Public Outreach Employee Reviews

Très bonne environnement de travail
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 September 2018
C'est un travail qui vous pousse a dépasser vos limites.
Pros
Incitatif
Cons
Certaines personnes ne gérait pas la pression et il y avais souvent de nouveaux employer
Outgoing and positive work environment
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 September 2018
The Edmonton office starts at 10am, the whole team would leave for turf. Canvassing grounds are around downtown, head there either by bus or carpool. Get to turf and practice pitching, start at 10:30 and begin to fundraise for usually 8 hours with 2 breaks as a team. Try to fundraise a minimum of 40$ monthly packs as target. End of the day debrief on turf.

This job forces you to learn how to get out of your comfort zone and to approach someone on the street; a lot of open body language, become personable and positive. You learn how to pitch people and build strong rapport. Also become more wordly due to the topics you are discussing depending on the charity. Able to think on your feet diligently by delivering purposeful answers to controversial questions.

Hardest part of the job is meeting really rude people. A lot of people are gonna brush you off. Its a numbers game you are going to get a lot of people rejecting you but one of them will say yes. Finding that yes can seem like a needle in a hay stack sometimes. Some days are better than others but co-workers support each other on tough days. Management is very unorganized. You work outside so if the weather is cold bundle up.

Best part is the people you are working with are fun and outgoing. So having a strong team working together to help save the world is an amazing experience! You get to empower random people all day. You get to break out of your shell. Great summer job.
Pros
Got to meet a lot of social justice warriors on the street.
Cons
Talking about heavy topics all day, on your feet walking around.
Unprofessional and disorganized
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 August 2018
I worked at PO for over three months, and the longer you work there the more you question this company.

1) First and foremost, this place is extremely unprofessional and is a very toxic work environment. PO contradicts itself immensely by emphasizing being inclusive and caring while giving important leadership roles to individuals who display extremely inappropriate behaviours such as misogyny, using degrading terms and belittling others. Upper management does not care about the well being of workers at all, only numbers (ironic for a place that's fundraising for CAMH).

You are expected to work in rain or extreme heat, which is in the job description. However, they specifically said you are allowed to call off work if you feel unsafe in your work environment, but treat you horribly if you decide to not work on days with severe thunderstorm warnings and flooding showers.

2) Management is extremely horrible. Your schedule is always getting messed up, they do not update the location you will be fundraising for until two hours before your shift starts, and sometimes they will also mess up your salary.

3) The entire logistics behind PO is questionable in general. They prep you to feel like you are helping to make a difference, when in reality the existence of this company is to make a profit off of charities. So if you are someone looking to do something meaningful, this is not the place for you. Contact and work for charities directly instead of falling into PO's scam.
Pros
Chance to meet great coworkers, build patience
Cons
Everything else, literally.
Overall great place to work - only left as I moved to Connecticut
Payroll Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario, CANADA24 July 2018
Had I not had to move, I would very likely still be working there and have advanced since then. They promote new learning opportunities and are open and encourage employees to learn new skills and shadow management to help create their own path.

I would start each day by having a review meeting with my team to ensure everyone was on the same page, nothing was left behind and gave my employees the chance to discuss any difficulties or concerns they had.

As I managed the payroll for three different legal entities (2 in Canada and 1 in USA) we processed at least one payroll each week.
Enjoyed working here
Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 July 2018
I used to work there as a fundraiser for Myanmar refugees program, i was successful in generating funds through door to door and phone follow-ups. Employees and my supervisor was really friendly who helped in my work as a fundraiser.
Pros
Friendly work enviornment supportive staff
Cons
had to wrk outside in winders during cold weather
Great!
Fundraiser/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 July 2018
Great introductory job to non profits and communication. I learned a lot about myself and the world through the variety of organizations I represented over the years. Team motivational building was essential however the company has a high turnover rate and the job was very competitive and there was a lack of emotional support from management .
Working for the right cause, with the right attitude and a very supportive team
Event management (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 June 2018
Every member or canvasser is passionate about the cause and they create a very friendly environment to work.
The flexible hours and future prospects are beneficial.
Pros
Flexible hours and great team to work with
Cons
Targets
Incredible workplace, until you have to deal with upper management
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  all across canada28 May 2018
I've never felt so welcomed into a workplace
Everyone is treated like family and is more than willing to help those struggling in what could be considered a 'high pace sales environment'.
Easy to move up in company, and the pay is fantastic but only if you can do the job.
Everyone starts out as a fundraiser, high pressure and high energy work environment
you'll have to pass an evaluation period to make sure you're suited for the position
Pros
You'll hangout and meet some ride or die homies while (basically) being paid to do so
Cons
Upper management takes everything personally and is all sorts of unprofessional
fun workplace but super stressfull
Fundraising Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 May 2018
everyones really nice but they have very high expectations. the office is very dirty and stinks at times. Management was nice. Days are super flexible so that was good.
amazing place to work
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 May 2018
Working at public outreach as a street fundraiser was the best decision I've made in my life. I would have worked there for free because I have never enjoyed working anywhere as much. The culture and people there are amazing and you will grow so much as a person. I am truly grateful for having worked there
Pros
massive growth
Very Hard but rewarding
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2018
This was one of the most challenging jobs I have ever heard getting rejected huundreds of times everyday if very mentally draining but, when you actually do get a monthly donor there is not a feeling more rewarding. sponsoring a kid that you will never meet but you know you helped is a very powerful thing and despite countless rejection those yeses you do receive makes it all worhtwhile.
Pros
relaxed culture
Cons
some days very difficult
Most of the coaches are bad
Fundraiser (Former Employee) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2018
I was working there for 3 weeks and failed to meet $10 of my goal even though I raised $70 of my training. I was let go without any valid explanation, even though they told me getting a $50 amount on my first day was great and continued to show exponential performance.

Some coaches were fun, but others prepped people to fail, from bad advice to unsupporting tactics. Management needs to get their act together and tame
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Poor communication, poor management, and horrible coaches
Agréable, travail en équipe stimulant
Actuelle employée de Public Outreach (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 April 2018
Travail stimulant, être collecteur de fond apprend à approcher des personnes et à défendre des causes importantes
Pros
Belle ambiance de travail
Not recommended.
Street Team Member (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 March 2018
I was very unimpressed with the way the company and the employees handled things. I worked for a week and was let go after being told the same day that I was doing extremely well and would definitely continue to improve quickly. I was not given a valid explanation for the change in my employment status and it was a surprise after getting praise while working. For people who work to raise funds for such a great cause to be so inconsiderate and wishy-washy made me rethink how I see this organization and I hope this review makes people think before applying to an employer like this as I would not recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
high hourly wage.
Cons
poor/no support from coworkers, poor communication, very pushy sales tactics.
Relaxed work environment
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS14 March 2018
Job included talking to people door to door and fundraising.
Very casual fun environment to work in.
Lots of outdoor work, great if you enjoy walking.
Great pay
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 March 2018
Salary is the best in Halifax for a student and you are easily hired. If you like walking around in the cold talking to people who don't want to talk to you, then this is the job for you!
a lot of walking
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 March 2018
its a good place if you are a public speaker, i do not recomend it if you are shy you might not be able to convince people to donate. you may be place either walking door to door, or go to the mall or even talk to the person over phone. i got door to door it was fun and chill but hard to get people to donate.
Fun workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 February 2018
It is a great place to work in with friendly co-workers
Educated the purpose and benefits of UNICEF fund-raising program to 100+ donors
Developed fundraising strategy according to the different demographics on every door
All in all, I learned essential people skills.
Amazing People
Fundraising Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2018
The team is beyond excellent. Team leaders and managers always support and help when needed. Flexible schedule which works best for students who can only work part-time
Pros
team work, flexible schedule
Cons
travelling around GTA often
Fun and exciting place to work
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2018
A great way to hone your social skills and empathy. Had a great time while working there because of the charities associated with Public Outreach, the employees and fun atmosphere.
Pros
travelling, friendly atmosphere, rewarding experience
Cons
long hours, adapting to different environments

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Public Outreach. Our community is ready to answer.