Public Health Ontario

Public Health Ontario Employee Reviews

Good workplace
Public Health Ontario is a very friendly environment and slow-paced workplace. The workplace culture varies greatly depending on team, but the BioComputing Centre team is small and efficient and very well managed.
Flexible work environment
We've gone through a lot of changes based on all the things happening in the public health arena, but mgmt has been very good in offering support to staff.
very fun workplace .
The place is very supportive of their employee.
Respectful co worker.

Take care of the personal needs of the employee.

Give everyone the equal opportunity to go up the ladder.
Fast paced and varied tasks
Very busy processing samples and data entering. Learn how to work as a team. Responsive management. Result and accuracy oriented. Can be overwhelming if you do not put effort into your job. Social activities with co-workers are good for morale.
Committed Team
Staff and senior management committed to making a difference for all groups supported. Slowly implementing leading edge techniques and research to stay at forefront and viewed as leader.
Not so much growth but good work life balance
Not so much growth but good work life balance. Lots of new technology coming into picture so exciting time ahead.
Great place to learn and work.
This is a great place to work. I learnt a great deal on this assignment. This was very beneficial for my growth and experience. I would recommend this to all students.
Academic work environment with focus solely on work.
Job work/life balance does not exist even though it's one of our core requirements. No room for growth or advancement. Management has never worked in the private sector and team spirit not built or efforts acknowledged. Poor salary compared to other Provincial ministries doing the same job.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Public Health Ontario?
Friendly environment with lots of learning
I did a 6 week co op at PHO> It was agreat learning experience. All the colleagues were really helpful and friendly. I had the opportunity to learn many techniques.
Informative and great workplace
Great work dynamic among staff, of all levels. Exciting lab to work in, various medical and health testing are conducted here. Great place to Co-op as well. Staff are friendly and backed proper in-house training.

Learned a lot about the daily operations of how a large, multi-departmental laboratory is operated. Rotations among staff keep things exciting.
Pays well and good working conditions and benefits
As a retired Laboratory Assistant what I remember is how vital Front End Processing is to the smooth running of the laboratory operations.
DASH, Data Entry and High Volume do great work under pressure. If your job involves wearing a white coat, FEP output is crucial to providing your testing material. Management is approachable, doors are usually open. If you have an issue, have a private closed door meeting and it will soon be resolved. For the most part, job classifications are meaningless on the job, everyone gets along and gets the job done no matter what your "title" is. You may encounter the odd person with an "ego" but it is rare. Staff get-togethers are good for morale and breaking the monotony of day to day work. The pension I now receive allows me to pursue activities during the work week that were not possible in the past. I made a life long career choice to work here and have no regrets.
Pros
clean workplace, fair pay
Cons
if you are assigned to work shifts
gestion de flux des médicaments
GESTION DES MEDICAMENTS DANS UN HOPITAL
suivi de la consommation des médicaments
Pros
travail autonome
Cons
Salaire
Amazing work culture!
Been a research assistant here for two years and it was such a great, collaborative environment. Everyone was always willing to help whenever problems came about and I have learned a lot.
Toxic Environment in Data Entry
The work is monotonous/repetitive and the workflow varies constantly throughout the year. There is a high turn over rate and training for new staff does not prepare you well to perform the job duties. Coworkers thrive on insults, mind games, power plays, drama and gossip. You are compensated well as a permanent or contract employee.
Pros
Good Pay, Easy work, Easy TTC access
Cons
Negative coworkers/Toxic work environment
great place to work environment is good
Loved working there with some great people.

Management noticed my hard work and promoted me to team lead.

Hardest part of job was setting up appointments with clients to visit them.

The most enjoyable time was my manager would take us out for lunch regularly.
Overall it is a great place to work. Lots of room for advancement and most managers are easygoing as long as you do your work. However, there are some departments i.e data entry that is in need of a change of culture and the turnover rate is high. There are lots of politics at that place at the managerial level but the co workers are great to work with. Avoid the d.e department and you'll love your job.
Pros
Room for advancement, easy to do, not a lot of pressure
Cons
Politics, Data Entry department
ok
C'est un bon endroit pour apprendre de nouvelles choses qui offre des plateformes intéressantes de partage de connaissances.
very productive work environment
in a relatively short period of time, I was able to learn so much at public health Ontario. This institute provides students a great learning opportunity.
comfortable place
Good place to work. Has challenges that are not too complex and the people are great to work with. The culture is a family type atmosphere, with many social activities.
Pros
Many pot luck lunches
Cons
Poor leadership
Great work environment
Great place to learn. All the people I met and worked with were very nice and always willing to teach me during my placement time. I felt that I was in a new module of college, because I got the opportunity to be in a very interesting and new department for me, and that was the Molecular and Diagnostics Department. You have a lot of interesting things to learn as see in that Department.
Productive, fun and friendly place to work
Very supportive staff and the management team.
Well equiped and spacious labs, very busy peak hours.

A great place to learn, work and grow professionally and career wise.