Qualia Counselling Services logo
View all Qualia Counselling Services reviews

Qualia Counselling Services

Qualia Counselling Services Employee Review

Proceed with Caution

I had a mixed experience working at Qualia. The clinical team at Q6 and Brantford are compassionate, knowledgeable, and kind. They all seem to care about their clients and the work they are doing. I did not feel very supported by management. Qualia is working with a vulnerable population in Q6 and I did not feel like they were providing enough supervision. I had supervision scheduled once per month, and on call if needed, however, the supervisors were usually busy teaching, or taking time off. Management seemed to spread themselves thin between teaching the CBT course, supervising clinicians and running the business. The staff at Q6 recommended more peer support meetings, training focusing on intergenerational trauma, more knowledge on the Indigenous population and local resources. However, none of these resources were provided. There was also not clinical supervision that felt as if it was indigenous informed. The company primarily uses CBT and teaches CBT through Laurier. They did not offer staff any discount for taking these courses and they often made obtaining these courses a condition of working here. However, they did offer pay raises for getting certified. Many of the staff were paid contractors and only made a small portion compared to what the company was given. There was a lot of work that went unpaid, such as session prep and note taking. For employees, they are allocated an hour lunch. If they had to take notes or prep over lunch (sometimes due to having 7 clients in one day), the company did not allow you to earn comp time. They said this work should instead be -

2.0Job security/advancement

Bad Experience

I was initiallly excited about the opportunity to work at Qualia after my interview, but this quickly changed once the job began. Days were full seeing clients, which was nice experience, but the company expected you to complete case notes within the hour of seeing clients with no additional compensation (as a contractor). Therefore many unpaid hours were spent each week completing notes. Team meetings were also scheduled each month without pay.I remember very few training opportunities during my time there, which they said would be frequent in my interview. Fellow colleauges were all very nice. However, it was hard to develop a positive, close-knit work environment/culture due to business and pressure to retain clients. The company seemed to evaluate your performance significantly on retention rate (i.e. how many sessions your clients had). Management were to apparently provide monthly supervision, but this was often cancelled or rescheduled due to their busniess either teaching or running the business. I did get the feeling their primary focus was on making money...almost felt like a pyramid scheme, given how busy clinicians were (and how little we were compensated).

Extremely disrespectful

They only care about how many clients they can get. It is very difficult to focus on doing a good job while worrying about how you can get your client to book the next session.  They lost sight of their purpose by focusing on making money, All what they care about is NUMBERS, they put you under a lot of  pressure to get clients to come back, good to have experience but get out of there when you can

Pros

Very flexible schedule, Free beverages for staff and clients are nice, Great location, Very nice building and office.

Cons

It seems that the “excellent” reviews below were written within days apart, Fake sadly

Wonderful place to work

Qualia is a great place to work. Support is offered by admin staff, colleagues, and management. Qualia provides supervision and offers meetings where teaching, learning, and coaching occur, which is available to all of their clinicians. Qualia genuinely cares about the well being of their staff and clients. Qualia supports staff in their personal and professional development. Qualia obtains feedback from clients about client care and their experiences. This feedback is requested for quality assurance and it is used to improve client services. The work culture is supportive and the staff are a wonderful bunch of people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Qualia Counselling Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement