PVS CONTRACTORS INC.

PVS CONTRACTORS INC. Employee Reviews

Canada19 reviews

Save your sanity

PVS has gone from a "mom and pop shop" to a typical corporate atmosphere. Unless you have a certain style of rapport with upper management, don't expect a promotion or much of anything. If they don't like you, you'll know it! They will be on you for every little thing until you get fed up and quit or until they can legally fire you. Some situations felt like a set up to make me look bad so they had a reason to write me up. I know I am not the only person who they've made feel this way.

Decent place to work. They are pretty new to the game in Alberta. Have a few kinks to work out.

I have been a locator for 12 years in both private and utility locating. This was a decent company. They paid ok based on experience. You were home every night. They need to work a few wrinkles out as they are an Ontario company new to Alberta. For new employees that have never done this type of work training was pretty inadequate. They could give people more support in the field.

Pros

Godd hours in busy season.

Cons

Seasonal work

Growing company, lots of opportunity

New management is a breath of fresh air. They genuinely care about you and want to see the company do better. New ideas are encouraged and they actually listen. The company is growing and adopting new technology. You're expected to work hard, but you're rewarded for it. Opportunity to work your way up. Overall a great place to work.

Pros

Great benefits, good environment

Cons

Seasonal highs and lows

Extremely Awfully Run Company & Low Pay

Worked here and left last year, wish I never worked here in the first place, extremely low pay, abusive management. NEVER WORK HERE IN YOUR LIFE🤡🤡🤡

Pros

Cons

Lack of accountability, low pay, bad management, long hours

Overall good experience

Enjoyed working there, good people and good environment. You work outside so that’s a plus. Had good training program and a great health and safety rep

If I could give zero stars I would

I wasted a few months of my life working for PVS Locating. What seemed like a very promising opportunity turned into the biggest professional disappointment I have ever experienced. From the very first interview you will be fed lie after lie by the slimy management. They will never miss a moment to bad mouth competition to anyone that will listen to their garbage. Their “incentive program” is a laughable sham. They don’t want you to know your locate numbers so you just have to trust that they aren’t screwing you over. After three months of working like a dog and waiting for their bogus incentive (all the while being told you’re going to make crazy money, just hold out) the day came to pay up and we were blown off without seeing a dollar in back pay like we hadn’t kept their contract above water with half the staff normally required. To quote a manager “We are paid too high hourly for what we put out in work volume”. The final straw was after the loser manager said I had to work harder and get more done in less hours and then spoke negatively about myself to another locator. Do not work for PVS if you have any self respect as a locator or as a human being. Upper management is soulless and they should be ashamed.

Pros

Absolutely Nothing

Productive workplace

No information provided regarding contract loss. Worked for a year in this company. Although it was nice to work with management but pvs layed off almost 80 employees without any notice.

DPT/Utility Locator

Company management sucks, field supers were great but were hindered by poor managers. They expect alot of work to be done fast but they keep loading you up with extra utilities then not giving decent raises every year. 3 to 5 cent raises are unacceptable.

its a job

it was a job for the time being. piece work is okay. hard to make if you aren't close to the supervisors though since they control the tickets. it was a stepping stone but a good experience. got my foot into the union

Lowest Paying Locating Company

Overall embarrassing company Training is awful If you receive a damage you’re on your own Stay clear of this company Fake promises and equipment that won’t work properly

Pros

Free car and gas (poor quality)

Cons

Everything about the job

Terrible Experience

Supervisors AND TRAINER are liars all of them, management is TERRIBLE, worked for them for 2 years and couple months, massive permanently lay off a month ago with no previous advice after working last year as slaves. Lay off wasn’t becuse weather conditions it was becuse They loss a big contract with the city of Toronto for the horribe management Pvs had over 2017 and 2018. Lead hands give you the dirty work and keeping for them the easy tickets, no way for you to make ANY incentive, and unfairly them making lots extra easy money, They give you OLD cars for work, with lots of mechanical problems, and at the same time make you to listen an unhealthy looking man talking about SAFETY for hours, (what a joke!), dealing with lots stress, angry contractors for the delays becuse their bad management, making FAKE promises about encreasing the payment and never happened, new guys making almost minimum wage, and being underestimated and miss treated by the supervisors who don’t care about you AT ALL, and are very rude with cero manners or profesionalism either, you have to pay for the work car parking If you have not driveway at home, computers are obsolete, no IT departament in Toronto, the office is in St Catherine’s, the waiting to get your computer repaired was ridiculous, IT is a total garbage, the guy has not clue about IT, using a total dinosaur software definitely a total mess, they have no HR office in Toronto either, everithing is true St Catherines office by email, and even the Christmas party’s every year was in Niagara region, Pvs never made us feel part of them because -

Pros

They pay the gas

Cons

Bad payment, Bad management, Old cars, Lots of work, Lots of fake promeses.

Fake promises made and no help avail from any1. Do thier dirty work then get let go.

Worked here for 2 years. You are forced to join the union if you want to work in Toronto. No one listening or looking out for the guys that take care of the dirty work to make this company look good. No plans in place for when they loose a huge contract so they do a massive layoff and give no1 notice then let you fend for yourself after you jump through hoops to gain more contracts and keep companies happy. All smoke and mirrors working here. Look elsewhere and work where your more than just a number. Money isn't worth the stress. Gong show management as well. Good luck if pursuing a career here. SMH

Pros

Get a beat up used and abused work car but gas is paid

Cons

Stress, broken promises, no job security at all. Bad bidders for contracts.

Locate under ground utilities

I think my time there is over. no chance for advancement and stress level is through the roof. And upper management did not listen to anything the locators suggested when they first took over. now its an unrepairable mess.

Pros

work by myself

Cons

stress

What a trash company

From management to tools to fleet, everything about this place is trash and they should be embarrassed. Locating is already a disrespected job you don't need it from your boss. People's lives are at risk and the job pays peanuts. They'll tell you there's money to be made but its a ruse. Steer way clear.

Plenty of learning and education opportunities.

It has been a good place to work to the last 11 years. Weekends always off, regular hours, encouraged to always take lunch breaks, staff recognition events

Pros

Benefits are amazing

Cons

I am not built for my current position

exciting company

great place to learn your craft and master it, tons of different characters with excellent personality for you to learn from. management and supervisors are very compassionate and reasonable.

Ok

Not a bad place to work for. Benefits, pension and take home vehicle. Supervisors are helpful and supportive, can advance in company if desired.

Productive and fast pace

Typical day would be driving from one location to another to locate underground line before any type of construction starts.

Pros

work vehical and company gas card

Cons

stress of underground lines may not be where indicated

Never the Same always different.

-Start at 8 am, -Review work assigned to me -pickup equipment need for the day. -drive to city where I will be working that day. -Arrive at the first customers house and greet customers -complete work to be done -watch the time so I can complete all work assigned -call around to other Tech's if they need help at end of day. Worked with a good bunch of guys very steady work. Like talking with customers to help them.

Pros

never the same.

Cons

some late night at busy times of the year, very stressful job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PVS CONTRACTORS INC.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5