Purolator logo
Purolator

Purolator Employee Reviews for Sorter

Work is fast faced and heavy

Worked here as an AM Sorter , typically starts your day moving cages and put them into place .Working here is a bad experience for me . I have a lot of work experience but this place is very chaotic and fast paced its normal due to conveyor type of job .The pay isnt that good unless you're a PRE Loader which much easier and has premium . There's a lot of heavy lifting and pressure and please do not expect anyone to help you Union Spoiled brats has lots for reasons not to do so . They won't allow you to go home even at the end of your shift , you gotta stay there until the line is finished . Management sucks as the end of the day no " thank you's and good jobs " they will just see your effin mistake . Aside from that it has good benefits and all others stuffs . Advancement is slow as there is seniority basis or the manager doesnt allow you to apply any other job positions.

Pros

Cons

Long Hours, chaotic poor management

Good benefits. Fairly Physically demanding tasks. Annoying workplace culture.

The job activities is typically as described. Heavy lifting (sometimes up to 30kg), a bit of walking around (especially at bigger hubs). Attention to detail and the ability to read labels fast, good memory and spatial co-ordination (especially when stacking boxes).Anyone who's serious with a little common sense can master most of the tasks.The training isn't as good as it should be, but it's okay. Some training content doesn't match real work environment expectations. Unfortunately, temporary staff are used from time to time and they receive no training.*You get Good starting pay/benefits (compared to similar positions from competing companies) in a Unionised position. Lots of overtime opportunities, especially if you are experienced.*Warehouse environment have little to no temperature regulation (trailers are really cold in the winter and even worse, you could get a heatstroke in the summer seeing as the tasks are physically demanding). Management can be disorganised sometimes.Proper work ethics are never enforced, thus a hard/serious worker can be taken advantaged of (you may find yourself covering for lazier/unserious workers, especially if you're a male worker).

Great job, management is beyond difficult

Must be an early bird for this shift. Great people to work with but many burned and bitter towards management. Low morale. Manager has no intention of hiring permanently. Long history of rotating staff to save money.

Pros

If you are an early bird, great job.

Cons

Very fast paced environment as we are loading from belt to vehicles. Lifting min 70lb required. Will have a day of classroom training and you will be doing online training at home and will be paid for time on above. You must know how to use pallet. You will be starting at on call casual employee and will move up from there. Very strict attendance.

Pros

Will pay for steel toed boots, Free on site disposable medical grade facemasks, 2 or 3 breaks per night

Cons

Standing for most of shift except breaks

Fast paced with hard work but secure and stable Job

Hard work and stressful in fast paced environment, u will spend every minute working..salary is good and Job is secured cause it's unionized. Follow your manager typically cause multiple managers will be available on site and u may get confused.

Pros

Good Salary and polite employees

Cons

U will work every single minute in shift, only in break time u will sit to have rest

Toxic Environment

A sorter job itself is not the absolute worst, unless it's at Purolator where they expect you to work at the speed of light to unload multiple trailers in 3 hours by yourself. Then to top it off they want you to help load the delivery vehicles, which every driver wants done differently. They pay about $1.50(more or less) over minimum and expect you to work like you're making $25+/hour.Want a short break between unloading the trailers or before helping to load the delivery vehicles? Too bad, you'll be reamed out, be seen as lazy, and possibly fired if you haven't worked enough to be part of the union.It is recommended to avoid this location as you will likely NOT be treated as an equal. If you are a mature person, you will not fit in with the childish culture and poor management.

Pros

Cons

Management, Toxic culture & co-workers, Few hours, Low pay, No advancement

The managers are so good and very helpful especially Mr Victor and Mr Derel

I will definitely recommend this company. I loved working here. Everyone is so nice and very helpful. Co-workers are so co-operative. I have learned alot from this place.

Pros

Comfortable schedule

Fast paced

Pretty good to work for but definitely favoritism and some stand around doing nothing. Also when it slows down if your not young enough your gone. If you fall or get hurt they say I fall all the time. Some drivers treat sorters badly.

Pros

Cons

Not enough hours

Nice Environment

Good team and good work environment People do their work without any problem, a friendly atmosphere. I think a little music might release some tension in the storage area.

Pros

Flexibles

Cons

A bus for the employeer can be great.

Run away.

I worked as an AM Sorter and i was made to do tasks different from what i was employed to do. The Union representative is useless. The manager wants me sucking up to him. You have to make sure your hours worked are well captured because they always find ways to reduce your hours. If you clock in 40 hours a week you might see 25hours on your pay slip. Their workflow is so senseless. Not a good place to work. The old employees are snitches.

Pros

Cons

They cheat you on your hours clocked in. Their work culture is horrible.

Jobs at Purolator

Sorter positions
See more jobs

Dishonest hiring practisss amid Covid-19

I was hired in february for a 4:30-8:30 evening shift. Two layoffs and six months later they tell me I can't return to work unless I take a shift with no transportation at night.Wasted a LOT of my time that could have gone towards finding honest employment. I would get anxiety over the next HR phone call constantly telling me my shift is gone or my workplace changed. Good riddance!

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Poor hours, dishonest management

If you would not die you would be lucky to have a life changing injury

South Asian favouritism preferent people of certain ethnicities are preferred but management turns a blind eye. You would likely die trying here.

Pros

Slavery

Cons

Freedom when you finally quit.

Fast paced

Purolator overall could be a better company if the facility was more modern. They are a fairly good company to work for once they move into the new building. The salary does increase steadily. The benefits are very good.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Stressful

Purolator was a Great Experience for me

I had a great experience overall with Purolator. They are incredibly flexible and have great people there. The job is very monotonous, but it's good honest work. The only downside to the job is the management you get. My Calgary experience was by light years a quantum leap overall over my Richmond Depot. The nature of the PM Sorts are incredibly different in philosophy. So your mileage may vary that way. I met great people and wish everyone there nothing but the best. The virus forced me to walk away to go be with my family, but to be honest, I was ready to go. I had a good run.

Worth the hard work

This is a fast paced job with some heavy lifting. Be prepared to work hard but you get help if you need it. The company offers union membership after probation which offers enough benefits to compensate for the hard work. Down side is union dues are paid monthly and hours although guaranteed full time if in a full time position hours can vary depending on time of year and amount of freight.

good job

It Was challenging I was unloading and loading truck all night. Picking orders Sorter mail wrapping skids And doing other household chores Like cleaning

overall great place to work

good company to work for. competitive wages. full benifits provided. management is very helpful. good work ethics. ease of work provided lots of overtime hours during peak periods.

My experience at Purolator is great.

Great wage, easy job, comfortable hours and great work environment. Management is awesome and it’s very non stressful there. I love my job and what I do because it’s enjoyable.

My experience

Prestigious Company, great people , very energetic environment, Purolator give me the opportunity to learn new skills, new experience, I'm glad to be part of this grate Company.

productive and assertive.

on a typical day everyone is always busy because of the volume of freight that we are dealing with everyday. so we need to finish it sorting before the shift ends so that it will be ready for delivery the next day.

Stressfull, favoritism, no team work. Leadhand and manager not concern to employees health, safety hazard.

Compensation is good but takes time to get max pay rate, fast pace hazard and injury prone work place. Not guaranteed 40 hours work per week. Seniority applies, less 7hours work on lean season and max of 12 hours or more on peak season. Management does not allow personal leave. So you just have to call in sick to get your personal leave, no work no pay. Regular Shift starts at 12:30to 8:00am but not guaranteed it may start early but may end much earlier or later depend s on shipment arrival. hou12:30am or earlier

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Purolator. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement