Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA)

Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) Employee Reviews

To be clear, there are previous reviews that have been posted here that are NOT specific to the finance position in Saanich. There’s a great group of staff in that department that support each other tremendously well. All staff begin training on basic tasks Surrounding the billing record process Then training progresses from there. Supervisors are supportive, what they don’t have at hand they find out for you. Management has gone through numerous changes Causing Added stress To the group. Multiple system upgrades over a short period Causing a backlog of records. Once fully trained overtime Is offered (no obligations to do so). At times can be difficult personalities as a few are dissatisfied with changes made over last few years. With added duties and expectations Some feel unappreciated. Plenty of opportunities to learn and grow.
Pros
Wage and hours, supportive team environment
Cons
Limited positions to move up, at times stressful
26 November 2020
We are pleased to hear that your experience with PHSA was largely positive!We know PHSA is an incredibly large organization and are happy to see positive reviews about specific departments.Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. Your feedback helps inform PHSA’s future practices.
Actual job and work just don't match the posted ad and job description. Senior management is very old styled, overly sensitive, rarely communicate and don't delegate or trust other managers, but try to run the organization themselves through their admin assistants. Too much of bad blood and politics between senior managers and union members, each working for the failure of the other
Pros
Not much work load for the managers.
Cons
Lack trusting leadership, poor management culture
PHSA management structure is very heavy. It’s still a top - down approach management style. There are many managers than soldiers. This might lead to a less efficient organization. The staff turn over rates are very high in some divisions or departments.
Pros
Work Life balance
Cons
Turn over rate is extremely high. No team culture.
Encourage you to consider any other job at any other health authority as the company is toxic and corrupt. Complete lack of accountability at the leadership level and if you speak up and ask obvious questions you will be terminated and label as a troublemaker.
Pros
Lack of accountability for lazy people
Cons
Lack of accountability for hard working and logical individuals
The duties are repetitive and the only thing that will change in the day would be dealing with a crisis that the patient may be having and not being able to really do anything to help them. Management clearly has their 'favorite' employees and treats them in a more favorable and respectful way than they treat employees that they consider 'disposable'. The job descriptions rarely match the qualifications and experience that are needed once you start doing the job and this seems to be a common practice with PHSA so they can keep wages low. One paycheck will not cover your rent so it is advisable to seek a part time position with Island Health so you can make ends meet and feed your family.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Poor pay
Very long hours and just a negative environment to work in. Some people were really nice to me and some weren't. when I got trained they kept saying if your having trouble or have questions just ask. But when I had questions the people just gave me a funny look saying ugh come on man. They don't allow you to use your phone and it's really crowded in the isles. the training manager seemed like he hated his job and didn't want to be there. Their equipment is very outdated but their really care about everyone's safety which is good. And since it's a government-owned company they are really strict. but on the bright side, the lunchroom is alright and they have a weight room.
Pros
Good lunch room
Cons
Very long hours and just a negative environment to work in.
12 February 2021
We are sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. PHSA takes this feedback to heart, and we certainly are open to hearing more about your experience. If you would be willing to share more information, feel free to contact askhr@phsa.ca and a member of our HR team will be in touch with you confidentially. Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. Your feedback helps inform PHSA’s future practices for a positive workplace experience.
There’s a great sense of purpose among the workers. The managers are also kind and patient with new employees. The work is easy and you are given a wide learning curve
Pros
Flexible hours
11 February 2021
We are pleased to hear you have had a positive experience with PHSA thus far! Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. Your feedback helps inform PHSA’s future practices for a positive workplace experience.
With this employer I saw the most growth and learning in my career. Ability to try new roles, expand your experience and make an impact each day in very thing that you do.
Pros
flexible work enviornment
Cons
Can be stressful at times. ie. pandemic
11 February 2021
We are pleased to hear you had a positive experience with PHSA. Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. Your feedback helps inform PHSA's future practices for a positive workplace experience.
Not worth it for family person & long-term plan, for students good choice work make some tuition fees.
11 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. Your feedback helps to inform PHSA's future practices for a positive workplace experience.
Archaic IT and processes that slow down your work. No training or help available for your job, and no freedom to be able to do your work in a way that would be faster and save you time. Deadlines are completely unrealistic and it is expected you use your own personal time to work so that deadlines are met. Coworkers and management are generally incompetent and in positions that they don't have the education or training for. All of this combined leads to a highly stressful and toxic work environment where frustration is constantly high and expressed through micromanagement, verbal harassment, and, more rarely, physical harassment.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
Literally everything else
10 November 2020
We are sorry to hear you had a disappointing experience during your employment with us. PHSA takes this feedback to heart, and we hope you had an opportunity for an exit interview with us. If you didn’t, we certainly would be open to hearing more about your experience. If you would be willing to share more information, feel free to contact askhr@phsa.ca and a member of our HR team will be in touch with you. Thank you for taking the time to complete a review this past summer. Your feedback helps inform PHSA’s future practices.
The Manager level people are totally committed and really wonderful. The union sucks the life (and fees) out of you. Get out of the union ASAP. Great place to serve society
7 October 2020
We are pleased to hear that your experience with PHSA was largely positive!Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. Your feedback helps inform PHSA’s future practices.
Minimal direction from supervisor, and too much direction from coworkers. I hear endless versions of how one task should be done. The training is extremely inconsistent. Very gossipy environment, and playing the blame game. Supervisor has no sense of how to lead a team, and barely around at all. If management wasn't so terrible, this wouldn't be such a dreadful company to work for.
Pros
Good hours, decent pay
Cons
Toxic workplace, poor management, minimal training
11 February 2021
Working as an LPN, there is no room for advancement or other opportunities, but you are treated fairly by mngt. The work culture is stressful due to the environment and sheer number of staff. I enjoy the long term benefits of working in this health authority.
7 October 2020
We are pleased to hear that your experience with PHSA has been a positive one thus far!Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. Your feedback helps inform PHSA’s future practices.
Please have a review of some of the Admin Managers as they are not professional. At one of the meetings, one of the manages would lean against the wall while speaking - not very professional.
Pros
Parking
Cons
Can not work earlier hours
Corrupted organization with a lot of arrogant personalities. People get hired through personal connections. A lot of rude and disrespectful people. ....
12 February 2021
Continual learning on the job with different tasks and types of work daily. Liaise with multiple teams on each assignment ticket, leading to continual growth of network and knowledge
Pros
Fast-paced work and ability to grow
Cons
strict work policies
7 October 2020
great feeling of value from the work and the passionate people, however some of the senior management in CST were investigated and removed which caused many levels below to be audited and caused stress. Unfortunate consequences of allowing friends of friend to get roles they are not qualified for, then wasting $1M of tax payer money, shame
Able to acquire very broad and in depth knowledge. Good team culture, and knowledge sharing environment. Supportive supervisor and peers. Specialized courses available.
7 October 2020
Good large enterprise environment. A good place to learn how projects are handled in big organizations. Sometimes that also acts as a constraint as you have to go through so many layers for decision making
Was ok made a lot of friends. Management was scattered and not much contact unless something was wrong. I would never go back to that department but would go back to PHSA
Very poor management, have no concern for the safety of their staff, expect you to work for free if you do not complete work on time, no enforcement of procedures
Pros
Guaranteed salary
Cons
Can't move up as everything is based on seniority