Purolator

Purolator Employee Reviews for Courier

Terrible
Courier (Former Employee) –  Anjou, QC22 February 2020
It starts off well but then if something goes wrong that is completely out of your control management will throw the blame on the first person trying to help
Pros
Good money
Cons
Terrible management
I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy.
Relief courier/ am sorter (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON30 January 2020
My experience at Purolator was. Fast paced. Heavy packages. Very unfriendly people working AM dock.
Indoor heating wasn't working. Ice form on incoming trailers.

Never received a key card to enter the plant.

The only nice thing was the boot allowance.
Pros
If you have the experience they require you would do well.
Cons
Constsntly underpaid. Confronted payroll with wage amount 15% lower than what the contract offered.
Not a good place to work
Courier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL24 January 2020
Very little regard for their employees , expectations were very high day in and day out , training was ok, but could have been better, I came in with previous experience but the others did not ! I was expected to be on call all the time, and got very little notice before a shift, and only guaranteed 30 hrs of work per the contract.
The culture was not a very good one, most of the guys were very bitter, and wanted to help very little , aside from a few . Aside from one manager I felt very intimidated and not comfortable approaching them .
So mean and take advantage of employees
Utility courier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton South Depot9 January 2020
Trust me if you are reading this, you will get some good knowledge how Edmonton or may be other Purolator locations use you and through

They just take advantage of employees in busy time like Christmas and New year, after that they just tell people go out.
They hired 13 guys before Christmas( super busy time of year) saying permanent position in beginning of November 2019 and gave us full-time work for two months. After new year, they said we no longer required you because we don’t have freight for you to deliver and terminate us 9 of us with a letter of termination.
It doesn’t happen with us only, they have been doing this last couple of years. They don’t even think about people who have already left good or bad jobs for working in Purolator thinking they are permanent which is just in written, because they know nobody will apply, if they have temporary or seasonal hiring.
Utility Courier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2020
They are pretty fair at Purolator. If you do get your foot in the door its a nice place to work. The challenges here are only to make sure you're punctual for work and knowing where your deliveries are located.
Challenging but its a good place to work!
Courier (Current Employee) –  Stratford, ON23 December 2019
Can be very stressful at times, but lots of help from experienced drivers! Good pay. Training provided. Give you the freedom to plan and execute daily deliveries according to your own pre-planned route!
Not a good place to work. Too much drama
Courier Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 December 2019
All I can say with my experience working there it’s an unfair environment
Extremely poor management
Coworkers not working as a team
Too much drama
Poor senior management
Fired on day 57 of 60
Courier, Purolator Courier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 November 2019
Working for a larger center for Purolator was fine. Go to work, go home, repeat. Everyone just minded their own business for the most part. Transferring to a smaller depot was a big mistake though. Everyone thought they were a floor lead and everyone had instructions for the “new guy”. Too many cooks in the kitchen. And the manager just sits back and lets it happen. Extremely confusing being told you are doing one thing and then to be told another thing by someone else. One example is being told to grab a spare truck and load up. You get backed in and partially loaded before another “cook” comes over and tells you “oh you are loading the wrong stuff, you are supposed to load that stuff over there”. That Cook helps you unload, and then you head over to the other end of the depot to load up. Then the manager comes over and tells you something different again. Now everyone is long gone and you, the new guy, get trouble for being the last guy in the depot. But no one cares that you were sent to load three different piles of stuff, for three completely different areas of the city.

Basically manager and floor leads have their heads up their butt. This company will burn your body out and kick you to the curb if you get hurt. On my day 56 I injured myself ever so slightly. On an awkward shaped package. I told a floor lead who said “if you got hurt you did it wrong and you shouldn’t be working here”. Then on Day 57 I used my break to see my doctor. Thank god I took photos of myself with the truck in the parking lot at my doctors office, and a selfie in the office
  more... waiting area with my uniform. Purolator denied any knowledge of the incident, or the fact that they knew I was going to a Dr on my break. Pictures say it all. And at the end of the day I was told it wasn’t a good fit.

Purolator is a Mickey Mouse operation. 7-11 is probably a better employer.
Na
Courier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2019
I worked for purolator for 37 years retired in 2017 it was a great place to work with good salary and benefits you had a job to do as a courier you do your job to the best of your ability and you have no problems safety at purolator was a big concern and for me no safer place to work good pension too management was always working with you to make your job as easy as possible
Good salary benefits and atmosphere.
Professional courier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 October 2019
Steady, busy shifts. Learned to organize parcels at a fast pace. great customers. Good bit of learning required, but a respectable job none the less. Pay was above average.Unfortunately only hired for the Christmas rush and after contract expired did not get hired on full time.
Great place to work!
Purolator Courier (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC23 September 2019
You will have the best time of your life working at Purolator! Everyone are so approachable and friendly. Managers are the BEST! They SURE know how to manage and treat people RIGHT! You will NEVER have to worry about disgruntled employees coming to work with a shotgun or flame thrower aiming at management but miss, hitting a fellow union brothers or sisters because Purolator is the safest place on earth compared to other courier companies. They strive by making sure everyone are treated with the most RESPECT and SINCERITY. Don't listen to the gossip and rumors that there are a high turn over because it is NOT TRUE. All employee wants to stay FOREVER but due to high volume, they require more additional new hire to help unload the burden from the amount of current workers they have on hand. This show how much management cares for their employees and not so much about TARGET and PROFIT. When Purolator do make profit or not, everyone bonus is AMAZING! To be fair, all employees get the same amount so there won't be any jealousy or envy to one another. Talk about feeling the LOVE! Come be part of a family, and you will NEVER, NEVER, REGET!
Very stressful
Purolator Courier (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 September 2019
Purolator will hire you for one job and then try to push you into another job without your consent and then basically give you a good hard kick in the butt out the door when you try to fight this with them .
Great place to work, friendly environment
PM sorter/Courier (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK25 August 2019
great place to work, friendly environment, flexible hours. There is always room to improve yourself as well as improve within the company and the industry.
Long days and heavy lifting
Courier (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON21 August 2019
Purolator has good pay and benefits but it is a lot of work and heavy lifting. At first it is very stressful because you drive around lost most of the time unless they put you on a permanent run which that won't happen right away in most cases.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Always feeling like your behind
Aweful Environment
Am/Pm Sorter and Courier (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON7 August 2019
This location has no job security at all if the manager doesn't like you, he'll fire you. Most of the people working here have been for 10+ years and the company favours those associates over all else. The manager doesn't care about whether or not his employees are properly rested he only cares about his quota being met. I do not suggest this place of employment in North Bay. If you can get a job elsewhere itll be more worth it in the long run. Also there is no chance for growth within the company until you have being with them for over 2 years.
Full of lies
Purolator Courier (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON24 July 2019
got hired as an amazon courier, management lies and makes plenty of changes, Changed shift times 3 times in 2 months. No job security, everyone warned us saying how they lay people off before 3 month probation. Got demoted and a pay cut to work as a sorter over night shift. Others god laid off one week before proabtion was up. Worst management!!!!!
Decent wage. That's it
Courier (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC14 July 2019
Your fellow couriers are supportive, and fantastic to work with when you get the chance to. You get to build long term relationships with your customers, and you get to be on the road, fresh air, outdoors!

Those are the best parts of the job.

Unfortunately, the management team has consistently prioritized profits over employee health and wellness, work life balance, and most importantly, service to our customers.

Drivers are consistently pushed to work overtime, higher productivity numbers, and most recently, forced hour band changes.

The corporate team continually insists on hiring individuals with zero courier or route management experience, resulting in poor customer service (failed delivery/pickup services). As well as refusing to take constructive feedback from the drivers to approve upon these issues. This has resulted in a high turnover rate, and a revolving door of managers who are unable to build positive relationships with their employees.

Drivers in turn are essentially forced to become "yes" men, compromising safety, and having zero work life balance, to avoid getting thrown under the bus my management, to keep this company from going under, to keep their careers.

The industry is quickly becoming very volatile with a heavy dependency on Amazon. This is negatively impacting all of our other customers.

This is not a personal experience, this is the opinion of the majority. Morale is LOW.

Don't get me wrong! The wage is good.

Is it worth the money? That depends on you.

Sometimes you just have to pay the bills.
Pros
Good relationships with drivers, customers, get to work outside
Cons
Long hours, pressured into overtime, management with no experience.
Great job, great people
Sorter/Courier (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON11 July 2019
Worked in Sarnia, excellent management, great co-workers, 10/10 would recommend to anyone. Hours slow down in January to April but you'll be almost overworked if you want the hours September to Christmas.

Fun place to work
Pros
Very rewarding at the end of a shift, good pay/steady raises
Cons
Stressful in the morning
Good place to work, minimal advancement, good pay/work schedule
Purolator Courier (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON18 June 2019
Great place to work, everyday meeting new people and going different places. You literally see it all and meet them all. Once you get to top rate (4 years) you will be making about $31/hr with weekends off and day off during the week. At the Scarborough depot we work 4 x 10s, plenty of overtime is available in the fall/winter months.

Sometimes the work is stressful, little help from management other then them telling you to get the job done. Average of 85-100 delivery stops and 25 pick ups per route.

Pretty decent benefits and pension plan, plus other company perks.

Overall, a good place to work.
Pros
Overtime, pay, days off
Cons
Sometimes long hours, management, too many deliveries, faulty equipment
its a very high demanding about productivity
Utility Courier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC1 May 2019
its fun to work with the employees with work also but very high in demand of productivity even though you're freshly new to the industry.hardest part of this job is you need to memorized the streets and also the unit/house numbers . but overall at the end of the day just need to practice and training .its fun to work there even though stress is high but once you get use to it .its gets better

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Purolator. Our community is ready to answer.