Purolator logo
Purolator

Purolator Employee Reviews for Courier

Really good company.

Overall a very good company. Great people to work with along with great pay. If it wasnt for the fact it was temp work I would still be there. For the most part cant say enough about them.

Pros

Enjoyable to work for. Great pay to start off with.

Cons

Didnt realize I was hired as a temp, so getting laid off on Xmas Eve was a horrible thing to do to anyone.

Good job if you get started early

If you pay your dues early you will be given an opportunity. The seasonal driver should know he will not be kept on. A lot of nice people to work with but the lead manager is low on intelligence.

Pros

Freedom

Cons

Long hours and hard on the body

Good Company

I was an owner operator courier in the BC interior.Pay was more than fair to run your own van and live pretty well. Pay was based on how many stops you did each day.You have a little bit of freedom with your hours. I chose to start early and be done early in the afternoon. Some guys liked to start later and work until five or six.The only problem is that in order to advance to a better delivery route you have to wait for someone above you to retire or quit. This can take a while but the increase in income can be a few hundred dollars. The job can be pretty stress free as long as you run your van and route like your own little business. Set money aside for maintenance and repairs. Pay yourself a decent wage. The holidays have more deliveries so this means a lot more work but also a lot more money. I would easily be able to give myself Christmas bonuses.

Pros

Pay. Freedom.

Cons

Slow advancement

Technology and communication

Improved drastically. Purolator has made some investments in the past that set the company back but has made up for it in the present and will continue into the future. Get passed the 3 month probation and you will have some decent job security and union power

Pros

You can work a maximum of 13.5 hours daily

Cons

Pandemic is like Christmas rush all year

Productive and Fun Workplace

One of the best place ever work with. Hoping it gets really busy to get back at it,The management is awesome and really friendly people, helping each other out is encouragement though some days are really challenging too but just like any places of work and there is room for growth once get regulated.

Pros

Great Place to work

Cons

Terms

Fast pace environment

Fast pace environment.Heavy lifting physically demanding repetitive work.Working outdoors in different climate.start early finish late.overtime pay after 8 hours.get paid every week.

Pros

Good pay.benefits, union environment

Cons

Long hours..working outdoors in different climate

Horrible place. Bad management

Do not waste your time. On line training is all you get. My first day they wanted me to go and do deliveries when I had never touched a scanner. They will give you NO on site training. I was sent out to do 100 box deliveries of heavy clothing with no dolly. Must carry one by one. Did many deliveries to businesses without one management does not care. They don't even look you in the face when they talk to you. Once your about to have your 60 days and ready to join union...they will let you go and hire new people weekly to replace.

Pros

No training. They will say because of covid-19 but they are just horrible place to work

Cons

Everything. They will let you go without reason to keep you out of union.

Wouldn’t recommend to t.

You’re gonna start by a week of online training which is just 2 instructors reading a PowerPoint to you. Then on your first day/week there going to assign you to random task that don’t have to do with the job you where hired for. The management and HR have no idea what’s going on. Had to ask multiple managers. You won’t get a break even if it by law in Manitoba after 5 hours you’re required a 30 minutes unpaid break. No uniforms will be provided and you need to order and wait over a week so prepare to ruin your own clothes. The trainer left home halfway through the first day at being at the warehouse and won’t explain to you the scanner training and they’ll just expect you know how to do it. Anyways you would think because it’s a big unionized company it would be organized safe neat etc... but it wasn’t at all. Absolute waist of time. And expect to be doing random jobs and routes for years before even getting close to seniority to apply for a set route.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

un professional management and HR, little to no training, dirty environment, no social distancing.

Terrible Upper Management

As a "relief" courier you are expected to work AM dock anytime they are short handed. You will drive as a courier during the day and be expected to be "on call" for AM dock later that night. In other words, work until 5 or 6 o'clock PM and then go back at 1 AM to work the dock until 8 AM. Takes 4 years until you get full pay.

Pros

Co-workers are great. Good pay & benefits

Cons

Terrible upper management.

Relief courier

So I got hired for a relief courier. Well all they want you to do is sorting. There was no talk from the manager about further training to do scanner training, pre check training or getting my driving certification with them. You get hired and have to do a week of online training. Which is paid. My first day, I got there and had a quick walk around the depot and put to sorting right away with no scanner training. You basically have to learn it as you go. It’s easy to learn. Just know that Hr and your manager are just hiring for roles they need. Which is basically just sorters.

