Public Outreach Employee Reviews for Fundraiser

Very Hard but rewarding
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2018
This was one of the most challenging jobs I have ever heard getting rejected huundreds of times everyday if very mentally draining but, when you actually do get a monthly donor there is not a feeling more rewarding. sponsoring a kid that you will never meet but you know you helped is a very powerful thing and despite countless rejection those yeses you do receive makes it all worhtwhile.
Pros
relaxed culture
Cons
some days very difficult
Most of the coaches are bad
Fundraiser (Former Employee) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2018
I was working there for 3 weeks and failed to meet $10 of my goal even though I raised $70 of my training. I was let go without any valid explanation, even though they told me getting a $50 amount on my first day was great and continued to show exponential performance.

Some coaches were fun, but others prepped people to fail, from bad advice to unsupporting tactics. Management needs to get their act together and tame
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Poor communication, poor management, and horrible coaches
Great pay
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 March 2018
Salary is the best in Halifax for a student and you are easily hired. If you like walking around in the cold talking to people who don't want to talk to you, then this is the job for you!
a lot of walking
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 March 2018
its a good place if you are a public speaker, i do not recomend it if you are shy you might not be able to convince people to donate. you may be place either walking door to door, or go to the mall or even talk to the person over phone. i got door to door it was fun and chill but hard to get people to donate.
Excellent team work
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 January 2018
Working as a Fundraiser at Public Outreach was the best experience I've ever had so far. The team is amazing. Great people to work with. They are always positive and support you to the max to ensure your success at the work you do. If you are looking for a place to gain work experience, help others and be surrounded by great/ joyful group of people, Public Outreach is the best place to go to.
I give it 5/5 Stars.
Great Place to Work if you Have Any Side passions
Amnesty International Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2017
I'm a freelance photographer and working at public Outreach as a fundraisers gives me a flexible schedule.

I can work on the days I am not doing any photo shots for my clients. Works really great because my photographer schedule can be so unpredictable and they are really accommodating about it.

People are cool, we get to travel to different cities to fundraise and we have team events all time.
Pros
Help support charities, free incentives, above minimum wage and flexible shifts
Cons
Rain or Shine you work
fun, caring, amazing place to work
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2017
The perfect job if you want to learn about world issues and get a chance to talk to real people about how they can make a difference. The people you meet will be your friends for life. It is such a fun and rewarding place to work. You will not regret it!
Fulfilling job with great culture!
Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 September 2017
I can honestly say that this is a job where I come to work everyday and I don't feel like I am wasting my time.

Fundraising door to door for charity may not be glamorous but the other staff and management make it fun and worthwhile! The people who work here come from different backgrounds and are welcoming and open to everyone.

You get to talk to interesting people everyday, while raising money for worthwhile causes. So, it doesn't get boring.

Also, it's easy to move up in the company if you work hard. It makes you feel like you are valuable, and not just a number to management.

I would recommend this job to anyone, you learn A LOT and you are always contributing to good causes.
Positive, Young Will teach you sale skills.
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 August 2017
Has a lot of great qualities. Daily meetings and pump ups to keep things positive. Meaningful work. Great from breaking out of retail and will teach you skills that can last a life time.

Some of their long term supervisors are filled with drama. One in particular is extremely negative and always gossiping, or even manipulating others to do worse. They have been brought to management attention many times but it's never dealt with.

No job security. If you drop your quota you're out.

They need to catch up in their hourly wage. Out of all hourly wage fundraising group they are the lowest.
Pros
Fun, purpose, good for breaking out of retail.
Cons
Some bad supervisors, stressful
Fun and Exciting
Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 August 2017
I didn't really know what to expect when I walked through the doors but I am glad I did. The environment here is so friendly and diverse. I have met so many people that I can truly call my friends.

Also the pay is awesome! After my two week training I got bumped upto to $14 an hour and after that I got to $16. I have only been at the company for 2 months and I have gone on travel trips and workshops.
Pros
Good Pay
Somewhat poor
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 August 2017
Almost no training and no paid training, the hours are very unstructured and the pay is minimal for the tediousness of the job. Management seems unstructured.
awesome
charitable fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 July 2017
working here helped me realise how much i valued helping others, it tested my limits, made me keep my eyes on the target, being the cause irrespective of the weather conditions
Pros
satisfaction helping others
Cons
working all weather even when its cold, street teams had to be outside
Fun and supportive workplace
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 July 2017
HR department was great, work environment was very supportive and it's easy to get along with your coworkers. Learned a lot of important and useful skills. Hardest part was commuting as the location changed every day for fundraising but it was extremely rewarding.
Pros
Rewarding, wages were great
Cons
Unpredictable commutes
good for driven people
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 July 2017
Good job for young people looking to break out of their shell. Good experience coming out of school, or a summer job. fast paced, with a required amount of acquisitions- may be hard to obtain.
Great culture, great people, great causes; little job security.
Professional Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 June 2017
This is a great place for young people to work. Typically employees are like-minded (stewards of social and environmental justice) and the very laid-back culture generally facilitates employees becoming good friends. Though everyone treats everyone else with dignity and respect, you can speak with your managers as if they are your peers. If you can get past the nerves/awkwardness/constant rejection of approaching strangers all day and asking them to donate to charity, it's actually a very laid-back job that is enjoyable to go to every day.
Canvassing for donations door-to-door can be a very difficult task, and as such, there is a lot of employee turnover. In the short time I worked there, I worked alongside a group of probably 20 different people who came and went. The only people who were there when I started and still around when I left were the manager and two leaders. There are strict fundraising targets, that if not met for just three weeks will result in being fired.
As should be expected with fundraising for charities, the pay is not great.
Pros
Great culture and people, satisfaction of making a positive change
Cons
Little job security, low pay
Life changing
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 June 2017
Public Outreach was one of the most beneficial job experiences of my life. The training there is thorough and there is an emphasis on acceptance and joy in the workplace.
Pros
work pay and benefits far exceeding other entry level jobs
Cons
can get emotionally draining because of the job's unique qualities
Vibrant and inclusive workplace
Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 June 2017
A really fun place to be at. The people at public outreach are one of the coolest and most open minded people in the city. The staff support system is really effective the feedback from seniors is really effective and efficient. The goals are realistic and achievable so not much pressure.
Fun people to work with but no job security
Community Fundraiser (street team) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 May 2017
This job is a community fundraising job which requires you to stand on the street, go door to door, or call around and ask people for donations. There is a minimum amount of donations you must achieve weekly and if you fail to do so, you will lose your job. If you are great with people and don't mind being on your feet all day, then you would enjoy working where I did. I worked on the "street team" where I stopped those walking by on the street and asked them to donate to several agencies or organizations. What they do there is really great and they help a lot of people, the environment is very easy going and everyone there is friendly, no matter what position they are in, all the way up to the CEO of the company. However, like I said, you can essentially lose your job every week. But if that doesn't bother you, or you are a student who just needs to get by in the summer, it is actually perfect for you! Fun times were had while standing on street corners, asking people for donations and doing our "raps." You need to research the organizations you are striving to get donations for and you must be able to answer questions quickly, on the spot, about each organization. Then you need to put a spiel together to give the person information about the organization, what they would be donating to, and ask them to donate. It is not commission work though, you do get paid by the hour and it is usually a bit more than minimum wage so it is perfect for a student or for younger people.
Pros
Fun environment, ability to advance
Cons
working in bad weather outside, no job security
Did not enjoy my time there
Fundraising Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 May 2017
There was no support offered for people who were just starting in the face-to-face fundraising job. Training consisted of a 15 minute presentation with many questions left unanswered. Management was not good towards me. I missed a couple weeks of shifts when my father died and was terminated for not meeting the quota. The manager in question said they would set me up with another team to give a shot with different people, but never submitted the referral.
Nice coworkers, not your typical job
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 April 2017
You interact with people as they go about their day's talking about worthy causes and encouraging them to donate. You get to talk to a variety of people but you may not always have good days.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Public Outreach. Our community is ready to answer.