Public Outreach Employee Reviews

Very Hard but rewarding
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2018
This was one of the most challenging jobs I have ever heard getting rejected huundreds of times everyday if very mentally draining but, when you actually do get a monthly donor there is not a feeling more rewarding. sponsoring a kid that you will never meet but you know you helped is a very powerful thing and despite countless rejection those yeses you do receive makes it all worhtwhile.
Pros
relaxed culture
Cons
some days very difficult
Most of the coaches are bad
Fundraiser (Former Employee) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2018
I was working there for 3 weeks and failed to meet $10 of my goal even though I raised $70 of my training. I was let go without any valid explanation, even though they told me getting a $50 amount on my first day was great and continued to show exponential performance.

Some coaches were fun, but others prepped people to fail, from bad advice to unsupporting tactics. Management needs to get their act together and tame
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Poor communication, poor management, and horrible coaches
Agréable, travail en équipe stimulant
Actuelle employée de Public Outreach (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 April 2018
Travail stimulant, être collecteur de fond apprend à approcher des personnes et à défendre des causes importantes
Pros
Belle ambiance de travail
Not recommended.
Street Team Member (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 March 2018
I was very unimpressed with the way the company and the employees handled things. I worked for a week and was let go after being told the same day that I was doing extremely well and would definitely continue to improve quickly. I was not given a valid explanation for the change in my employment status and it was a surprise after getting praise while working. For people who work to raise funds for such a great cause to be so inconsiderate and wishy-washy made me rethink how I see this organization and I hope this review makes people think before applying to an employer like this as I would not recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
high hourly wage.
Cons
poor/no support from coworkers, poor communication, very pushy sales tactics.
Great pay
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 March 2018
Salary is the best in Halifax for a student and you are easily hired. If you like walking around in the cold talking to people who don't want to talk to you, then this is the job for you!
a lot of walking
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 March 2018
its a good place if you are a public speaker, i do not recomend it if you are shy you might not be able to convince people to donate. you may be place either walking door to door, or go to the mall or even talk to the person over phone. i got door to door it was fun and chill but hard to get people to donate.
Fun workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 February 2018
It is a great place to work in with friendly co-workers
Educated the purpose and benefits of UNICEF fund-raising program to 100+ donors
Developed fundraising strategy according to the different demographics on every door
All in all, I learned essential people skills.
Amazing People
Fundraising Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2018
The team is beyond excellent. Team leaders and managers always support and help when needed. Flexible schedule which works best for students who can only work part-time
Pros
team work, flexible schedule
Cons
travelling around GTA often
Fun and exciting place to work
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2018
A great way to hone your social skills and empathy. Had a great time while working there because of the charities associated with Public Outreach, the employees and fun atmosphere.
Pros
travelling, friendly atmosphere, rewarding experience
Cons
long hours, adapting to different environments
Great Company Just Poor Training
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 January 2018
I don't feel like they train the new staff enough

This is a very demanding job with high sales targets

If I got more training I would have been able to do a better job

I worked two shifts before they let me go and I didn't have enough one on one with other staff members who were more experienced.
Pros
Fun enviroment
Cons
Long hours on your feet

Want to know more about Public Outreach?

Ask a question
Excellent team work
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 January 2018
Working as a Fundraiser at Public Outreach was the best experience I've ever had so far. The team is amazing. Great people to work with. They are always positive and support you to the max to ensure your success at the work you do. If you are looking for a place to gain work experience, help others and be surrounded by great/ joyful group of people, Public Outreach is the best place to go to.
I give it 5/5 Stars.
Raising Necessary Awareness
Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 January 2018
The mission Public Outreach has forth for is noble and notable. The awareness being raised on the issues definitely vital to what is currently going on around the world.
Very positive work environment, lots of growth available
Fundraising Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 December 2017
This is a workplace where innovation and hard work are always rewarded.

People from all types of backgrounds are accepted, and can contribute to causes that have a real impact. If you're not sure how to get started with non-profits, or are just looking for a meaningful career then this is a great place to try.

There are tonnes of options for advancement, the staff teams are friendly and supportive, and the job is alot of fun if you have the right attitude about meeting new people.
Pros
Good management structure and growth
Cons
Not for lazy people. Poor work ethic is not rewarded.
Great Place to Work if you Have Any Side passions
Amnesty International Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2017
I'm a freelance photographer and working at public Outreach as a fundraisers gives me a flexible schedule.

I can work on the days I am not doing any photo shots for my clients. Works really great because my photographer schedule can be so unpredictable and they are really accommodating about it.

People are cool, we get to travel to different cities to fundraise and we have team events all time.
Pros
Help support charities, free incentives, above minimum wage and flexible shifts
Cons
Rain or Shine you work
General
Fundraising Coordinator/Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 November 2017
I wouldn't work here ever again. The job security is horrible. The management needs works. They pretend to care about people but really they do not. Very poorly organised.
fun, caring, amazing place to work
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2017
The perfect job if you want to learn about world issues and get a chance to talk to real people about how they can make a difference. The people you meet will be your friends for life. It is such a fun and rewarding place to work. You will not regret it!
Staff and overall experience was satisfying
Non-Profit Charity Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 October 2017
The staff during training did give a lot of guidance towards making an effort to help perfect our speeches as well as assisting us in learning how to approach people on the street.
Cons
work in all weather
Really fulfilling, with lots of room for growth
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 October 2017
This is the first time I've ever had a job where my hard work and dedication to the job are recognized and rewarded! As long as you're the kind of person that shows up on time, is reliable for shifts, and puts their whole self into the shift, you are going to go far in the company.

It's also not hard to throw yourself into the job because the work you're doing is crucial for the proper functioning of some high profile, really awesome charities! This isn't to say it's a walk in the park, you need to gain skills and be willing to improve yourself as a fundraiser, but once you start to get good at it, it feels phenomenal.

The workplace culture is pretty cool because for the most part you're working with like-minded people who also want to do some good in the world, and there's a lot of encouragement and pumping up to put you in the right headspace to be able to inspire others to give!

All in all, this job is really fun, pretty flexible, and is invested in helping their employees to grow. Badass company to work for.
Pros
Super fulfilling, opportunities for growth, get to pick your schedule every week
Cons
Need to be able to deal with rejection
Fulfilling job with great culture!
Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 September 2017
I can honestly say that this is a job where I come to work everyday and I don't feel like I am wasting my time.

Fundraising door to door for charity may not be glamorous but the other staff and management make it fun and worthwhile! The people who work here come from different backgrounds and are welcoming and open to everyone.

You get to talk to interesting people everyday, while raising money for worthwhile causes. So, it doesn't get boring.

Also, it's easy to move up in the company if you work hard. It makes you feel like you are valuable, and not just a number to management.

I would recommend this job to anyone, you learn A LOT and you are always contributing to good causes.
Positive, Young Will teach you sale skills.
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 August 2017
Has a lot of great qualities. Daily meetings and pump ups to keep things positive. Meaningful work. Great from breaking out of retail and will teach you skills that can last a life time.

Some of their long term supervisors are filled with drama. One in particular is extremely negative and always gossiping, or even manipulating others to do worse. They have been brought to management attention many times but it's never dealt with.

No job security. If you drop your quota you're out.

They need to catch up in their hourly wage. Out of all hourly wage fundraising group they are the lowest.
Pros
Fun, purpose, good for breaking out of retail.
Cons
Some bad supervisors, stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Public Outreach. Our community is ready to answer.