Pros

Learn lots of new policies and procedures about Purolator, Once hired and in the spot you want they treat you with respect, Scheduled pay raises.

Cons

No communication about job roles, you get hired for one job and do something else completely. Only part time hours. 2am-8am

Jobs at Purolator

Courier positions
See more jobs

Stay away

Poor place to work they interview questioning for a entry level warehouse job is terrible it's like you are being interviewed for an Management or Professional job, questions are not related to job whatsoever, being a couirer there not a place to be, you are expected to hit dream numbers of stops that are impossible to hit like 18 stops in an hr, and if you are a master at it they increase the numbers, managers and supervisors drive around and spy at you, and work every move on the computer cuz trucks are GPS and add more work basically

Pros

Weekly pay

Nice place to work

I like to working there I would recommanding this place Great benefice and good paid

Pros

Great benefice

Cons

Little bit stressant

Terrible

It starts off well but then if something goes wrong that is completely out of your control management will throw the blame on the first person trying to help

Pros

Good money

Cons

Terrible management

I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy.

My experience at Purolator was. Fast paced. Heavy packages. Very unfriendly people working AM dock. Indoor heating wasn't working. Ice form on incoming trailers. Never received a key card to enter the plant. The only nice thing was the boot allowance.

Pros

If you have the experience they require you would do well.

Cons

Constsntly underpaid. Confronted payroll with wage amount 15% lower than what the contract offered.

Not a good place to work

Very little regard for their employees , expectations were very high day in and day out , training was ok, but could have been better, I came in with previous experience but the others did not ! I was expected to be on call all the time, and got very little notice before a shift, and only guaranteed 30 hrs of work per the contract. The culture was not a very good one, most of the guys were very bitter, and wanted to help very little , aside from a few . Aside from one manager I felt very intimidated and not comfortable approaching them .

Good company but....

I enjoyed the work even if it was very hard sometimes. They hired before peak season end of 2019 and once they had no freight for all the drivers, they fire you.

Pros

Salary - Benefits

Cons

Management -

So mean and take advantage of employees

Trust me if you are reading this, you will get some good knowledge how Edmonton or may be other Purolator locations use you and through They just take advantage of employees in busy time like Christmas and New year, after that they just tell people go out. They hired 13 guys before Christmas( super busy time of year) saying permanent position in beginning of November 2019 and gave us full-time work for two months. After new year, they said we no longer required you because we don’t have freight for you to deliver and terminate us 9 of us with a letter of termination. It doesn’t happen with us only, they have been doing this last couple of years. They don’t even think about people who have already left good or bad jobs for working in Purolator thinking they are permanent which is just in written, because they know nobody will apply, if they have temporary or seasonal hiring.

They are pretty fair at Purolator. If you do get your foot in the door its a nice place to work. The challenges here are only to make sure you're punctual for work and knowing where your deliveries are located.

Challenging but its a good place to work!

Can be very stressful at times, but lots of help from experienced drivers! Good pay. Training provided. Give you the freedom to plan and execute daily deliveries according to your own pre-planned route!

Not a good place to work. Too much drama

All I can say with my experience working there it’s an unfair environment Extremely poor management Coworkers not working as a team Too much drama Poor senior management

Fired on day 57 of 60

Working for a larger center for Purolator was fine. Go to work, go home, repeat. Everyone just minded their own business for the most part. Transferring to a smaller depot was a big mistake though. Everyone thought they were a floor lead and everyone had instructions for the “new guy”. Too many cooks in the kitchen. And the manager just sits back and lets it happen. Extremely confusing being told you are doing one thing and then to be told another thing by someone else. One example is being told to grab a spare truck and load up. You get backed in and partially loaded before another “cook” comes over and tells you “oh you are loading the wrong stuff, you are supposed to load that stuff over there”. That Cook helps you unload, and then you head over to the other end of the depot to load up. Then the manager comes over and tells you something different again. Now everyone is long gone and you, the new guy, get trouble for being the last guy in the depot. But no one cares that you were sent to load three different piles of stuff, for three completely different areas of the city. Basically manager and floor leads have their heads up their butt. This company will burn your body out and kick you to the curb if you get hurt. On my day 56 I injured myself ever so slightly. On an awkward shaped package. I told a floor lead who said “if you got hurt you did it wrong and you shouldn’t be working here”. Then on Day 57 I used my break to see my doctor. Thank god I took photos of myself with the truck in the parking lot at my doctors office, and a selfie in the office -

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Purolator. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement