Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA)
Happiness score is 62 out of 100

Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) Employee Reviews

Insights into Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA)

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

I enjoy the fast pace environment time goes faster

Low wages and no increases because of the union agreement not much advancement sometimes have to fill in the work of two or moreothers I told my manager that I loved my job

Pros

Lots of free food because the department is huge

Cons

Reg hrs not much OT.

Great company to work for. Wage could be much better or at least have incremental raises.

Equal balance of teamwork and working alone. Excellent hours, uniform provided-3 actually. Rewarding, semi labor intensive. The sites have different requirements so every site has different positions different shifts and different work days and varying workloads.

Pros

Free uniforms.

Cons

Wage needs improving

Kind people and non-stress

It's worthy, even as a casual position, we can apply internally for other positions, and that is how many colleagues have found their next position. Same as myself!

Toxic

The VGH facility was a negative experience. Daily verbal conflicts, physical altercations and just a lack of people showing up for work. Limited support from management and less support from HR. A poor work culture and a lack of professional pride was very common. The good was the benefits.

Pros

Lots of paid sick days

Cons

Breaking up physical altercations

Toxic work environment, please do not apply here if you value your self worth.

You feel devalued as an employee.The advertised duties and responsibilities are different once you are in.Archaic, micromanage, top-down management style.Company that did not walk the talk.Upper management does not practice fairness, when you are honest and voiced out something it will be taken against you.Instructions do not have consistency.Too many bosses, powerplay even with no supervisory (no direct line of supervision) duties.Supervisors do not know how to take care and value their people. Management look at employees are replaceable.So many generals with less soldiers so to speak.High turnover of employees (proof a lot of job openings).Waste of taxpayers money being used with salaries with overlapping duties and job titles.

Pros

Kitchen

Cons

Just do not try to apply--you will feel sick emotionally and physically.

Stressful

I have never felt less valued as an employee.Management is not on site, leaving control to senior employee. Who likes to rant about anything that they don't agree with. Is like working with a split personality. Over all a horrible working environment.Replenishing a hospital and care home by yourself is a thankless job. You are not considered an important part of the chain , uses a system that few understand or even care to understand.

Pros

Set hours

Cons

Hostile work enviroment

Wonderful culture in the Communications Department

Jump at any chance to work with PHSA's Communications team! They're a wonderful group with caring, compassionate leaders who truly support their teams. The work is interesting and always varied.

Pros

Supportive of work-life balance. Kind, effective leaders.

Cons

Government approval processes take a lot of time.

Good people to work, always had your back

3 to 4 weeks training. Be prepared to take notes, move fast and learn fast. Bring a stop watch and note pad. The learning curve can be nerve wracking especially if you have never worked in a hospital environment ever, 1/2 the battle was learning the layout of the hospital, which made the learning process nerve wracking.

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Training time especially if training for more than 1 casual position.

Disappointing management culture

Actual job and work just don't match the posted ad and job description. Senior management is very old styled, overly sensitive, rarely communicate and don't delegate or trust other managers, but try to run the organization themselves through their admin assistants. Too much of bad blood and politics between senior managers and union members, each working for the failure of the other

Pros

Not much work load for the managers.

Cons

Lack trusting leadership, poor management culture

Heavy management.

PHSA management structure is very heavy. It’s still a top - down approach management style. There are many managers than soldiers. This might lead to a less efficient organization. The staff turn over rates are very high in some divisions or departments.

Pros

Work Life balance

Cons

Turn over rate is extremely high. No team culture.

Toxic Environment

Encourage you to consider any other job at any other health authority as the company is toxic and corrupt. Complete lack of accountability at the leadership level and if you speak up and ask obvious questions you will be terminated and label as a troublemaker.

Pros

Lack of accountability for lazy people

Cons

Lack of accountability for hard working and logical individuals

Poor pay

The duties are repetitive and the only thing that will change in the day would be dealing with a crisis that the patient may be having and not being able to really do anything to help them. Management clearly has their 'favorite' employees and treats them in a more favorable and respectful way than they treat employees that they consider 'disposable'. The job descriptions rarely match the qualifications and experience that are needed once you start doing the job and this seems to be a common practice with PHSA so they can keep wages low. One paycheck will not cover your rent so it is advisable to seek a part time position with Island Health so you can make ends meet and feed your family.

Pros

Free parking

Cons

Poor pay

Very long hours and just a negative environment to work in.

