Purolator

Purolator Job security & advancement reviews

Clear
3.3Job security & advancement

Warehouse

Fast-paced work environment is exactly what I loved about this place. However, I experienced a life changing injury on the job at which point the company let me down. Don’t get injured and work your life away and you’ll do great, become a “burden” to the company however and they will disgrace your good name in any which way they can. They will not support your recovery.

Easy job

I was a temporary free-floater who was hired for the Covid rush, training was pretty easy and our contract kept getting extended, only issue was they shut down the shift I was on and was let go due to no opening position in the shift I could do.

Pros

Free lunches, unionized

Cons

Short hours

Work is fast faced and heavy

Worked here as an AM Sorter , typically starts your day moving cages and put them into place .Working here is a bad experience for me . I have a lot of work experience but this place is very chaotic and fast paced its normal due to conveyor type of job .The pay isnt that good unless you're a PRE Loader which much easier and has premium . There's a lot of heavy lifting and pressure and please do not expect anyone to help you Union Spoiled brats has lots for reasons not to do so . They won't allow you to go home even at the end of your shift , you gotta stay there until the line is finished . Management sucks as the end of the day no " thank you's and good jobs " they will just see your effin mistake . Aside from that it has good benefits and all others stuffs . Advancement is slow as there is seniority basis or the manager doesnt allow you to apply any other job positions.

Pros

Cons

Long Hours, chaotic poor management

Really good company.

Overall a very good company. Great people to work with along with great pay. If it wasnt for the fact it was temp work I would still be there. For the most part cant say enough about them.

Pros

Enjoyable to work for. Great pay to start off with.

Cons

Didnt realize I was hired as a temp, so getting laid off on Xmas Eve was a horrible thing to do to anyone.

Terrible place to work. Stay away.

Fast paced, heavy lifting. People constantly getting hurt on the job, and unless you're unable to move they still expect you to come in and work on "modified" duties. the building is filthy with thick layers of soot everywhere. workers are undervalued, and most managers have no people skills and scream, or just harass employees with nonsense. The Teamster union is a joke. minimum breaks - 15min for every 3hrs, one 30min break if you're working 7-8hrs. your sick/floater days get used automatically for holidays that the company snakes out of actually paying you for. 50cents an hour extra for driving a forklift. $30 A WEEK premium for taking on plenty of extra responsibilities as a Team Leader. no midnight premium pay. Frequent Covid19 outbreaks with no hazard pay. no real advancement here, you're expected to work like a mule for little pay. Having said all that, I do enjoy the cultural diversity, and work associates are surprisingly humble to be working here.. but most people don't last a month after getting hired.

Pros

Raises are automatic

Cons

way too many.

Good Company

I was an owner operator courier in the BC interior.Pay was more than fair to run your own van and live pretty well. Pay was based on how many stops you did each day.You have a little bit of freedom with your hours. I chose to start early and be done early in the afternoon. Some guys liked to start later and work until five or six.The only problem is that in order to advance to a better delivery route you have to wait for someone above you to retire or quit. This can take a while but the increase in income can be a few hundred dollars. The job can be pretty stress free as long as you run your van and route like your own little business. Set money aside for maintenance and repairs. Pay yourself a decent wage. The holidays have more deliveries so this means a lot more work but also a lot more money. I would easily be able to give myself Christmas bonuses.

Pros

Pay. Freedom.

Cons

Slow advancement

Very fast paced, little stressful but decent workplace.

My job as a trailer loader was a temporary position that paid well. Very fast paced and stressful for a new person learning on the fly. The people knew their duties and were usually helpful when you were backed up.This is a company that I would definitely like to work as a full-time employee. I knew many drivers who dropped or picked up over a 5 or 6 year span from my previous employer of many years.

Pros

Guaranteed Lunch and coffee breaks, decent pay.

Cons

Only temporary position, somewhat stressful at times.

It's very fast paced with production daily

My experience with the company was very good very at least 9 years. Was able to learn a lot and was challenge to try different departments worked my way up to senior clerk looking after the afternoon billing department.The wages could have been better but we're at par according to other courier companies.Was dedicated as an employee but when they started too downsize was let go on my 10th year.The payout wasnt the greatest either.

Pros

Opportunities too learn and move up were great.

Cons

Money could have been better

Technology and communication

Improved drastically. Purolator has made some investments in the past that set the company back but has made up for it in the present and will continue into the future. Get passed the 3 month probation and you will have some decent job security and union power

Pros

You can work a maximum of 13.5 hours daily

Cons

Pandemic is like Christmas rush all year

Toxic Environment

A sorter job itself is not the absolute worst, unless it's at Purolator where they expect you to work at the speed of light to unload multiple trailers in 3 hours by yourself. Then to top it off they want you to help load the delivery vehicles, which every driver wants done differently. They pay about $1.50(more or less) over minimum and expect you to work like you're making $25+/hour.Want a short break between unloading the trailers or before helping to load the delivery vehicles? Too bad, you'll be reamed out, be seen as lazy, and possibly fired if you haven't worked enough to be part of the union.It is recommended to avoid this location as you will likely NOT be treated as an equal. If you are a mature person, you will not fit in with the childish culture and poor management.

Pros

Cons

Management, Toxic culture & co-workers, Few hours, Low pay, No advancement

Jobs at Purolator

See more jobs

monday-friday

The promotions are usually based on friendships and not necessarily on work ethics nor results .it is very difficult to move from a position to the next and even more difficult to move from a department to another.Sales is marginalized generally speaking and all decisions a

Pros

mon-fri 9-5

Cons

pay, environment, not open to new ideas

Review from a Long time Employee

I have enjoyed the 20 plus years I have worked at Purolator. The work environment is fast paced, you are expected to do your job and deliver packages on time and to the right place. Do your job and you will have no problems. If you want a great job with great pay and benefits and even a retirement pension Purolator is the place for you as long as your expectations are realistic. Do the job safely, accurately and on time and you will succeed. There is plenty of opportunity to advance within the company based on what path you choose to take. I started as a Dock worker and became a driver and have thought about moving to management many times but I enjoy the "Freedom" being on the road and not in an office brings.

Pros

Great pay and benefits Package!

Productive and Fun Workplace

One of the best place ever work with. Hoping it gets really busy to get back at it,The management is awesome and really friendly people, helping each other out is encouragement though some days are really challenging too but just like any places of work and there is room for growth once get regulated.

Pros

Great Place to work

Cons

Terms

Terrible

This company was the most disorganized place I have ever worked, as a temp there was very little training and no job security either.management here are snakes, and dishonest. (If they are around at all)Very "clicky" atmosphere also, if you don't fit with the "cool kids" then your talked about and made fun of.Pay is good for drivers but lock hands get shafted.

Pros

Cons

Disorganized, unfriendly, terrible management.

Fun temporary work

Hired in HR/L&D during busy period while company also managing response to COVID. Management will give you training and necessary coaching during your time there. The hardest part of the job is knowing what your functions when the company is currently adapting its processes and responsibilities. The most enjoyable part of the job are the coaches. My learning is this: Purolator does take good care of the training and development of its own permanent employees, but you are still essentially expendable if you are a temporary worker.

Pros

Good pay, Good Coaches, Collaborative and Independent work environment

Cons

Rare Temp to Permanent Hire

You are just one more employee

In this company you will find the following.Bullying, harassment and discrimination. Management doesn't care if you work 20 years or 1 year. There is no empathy for employees. Is just business. They treat employee the way they wanted. lately the manager is making mistake with the payroll and you ended up waiting 4 weeks to get your payroll fix.They are hiring temporary employees; once the busy season is gone they sent them out.I will said the manages are rude and have zero ethical on how to treat employees. You have no freedom to speak out- otherwise they offer you to get out. so if you want to work you have to keep your mouth shut and agree with whatever they said.

Pros

salary is ok for the job

Cons

worst work environment- meet the discrimination and bullying

Dishonest hiring practisss amid Covid-19

I was hired in february for a 4:30-8:30 evening shift. Two layoffs and six months later they tell me I can't return to work unless I take a shift with no transportation at night.Wasted a LOT of my time that could have gone towards finding honest employment. I would get anxiety over the next HR phone call constantly telling me my shift is gone or my workplace changed. Good riddance!

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Poor hours, dishonest management

Fast paced and cooperative

I was hired a s temporary hire in retail department and my experience was fabulous. Despite being a faced paced environment, I really enjoyed as the coworkers, supervisors were very helpful and kind. They were with you all the time to ensure you are doing well, help you in learning and being there to cope up with you all the time.

Relief courier

So I got hired for a relief courier. Well all they want you to do is sorting. There was no talk from the manager about further training to do scanner training, pre check training or getting my driving certification with them. You get hired and have to do a week of online training. Which is paid. My first day, I got there and had a quick walk around the depot and put to sorting right away with no scanner training. You basically have to learn it as you go. It’s easy to learn. Just know that Hr and your manager are just hiring for roles they need. Which is basically just sorters.

Pros

Learn lots of new policies and procedures about Purolator, Once hired and in the spot you want they treat you with respect, Scheduled pay raises.

Cons

No communication about job roles, you get hired for one job and do something else completely. Only part time hours. 2am-8am

wonderful place to work

Purolator is a well established company that cares about its employees. From the benefits and salary to life work balance. They have a work hard but enjoy life approach that makes it a company you would want to work for.

Pros

benefits and salary are above basic

Cons

they are essential services so expect to work when other businesses are closed

No problems with Management.

I would have still liked to work there but I have retired after 28 yrs service. Its a good Canadian company to work for. It's a good start for students a lot of opportunities etc

Pros

Non

Cons

Non

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Purolator. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement