Queen's University

Queen's University Employee Reviews

Canada157 reviews
I have worked with many different departments within the University. Each one was so different from the last. But the skills and knowledge I have picked up through my time there was life changing. Most everyone was so nice and welcoming. Even though you were only on contract. They still treated you as part of the team.
Pros
5 Dollar Friday, Perks, Discounts, Lunches, Pay, Benefits, Pension, Equality, No Judgement
Cons
Parking
Being a part of all year social at queens university made my first-year experience all that much better. I was able to meet many other like-minded students and had the opportunity to step out of my comfort zone and attend events that I many not have otherwise.
Great culture and I really enjoyed my time working with everyone. The management is accepting. The opportunities are endless. I enjoyed working with my colleagues.
Best place ever! great people and so many opportunities to gain your experience especially in research. Many professors are kind enough to take you in as a research assistant and act as your mentor
I learned a lot from my professors and the Masters students I worked under. I appreciated the fact that I got to work with some of the best minds in the field I was to go into.
The Biology Department has a lot of capable researchers who are active in their fields. It's a great University with a lot of history to be a part of.
Working for Physical Plant Services has been a really rewarding experience over the last few years. If you put the work in, there is plenty of room for advancement within PPS and other departments
C
Pros
Unionized
Cons
Pay
Plenty of scope for professional development.
Highly collaborative workplace.

Opportunity to interact with people from all walks of life.

Supportive management.
I have nothing to review i only volunteered as a camp counsellor for 2 weeks during the summer of 2014, where I helped children with crafts and field trips, The work environment was extremely positive and fun to be in
People make 24 an hour grandfathered with full benefits and the new hires only make 15, 16 an hour working out to be 1700 a month. Casuals are told they will be hired full time, full benefits, free tuition. Don't believe those words, you'll make 200 a week waiting to double that . The awful feature is that you'll work harder than guys ditching their shift two hours in and get paid half of their pay. There is also not free tuition.

The $24 an hour workers sleep on the job,

leave four hours early in an 8 hour shift and never get consequences. The casuals and new workers are forced to carry their load. The pay is unacceptable for a workplace of Queen's stature.
Great facilities, great work environment and excellent management staff. I would highly recommend this job to current students at Queen's as it is an excellent job to integrate into your professional experience and class schedule.
This workplace is very self directed. You are responsible for knowing what to do and when. Other responsibilities include maintaining communication with professors and students. The professors are always there to support you and assist with any inquiries or difficulties that are met along the way.
- co-workers are generally excellent however teams are hindered by senior leadership
- decisions are frequently made based on who leadership “like” rather than who can do the job

- all of this leads to a stressful work environment where people worry about their future
Pros
Can get post secondary education benefits for family members
Cons
Expensive parking
Good atmosphere with friendly relationship between employees. You can dress whatever you like. Equipment are satisfactory. everything is good and I totally recommend it
Very collaborative and fun team to work with. Management leads accordingly and fosters a workplace culture that balanced hard work and a healthy level of fun.
A great employer, and managers in general were fun to work with. Job training was extensive and really prepared you for what to expect. Had an awesome experience.
A lot of people here are stuck in their ways. Think twice before you leave a city job to join this organization. If you are too ambitious, this might not be the place for you.
Great and easy-going co-workers, great support staff. Lounge available and lots of on-campus and off-campus supporting resources for students, staff, faculty.
Great people with a variety of areas to work in, lots of ways to get involved and very accommodating. Always a lot of things to do and keep busy but work is often fun and fulfilling
The position I'm reviewing is: CTE Online Instructor (BC). Continuing Teacher Education. As an online instructor, you can work anywhere at any time. I teach three different Math courses for teachers in BC. Math Using Tech, Math Strategies for At-Risk Students and Math in BC Elementary Schools. You meet amazing people from all over the province (virtually of course) and guide/instruct them through the courses. Courses are about 8 - 10 weeks long. You never "meet" or see the students (called candidates) face to face, but maintaining contact is key. The people at Queen's are great with trouble shooting as well when there are tech issues. The pay is $345 per student per course. I love working here and plan to for a long while. :)
Hours were 8-4 Monday to Friday. Age ranged from 15-23. No supervision during the day and work was hardly completed, working conditions were ridiculous for a minimum wage casual job.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Queen's University. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3