Public Outreach Employee Reviews

Positive Learning Experience
Bilingual Community Outreach Worker (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 December 2018
This company help me in honing my skills as an outreach worker in providing direct exposure and assistance in supporting communities in need. My experience in working with the homeless and at risk youth have grown tremendously due to my experience with Public Outreach
Unpaid Wages - Labour Standards Violations
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 December 2018
I was hired in November as a fundraiser. I only worked there for a few weeks, but still haven't received any pay for the work I did. It's been more than 10 days since my last day of employment. They told me I could pick up my cheques during office hours, but the three times I went, the office was locked and completely empty. The fundraising coordinator for the region has also not returned any of my calls or emails. This company is extremely unorganized, and has a very high turn-over rate. I would not recommend working for this company.
Cons
Unpaid wages, lack of communication
Not the best
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2018
Overall I did like the positive and outgoing environment at Public Outreach. But having in work outside throughout my shift was something i did not enjoy. Working in the snow or rain was a hassle.
Not much room for growth
RECRUITER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2018
Management was very nice. PO is an inclusive and fun work environment. Unfortunately, they don't pay well at all and there is very little room for growth.
Pros
Free lunch once a week, relaxed atmosphere, family vibe.
Cons
Not enough pay
Total scam
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC22 October 2018
I worked here for 4 days... it was absolutely terrible. In the first 2 days all the other team members just didn’t show up so on my last day I was there ALONE. They expect you to stand outside in any weather for hours talking to people who really don’t want to talk to you. Pay was suppose to be $15 an hour and I got paid $14.75 for 4 days of work ????? Less then what I’m suppose to make an hour ????
Completely use sad stories to get money from people for there own profit. I will tell everyone I know to never donate to this charity or work for them.
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
Long standing
Result driven organization. Lots of gossip among managers beind the scenes.
Fundraising Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 October 2018
It can be a fun job experience if you do not engage in the gossip. Lots of commuting. Fun travel trips with coworkers. Gotta hit quotas. Lots of incentives. If you don't speak up you will get taken advantage of
Pros
Incentives, Travel trips, Fun team culture
Cons
Lots of travelling, Long hours on your feet, Quota
fun workplace with great people
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 October 2018
Public outreach is a great place to at and with great people. I worked for Doctors Without Borders (MSF) and as a fundraiser I got to help those in need and help create opportunities for those who don't. Speaking as one voice to make a change for the better.
Très bonne environnement de travail
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 September 2018
C'est un travail qui vous pousse a dépasser vos limites.
Pros
Incitatif
Cons
Certaines personnes ne gérait pas la pression et il y avais souvent de nouveaux employer
Outgoing and positive work environment
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 September 2018
The Edmonton office starts at 10am, the whole team would leave for turf. Canvassing grounds are around downtown, head there either by bus or carpool. Get to turf and practice pitching, start at 10:30 and begin to fundraise for usually 8 hours with 2 breaks as a team. Try to fundraise a minimum of 40$ monthly packs as target. End of the day debrief on turf.

This job forces you to learn how to get out of your comfort zone and to approach someone on the street; a lot of open body language, become personable and positive. You learn how to pitch people and build strong rapport. Also become more wordly due to the topics you are discussing depending on the charity. Able to think on your feet diligently by delivering purposeful answers to controversial questions.

Hardest part of the job is meeting really rude people. A lot of people are gonna brush you off. Its a numbers game you are going to get a lot of people rejecting you but one of them will say yes. Finding that yes can seem like a needle in a hay stack sometimes. Some days are better than others but co-workers support each other on tough days. Management is very unorganized. You work outside so if the weather is cold bundle up.

Best part is the people you are working with are fun and outgoing. So having a strong team working together to help save the world is an amazing experience! You get to empower random people all day. You get to break out of your shell. Great summer job.
Pros
Got to meet a lot of social justice warriors on the street.
Cons
Talking about heavy topics all day, on your feet walking around.
Unprofessional and disorganized
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 August 2018
I worked at PO for over three months, and the longer you work there the more you question this company.

1) First and foremost, this place is extremely unprofessional and is a very toxic work environment. PO contradicts itself immensely by emphasizing being inclusive and caring while giving important leadership roles to individuals who display extremely inappropriate behaviours such as misogyny, using degrading terms and belittling others. Upper management does not care about the well being of workers at all, only numbers (ironic for a place that's fundraising for CAMH).

