Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA)
Happiness score is 61 out of 100

Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) Pay & benefits reviews

Canada139 reviews

Clear
3.2Pay & benefits

I enjoy the fast pace environment time goes faster

Low wages and no increases because of the union agreement not much advancement sometimes have to fill in the work of two or moreothers I told my manager that I loved my job

Pros

Lots of free food because the department is huge

Cons

Reg hrs not much OT.

Great company to work for. Wage could be much better or at least have incremental raises.

Equal balance of teamwork and working alone. Excellent hours, uniform provided-3 actually. Rewarding, semi labor intensive. The sites have different requirements so every site has different positions different shifts and different work days and varying workloads.

Pros

Free uniforms.

Cons

Wage needs improving

Toxic

The VGH facility was a negative experience. Daily verbal conflicts, physical altercations and just a lack of people showing up for work. Limited support from management and less support from HR. A poor work culture and a lack of professional pride was very common. The good was the benefits.

Pros

Lots of paid sick days

Cons

Breaking up physical altercations

Hours are not guarantee

Not worth it for family person & long-term plan, for students good choice work make some tuition fees.

Official response from Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA)

11 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. Your feedback helps to inform PHSA's future practices for a positive workplace experience.

Satisfactory work place

Working as an LPN, there is no room for advancement or other opportunities, but you are treated fairly by mngt. The work culture is stressful due to the environment and sheer number of staff. I enjoy the long term benefits of working in this health authority.

Official response from Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA)

7 October 2020
We are pleased to hear that your experience with PHSA has been a positive one thus far!Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. Your feedback helps inform PHSA’s future practices.

Poor management

Very poor management, have no concern for the safety of their staff, expect you to work for free if you do not complete work on time, no enforcement of procedures

Pros

Guaranteed salary

Cons

Can't move up as everything is based on seniority

good workplace

good coworkers, good hours, nice hospital, good management, better benefits, nice landscaping, work/life balance, job security but no advancement available

Unlike anything in Vancouver

The pace and complexity of the work are unlike most organizations in Vancouver. If you enjoy problem solving and navigating matrixed relationships it is great. It is a large organization so there are every type of personality in the organization most good but some not so good. The majority of people are here for the same reason...providing the greatest level of healthcare for the residents of BC!

Pros

Benefits, on the job learning, experienced leaders.

Cons

Lack of systems, salaries

Great

Great place to work at. Phsa pays fairly, good hours, positive work environment. Opportunities to advance and work all over British Columbia. Safe and positive workplace.

Slave labour

They work you like a slave in the warehouse and dont care if you get hurt - which happens to many people. Their workers compensation bill must be huge! Its dangerous and the warehouse is set up so poorly that you're bound to get injured eventually. I injured my back and they refused to hire me back after WCB retraining. Spent 2 years fighting them and eventually lost so now I'm injured, out of work and broke. Management doesnt care because they can always find a replacement since they pay higher than average wages ($20/hour) for this town. Coworkers are overworked and grumpy. Supervisors are generally d.ickheads. Management is a joke. Dont work here!

Pros

Free trips to the hospital

Cons

Too many to list

Worst employer ever! Avoid this agency

My worst experience ever with an employer. I am a long term educated professional person. I applied for this company and was short listed and got a job interview. After the interview I was soon awarded the job I applied for. This is when the Circus began. After awarded the job, I was told I was going to receive training for my job as advertised in their postings on various job boards and websites. Once I arrived at the training location, the first day went completely fine. It was then I found out that the one day of training I received was it for the week. I was scheduled for two days of training the following week and the rest of the week off. This is the first time I have ever worked for an agency where they only have you come in for one or two days of training per week and the rest of the time your off at home. So, if you have bills to pay, like a car payment, mortgage or rent like most of us, you won't be getting regular full pay checks from PHSA during these training weeks, so don't expect full pay checks for quite some time until you are fully trained for your job. Also, PHSA tells you that you are required to do copulous amounts of E-reading on their website- policies and procedures which take many hours to read through. Easily days of reading material with electronic quizzes along the way, so you can't just read the material you are being quizzed on the material constantly. You don't get paid for all this E learning you are required to do during the training period. Its all on your own time at home. So, if you have a life or family you won't have time -

Pros

None.

Cons

Poor wages, bad managment, negative work environment, low morale

Micromanagement , low salary, bad benefit

Phsa is like a factory, they see employee as if they are robot, management in the department level is awful. All they do is micromanagement . It is not an academic lab but rather a factory, they ask to log in and out. no promotion oraise after 16 years work. Waste of time.

Pros

Job security

Cons

No raise, no promotion, micromanagement

Experience

I know people who have done his job , Paramedics trained to deep clean ambulances and restock as it describes. It is a stressful job and it is demanding these folks needed the work and were also part time local Paramedics but we're let go so that they could recruit other people and pay them much less. I would not recommend this job unless you're used to being on your feet all the time. Shameful that they were trained and then they took their jobs away. Would not recommended based on this alone

Pros

If you get benefits they're not that great

Cons

Long hours on your feet cold environment demanding job where you feel like a yo-yo

Senority rules

Being employed here was mentally and physically exhausting. When there is a shortage in staff you will be pulled from area to area, desk to desk, department to department. Casual staff aren't usually trained properly, and individuals who are not qualified but have senoirty most often get a job because a person with less senority. After deductions from the union and benefits there is barely anything to take home.

Pros

1 hour lunch break

Cons

Repeative, toxic environment

Phsa is a machine.

Phsa doesn’t care about the patients they only care about money and turn around time. They will have you working 2+ people short then come around asking why stuff isn’t done. Staff is miserable and exhausted. It’s only getting worse

Pros

Benefits are decent

Cons

Management, no growth, short staffed, no help

You need to jump from role to role

PHSA is a great place to work ONLY if you can live like Tarzan. Jumping from job to job to see a proper salary. Unfortunately you need to make sure you start with a very acceptable salary as the pay raises are basically nothing and don't even think about bonuses. If you do get a promotion, there is only a max of 10% you can receive. This means you will be constantly chasing that fair salary for the work you do. This is why it is so important to get in at a good salary.

Pros

.....stability? Respect?

Cons

Everything else, non flexible work environment with IT salaries well below market.

Great benefits and work life balance

Great benefits and work life balance; would recommend it to everyone. Great people. Not micro-managed by your superior, which is a plus. Very busy workplace.

Healthcare

PHSA is a good healthcare employer to work for. Benefits are really great - 4 weeks paid vacation, 18 sick days/year, really good dental and extended health benefits, Municipal Pension Plan.

Great Place to Work

-Great place to encourage growth and achievement -Great benefits and culture -Great people to work with -Easily accessible by transit -Great place to work

Pros

Growth encouragement

Cons

pay parking

The work in interesting and challenging. People are generally good. Some are disengaged, but they are in the minority. Management is professional but can be detached.

Pros

Balance

Cons

Salary could be better

phsa

On a typical day I do long term scheduling for different hospitals. I have learned to work with multiple unions and stay within the guidelines that are set.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement