Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA)
Happiness score is 57 out of 100

Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) Employee Reviews

Canada169 reviews

uniontoxichealthorganizationculturepositionsalarybalance

Good for new grads to gain experience

Worked here as a new grad, slow moving but people are great. It does depend which department you are in as it is mostly a boys club. Gain a lot of experience putting out dumpster fires but overall recommend.

Stressful and Demanding

Lots of turnover with lots of unnecessary management roles and heavy demand on staff to perform due to politics at the higher level. No market rate adjustment for older staff so the only way to get paid fairly is to leave which puts additional pressure on staff that stay.

Pros

Pension

Cons

Unfair wages, long hours, heavy workload

Insights into Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA)

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energizing work tasks

Not worthed

My personal experience is that work culture is not so good and surprises can be expected. Training was not as committed. Team was not so supportive in my opinion.

I would not recommend this company

PHSA is a sizable organisation, making it challenging to locate the appropriate resource because nobody is sure what they are doing and each department has its own set of procedures. The workplace is frustrating. Managers overwhelm juniors with work and want immediate results. It is a nightmare to work there since management is failing with less experience and there is segregation between management and staff. Lower-level employees are not heard at all, and management only pays attention to a few managers. organisation that lacks structure and is head-heavy absentee leadership favouritism pay inequality substantially below market pay decision makers' bad or nonexistent decisions

Respectful and friendly working environment

Welcome and friendly culture. Respectful. encouraging and supportive. work life balance. I love working here. Managers are thoughtful and proper training process.

Toxic place to work

Very toxic place to work.Alot of conflict between workers.Not welcoming.Very stressful place to work with no support from PHSA or the officers. You feel very vulnerable.

Toxic

Management makes or breaks the job. Don't do any extra favour because it doesn't matter. Supervisors say they are there to support the team, but are barely around

Great place

Satisfied I like the place I work for100% remote, people are easy going and responsiveThe project is interesting, keeps me busy during the day. A lot of development and hence many things to test

Great place to work but no room to advance

It's a great company work for but because it's a union job position, it's impossible to advance in career. This is the reason for so many turn overs in supply chain.

Pros

great enviroment, remote work

Cons

low pay, no perspective to advance in career.

Productive but boring work

It’s bureaucratic so can be boring but everyone is friendly and nice. It’s hard to be competitive/motivated as promotions and raises are based on seniority mostly. However it’s a good, stable job with good benefits. 1 month vacation, immediate health benefits, etc

Sweatshop for accountants

Tight deadlines with unrealistic deadlines, very political environment. Did I mention that it is political. Lots of senior management back stabbing.

Pros

Pension

Cons

Politics

Boring work, good pay

Decent pay considering you may finish all your duties and have no more work to do. Management seems non-existant. Interacting with coworkers was the best part of the job.

Stressful and poorly managed with no appreciation for the contribution

It us a stressful place to work.high volume which is not the real problem.tough managers who micro manage and don't foster good relationships with staff. People are expendable and not treated like they matter.

Pros

Challenging good learning environment

Depends on the office

I've worked for this company twice in two different offices and one was great and the other was extremely toxic. the second office had lots of gossip and promotion opportunities only for those who are favorited by upper management. the company itself is great and has comprehensive benefits and learning opportunities. it really depends on the office specifically.

Pros

benefits, learning opportunities

Cons

drama, gossip, unfair opportunities, favoritism

Not recommended

Better experience with the other health authorities. Avoid having to deal with HR or anyone in the head office would be my recommendation. Environment is stressful and at times toxic.

Pros

Getting paid.

hard to move up because all positions are based on seniority

hard to move up because all positions are based on seniority. my supervisor only got promoted after working there for 10 years.pay is okbenifits good

Dogmatic culture at the top

Decent pay, but should be more based on cost of living and inflation. Lower management in my department is good but upper management is combative and patronizing when it comes to patient and staff safety. There seems to be a dogmatic culture at the top that shockingly involves denial of current science surrounding the pandemic, leading to sick and demoralized staff and a reduction in quality of patient care.

Wages not enough

For the amount of heavy work that is done, they should pay higher wages. Salary should be more in line with the actual cost of living. There is a lot of heavy lifting involved and imjuries from repetitive movements are very common

Really supportive environment

I work at BC Children's hospital within PHSA. We are very close knit, like a family. I've worked here for years. My co-workers are funny and friendly.

Pros

pot lucks and gift cards

Cons

short staffed challenges sometimes

Not a great place to be sometimes!

Managers are almost non existent, until they get trouble for continually NOT doing their jobs. Then, they come out of their caves and start threatening the people that actually work. Do nothing to their favourites.

Great People to work with - terrible leadership and structure

Top heavy with senior executives fighting like children in a sandbox. A great place for a hero personality. They'll run you into the ground without a second thought. I worked with some good people and miss that element of the job.

Pros

Good Benefits, Pension

Cons

Under resourced, Poor senior Leadership/lack of support for anyone in a role, Poor Vision, Reactive work environment, stressful, no educational/development funding available, poor raises (always a cost of living increase). The list extends for miles, but this is where all if starts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) with

Learn about Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) in popular locations

• Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA)