Purdys Chocolatier Employee Reviews

Excellent Workplace!
Packaging (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 May 2018
I really enjoyed working at Purdy’s Chocolates for 8 weeks as my work experience! The staffs at Purdy’s Chocolates was very friendly and kind! I really appreciate to all the staffs that supported me and taught me a lot of new things! I’ve gained some new skills from working at Purdy’s Chocolates!
Had an excellent manager until new district manager took over
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 April 2018
The hours are easy, I had great management, but things get quite dull in the off seasons. New district manager ruined everything, broke up our team, and fired me and my manager. Chocolate is great! Wish they'd let us doodle or do something other than stare at walls during the hours between customers.
Enjoyable place of work!
Chocolate Connoisseur (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 April 2018
A average day consists of keeping the store looking full and vibrant, appealing to customers. Around seasonal periods such as Christmas, Easter and Valentines are the busier more hectic times but if you have a good team in your store like the ones I've dealt with you'll be okay! My training experience when I started was great, very one on one making sure you know what you're doing kind of thing. You do things such as role playing and quizzing with flash cards over time to make sure you don't forget things. The management I've had are awesome, very understanding and compassionate. They're good as far as I'm concerned with agreeing time offs for part time employees; the only thing is most the time you don't know your schedule until less than a week before the start day (that could just be my store manager I'm not 100% sure)
Pros
free chocolate tastes, great coworkers, flexible with schedule
Cons
not enough hours, hard to advance, secret shoppers
chocolate customer presentation is a skill for expension in this business
Casual Employee (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK1 April 2018
just completed casual working time> it is easy to sell chocolate in my view with such sustainable values. I value this aspect very much and created enthusiasm to apply for position. I learned to work in an environment of youth and dynamic culture. I somewhat feel a lack of human skills by management in place to create respectful working environment. I got the position i believe because I have sales skills as a past chocolate connoisseur w well known company. Customer service is Key to create an experience that cannot be forgotten by the customer. I am proud to have had this opportunity . Motivational words is always a plus for any employee to work better and for the company in my view. I had perceived a better impression at the interview for the position. I am grateful I had skilled team lead colleague to give me proper directions and support.
Pros
created wonderful contact in an environment of great possibilities
Cons
breaks not clear, no words of encouragement given, or any perks on what to improve o disappointed w improper training given, poor motivational follow up w employee
Fun and fast paced
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 March 2018
Working at Purdy's helped me to build a variety of skills; leadership, customer service, organizational, communication, interpersonal effectiveness, strong work values, and teamwork. The environment is fast paced, every day has specific deadlines for ordering, cleaning procedures, monetary targets, and other tasks that must be completed. This job will allow you to work closely with many members of the company extending from your own team; other store managers, district managers, the merchandising and accounting teams, etc. The turn over rate was high at the location I worked for. This made taking a day off nearly impossible. Managers do not have a good understanding of the labor laws, however they will abide by them if it is brought to their attention. District managers are easy to talk to and understanding. Overall a very fun place to work!
Pros
Discount on products.
Cons
Very difficult to take a sick day. High turnover rate for sales associates.
Great environment and Great People
Chocolate connoisseur (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC19 March 2018
If you are comfortable with customer communication and structured schedule, Purdys is a place to work!. nothing but good review for Purdys! Flexible time, welcoming environment, and good people!
Pros
Free Chocolate taste
Cons
free chocolate taste
Very solid company with impressive standards.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC28 February 2018
Very good company that takes pride in quality and core values. Very business oriented and care a lot about their customers. Extremely great customer service and various channels to offer service.
Pros
Discounts, benefit packages.
Cons
Sometimes care more about money than how staff feel
Best Retail Job I’ve Ever Had
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  British Columbia4 February 2018
The company has a fantastic culture that makes you feel valued and appreciated for your work. I quickly felt very comfortable in my role and feel incredibly supported by my district leadership. It has been a wonderful place to work and I’m looking forward to a very long career with Purdys!
Pros
Wonderful customers, lots of support, amazing products
Cons
We need a bigger back room!
