Public Services and Procurement Canada

Working at Public Services and Procurement Canada: Employee Reviews

Canada52 reviews

governmentlearnteamopportunitylotplacepaymanagement

Great culture, pay and benefits

One of the best departments to work for in the Government of Canada. Lots of opportunity for remote work, a good culture and good pay/benifits. Would recommend for sure.

...les processus doivent être normalises

...au niveau des processus et des directives, je crois qu'il faut être plus ouverts et flexible en tant de politiques ferai et être avangardiste devant tout et surtout dans les normes déménagement et accommodation .

Pros

Excellence

Cons

Classification

Insights into Public Services and Procurement Canada

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Supportive environment

Empathetic, inclusive, warm caring colleagues and management.

With a strong emphasis on diversity, inclusion, mentorship and an openness to innovation, PSPC is unlike any other government department.Since my first day, management has ensured my workload is not overwhelming while taking time to mentor and offer job shadowing opportunities. They want you to learn how to perform at your absolute best through on the job training, internal learning opportunities, and challenging work assignments.They challenge you with one-off ad hoc projects alongside your daily responsibilities which gives you valuable work experience and opportunities to develop as a strong professional. While process and policy guides most of your work, you also have the opportunity to innovate and be creative in developing improvements to tools, processes and operational efficiency.

Challenging but rewarding

They are very busy during fiscal year end, however colleagues and management were all friendly and supportive. Overall a great place to work either for the long run, or as a bridge to other opportunities

Very chill and collaborative work environment

There was alot of training and help provided to students. There was also flexibility for students to work remotely or in office, as they prefer. Everyone was very friendly

Relaxed environment but good pay

Slow paced and relaxed environment. Pay was good but lots of slow periods of work due to red tape and paperwork lead to unsatisfying days. Good teams to work with.

Good Bennifits and Pay

Was overall a good place to work although management knew that the job was going to be privatized so they kept me as indeterminate for almost 3 years so they did not have to give me another job offer or a severance package

Great place for students to work but can be stressful

Lots of support from management and if you want to learn new skills they're happy to connect you with different departments. But some departments are overworked and others get by with doing the bare minimum

The work environment is pretty good.

If you have worked in an office before then you will find the work environment pretty typical. Before COVID it was an open office with everyone assigned a desk and work station. That was back in 2016, it may have changed significantly since then. Your co-workers are friendly and as long as you maintain a friendly professional attitude are more than willing to assist you if needed.

Pros

Easy access to building Good pay, good benefits

Cons

Its government

Great foot in the door with the Federal Government

Fun place to learn about pay and benefits, very supportive colleagues and management team. There is always someone around to help you out if you get stuck and they are always trying to help you succeed.One thing of note, if you are not bilingual or willing to train to be, it might be hard to get some advancement and most promotions are CCC/BBB

I received this job through a job bank so be aware my process is different

I was working warehouse as a contractor. I was lucky to have a amazing supervisor who taught us what to do and put the rest in our hands. From day one the work was rather relaxed, as long as you work hard at what you do. I know that sounds contradictory, but the atmosphere allowed for you to take your time at what you were doing, unless a deadline to move things from storage was tight. Overall I learned a lot about warehousing, especially when it came to Tetris skills. There was a lot of instances where I was working not only in the warehouse but setting things up on floors, staying late to do projects and doing computer work as well.The nicest part of the job was the freedom of working in the warehouse and the potential to work on various projects in the company. For my position one of the best parts was the hour long lunch.One of the hardest parts of the job was.... the security. To be honestly fair, the WHIMS could really be updated as the warehouses were very old, dangerously setup and the merchandise you are moving is packed with dust, mold and sometimes worse. I can understand as there are many times where things will not be moved for years at a time, but you have to have your own sense of self security working in warehousing. This is fundamental in this job. Management is great depending on who you are working under. The only issues I can really say about being a contractor for PSPC is the fact that you are getting paid not even half of what regular employees are and doing two times the amount of physical work. I feel like this is relevant for all contract work, -

Pros

long breaks, relaxed atmosphere for the most part, good teamwork

Cons

really bad workplace security, long delays with shipping/receiving sometimes, poor communication between non-team members

Salary

The problem is the staffing agency took a big portion of the payment, in other word, The consultant got paid in average about 60% or less from the original amount of the bid rate.

Fun work environment

I really enjoyed working with PSPC. I would love to go back and work for the government and join a career with PSPC.Friendly environment, hard working people and very understanding management.

Pros

Close to home

Cons

Waiting too long in cafeteria.

Amazing

PSPC is honestly a great place to work. They put their employees physical and mental health first. Great place for students to earn experience. Everyone is greeted fairly.

Pros

Great company culture, many benefits, professional management

Toxic work place

Repetitive work. Unsupportive management team. Very little room for advancement or opportunities to learn new skills. Work place culture reminds me high school clicks.

Enjoyable workplace with coworkers and management that helps you succeed

Great place to work as a young person. I learned a lot during my time with PSPC and would love to work there again in the future. If offered a position with PSPC, I would accept with enthusiasm.

Valuable work experience and a great place to learn as everyone is there to help

Working here has been a better opportunity than I could have hoped for. Management continually checks to make sure you enjoy the line of work and constantly try to give you something of interest and benefit to you. They are there to build a long term relationship and help you build your career.

Collaborative group - filled with innovative ideas and great communication

I truly enjoyed working with PSPC. I felt welcomed and a part of their team, despite being a student at the time. They are a great team to work with and I'm happy I had the opportunity to work with them.

Typical government department.

This is a typical government department, where the work is sometimes slow and decisions at the management level are slow to take. This results in some delays and re-planning of activities. It seems like money is not a concern in the department and projects routinely get extended.

Invaluable Experience with Fast-Paced Projects

You work with a very knowledgeable team that is ready to make use of the skills that you bring to the table. As long as you listen and learn fast, you can have the opportunity to take on a very wide range of tasks and experiences.

Great workplace

My days are busy. Lots of projects are going on. I work on a team where everyone is friendly, supportive, and friendly. We collaborate with other teams, and communicate with our clients on a daily basis.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Public Services and Procurement Canada. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement