Public Health Agency of Canada

Public Health Agency of Canada Employee Reviews

Canada35 reviews
The Public Health Agency of Canada, 100 Colonnade Rd location is a fast-paced office that deals predominantly with Health Preparedness across the country.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Industrial Plaza - no restaurants or stores within walking distance
When casual or term, any question you ask to your fellow employee will be reported to your director as lack of knowledges. Other staff will ask you questions, you help them, but do not ask them questions. Leaders need more knowledge in human resources. Just be clever and calm so that you can get your knowledge there. Know how to ask questions and you will finish your term.
I have worked for several different government departments and Public Health is by far the best. Very team focused. Mental health and work/life balance are a priority.
I am not happy there i have phd and I am doing a job of diploma and it is slavery. People are not ftiendly and they show no respect to me. I think , because I am white ?? There are lots of reading and documentation that not all of them seems reasonable for job. They dont like to talk to you and just hi and bye. The work is not match with my knowledeg and skill. The supervisor does not appriciate my hard work. I know i am doing every thing well and stay late to accomplish my job but it seems, it is not enough . I am looking for molecular biology work . I was hired for molecular microbiology work but instead they put me in the me in the media preparations position . It is 1 year term , which is really not my dream job . I am looking for better and permanent job .
I was busy checking correspondence action requests and responding to the ADM office.
I also checked all responses and formatted them, did the quality assurance before I sent them to the ADMO.

I learned to work under pressure and to have attention to details.

As for the management, I am not part of the management team. My managers are fine.

The workplace culture is something we all work on as all of us must work in a sane and safe environment.

The hardest part of the job is to get all Programs respond on time as we must meet deadlines.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that you deal with people and especially with professional people.
Pros
1 hr for lunch is enough
Cons
I enjoyed flex hours provided and the passion for the work that I do surrounding mental health and addictions. This is my career of choice and the need is constantly growing.
I have worked at one section at PHAC for a short period. I have never experience that type of bullying. A lady with a social worker background, who published a lot of articles on child abuse and maltreatment, was intimidating, lacked empathy, and quite rude. She appears charming in the beginning. But she is a bully if you work under her especially if you are not unionized. I have worked at another PHAC place before, and I had good experience, but not with the Child Maltreatment Section. I found another Government position where I was treated with respect unlike at PHAC. There needs to be intervention on workplace harassment on this section. The management is not doing anything.
The PHAC is a federal government agency responsible for the health of our nation. There is plenty of high paid management willing to spend taxpayer's dollars. I get my only reward from knowing that I provide safe, functional, and reliable plumbing systems which allow the 450+ scientists to help keep Canada healthy.
Pros
job security
Cons
management and bureaucracy. Witness to taxpayer $ abuse
teamwork is highly outstanding, and the research funding is also abundant.
1. you can learn almost everything you want here as all the people are friendly.

2. The management is also highly organised, which make everyone know their duty and improve our teamwork.

3. Everyone are so hard working which will produce stress, but there are always some activities in festival to relax!

4. The hardest part is as an international student, I cannot enter into bio-safety level 4 lab, but some parts of my project need to be done in BSL4 lab.

5. The most enjoyable thing is everyone in group is so nice and friendly. If they have time, they will try their best to help you! That's really helpful when I first came to the lab.
Pros
Friendly lab members & powerful assistants from other departments
Cons
too many cooperation projects with other lab
Workplace was stressful most times.

People were okay

Benefits were good

Pay was decent

Could use better work/life balance.

Management could be better.
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
Micro-management
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Public Health Agency of Canada?
The public health agency of Canada was a great organization with amazing individuals working in the company. I would recommend it for other students to apply for this position.
Not a lot of training, but able to catch on quick if you're resourceful.

This position is in the computer field, so I work with a lot of computer science professionals like Technical Analysts and programmers.
The Public Health Agency of Canada is a good place to work with a dynamic environment and great people to work with who are always willing to provide help or advice. Management was also very helpful and supportive.
Pros
Stimulating work and in-house cafeteria
Cons
Distance from home
This was a summer student position where I maintained a large filing system(physical and electronic) for PHAC. I identified, coded and stored financial and research files. I was given the opportunity to assist a Senior Policy Analyst find peer-reviewed primary sources for a project she was working on.
Pros
Great student experience
Cons
Repetitive
Great place to work. Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Lots of room for advancement. They hire, casual, temp workers, students and permanent.
Enjoyed all 20 years of my service. Would still be there if I didn't have to get out due to a posting that my family couldn't join me at.
Pros
Great job all around
Cons
Away from home alot
Great place to work and friendly environment. The people I worked with made me feel very welcome and helped me get comfortable in my position.
A typical day at working included reviewing multiple documents along with odd jobs. Co-workers were great. Most enjoyable part of the job was how relaxed of an environment it was.
Great place to work, no complaints.
Management here is wonderful, very supportive and advocates for continuing education and career opportunities.
Overall a friendly environment. Supportive of growth and development. Good place to hone skills and gain experience. Managers are open and willing to communicate.
People in this office were a little cold but quickly found some nice people to help me out and help me pull off this event...................
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Public Health Agency of Canada. Our community is ready to answer.
Public Health Agency of Canada Reviews by Location