Putting Edge Employee Reviews

Poor Management
Entertainment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON17 May 2019
A typical day here consists of doing till, redeeming arcade tickets for prizes, being a birthday party host and daily cleaning. However, hours are said to be based off our performance but in actuality they are based off of how the manager feels about you that week. There is a severe lack of communication going on. Typically if a problem arises that the manager takes issue with, you will have to find out from other staff or weeks after the fact and be confused as to why you have significantly less hours the next week. New "policies" are being added constantly regardless of if they make sense. It often seems as though there are making up rules as they go and not thinking them through causing lots of confusion and added stress on the employees. But will bend the rules to fit their own wants/needs. Though it is a fast paced environment it is now a highly stressful one due to management. Due to busy shifts you will usually not get a break, it's rare to get to a break at all during your shift. You are being constantly watched on the cameras from both the store manager and head office. Though you give them your availability they will continue to schedule you on days you have told them you cannot work. I would not recommend working here if you are looking for a part time job.
Cons
No guaranteed breaks
Awful place to work, don't waste your time applying
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON16 April 2019
Putting Edge is a horrible place to work. The management here is an absolute joke. Everything is micro managed, everything you could possibly think of. They do not know how to do their jobs, but believe they're the best thing since sliced bread. There is no secret on how to manage this location well. It has been the best performing one for many many years, but the managers believe they are the masterminds behind the work. For the schedules, if you want to dispute your availability every week, then this is the place for you. They either don't check your availability supplied electronically (for ease of use), or just don't look at it. Always a toss up between the 2 week to week. You are rarely given the time you requested off, unless you really push for it. They do this thing called "paid breaks" where you get to eat for 10-15 minutes and that's your break for the entire shift. The only thing that is good about this job is your coworkers beneath the management.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Literally everything
Great introduction to the workforce with management experience.
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON21 August 2018
Retail customer service job where managing timelines for golfers experience was one of the largest focal points of each shift. Maintaining a steady flow of players on the course as well as aiding players in the arcade to ensure that each guest had a fun time with their Putting Edge experience was a daily duty for all staff.

Balancing the till at the beginning and end of each shift and personal responsibility for opening or closing of the store and ensuring all games and public areas were clean, working, and safe. Each day would consist of following up with party reservations and bookings, greeting all guests in the store with occasional upselling where guests were informed of deals and membership packages. Managing wait times and delegating tasks to other employees to balance time at the front of store with cleaning and break times.

Breaks were only given if guest flow was slow enough to allow, as management I would allow for coworkers to take break times and lunch at higher priority than myself. If shifts are busy and long I was able to judge when small windows would be allowed to give coworkers short breaks through long busy shifts without impacting guests experience.
Pros
Great work environment with friendly staff
Cons
Short hours and only part time employment
disrespectful and rude workspace
Entertainment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON19 July 2018
everyone treated each other with disrespect, a lot of tension in the workspace and manager treated employees poorly. My job was to take care of the party group I was assigned to. I would lead the children into the golf course and explain to them how to play then afterwards chaperone and make sure everyone is having fn. Once that was done, I would bring them to their party room and serve them pizza and drinks. The children then had the time to play with the arcade while I cleaned up the party room. (sweeping/mopping the floor, sanitizing the tales, taking out the trash, washing dishes). Closing duties required dusting all machines and checking that they are function properly.
Pros
free round of golf
Cons
not enough hours
Worst Place to work by far
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Nepean9 March 2018
The head office at putting edge makes working for the company impossible. My location had amazing management but head office pushed us away by micromanagement...as in, they monitored us in the workplace by watching the security cameras and reporting on what they saw (highly illegal)
We didn't get ANY breaks, ever. I once worked 14 hours straight and head office wrote me up for sitting down at the front desk for 10 minutes.
Worst.Job.Ever.
Cons
Long hours, no breaks, horrible management
Absolutely Horrible
Party Host/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 March 2018
They mistreated every worker there. They also threatened to take tips away because a customer was not happy. Pay was below minimum wage at $10.30 when I was 17. Rude and ungrateful owners. Bathrooms and food area were filled with bugs. Luckily their putting edge got shut down.
great first job experience
PARTY HOST (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 June 2017
I was able to work with a lot of different people and individuals which was great for my first job experience. I learned how to work under pressure and develop leadership and communication skills. My manager really helped with this aspect by setting high standards which I strived to achieve every shift.
Pros
free food
Cons
Difficult kids to deal with
Entertainment Co-ordinator/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON20 September 2016
I love this job because the staff is basically one big family and it is like leaving my friends to have to get another job but the reason is because the commute is too long. Management was good, staff taught me valuable lessons in customer care and management.
Pros
A lot of free food
Cons
close is at 12:30
Did not work there for long
ENTERTAINMENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QC19 March 2015
I did not work at Putting Edge for long, but the working environment seemed to be nice. A good place for first time workers. I left for a position closer to home.
Great Job while I was in school
Entertainment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON30 July 2014
This was the perfect job for when I was in Highschool. The hours were great and they were very respectful of my school schedule.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Every Weekend
Fun place to work with great people.
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON2 May 2014
For being a fairly simple job, I really loved working there. The job itself was easy to learn and not very challenging, but the part you'll like the most about it is the people and the environment. The company has a really fun loving head office made of people that genuinely enjoy their job and are very personable and easy to talk too. I got to work with and was trained by the owners of the establishment, which is something you don't get from big, faceless companies and I really loved that aspect. On top of that they were fantastic people that really cared about their employees. We were encouraged to send fun emails to head office with the names of the birthday kids and requested music. The atmosphere is great for people-loving individuals. You get to work in an environment where people are there to play games and have a good time and that rubs off on you. You're not just a clerk, you're a party planner, a DJ, and a golf and video game enthusiast. Planning and supervising birthday parties can get a little hectic and stressful at times, especially if you're dealing with rambunctious kids and difficult parents, but for the most part the children were fun to work with and the parents are very nice and grateful. The only complaints I would have are the pay is minimum wage and there are no health benefits, but if you're a fun, energetic and helpful person that's good with kids you'll get great tips. I would recommend this job to everyone.
Pros
Extra tips from birthday parties.
Cons
No health benefits.
Monotonous workplace
Event coordinator, (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 February 2014
Working here started off very well, the hours were good, people were friendly and the management worked well with the employees. However, as time went on, things started going downhill.