Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) Pay & Benefits reviews

Micromanagement , low salary, bad benefit
Animal lab technician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 March 2019
Phsa is like a factory, they see employee as if they are robot, management in the department level is awful. All they do is micromanagement . It is not an academic lab but rather a factory, they ask to log in and out. no promotion oraise after 16 years work. Waste of time.
Pros
Job security
Cons
No raise, no promotion, micromanagement
Experience
Health Services (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC3 February 2019
I know people who have done his job , Paramedics trained to deep clean ambulances and restock as it describes. It is a stressful job and it is demanding these folks needed the work and were also
part time local Paramedics but we're let go so that they could recruit other people and pay them much less. I would not recommend this job unless you're used to being on your feet all the time. Shameful that they were trained and then they took their jobs away.
Would not recommended based on this alone
Pros
If you get benefits they're not that great
Cons
Long hours on your feet cold environment demanding job where you feel like a yo-yo
Senority rules
Booking Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 January 2019
Being employed here was mentally and physically exhausting. When there is a shortage in staff you will be pulled from area to area, desk to desk, department to department. Casual staff aren't usually trained properly, and individuals who are not qualified but have senoirty most often get a job because a person with less senority. After deductions from the union and benefits there is barely anything to take home.
Pros
1 hour lunch break
Cons
Repeative, toxic environment
Phsa is a machine.
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 January 2019
Phsa doesn’t care about the patients they only care about money and turn around time. They will have you working 2+ people short then come around asking why stuff isn’t done. Staff is miserable and exhausted. It’s only getting worse
Pros
Benefits are decent
Cons
Management, no growth, short staffed, no help
Great benefits and work life balance
HR Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 October 2018
Great benefits and work life balance; would recommend it to everyone. Great people. Not micro-managed by your superior, which is a plus. Very busy workplace.
Healthcare
Disability Management Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 August 2018
PHSA is a good healthcare employer to work for. Benefits are really great - 4 weeks paid vacation, 18 sick days/year, really good dental and extended health benefits, Municipal Pension Plan.
Great Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 July 2018
-Great place to encourage growth and achievement
-Great benefits and culture
-Great people to work with
-Easily accessible by transit
-Great place to work
Pros
Growth encouragement
Cons
pay parking
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 May 2018
The work in interesting and challenging. People are generally good. Some are disengaged, but they are in the minority. Management is professional but can be detached.
Pros
Balance
Cons
Salary could be better
phsa
Short call Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 February 2018
On a typical day I do long term scheduling for different hospitals. I have learned to work with multiple unions and stay within the guidelines that are set.
Comfortable Working Environment
Associate, Employee Records & Benefits (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC3 December 2017
Given the limitations of finances in Healthcare, PHSA is a stable working environment with many highly experienced professionals. It is a patient-centrered organization which leaves little for innovative business practices.
Pros
Good benefits packages
Cons
Politically driven
Very Amazing Company to Work For
ADMINISTRATIVE RESOURCES TEAM (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 November 2017
PHSA has amazing employees who are very accommodating and friendly, they always take care of their employees and offer amazing benefits for all. It was a pleasure working for them.
Opportunity to learn in a highly unionized enviornment
Payroll Systems Processor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 July 2017
Grateful to further my career in a large, highly unionized environment. Had a lot of opportunities to learn. Limited opportunities to advance due to union rules. Good pension plan.
Pros
Large enivironment and good company for long term environment
Cons
Unionized environment
work life balance and security
Finance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 June 2017
reviewed financial statements and prepared financial statements to ensure compliance and controls. Great benefits and work life balance. Not a lot of opportunity to advance.
Poor management and job advancement
Finance staff (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 April 2017
I have been with the company for long time and actually very disappointing as the years go by with new management comes along which leads me to look for another job somewhere else after the long years of service. The company has serious politic issues and favorism takes a big role in their decision making of who they want to promote. Hard working and just sit down to do the work type will not be appreciated here. They are into people with the skills to suck up with the bosses. Staffs who work hard, start from the bottom, and have been there for years will never get promoted. Lower salary range compare to other gov't positions and pay raises are way below the inflation. Don't waste your time here!!
Pros
Good pension, work and life balance
Cons
Poor management, lower pay rates, poor job advancement
Pressure cooker work environment but surrounded by some of the most intelligent and capable co-workers a person could ask for.
COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 March 2017
My time at PHSA was short - but I gained valuable experience. I found the workplace culture a bit stiff - it was a bit of a no-fun zone. My immediate manager was brilliant - but a micromanager who got bogged down in unimportant details and lacked the ability to distinguish between genuine crisis and non-troversy.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits package
Cons
When you achieved a victory you merely did your job, when you made a mistake you were reminded of it regularly.
Stressful work but had a lot of pros and cons
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 March 2017
PHSA is a company that inherited BCAS which was in some turmoil at the time. I feel the pros were good wages but should be higher due to the workload., good benefits, good education, Overtime if wanted.
Cons- extremely long work days, stressful, long hospital waits, not enough resources, no breaks,
Pros
secure job
Cons
long hours, extremely stressful, pay not in sync with responsibilities and liabilities
Poor leadership, politics, and favouritism plaguing what could have been a great workplace
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 November 2016
While I used to enjoy the work I do in my department, unfortunately our recent management has been plagued with favouritism leading to unfair promotions. It has already occurred twice in the last year with the same manager. Offering much higher level jobs to new and inexperienced workers who were very obviously trying to cozy up to management has lead to discouragement, low morale and feelings of hopelessness amongst the rest of the team. Productivity has been lower, and work is being done with less pride. Manager does not show respect to regular employees who work hard, only to those with loud and obnoxious personalities who constantly engage in non-work related conversations, and take credit for other people's work. It's toxic. It has led me to search elsewhere for a job with a more equal work environment. Hopefully other departments are not this unprofessional.
Pros
Learning opportunities, benefits, supportive coworkers
Cons
Politics, favouritism, poor management
Good Place to work
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC27 September 2016
PHSA is a health sector warehouse. Good place to work but management needs overhauling. Descent salary but should be more for a government job.
Pros
Easy work, not heavy.
Cons
Needs more experienced managers.
Large Public Health Service provider
Senior Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 September 2016
PHSA provides very wide range of health services. With complex team structure and changing requirements.

PHSA provides good work life balance, and nice manager depending on team. Some advancements are offered.
Pros
Work life balance, Vacation, good health benefits.
Cons
Pay grade is below similar position compares with the private sector. Reduced insurance benefits, and increased pension contributions.
Part time contract
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 July 2016
This is a part time contract with PHSA. I am looking for full time work. I love the project and it is providing amazing results in Public Health, but I require more hours in order to pay my mortgage and my bills. They do not have a full time position at this time, even though they would love to retain me, I must look elsewhere for work.
Pros
Great project
Cons
Not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). Our community is ready to answer.

Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) Reviews by Location