Public Health Ontario

Public Health Ontario Employee Reviews

Canada43 reviews

Fun workplace

Very good place to work apart from a few backbiters who prevent you from steer development. It is a government organisation so you feel proud to be working there

Pros

Was treated as human

Cons

Many backbiters

Diverse workplace

You work with many people with various backgrounds. Their shared experiences help you broaden your perspective and outlook. The deadlines that have to be met are challenging but achievable.

Pros

great workplace environment

Cons

working shifts

Productive learning environment

Colleagues were friendly however they would sabotage your work to get their own advancement. Dealt with numerous time sensitive samples. Very fast paced environment.

Pros

Nice employee staff room

Cons

Shift work

Good for entry level

Unfair workload, a lot of dead weight. Certain workers do the bulk of the work while others do very little. No room for growth unless you plan to stay for multiple years. Management has their favorites

Management is a mess

Began work during the covid pandemic, management was not professional. Many changes were expressed to us haphazardly and we were expected to make adjustments to the process way too frequently.

Pros

Not difficult work

Cons

Gets boring, management doesn't care about employees.

Do your job at the best, No one will bother you after working hours.

Efficient Management. Trouble shooting focused. working In the Laboratory located at 661 University Avenue. Work needs to be done, it does not matter who do it.

Pros

Would like to work with them lifetime. Work-Life balance.

Cons

A good place for team work

We handle thousands of samples for testing COVID-19 and everyone works with great coordination to release results with shortest turn-around-time. The best part is meeting colleagues from diverse cultural backgrounds!!

Pros

Team work reduces workload on one shoulder

Cons

We have to pay for parking.

Toxic Work Environment

The only good thing about working as a Data Entry Operator is that it was decent pay. Aside from the income, there is not one good trait about this company at the Ottawa Lab. The management are selfish and arrogant as well as the HR team are helpless and neglectful. They give zero regard for your work life balance, they rotate your hours all over the place, and they find ways or any reason to pick on you.Do not waste your time applying to this location. For the sake of your happiness and mental health, it is a 99% chance guaranteed you will be treated negatively no matter how hard you work or try to suck up to them.

Pros

Pay rate

Cons

Everything you can think of.

Excellent place to work

Pretty easy work with great pay.One of the more positive work environments I experienced. Everybody is pretty friendly and helpful which is great because the work itself can be pretty dull.Very laid back despite working there during Covid times.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Temp contracts only, data entry does get pretty tedious due to the nature of it

Nothing more than a factory

I have never worked a place so steeped in politics and little disregard for staff. While you are told you are working in Public Health which is an arms length from the government, you are not. Upper management is handcuffed by the gov and fail to protect staff. Schedules are constantly changing and management frequently ignores their own policies, procedures and union advice. You will need to be in constant contact with your union rep to as they try to circumvent the rules at every turn.

Pros

You get paid

Cons

Politics, Little regard for health and safety of staff

Brutal to work for

All politics and no support at all! Was not trained on any of the computer programs needed for my job until six months into the job.. do not recommend and I worked in this field for over ten years

Good workplace

Public Health Ontario is a very friendly environment and slow-paced workplace. The workplace culture varies greatly depending on team, but the BioComputing Centre team is small and efficient and very well managed.

Flexible work environment

We've gone through a lot of changes based on all the things happening in the public health arena, but mgmt has been very good in offering support to staff.

very fun workplace .

The place is very supportive of their employee. Respectful co worker. Take care of the personal needs of the employee. Give everyone the equal opportunity to go up the ladder.

Fast paced and varied tasks

Very busy processing samples and data entering. Learn how to work as a team. Responsive management. Result and accuracy oriented. Can be overwhelming if you do not put effort into your job. Social activities with co-workers are good for morale.

Committed Team

Staff and senior management committed to making a difference for all groups supported. Slowly implementing leading edge techniques and research to stay at forefront and viewed as leader.

Not so much growth but good work life balance

Not so much growth but good work life balance. Lots of new technology coming into picture so exciting time ahead.

Great place to learn and work.

This is a great place to work. I learnt a great deal on this assignment. This was very beneficial for my growth and experience. I would recommend this to all students.

Academic work environment with focus solely on work.

Job work/life balance does not exist even though it's one of our core requirements. No room for growth or advancement. Management has never worked in the private sector and team spirit not built or efforts acknowledged. Poor salary compared to other Provincial ministries doing the same job.

Friendly environment with lots of learning

I did a 6 week co op at PHO> It was agreat learning experience. All the colleagues were really helpful and friendly. I had the opportunity to learn many techniques.

Informative and great workplace

Great work dynamic among staff, of all levels. Exciting lab to work in, various medical and health testing are conducted here. Great place to Co-op as well. Staff are friendly and backed proper in-house training. Learned a lot about the daily operations of how a large, multi-departmental laboratory is operated. Rotations among staff keep things exciting.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Public Health Ontario. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement