Purolator

Purolator Employee Reviews for Courier Driver

multi culture, and productive work place
based on my individual experience, very good work place and management, very decent salary, All the unit managers are very cool, especially my manager. lots of fun, many things to learn
The managers are brutal liars and thevteamstets are usless.
Courier Driver/Dock Hand (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 November 2019
The managers will invent reasons to fire you and then offer you a position on the dock. They can't get dock workers because the pace is brutal and sometimes impossible. The teamsters are useless.
Great place to work for
Courier Driver (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON6 November 2019
It was hard to get in so they took 2 month process to offer me the paperwork for the position.
I love it u goo to a lot of places but it’s stressful because u have to finish around 135 stops per day and the worst time is October to end of December u get up to 220 stops per day so for sure long hours
A bit weak union to fix some situations
Satisfactory
5 Ton Courier Driver/ Warehouse Sorter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 November 2019
Not a bad place to work. Fast paced but management was horrible. Employees were helpful, genuine and hardworking.

Organized but not efficient on a daily basis
Terminated without cause due to low volume
Courier Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2019
Package flow decreased after Christmas season and they fired people without cause.
Mandatory overtime to finish deliveries.
When loads got lighter, hours were cut as soon as you got back base and were expected to finish early.
Nothing but lies
Courier Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON22 September 2019
This company does nothing but lie. They hired 18 people last year and let every single one go days before completion of the probationary period including myself. This has now become a common practice. The company hires people during the busy season at a cheap rate of 18 bucks an hour. Days before your probation is up bye bye and they hire the next batch in February. Stay away
Pay was good weekly, very disorganized
Courier Driver (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 August 2019
Worked there for a couple months and liked my coworkers and Manager, but upper management had no clue and didn’t care about employees. Union was useless in dealing with employee problems. My coworkers and I were pressured into stressful work and almost impossible job expectations from upper management, and when we stated our frustrations only our direct manager cared but his hands were tied. Upper manager was an ignorant jerk, and union reps were incompetent / lazy. The best part was being on the road, when volumes were low, and not dealing with the disorganized chaos created by upper manager who was ignorant disconnected from reality of courier job barriers.
Pros
Good pay, good coworkers, good work/life balance
Cons
Upper management and union being useless trouble making liars
Productive and fun workplace with a table ten.
Courier Driver (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB1 August 2019
best company I've ever worked for fun environment fun activities bosses and Foreman's are all awesome and easy to get along with. too bad my father passed away and I had to go take over the family business it's just really hard to get back in once you leave do not ever leave this company. I have applied every month and it's still hard to get on... August 2019
Pros
Great environment
Cons
None straight
Bad management
Courier Driver (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC22 June 2019
Hired me just about November last year .saying they will train us while it s busy .but I was surprised they was no training at all we .were doing deliveries same as guys whos been doing that job for years requesting from us 80 to 100 stop an hour .then after the horrible busy season (Christmas)is done on the 5th day of Christmas they start letting us go one by one saying that we didn't meet there productivity
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Very long hours, bad management
Great company, but long hours.
Courier Driver (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 June 2019
Purolator is a great place with great people, but my main issue is with work and life balance. I enjoy working with them, but there is a lot of overtime on an almost daily basis.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Long hours, no time to eat lunch
Courier Driver/Mail (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB19 April 2019
Managers came & went. Some were great others no so much. As a result, the culture changed with each manager. This is still a good workplace with room for advancement.
Deceiving
Courier Driver (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON13 April 2019
This company is deceiving. They hire you then let you go after a couple of days for not passing driving test. I had already left my other job to work at Purolator.
Pros
Cons
deceiving
Courier Delivery (did not past the probation period).
Courier Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Anjou, QC19 February 2019
I'll try to give an honest review of this branch of the company:

I have worked for Purolator for three months as a courier driver. They cut me off at the end of my probation because I wasn't what they expected. This is not intended as a bad blood review. I'm trying to give you the low down if you aren't experienced as a driver. I was let go for productivity reasons and probably wasn't their best asset but I was trying hard everyday and was not slacking.

Pros:
-Management tries really hard to be nice and human.
-There is a great environment of respect and help in the workplace.
-The starting pay and future benefits is better than average.
-The job is really pleasant and you get to drive for the whole day without a boss nearby.
-You are given a week of theory and hands-on training before being sent to your depot to train with experienced employees on their runs.

Cons:
-Management does not give you a lot of feedback on your performance so it is hard to know if you are doing good according to their standards or if you aren't (this is not just me as a few of my colleagues had that issue)
-Depending on how well you know the city, you might struggle. Applications such as Road Warrior might smoothen your experience as an inexperienced driver.
-You have to try and find a strategy to spend the least time organizing your packages in the depot if you are a backup since your truck is not listed in the morning.
-Putting gas in your truck and getting deployed late will play on your day and how your commercials might be open or close.
-The standard policy is to do 11 stops
  more... an hours (averaging 5 to 6 minutes per delivery). In the balance, you have to take into considerations a few points:
*You do not know where you are being sent for the day if you are a backup or have never worked on a specific run.
*You have to organize your day in order to get the best out of traffic, weather (winter storms) and overall logistics like commercials which may or may not close at 17:00 (they may close at 15:30 and you are left with a lot of boxes to return to the depot).
*Finding the docks to a commercial place is harder than it seems. Some places receive their packages by the front, others by the back at a specific door, others have specific guidelines, some addresses are not clear.

The problem with all of those above is everyday you are rolling the dice and will have to work with what you have but they will evaluate you more or less equally to those who get "easier" deliveries. This might make surviving your 60 days of probation quite harder (or easier). Job security is great if you make it past the probation. Only thing is that you have to go through all those hoops before you make it. Any day that they choose to cut from your working means your probation is extended.
Garbage
Courier Driver (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC29 January 2019
Worked for the amazon division. Very unorganized.

They say you can take 30min break. but goodluck doing that.

Langley Location is the worst one.

Do not recommend
Pros
co workers
Cons
mangement, hours
Courier Driver (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 December 2018
longer than 8 hrs
must pick up over 100 lbs at times
A good place to work
Courier Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 September 2018
Purolator was a good company to work for. Salary was good and benefits were okay. As long as you did your job the management was good.You need good organizational skills. The hardest part of the job is to organize your day. As long as you did your job the management left you alone.
A steady job with opportunities for advancement if you want.
Courier Delivery Driver/Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 June 2018
A steady decent paying position, that once you have it, is maintainable without too much stress. A union job with great benefits and opportunity for advancement if that is your choice.
Physically demanding and can be stressful due to the constant time limitations, unforeseen setbacks (weather, traffic, etc)
Productivity and more fun at work
Courier Driver (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 March 2018
Purolator is a good who need a good experience to work as defensive driver. This company is good benefits and suitable to your family. More fun to work in the team and the area that you delivery specially the customer that we encounter.
Pros
More Overtime
Cons
More Benefits
fast paced
Line Haul Driver / Courier (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 February 2018
loved the fast way and the way it was organized. worked hard but rewarded well. loved the customer experience great team players. learned a lot about efficiency
Pros
efficient work environment
Cons
job security
Intense but rewarding
Courier Driver (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB7 December 2017
Working at purolator is an intense experience. The benefits are amazing. The work is hard and intense. Union benefits are also a plus, as well as every weekend off.
Pros
Weekends off, high pay and benifits
Cons
Hard long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Purolator. Our community is ready to answer.