Purolator

Purolator Employee Reviews for Courier

Courier76 reviews
Canada76 reviews

courierunionizedunionsorterlifttrailerheavylabour

Great place for advancement if you want a career

Was able to grow within the company. Good steady reliable employment. Once on the road you are your own boss. Supportive management team. Physical work and a faced paced environment.

Pros

growth

Cons

requires new technology

Job security and safety

Little tough for newbies..they give you difficult route which is not route in itself because it is leftover which others wont take and mainly apartments and a small van. Which is difficult while deliveries. More priority to favs

Insights into Purolator

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

great job lousy manager

Loved my job as a courier. Working AM or PM dock is hard and physically demanding job. Most managers were good and helpful. One manager at Stratford location is a bully. In 40 years of working, that manager was by far the worst manager I've ever had in my life.

Not bad

Good place to work if you have no other education, good pay and benefits, most days were easy but some not so much. Having to deal with customers was the worse part, 90% of them were nice but the other 10% were d***s.

It was alright

It was pretty good. Sometimes you didn't know where you were going for the first hour of your shift. The managers were pretty unorganized but the pay made up for it.

Hectic sometimes

Good after 4 year top wage of 32. Lot of physical labour. Heavy packages. If you like walking and lifting. It’s a job for you. Lay you off if you are low in seniority union list.

Pros

Overtime

Cons

Sometimes too busy

Love

This was my favorite place to work. I left on my own terms and on good terms. Best management I've had the pleasure of working with. Really great and fun atmosphere

Pros

Everything even the annoying stuff

Cons

Traffic

Really good company.

Overall a very good company. Great people to work with along with great pay. If it wasnt for the fact it was temp work I would still be there. For the most part cant say enough about them.

Pros

Enjoyable to work for. Great pay to start off with.

Cons

Didnt realize I was hired as a temp, so getting laid off on Xmas Eve was a horrible thing to do to anyone.

Good job if you get started early

If you pay your dues early you will be given an opportunity. The seasonal driver should know he will not be kept on. A lot of nice people to work with but the lead manager is low on intelligence.

Pros

Freedom

Cons

Long hours and hard on the body

Good Company

I was an owner operator courier in the BC interior.Pay was more than fair to run your own van and live pretty well. Pay was based on how many stops you did each day.You have a little bit of freedom with your hours. I chose to start early and be done early in the afternoon. Some guys liked to start later and work until five or six.The only problem is that in order to advance to a better delivery route you have to wait for someone above you to retire or quit. This can take a while but the increase in income can be a few hundred dollars. The job can be pretty stress free as long as you run your van and route like your own little business. Set money aside for maintenance and repairs. Pay yourself a decent wage. The holidays have more deliveries so this means a lot more work but also a lot more money. I would easily be able to give myself Christmas bonuses.

Pros

Pay. Freedom.

Cons

Slow advancement

Technology and communication

Improved drastically. Purolator has made some investments in the past that set the company back but has made up for it in the present and will continue into the future. Get passed the 3 month probation and you will have some decent job security and union power

Pros

You can work a maximum of 13.5 hours daily

Cons

Pandemic is like Christmas rush all year

Productive and Fun Workplace

One of the best place ever work with. Hoping it gets really busy to get back at it,The management is awesome and really friendly people, helping each other out is encouragement though some days are really challenging too but just like any places of work and there is room for growth once get regulated.

Pros

Great Place to work

Cons

Terms

Fast pace environment

Fast pace environment.Heavy lifting physically demanding repetitive work.Working outdoors in different climate.start early finish late.overtime pay after 8 hours.get paid every week.

Pros

Good pay.benefits, union environment

Cons

Long hours..working outdoors in different climate

Horrible place. Bad management

Do not waste your time. On line training is all you get. My first day they wanted me to go and do deliveries when I had never touched a scanner. They will give you NO on site training. I was sent out to do 100 box deliveries of heavy clothing with no dolly. Must carry one by one. Did many deliveries to businesses without one management does not care. They don't even look you in the face when they talk to you. Once your about to have your 60 days and ready to join union...they will let you go and hire new people weekly to replace.

Pros

No training. They will say because of covid-19 but they are just horrible place to work

Cons

Everything. They will let you go without reason to keep you out of union.

Wouldn’t recommend to t.

You’re gonna start by a week of online training which is just 2 instructors reading a PowerPoint to you. Then on your first day/week there going to assign you to random task that don’t have to do with the job you where hired for. The management and HR have no idea what’s going on. Had to ask multiple managers. You won’t get a break even if it by law in Manitoba after 5 hours you’re required a 30 minutes unpaid break. No uniforms will be provided and you need to order and wait over a week so prepare to ruin your own clothes. The trainer left home halfway through the first day at being at the warehouse and won’t explain to you the scanner training and they’ll just expect you know how to do it. Anyways you would think because it’s a big unionized company it would be organized safe neat etc... but it wasn’t at all. Absolute waist of time. And expect to be doing random jobs and routes for years before even getting close to seniority to apply for a set route.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

un professional management and HR, little to no training, dirty environment, no social distancing.

Terrible Upper Management

As a "relief" courier you are expected to work AM dock anytime they are short handed. You will drive as a courier during the day and be expected to be "on call" for AM dock later that night. In other words, work until 5 or 6 o'clock PM and then go back at 1 AM to work the dock until 8 AM. Takes 4 years until you get full pay.

Pros

Co-workers are great. Good pay & benefits

Cons

Terrible upper management.

Relief courier

So I got hired for a relief courier. Well all they want you to do is sorting. There was no talk from the manager about further training to do scanner training, pre check training or getting my driving certification with them. You get hired and have to do a week of online training. Which is paid. My first day, I got there and had a quick walk around the depot and put to sorting right away with no scanner training. You basically have to learn it as you go. It’s easy to learn. Just know that Hr and your manager are just hiring for roles they need. Which is basically just sorters.

Pros

Learn lots of new policies and procedures about Purolator, Once hired and in the spot you want they treat you with respect, Scheduled pay raises.

Cons

No communication about job roles, you get hired for one job and do something else completely. Only part time hours. 2am-8am

Stay away

Poor place to work they interview questioning for a entry level warehouse job is terrible it's like you are being interviewed for an Management or Professional job, questions are not related to job whatsoever, being a couirer there not a place to be, you are expected to hit dream numbers of stops that are impossible to hit like 18 stops in an hr, and if you are a master at it they increase the numbers, managers and supervisors drive around and spy at you, and work every move on the computer cuz trucks are GPS and add more work basically

Pros

Weekly pay

Nice place to work

I like to working there I would recommanding this place Great benefice and good paid

Pros

Great benefice

Cons

Little bit stressant

Terrible

It starts off well but then if something goes wrong that is completely out of your control management will throw the blame on the first person trying to help

Pros

Good money

Cons

Terrible management

I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy.

My experience at Purolator was. Fast paced. Heavy packages. Very unfriendly people working AM dock. Indoor heating wasn't working. Ice form on incoming trailers. Never received a key card to enter the plant. The only nice thing was the boot allowance.

Pros

If you have the experience they require you would do well.

Cons

Constsntly underpaid. Confronted payroll with wage amount 15% lower than what the contract offered.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Purolator. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement