Public Outreach Employee Reviews

Overall great place to work - only left as I moved to Connecticut
Payroll Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario, CANADA24 July 2018
Had I not had to move, I would very likely still be working there and have advanced since then. They promote new learning opportunities and are open and encourage employees to learn new skills and shadow management to help create their own path.

I would start each day by having a review meeting with my team to ensure everyone was on the same page, nothing was left behind and gave my employees the chance to discuss any difficulties or concerns they had.

As I managed the payroll for three different legal entities (2 in Canada and 1 in USA) we processed at least one payroll each week.
Enjoyed working here
Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 July 2018
I used to work there as a fundraiser for Myanmar refugees program, i was successful in generating funds through door to door and phone follow-ups. Employees and my supervisor was really friendly who helped in my work as a fundraiser.
Pros
Friendly work enviornment supportive staff
Cons
had to wrk outside in winders during cold weather
Great!
Fundraiser/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 July 2018
Great introductory job to non profits and communication. I learned a lot about myself and the world through the variety of organizations I represented over the years. Team motivational building was essential however the company has a high turnover rate and the job was very competitive and there was a lack of emotional support from management .
Incredible workplace, until you have to deal with upper management
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  all across canada28 May 2018
I've never felt so welcomed into a workplace
Everyone is treated like family and is more than willing to help those struggling in what could be considered a 'high pace sales environment'.
Easy to move up in company, and the pay is fantastic but only if you can do the job.
Everyone starts out as a fundraiser, high pressure and high energy work environment
you'll have to pass an evaluation period to make sure you're suited for the position
Pros
You'll hangout and meet some ride or die homies while (basically) being paid to do so
Cons
Upper management takes everything personally and is all sorts of unprofessional
fun workplace but super stressfull
Fundraising Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 May 2018
everyones really nice but they have very high expectations. the office is very dirty and stinks at times. Management was nice. Days are super flexible so that was good.
amazing place to work
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 May 2018
Working at public outreach as a street fundraiser was the best decision I've made in my life. I would have worked there for free because I have never enjoyed working anywhere as much. The culture and people there are amazing and you will grow so much as a person. I am truly grateful for having worked there
Pros
massive growth
Very Hard but rewarding
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2018
This was one of the most challenging jobs I have ever heard getting rejected huundreds of times everyday if very mentally draining but, when you actually do get a monthly donor there is not a feeling more rewarding. sponsoring a kid that you will never meet but you know you helped is a very powerful thing and despite countless rejection those yeses you do receive makes it all worhtwhile.
Pros
relaxed culture
Cons
some days very difficult
Most of the coaches are bad
Fundraiser (Former Employee) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2018
I was working there for 3 weeks and failed to meet $10 of my goal even though I raised $70 of my training. I was let go without any valid explanation, even though they told me getting a $50 amount on my first day was great and continued to show exponential performance.

Some coaches were fun, but others prepped people to fail, from bad advice to unsupporting tactics. Management needs to get their act together and tame
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Poor communication, poor management, and horrible coaches
Agréable, travail en équipe stimulant
Actuelle employée de Public Outreach (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 April 2018
Travail stimulant, être collecteur de fond apprend à approcher des personnes et à défendre des causes importantes
Pros
Belle ambiance de travail
Not recommended.
Street Team Member (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 March 2018
I was very unimpressed with the way the company and the employees handled things. I worked for a week and was let go after being told the same day that I was doing extremely well and would definitely continue to improve quickly. I was not given a valid explanation for the change in my employment status and it was a surprise after getting praise while working. For people who work to raise funds for such a great cause to be so inconsiderate and wishy-washy made me rethink how I see this organization and I hope this review makes people think before applying to an employer like this as I would not recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
high hourly wage.
Cons
poor/no support from coworkers, poor communication, very pushy sales tactics.

Want to know more about Public Outreach?

Ask a question
Relaxed work environment
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS14 March 2018
Job included talking to people door to door and fundraising.
Very casual fun environment to work in.
Lots of outdoor work, great if you enjoy walking.
Great pay
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 March 2018
Salary is the best in Halifax for a student and you are easily hired. If you like walking around in the cold talking to people who don't want to talk to you, then this is the job for you!
a lot of walking
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 March 2018
its a good place if you are a public speaker, i do not recomend it if you are shy you might not be able to convince people to donate. you may be place either walking door to door, or go to the mall or even talk to the person over phone. i got door to door it was fun and chill but hard to get people to donate.
Fun workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 February 2018
It is a great place to work in with friendly co-workers
Educated the purpose and benefits of UNICEF fund-raising program to 100+ donors
Developed fundraising strategy according to the different demographics on every door
All in all, I learned essential people skills.
Amazing People
Fundraising Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2018
The team is beyond excellent. Team leaders and managers always support and help when needed. Flexible schedule which works best for students who can only work part-time
Pros
team work, flexible schedule
Cons
travelling around GTA often
Fun and exciting place to work
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2018
A great way to hone your social skills and empathy. Had a great time while working there because of the charities associated with Public Outreach, the employees and fun atmosphere.
Pros
travelling, friendly atmosphere, rewarding experience
Cons
long hours, adapting to different environments
Great Company Just Poor Training
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 January 2018
I don't feel like they train the new staff enough

This is a very demanding job with high sales targets

If I got more training I would have been able to do a better job

I worked two shifts before they let me go and I didn't have enough one on one with other staff members who were more experienced.
Pros
Fun enviroment
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Excellent team work
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 January 2018
Working as a Fundraiser at Public Outreach was the best experience I've ever had so far. The team is amazing. Great people to work with. They are always positive and support you to the max to ensure your success at the work you do. If you are looking for a place to gain work experience, help others and be surrounded by great/ joyful group of people, Public Outreach is the best place to go to.
I give it 5/5 Stars.
Raising Necessary Awareness
Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 January 2018
The mission Public Outreach has forth for is noble and notable. The awareness being raised on the issues definitely vital to what is currently going on around the world.
Very positive work environment, lots of growth available
Fundraising Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 December 2017
This is a workplace where innovation and hard work are always rewarded.

People from all types of backgrounds are accepted, and can contribute to causes that have a real impact. If you're not sure how to get started with non-profits, or are just looking for a meaningful career then this is a great place to try.

There are tonnes of options for advancement, the staff teams are friendly and supportive, and the job is alot of fun if you have the right attitude about meeting new people.
Pros
Good management structure and growth
Cons
Not for lazy people. Poor work ethic is not rewarded.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Public Outreach. Our community is ready to answer.