You are expected to work in rain or extreme heat, which is in the job description. However, they specifically said you are allowed to call off work if you feel unsafe in your work environment, but treat you horribly if you decide to not work on days with severe thunderstorm warnings and flooding showers.

2) Management is extremely horrible. Your schedule is always getting messed up, they do not update the location you will be fundraising for until two hours before your shift starts, and sometimes they will also mess up your salary.

3) The entire logistics behind PO is questionable in general. They prep you to feel like you are helping to make a difference, when in reality the existence of this company is to make a profit off of charities. So if you are someone looking to do something meaningful, this is not the place for you. Contact and work for charities directly instead of falling into PO's scam.
Pros
Chance to meet great coworkers, build patience
Cons
Everything else, literally.
Overall great place to work - only left as I moved to Connecticut
Payroll Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario, CANADA24 July 2018
Had I not had to move, I would very likely still be working there and have advanced since then. They promote new learning opportunities and are open and encourage employees to learn new skills and shadow management to help create their own path.

I would start each day by having a review meeting with my team to ensure everyone was on the same page, nothing was left behind and gave my employees the chance to discuss any difficulties or concerns they had.

As I managed the payroll for three different legal entities (2 in Canada and 1 in USA) we processed at least one payroll each week.
Enjoyed working here
Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 July 2018
I used to work there as a fundraiser for Myanmar refugees program, i was successful in generating funds through door to door and phone follow-ups. Employees and my supervisor was really friendly who helped in my work as a fundraiser.
Pros
Friendly work enviornment supportive staff
Cons
had to wrk outside in winders during cold weather
Great!
Fundraiser/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 July 2018
Great introductory job to non profits and communication. I learned a lot about myself and the world through the variety of organizations I represented over the years. Team motivational building was essential however the company has a high turnover rate and the job was very competitive and there was a lack of emotional support from management .
Working for the right cause, with the right attitude and a very supportive team
Event management (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 June 2018
Every member or canvasser is passionate about the cause and they create a very friendly environment to work.
The flexible hours and future prospects are beneficial.
Pros
Flexible hours and great team to work with
Cons
Targets
Incredible workplace, until you have to deal with upper management
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  all across canada28 May 2018
I've never felt so welcomed into a workplace
Everyone is treated like family and is more than willing to help those struggling in what could be considered a 'high pace sales environment'.
Easy to move up in company, and the pay is fantastic but only if you can do the job.
Everyone starts out as a fundraiser, high pressure and high energy work environment
you'll have to pass an evaluation period to make sure you're suited for the position
Pros
You'll hangout and meet some ride or die homies while (basically) being paid to do so
Cons
Upper management takes everything personally and is all sorts of unprofessional
fun workplace but super stressfull
Fundraising Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 May 2018
everyones really nice but they have very high expectations. the office is very dirty and stinks at times. Management was nice. Days are super flexible so that was good.
amazing place to work
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 May 2018
Working at public outreach as a street fundraiser was the best decision I've made in my life. I would have worked there for free because I have never enjoyed working anywhere as much. The culture and people there are amazing and you will grow so much as a person. I am truly grateful for having worked there
Pros
massive growth
Very Hard but rewarding
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2018
This was one of the most challenging jobs I have ever heard getting rejected huundreds of times everyday if very mentally draining but, when you actually do get a monthly donor there is not a feeling more rewarding. sponsoring a kid that you will never meet but you know you helped is a very powerful thing and despite countless rejection those yeses you do receive makes it all worhtwhile.
Pros
relaxed culture
Cons
some days very difficult
Most of the coaches are bad
Fundraiser (Former Employee) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2018
I was working there for 3 weeks and failed to meet $10 of my goal even though I raised $70 of my training. I was let go without any valid explanation, even though they told me getting a $50 amount on my first day was great and continued to show exponential performance.

Some coaches were fun, but others prepped people to fail, from bad advice to unsupporting tactics. Management needs to get their act together and tame
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Poor communication, poor management, and horrible coaches
Agréable, travail en équipe stimulant
Actuelle employée de Public Outreach (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 April 2018
Travail stimulant, être collecteur de fond apprend à approcher des personnes et à défendre des causes importantes
Pros
Belle ambiance de travail

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Public Outreach. Our community is ready to answer.