Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA)
Happiness score is 60 out of 100

Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) Employee Reviews

Canada152 reviews

hard to move up because all positions are based on seniority

hard to move up because all positions are based on seniority. my supervisor only got promoted after working there for 10 years.pay is okbenifits good

Depends on the office

I've worked for this company twice in two different offices and one was great and the other was extremely toxic. the second office had lots of gossip and promotion opportunities only for those who are favorited by upper management. the company itself is great and has comprehensive benefits and learning opportunities. it really depends on the office specifically.

Pros

benefits, learning opportunities

Cons

drama, gossip, unfair opportunities, favoritism

Insights into Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA)

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Not recommended

Better experience with the other health authorities. Avoid having to deal with HR or anyone in the head office would be my recommendation. Environment is stressful and at times toxic.

Pros

Getting paid.

Dogmatic culture at the top

Decent pay, but should be more based on cost of living and inflation. Lower management in my department is good but upper management is combative and patronizing when it comes to patient and staff safety. There seems to be a dogmatic culture at the top that shockingly involves denial of current science surrounding the pandemic, leading to sick and demoralized staff and a reduction in quality of patient care.

Wages not enough

For the amount of heavy work that is done, they should pay higher wages. Salary should be more in line with the actual cost of living. There is a lot of heavy lifting involved and imjuries from repetitive movements are very common

Really supportive environment

I work at BC Children's hospital within PHSA. We are very close knit, like a family. I've worked here for years. My co-workers are funny and friendly.

Pros

pot lucks and gift cards

Cons

short staffed challenges sometimes

Not a great place to be sometimes!

Managers are almost non existent, until they get trouble for continually NOT doing their jobs. Then, they come out of their caves and start threatening the people that actually work. Do nothing to their favourites.

Great People to work with - terrible leadership and structure

Top heavy with senior executives fighting like children in a sandbox. A great place for a hero personality. They'll run you into the ground without a second thought. I worked with some good people and miss that element of the job.

Pros

Good Benefits, Pension

Cons

Under resourced, Poor senior Leadership/lack of support for anyone in a role, Poor Vision, Reactive work environment, stressful, no educational/development funding available, poor raises (always a cost of living increase). The list extends for miles, but this is where all if starts.

Some friendly staff, some very toxic staff. Management team is stuck in the past. Medical team can be biased and discriminatory at times.

I worked there for three years. I worked with some great people, but the medical system in British Columbia is so broken that it makes the jobs of employees quite difficult. This translates into stress and anxiety inside and outside of the job.

Fair and stable.

The pension and benefits with PHSA are top notch. Management and workload are good but I found it difficult to advance my career there even after 4 years. Many positions are unionized and job security if very stable.

Pros

Lots of benefits and vacation days.

Cons

Hard to advance career.

Fun place to work at with not much avenues to advance your career

Work can be slow at times but offers a great work life balance. Not much room to advance your career unless you are willing to take on high-volume, stressful positions.

Pros

work life balance

Cons

pay is not competitive

Fake hierarchy everywhere

My position is relatively very slow and boring but there are so many people (outside my team & most of the time people who I don't even know) that will ask me to do things that are not part of my job description. Perhaps because I'm in my early 20s and everyone else is much older than I am, they feel obligated to boss me around when I shouldn't be doing them. Very toxic. They are very passive-aggressive about it too.

Cons

Very little room to "move up" and the low pay.

CST horrible environment, tech teams are not managed/supported well

CST horrible environment. Wrong expectations, minimal training and support. Culture does not exist as employees are always contracted and eventually leave for better opportunities.

Pros

Pay is okay for what was expected

Cons

Slow processes, minimal training, no culture

Worst place to work and get mentally sick

This is not a place to work, better to find a another job with less pay and more mental comfort. The working environment is very toxic and my supervision is P- OS. The clerk () controls everyone and yell on others to pick the order. You feel disrespect and not welcome to work.

Pros

Nothing to mentioned

Cons

Some coworkers are very lazy and they fck the dog really hard.

I enjoy the fast pace environment time goes faster

Low wages and no increases because of the union agreement not much advancement sometimes have to fill in the work of two or moreothers I told my manager that I loved my job

Pros

Lots of free food because the department is huge

Cons

Reg hrs not much OT.

Great company to work for. Wage could be much better or at least have incremental raises.

Equal balance of teamwork and working alone. Excellent hours, uniform provided-3 actually. Rewarding, semi labor intensive. The sites have different requirements so every site has different positions different shifts and different work days and varying workloads.

Pros

Free uniforms.

Cons

Wage needs improving

Kind people and non-stress

It's worthy, even as a casual position, we can apply internally for other positions, and that is how many colleagues have found their next position. Same as myself!

Toxic

The VGH facility was a negative experience. Daily verbal conflicts, physical altercations and just a lack of people showing up for work. Limited support from management and less support from HR. A poor work culture and a lack of professional pride was very common. The good was the benefits.

Pros

Lots of paid sick days

Cons

Breaking up physical altercations

Toxic work environment, please do not apply here if you value your self worth.

You feel devalued as an employee.The advertised duties and responsibilities are different once you are in.Archaic, micromanage, top-down management style.Company that did not walk the talk.Upper management does not practice fairness, when you are honest and voiced out something it will be taken against you.Instructions do not have consistency.Too many bosses, powerplay even with no supervisory (no direct line of supervision) duties.Supervisors do not know how to take care and value their people. Management look at employees are replaceable.So many generals with less soldiers so to speak.High turnover of employees (proof a lot of job openings).Waste of taxpayers money being used with salaries with overlapping duties and job titles.

Pros

Kitchen

Cons

Just do not try to apply--you will feel sick emotionally and physically.

Stressful

I have never felt less valued as an employee.Management is not on site, leaving control to senior employee. Who likes to rant about anything that they don't agree with. Is like working with a split personality. Over all a horrible working environment.Replenishing a hospital and care home by yourself is a thankless job. You are not considered an important part of the chain , uses a system that few understand or even care to understand.

Pros

Set hours

Cons

Hostile work enviroment

Wonderful culture in the Communications Department

Jump at any chance to work with PHSA's Communications team! They're a wonderful group with caring, compassionate leaders who truly support their teams. The work is interesting and always varied.

Pros

Supportive of work-life balance. Kind, effective leaders.

Cons

Government approval processes take a lot of time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) with

• Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA)