Public Outreach

Public Outreach Employee Reviews

Canada157 reviews
A good company to work for when your first move to Toronto
I truly enjoyed my time at the company. My fellow and more experienced fundraisers were great and helped my find my a unique approach to talking to donors.
Fun place but there is a lack of professional management
Lack of proper management and transparency. Management culture needs to be professionally improved.
It is great for people who are highly motivated, however due to their lack of wanting to fix underlying issues the shortcuts they take hurt employees and disrupt entire offices
Pros
Relaxed environment filled with passionate people
Cons
need to upskill managers
Great Boss and relaxed environment
The work environment is laidback. There is a good work/life balance. I learned a lot of new things in the short space of time that I was there. I had an excellent Manager who coached me but also cared about my well-being.
Boulot stressant et mal payé
They say they work in the humanitarian sector but in truth they use part of the donations to pay the employees. In addition, we use telephone sales techniques to potential donors to raise money, we are forced to lie, managers are incompetent, working conditions are deplorable. I strongly not recommend this "non-profit" company.
People that i worked with were amazing
I was a fundraiser. So i had to go out doors, door to door to houses convincing people to donate. I was going on streets specified on behalf of UNICEF. But i quit as i was not sure of my health as it was too cold outside to walk and convince people.
Something Felt Off...
I'm not sure what it was about them but I didn't feel great working for them. They give you a few hours of training and then you're out in the field the next day hoping to get donations and meet your quota. Even though I loved the charities we helping, something about working with them through Public Outreach didn't feel right.
Competitive and Challenging
The job is stressful and rewarding. The management can make thing very stressful on staff but it depends on how well you deal with stress. It can be a fun environment at times and you get to meet lots of great individuals.
Awful management, good co-workers
Your co-workers will tell you about how much they hate management. And you'll soon quickly understand why. They are incompetent, lazy and often lie to their employees about giving out certain benefits or bonuses.

Here's the rule: if management tells you anything, but gives no written evidence of it, do not believe them. They will dangle a carrot over your head and keep you running towards it.

The job is dangerous. You will worry about the safety of your smaller coworkers, especially other girls. They make you work in unsafe neighbourhoods, far past sundown and they don't ensure that everyone has a partner to work with.

The job are ridiculous donation standards. People can't donate once, they have to make it a monthly contribution.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Public Outreach?
Scammers - Beware!
Company will try its hardest to not pay you for the hours you have worked. Do not work for this company. Management is toxic, turn over is extremely high for a reason.
Nice people relaxed schedule
Nice coworkers and the managers are nice as well. It is a physically and emotionally demanding job because you have to be walking around during your shift and talking to people who aren't always happy to see you. The hours are quite flexible though as long as you can commit to working 3 shifts per week
good
A good and healthy place to gain experience in relevant field, with a good working environment for the employeed and supervisors. Comapny policies are clear.
Face to Face Fundraiser
You are basically just a number here and all they care about is the money, not the charities at all. I'd avoid if you actually care about making an impact. Everyone is in competition with each other, no one really cares about the charities.

Management only cares about you if you are making money for them so they look better.
Supportive community, ethical work place
A super ethical work place that you can be yourself without judgement. High energetic place every morning and such a supportive community. I worked in a very difficult time of my life, but blessed to have love and kindness from my co-workers. The manajment could be more involved with the agents, but they stuck in too much paperwork. No job security.
A good experience overall
This was a high stress job. I wasnt on comission but there is a quota to hit. You do get help, but you have to be a certain type of person to do fave to face fundraising. I really enjoyed my time here. Made friends and grew as a person, but there were a lot of issues, mostly in higher management, mostly with drama, and the stress of it all. It's a consuming job, and the culture becomes close knit if you stay because it has to be as a result of the stress. Not for everyone and not for long term unless you want to go into management, but decent overall.
Avoid this company
I worked literally one shift here and quit immediately. Management is super shady and didn't even provide me with a break. When I finally asked to go on my break (because I was starving and crazy thirsty) I was made to feel guilty and like I was slacking off. I walked for 4 hours straight with zero offer of a break. Insanely unethical and unprofessional.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
unethical, unprofessional
Management doesn't care and will lie to you
The company only cares about the bottom line. Listen to the way the management talks about the charities and you'll realize that they don't care. To them, the charitiable causes are just talking points. They really don't care about the programs or the goals of the organizations. They only want monthly donations which help them cozy up to the charities and increase the company's cash flow. Even if someone wants to give $100 one time, they will tell you to reject this money.

Management at this company is terrible. Here are things you can expect and many of your co-workers will tell you about. These are not isolated incidents.

1. Not paying you the hours you've worked or the hourly rate. I was paid for training wage of $15/hr despite having been hired two weeks prior. Many of your co-workers will tell you to keep track of your hours and many of them have random hours docked despite being on time and working the entire block of time. The longer you work here, the more money that won't reach your hand.

2. Work locations will change last minute. Many of the workers are commuters and it takes them an hour or two to get to work. Yet management is too lazy to update the work location often until two-three hours before the shift starts. You will be half way to one end of town only to realize the new location is on the opposite end.

3. You work the same area over and over. Every single location they operate in has already been done over and over again. Many of these neighbourhoods have been tapped dry. These people get canvassed sometimes several times a week. You might
 - more...
Awesome place to work for amazing charities.
To be concise and precise simultaneously I'll put it this way, work satisfaction and challenges await you at public outreach. You talk to an enormous amount of people, social interaction is something you need to be smooth at.
Pros
Views
Cons
Walking, outdoors, cold.
Is this a job?
I got there the place was dirty . Will all due respect they wasted my time . Got hired not explained anything properly and was informed differently during every day of my training. They made me come and work without properly explaining the the benefits or work system. Made me start collecting without informing how there platform works . Do yourself a favour and work elsewhere you’ll save time energy and the self respect you have.
Thrown in the deep end with minimal training and an expectation to perform.
After a day of training, which lasted a mere two hours, you are out on the street with an expectation to meet a target of donations.

I have to say I felt I was left underprepared by Public Outreach's training and felt it was always going to be an uphill battle for me to perform.

You are expected to reach an average total of donations after your week-long trial period. Unfortunately, I was not even given a week, as after two days I was released.

This was due to unsuccessfully signing up any doners in those two days. It wasn't for a lack of effort either. Anyone who did stop to speak to me was either too young to donate or did not have a bank account in Canada to donate funds.

I also felt the supervision I received when out on the field was poor. While fellow colleagues were helpful and offered advice, my main supervisor offered little and decided that I wasn't good enough after two days. I felt he could have been more supportive and not threatened that my job was on the line at the start of the second day. I see that as extremely poor team management and the totally wrong way to inspire and motivate. As this job is a numbers business and based on successful donations, I felt like he didn't want me on the team any longer to bring his numbers down.

In summary, if you have a talent for this job and perform well early on, you may well excel. However, if you're slow to get going, you may not even have the time to redeem yourself.
Experience at Public Outreach
With any job, there will be negative reviews.
Having worked at P.O. (Public Outreach) for almost one year, I am happy to say it has been a very rewarding experience.

It is a performance based job, so that is something to keep in mind.

Keep in mind that there is TONS of support along the way. Everyone is happy to work with you and support you to strengthen your skills.

You will not be released if you have one bad day.

Consistency and effort are key.

If YOU want to be there, and not just show up for a 9-5, then it is definitely manageable.

The staff is great. The team leaders are wonderful.

The organizations you will represent are all very reputable, which makes it such a fulfilling job.

The skills that I have gained while working here are unique to the position and will not be learnt anywhere else.

It is a safe and welcoming environment.
Competitive
you have ti compete with your coworkers. They only care about sales and not really the cause they are raising awareness for. If you are more interested in helping people than I do not recommend this job for you