Purolator

Purolator Employee Reviews for Owner Operator Driver

3.7Pay & benefits

terrible management no room for advancement and lots of layoffs

Not a good place to work, no job security and really bad work culture. Staff most of the time was ok but management sucked and didn't care about you they just wanted their work done.

I will not recommend to anyone this location

Stressful job management in this location are so brutal. I feel like they only hire me because they really busy after December and then after a couple of they They kick me out for Not much reason. Not

regular workplace

Work is outdoors on the road everyday doing deliveries. The most enjoyable part about this job is self management as well as meeting different people everyday.

Can be a good company if you have time to wait for advancement

This company is good in many ways, but I am giving it 2 stars based on my experience. I took on a tough route as an owner operator. I purchased a brand new van for the warranty. The route was a long distance shuttle run. I basically bought a job for $58000. My plan was to have a normal in town route after 2 years. This did not happen due to seniority and other drivers not quitting or retiring. My costs exploded during my 2nd year and my van warranty was soon to be over so I quit before things got uglier financially. The main problem is that my location was at the end of the line which meant we were the lowest priority. We got the freight last, we had apparently the crappiest warehouse in the province. There was a disconnect between the big city head district office and our middle of nowhere dot on a map. Two routes were combined into 1 to save money. Typical big corporation stuff. I saved Purolator a lot of money doing the job that 2 people used to do. I applied for transfers, but was only offered other slightly less horrible shuttle runs. My advice to anybody applying as an Owner Operator is to make sure you are not applying for a shuttle run as it will destroy you financially unless you can do all your own vehicle maintenance.

Pros

Payroll on time, good support staff

Cons

Little chance of advancement, shuttle runs severely underpaid

Fun and easy

Excellent place to work. Well organized. Great manager. Would strongly recommend anyone to work there. The company has scanners. Large facility to work out of. Well organized sorting facility, little to next to no mis sorts. You get paid for attempts. Excellent support staff for problem solving. Lots of freight during Q4. Company was capable of understanding the problems of extreme weather. Freight is usually small to mid sized easy to deliver to the customer. Alot of No signature required freight. Driver given manageable area to work. Most customers are easy to work with.

Pros

Great salary

Mind numbing

Worked as an owner/operator courier. Was steady work but that's about the best part. Found it mind numbing after the first month. Not much understanding/support from management and as cheap as can be. Had to work on my wedding day as the owner/op positions don't have any vacation/sick days. It was a good experience as it motivated me to quit and go into the electrical trade.

Pros

working without direct supervision

Cons

mind numbing repetitive work.

Productive, fun working.

If you really want to be in successful. Purolator has good progress option. Good working hours. Flexible Shifts. Good environment. Helpful staff. Best Managers.

minimal personal time with most employees

11 to 13 hr days, loaded truck in the AM left building got back in the evening, drove 300kms/day lower management just puppet to district manager no decision without going to him

Pros

self emploted

Cons

district manager

Jobs at Purolator