Queen's University

Queen's University Employee Reviews

Exceptional University and Community

Queen's offers exceptional professional opportunities and benefits in an incredibly innovative and balanced environment.It is a beautiful campus to both study and work at; immersed within a city of Canada's richest history. Queen's is diverse and inclusive, it has global reach while being deeply committed to the Kingston community. Highly recommend Queen's for the professional and life opportunities.

Pros

Endless intellectual capital

Cons

Endless intellectual capital

Understaffed and disorganized

Biggest issues are: disorganization, no communication, slow administration, no direction, lack of response, decentralized management structureI do not feel safe to be open with my coworkers and management about being a member of the LBGTQ+ community. The individual departments exploit part time employees by dangling the "carrot" in front of them with the vague possibility of full time employment.I do not recommend trying to work multiple part time positions. It negatively impacts your mental health. At the end of each day I'm so tired mentally and need time to recover to the point I don't feel I could NOT do any extra professional development. I'd change the hiring process, forcing the hiring managers actually talk with the coworkers of the potential employee and less emphasis of story time with the new hire. To me the hiring process is biased against those who have a oral and written learning disability, and/or introverts.

Pros

job security, benefits, pension

Cons

job advancement, horrible cost of living adjustment

Relaxed fun competitive stressful just like any other job if you love your job you'll love the place you work...pay could be a little more or more fair but overall great job

Understaffed and disorganized.

The employees are all lovely people who are friendly and welcoming but sometimes it's like management forgets you exist. It takes weeks for them to even send you the forms for your employee information, it was over a month before I received my first paycheck because no one sent me the financial forms until I was forced to track someone down. There's no clear idea who you report to. They don't provide on the job training, or even what exactly is expected of you. There is a severe lack of communication between management and employees.

Pros

Prestigious university, looks great on resume, independence, good schedule, great compensation

Cons

Working Contracts are hard, but rewarding

I have worked with many different departments within the University. Each one was so different from the last. But the skills and knowledge I have picked up through my time there was life changing. Most everyone was so nice and welcoming. Even though you were only on contract. They still treated you as part of the team.

Pros

5 Dollar Friday, Perks, Discounts, Lunches, Pay, Benefits, Pension, Equality, No Judgement

Cons

Parking

Amazing Experience

Being a part of all year social at queens university made my first-year experience all that much better. I was able to meet many other like-minded students and had the opportunity to step out of my comfort zone and attend events that I many not have otherwise.

Fun workplace

Great culture and I really enjoyed my time working with everyone. The management is accepting. The opportunities are endless. I enjoyed working with my colleagues.

Kind professors

Best place ever! great people and so many opportunities to gain your experience especially in research. Many professors are kind enough to take you in as a research assistant and act as your mentor

Educational

I learned a lot from my professors and the Masters students I worked under. I appreciated the fact that I got to work with some of the best minds in the field I was to go into.

Great group of researchers

The Biology Department has a lot of capable researchers who are active in their fields. It's a great University with a lot of history to be a part of.

Jobs at Queen's University

See more jobs

Great Community

Working for Physical Plant Services has been a really rewarding experience over the last few years. If you put the work in, there is plenty of room for advancement within PPS and other departments C

Pros

Unionized

Cons

Pay

Excellent work environment

Plenty of scope for professional development. Highly collaborative workplace. Opportunity to interact with people from all walks of life. Supportive management.

Extremely positive and fun

I have nothing to review i only volunteered as a camp counsellor for 2 weeks during the summer of 2014, where I helped children with crafts and field trips, The work environment was extremely positive and fun to be in

Productive and Fast Paced Environment

Great facilities, great work environment and excellent management staff. I would highly recommend this job to current students at Queen's as it is an excellent job to integrate into your professional experience and class schedule.

Productive, collaborative workspace

This workplace is very self directed. You are responsible for knowing what to do and when. Other responsibilities include maintaining communication with professors and students. The professors are always there to support you and assist with any inquiries or difficulties that are met along the way.

Departmental Leadership is weak and generally inexperienced

- co-workers are generally excellent however teams are hindered by senior leadership - decisions are frequently made based on who leadership “like” rather than who can do the job - all of this leads to a stressful work environment where people worry about their future

Pros

Can get post secondary education benefits for family members

Cons

Expensive parking

productive and fun workplace

Good atmosphere with friendly relationship between employees. You can dress whatever you like. Equipment are satisfactory. everything is good and I totally recommend it

Productive and fun workplace

Very collaborative and fun team to work with. Management leads accordingly and fosters a workplace culture that balanced hard work and a healthy level of fun.

Good employer, wants everyone to be happy

A great employer, and managers in general were fun to work with. Job training was extensive and really prepared you for what to expect. Had an awesome experience.

Okay place to work

A lot of people here are stuck in their ways. Think twice before you leave a city job to join this organization. If you are too ambitious, this might not be the place for you.

Good working environment

Great and easy-going co-workers, great support staff. Lounge available and lots of on-campus and off-campus supporting resources for students, staff, faculty.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Queen's University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3