Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA)

Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) Employee Reviews

Great benefits and work life balance
HR Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 October 2018
Great benefits and work life balance; would recommend it to everyone. Great people. Not micro-managed by your superior, which is a plus. Very busy workplace.
Great Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 July 2018
-Great place to encourage growth and achievement
-Great benefits and culture
-Great people to work with
-Easily accessible by transit
-Great place to work
Pros
Growth encouragement
Cons
pay parking
Healthcare
Disability Management Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 August 2018
PHSA is a good healthcare employer to work for. Benefits are really great - 4 weeks paid vacation, 18 sick days/year, really good dental and extended health benefits, Municipal Pension Plan.
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 May 2018
The work in interesting and challenging. People are generally good. Some are disengaged, but they are in the minority. Management is professional but can be detached.
Pros
Balance
Cons
Salary could be better
No communication....no leadership
Management Lead (Former Employee) –  Langley26 October 2018
Do not have an opinion as it will cost you your job.
Caring in any manner is thought of as a negative, it is challenging to see the waste of taxpayers money when the management will not take the proper steps in cleaning out the dead weight employees.
Management do not want the hassle or work that is involved to rectify costly issues such as employee absenteeism, product waste, inventory shortages.

All in all it could be a decent place to work but with upper and middle management acting the way they do it makes for a challenging negative work environment.
Pros
I wish there were some, the only saving grace is that some of the people are quality people
Cons
Management, Provincial Director, lack of communication, lack of trust from management towards unionized employees
Interesting
Health Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC9 August 2018
When I worked day and afternoon shifts I enjoyed the busy pace and the interaction with the residents at Colony Farm.
I was kept busy setting up for meals, reminding residents to carry out their daily routines, escorting them to programs, and appointments in the community or shopping trips.
In most areas residents were to take care of their own laundry. In some areas there was a life skills component which required housekeeping, personal care of laundry and room, menu planning, budgeting and grocery shopping.
There were many opportunities to take residents to community coffee or movie outings.
All activities and outings required care to secure the physical space for the residents and staff.
Pros
Generally good morale
Cons
Could be threatening environment
Not a very fun job. Not organized, not promising.
Project Engagement Planner (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 June 2018
This job was kind of a drag. People are hard to deal with and the project was never really organized. Chalk it up to the management but I'm surprised the management wasn't fired by PHSA.
Comfortable Working Environment
Associate, Employee Records & Benefits (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC3 December 2017
Given the limitations of finances in Healthcare, PHSA is a stable working environment with many highly experienced professionals. It is a patient-centrered organization which leaves little for innovative business practices.
Pros
Good benefits packages
Cons
Politically driven
Excellent place to work to gain new skills and experience
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Burnaby Heights, BC26 September 2018
No day at work is typical. Customer Care team sees all aspects of the patient experience. The hardest part of the job is when you have a patient who is suffering from their personal health battle and has financial challenges. We deal with many people who are non residents to Canada or have immigrated. Their challenges continue.
Poor management and job advancement
Finance staff (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 April 2017
I have been with the company for long time and actually very disappointing as the years go by with new management comes along which leads me to look for another job somewhere else after the long years of service. The company has serious politic issues and favorism takes a big role in their decision making of who they want to promote. Hard working and just sit down to do the work type will not be appreciated here. They are into people with the skills to suck up with the bosses. Staffs who work hard, start from the bottom, and have been there for years will never get promoted. Lower salary range compare to other gov't positions and pay raises are way below the inflation. Don't waste your time here!!
Pros
Good pension, work and life balance
Cons
Poor management, lower pay rates, poor job advancement
Very Amazing Company to Work For
ADMINISTRATIVE RESOURCES TEAM (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 November 2017
PHSA has amazing employees who are very accommodating and friendly, they always take care of their employees and offer amazing benefits for all. It was a pleasure working for them.
Company does not value employees/ violates contracts
Physician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 January 2018
The company violates contracts and will sue to not pay employees appropriately, despite knowing they are incorrect, as they know most employees don't have the time, energy or resources to defend themselves.

The PHSA didn't pay me for several months despite working full time.

Once they did pay me, they paid me at a lower rate than what was agreed upon.

They also failed to provide a contract in a timely manner (12 months into the contract year)

They also utilized pressure tactics to sign a contract for less money than what was previously promised.

The organization is extremely bureaucratic and inefficient.

Do not work for this organization.
Pros
Free hot dog 1-2 times a year
Cons
long hours. They short pay you, probably to pay for the hot dogs.
Poor leadership, politics, and favouritism plaguing what could have been a great workplace
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 November 2016
While I used to enjoy the work I do in my department, unfortunately our recent management has been plagued with favouritism leading to unfair promotions. It has already occurred twice in the last year with the same manager. Offering much higher level jobs to new and inexperienced workers who were very obviously trying to cozy up to management has lead to discouragement, low morale and feelings of hopelessness amongst the rest of the team. Productivity has been lower, and work is being done with less pride. Manager does not show respect to regular employees who work hard, only to those with loud and obnoxious personalities who constantly engage in non-work related conversations, and take credit for other people's work. It's toxic. It has led me to search elsewhere for a job with a more equal work environment. Hopefully other departments are not this unprofessional.
Pros
Learning opportunities, benefits, supportive coworkers
Cons
Politics, favouritism, poor management
Pressure cooker work environment but surrounded by some of the most intelligent and capable co-workers a person could ask for.
COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 March 2017
My time at PHSA was short - but I gained valuable experience. I found the workplace culture a bit stiff - it was a bit of a no-fun zone. My immediate manager was brilliant - but a micromanager who got bogged down in unimportant details and lacked the ability to distinguish between genuine crisis and non-troversy.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits package
Cons
When you achieved a victory you merely did your job, when you made a mistake you were reminded of it regularly.
Stability is number one.
Storesman (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 May 2015
Stability at PHSA is top notch...if you don't want to advance in pay. Warehouse work is monotonous and the pay raise is almost non existent. Inflation rate is higher than the pay raise, lol. Union is a joke, doesn't protect anyone from bullies (senior employees that down talk to you like you're trash). Supervisors can not implement or use disciplinary actions against people like that, basically are glorified baby sitters. Sick-time is abused to the moon, everyone calls in sick, f***ing joke.
Pros
Stability
Cons
no over-time pay permitted to regular staff only supervisors. No substantial pay raises, no real advancement to a better position.
Stressful work but had a lot of pros and cons
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 March 2017
PHSA is a company that inherited BCAS which was in some turmoil at the time. I feel the pros were good wages but should be higher due to the workload., good benefits, good education, Overtime if wanted.
Cons- extremely long work days, stressful, long hospital waits, not enough resources, no breaks,
Pros
secure job
Cons
long hours, extremely stressful, pay not in sync with responsibilities and liabilities
Large Public Health Service provider
Senior Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 September 2016
PHSA provides very wide range of health services. With complex team structure and changing requirements.

PHSA provides good work life balance, and nice manager depending on team. Some advancements are offered.
Pros
Work life balance, Vacation, good health benefits.
Cons
Pay grade is below similar position compares with the private sector. Reduced insurance benefits, and increased pension contributions.
work life balance and security
Finance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 June 2017
reviewed financial statements and prepared financial statements to ensure compliance and controls. Great benefits and work life balance. Not a lot of opportunity to advance.
Fantastic place to work
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC31 December 2014
I worked in Human Resources and the management team is very supportive. They do support a work/life balance and promote a very open culture. My co-workers are my friends whom I continue to keep in touch with. I truly enjoyed going to work here.
Pros
benefits, culture, engagement, support, people
Cons
public sector with few raises
Pleasant workplace with friendly but hardworking coworkers.
Temporary Administrative Resource Team (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 April 2018
Working with PHSA was a great experience. I was graced with lovely coworkers who maintained a fun but professional work environment. The work we were doing was fast paced but well organized and I'd have it no other way.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). Our community is ready to answer.

Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) Reviews by Location