Public Health Agency of Canada Employee Reviews

great experience
Program Consultant for Regional Operations (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK21 February 2019
I enjoyed flex hours provided and the passion for the work that I do surrounding mental health and addictions. This is my career of choice and the need is constantly growing.
Intimidiating workplace
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 December 2018
I have worked at one section at PHAC for a short period. I have never experience that type of bullying. A lady with a social worker background, who published a lot of articles on child abuse and maltreatment, was intimidating, lacked empathy, and quite rude. She appears charming in the beginning. But she is a bully if you work under her especially if you are not unionized. I have worked at another PHAC place before, and I had good experience, but not with the Child Maltreatment Section. I found another Government position where I was treated with respect unlike at PHAC. There needs to be intervention on workplace harassment on this section. The management is not doing anything.
High stress environment, top heavy with management.
Maintenance Plumber (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 June 2018
The PHAC is a federal government agency responsible for the health of our nation. There is plenty of high paid management willing to spend taxpayer's dollars. I get my only reward from knowing that I provide safe, functional, and reliable plumbing systems which allow the 450+ scientists to help keep Canada healthy.
Pros
job security
Cons
management and bureaucracy. Witness to taxpayer $ abuse
A nice research lab with abundant funding
Visiting Student (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 May 2018
teamwork is highly outstanding, and the research funding is also abundant.
1. you can learn almost everything you want here as all the people are friendly.
2. The management is also highly organised, which make everyone know their duty and improve our teamwork.
3. Everyone are so hard working which will produce stress, but there are always some activities in festival to relax!
4. The hardest part is as an international student, I cannot enter into bio-safety level 4 lab, but some parts of my project need to be done in BSL4 lab.
5. The most enjoyable thing is everyone in group is so nice and friendly. If they have time, they will try their best to help you! That's really helpful when I first came to the lab.
Pros
Friendly lab members & powerful assistants from other departments
Cons
too many cooperation projects with other lab
Stressful workplace
Administration Assistant - Contract (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 January 2018
Workplace was stressful most times.

People were okay

Benefits were good

Pay was decent

Could use better work/life balance.

Management could be better.
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
Micro-management
Phac
Junior Auditor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 December 2017
The public health agency of Canada was a great organization with amazing individuals working in the company. I would recommend it for other students to apply for this position.
Great entry into the gov't
Executive Assistant, Corporate Service Branch (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON12 December 2017
Not a lot of training, but able to catch on quick if you're resourceful.

This position is in the computer field, so I work with a lot of computer science professionals like Technical Analysts and programmers.
Good
Policy Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 May 2017
The Public Health Agency of Canada is a good place to work with a dynamic environment and great people to work with who are always willing to provide help or advice. Management was also very helpful and supportive.
Pros
Stimulating work and in-house cafeteria
Cons
Distance from home
Great student job
Records and Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 November 2016
This was a summer student position where I maintained a large filing system(physical and electronic) for PHAC. I identified, coded and stored financial and research files. I was given the opportunity to assist a Senior Policy Analyst find peer-reviewed primary sources for a project she was working on.
Pros
Great student experience
Cons
Repetitive
Good place to gain experience
Executive Assistant to Director General (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 July 2016
Great place to work. Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Lots of room for advancement. They hire, casual, temp workers, students and permanent.
Would do it again
Multi media services officer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 July 2016
Enjoyed all 20 years of my service. Would still be there if I didn't have to get out due to a posting that my family couldn't join me at.
Pros
Great job all around
Cons
Away from home alot
Fun and Easy-going
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 March 2016
Great place to work and friendly environment. The people I worked with made me feel very welcome and helped me get comfortable in my position.
Slow-paced work environment with a great bunch of people.
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 December 2015
A typical day at working included reviewing multiple documents along with odd jobs. Co-workers were great. Most enjoyable part of the job was how relaxed of an environment it was.
Government Agency
Head of Executive Services (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 October 2015
Great place to work, no complaints.
Management here is wonderful, very supportive and advocates for continuing education and career opportunities.
Good place to learn about Public Sector Culture
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 June 2015
Overall a friendly environment. Supportive of growth and development. Good place to hone skills and gain experience. Managers are open and willing to communicate.
Great Opportunity
Special Event Planner for Environment Week (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 March 2015
People in this office were a little cold but quickly found some nice people to help me out and help me pull off this event...................
very bad managers in place
Senior Financial Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa10 March 2015
I enjoyed the work, but management is a sever problem. A do as I say not as I do culture. I experienced managers that may have the qualifications on paper and can pass exams, but have zero people skills.
Pros
free parking, good location
Cons
bad management in general, some good ones, but lots of bad ones
Fun workplace
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 February 2015
Great People. Great Atmosphere. Lots of things to learn in many different areas. Good Benefits and there is always help where ever you go.
Great Management and staff overall
Program/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 August 2014
Hours of work I chose are 7:00-3:00. Lots of opportunity to learn in all areas of groups. Management are great and understanding of life work balance. Co-workers for most part are friendly and easy to work with with. Hardest part of job is during what I call the quiet season. Most enjoyable part of job group celebrations.
Pros
Flexibility in choice of hours to work (eg: 7:00-3:00; 8:00-4:00)
Cons
Temperature control of office is poor
The most enjoyable part of the job
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario11 February 2014
The most enjoyable part of my job is my co-workers. Without them i wouldn't be enjoying my job. Working in together is key to have success.
Pros
Friendship
Cons
Salary