Great Company
General Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 January 2018
The job is unionized, so it's pretty hard to get in. If you do manage to get a full time job then you'll be pretty set for life. The people are all very nice and friendly and are always willing to help you. The job is very repetitive and tiring but it's great for someone with little to no post secondary experience or prospects to do anything else. Management knows every single one of the employees by name and treats them with great respect.
Pros
Ice Cream Day
Cons
Repetitive
Productive workspace where everyone communicates
Ecommerce Order Processor - Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 January 2018
Work as a small team that we communicate among each other on updates on certain callers and taking orders, tracking orders and Customer service helpline and Emails.
Pros
paid weekends and includes lunch hrs and 30% employee discounts.
Cons
Internal site for orders can be hard and its a new system.
Good opportunity for the right fit
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 January 2018
Small to medium sized chocolate manufacturing and distribution operations Canada wide and looking to expand. There is a good opportunity for experienced managers to develop their skills to higher levels as the company is growing consistently.
Pros
Chocolate
Cons
Unionized production
managment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON22 December 2017
its a great place to work, but the management and organization is horrible
completely not organized, not enough hours, management is the worst at this location.
Pros
30% discountq
Cons
not enough hours.
lots of free chocolate
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  BC19 December 2017
Lots of cleaning of equipment and chocolate case, the work is very repetitive it all depends on the day of the week. When at work be all about chocolate and the customer experience. They do have a lot of leadership courses that they get you to take at HO (and a variety of others) Scheduling is fair but tough when first learning as the schedules are pretty set in stone and its harder to learn certain things when you are not scheduled to do it. You learn moving quickly and being very organized is your best friend
Pros
got 1 week holidays every 3 months, benefits where good
Cons
not the greatest training when you where in store, Christmas is like nothing you have ever experienced
Can be a fun work environment
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 November 2017
Quality products that can be easy to sell make for an enjoyable work environment. A typical day at work consists of opening, closing, selling, stocking shelves etc. Learning new products is fun since you get to enjoy the chocolates themselves.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Little room for advancement
Great place with a lot of people.
General Help (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC30 October 2017
I enjoyed this job. I got to meet a lot of people and work at many different stations of this job. Even though I was new, they gave me many opportunitys to work at different parts of the factory.
Pros
Free chocolate.
Cons
Standing for a long period of time.
Be the right fit
ASSISTANT MANAGER/ CHOCOLATE CONNOISSEUR (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC26 September 2017
Great work environment, fun atmosphere, and very close team. Great job perks (free chocolate), excellent training program, great opportunity for job advancement. Poor holiday hours and "luck of the draw" for management.
Pros
Health Benefits/ Good pay
Cons
poor middle management
Target bases, own cubicle
Call Centre Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chester st Vanvouver22 August 2017
Fun place to work with friendly people
Can pick shift times (allows for flexibility)
A daily dose of chocolate throughout the day
You will call in love with chocolate
Really good management, good atmosphere, slightly repetitive routines
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 July 2017
The management is extremely kind and lighthearted, yet appropriately strict when needed.
The atmosphere is great, fun, and feels like a second home. But sometimes the routines and jobs feel extremely repetitive and boring
Productive and fun workplace
Part Time Employee (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 June 2017
Purdys is a great company to work with and most locations have really great employees working there - I know I have amazing coworkers at my location! If it wasn't for them I wouldn't be able to put up with the manager. They are the reason I want to work there!
Average Retail Pay, Bad hours, and Very Informative Job.
Chocolate Connoisseur (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC14 June 2017
A typical day at work is selling and talking chocolate to customers, making sure the store looks poppin' and sometimes product making/prep. I learned a huge amount about chocolate and retail. The management was usual in a bad mood so that was annoying but I think its because head office had some tough demands without giving the proper tools. My fellow coworkers and the managers personally were great and work was usually fun. The hardest part was customers with rediculous expectations. The best part of the job was working with such a small group of coworkers that you really get to know each other and I think that helps a great amount in problem solving and working.
Pros
free chocolate, fun atmosphere
Cons
management a bit unreasonable sometimes, not enough hours to live on

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Purdys Chocolatier. Our community is ready to answer.