Very long hours and just a negative environment to work in. Some people were really nice to me and some weren't. when I got trained they kept saying if your having trouble or have questions just ask. But when I had questions the people just gave me a funny look saying ugh come on man. They don't allow you to use your phone and it's really crowded in the isles. the training manager seemed like he hated his job and didn't want to be there. Their equipment is very outdated but their really care about everyone's safety which is good. And since it's a government-owned company they are really strict. but on the bright side, the lunchroom is alright and they have a weight room.

Pros

Good lunch room

Cons

Very long hours and just a negative environment to work in.

12 February 2021
We are sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. PHSA takes this feedback to heart, and we certainly are open to hearing more about your experience. If you would be willing to share more information, feel free to contact askhr@phsa.ca and a member of our HR team will be in touch with you confidentially. Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. Your feedback helps inform PHSA’s future practices for a positive workplace experience.

Awesome place to work

There’s a great sense of purpose among the workers. The managers are also kind and patient with new employees. The work is easy and you are given a wide learning curve

Pros

Flexible hours

11 February 2021
We are pleased to hear you have had a positive experience with PHSA thus far! Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. Your feedback helps inform PHSA’s future practices for a positive workplace experience.

A place for growth and learning

With this employer I saw the most growth and learning in my career. Ability to try new roles, expand your experience and make an impact each day in very thing that you do.

Pros

flexible work enviornment

Cons

Can be stressful at times. ie. pandemic

11 February 2021
We are pleased to hear you had a positive experience with PHSA. Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. Your feedback helps inform PHSA's future practices for a positive workplace experience.

Hours are not guarantee

Not worth it for family person & long-term plan, for students good choice work make some tuition fees.

11 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. Your feedback helps to inform PHSA's future practices for a positive workplace experience.

Team environment

To be clear, there are previous reviews that have been posted here that are NOT specific to the finance position in Saanich. There’s a great group of staff in that department that support each other tremendously well. All staff begin training on basic tasks Surrounding the billing record process Then training progresses from there. Supervisors are supportive, what they don’t have at hand they find out for you. Management has gone through numerous changes Causing Added stress To the group. Multiple system upgrades over a short period Causing a backlog of records. Once fully trained overtime Is offered (no obligations to do so). At times can be difficult personalities as a few are dissatisfied with changes made over last few years. With added duties and expectations Some feel unappreciated. Plenty of opportunities to learn and grow.

Pros

Wage and hours, supportive team environment

Cons

Limited positions to move up, at times stressful

26 November 2020
We are pleased to hear that your experience with PHSA was largely positive!We know PHSA is an incredibly large organization and are happy to see positive reviews about specific departments.Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. Your feedback helps inform PHSA’s future practices.

Terrible workplace. Stay away

Archaic IT and processes that slow down your work. No training or help available for your job, and no freedom to be able to do your work in a way that would be faster and save you time. Deadlines are completely unrealistic and it is expected you use your own personal time to work so that deadlines are met. Coworkers and management are generally incompetent and in positions that they don't have the education or training for. All of this combined leads to a highly stressful and toxic work environment where frustration is constantly high and expressed through micromanagement, verbal harassment, and, more rarely, physical harassment.

Pros

Pay is good

Cons

Literally everything else

10 November 2020
We are sorry to hear you had a disappointing experience during your employment with us. PHSA takes this feedback to heart, and we hope you had an opportunity for an exit interview with us. If you didn’t, we certainly would be open to hearing more about your experience. If you would be willing to share more information, feel free to contact askhr@phsa.ca and a member of our HR team will be in touch with you. Thank you for taking the time to complete a review this past summer. Your feedback helps inform PHSA’s future practices.

Great boss, opportunity outside the union

The Manager level people are totally committed and really wonderful. The union sucks the life (and fees) out of you. Get out of the union ASAP. Great place to serve society

7 October 2020
We are pleased to hear that your experience with PHSA was largely positive!Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. Your feedback helps inform PHSA’s future practices.

Horrible Management and Toxic Environment

Minimal direction from supervisor, and too much direction from coworkers. I hear endless versions of how one task should be done. The training is extremely inconsistent. Very gossipy environment, and playing the blame game. Supervisor has no sense of how to lead a team, and barely around at all. If management wasn't so terrible, this wouldn't be such a dreadful company to work for.

Pros

Good hours, decent pay

Cons

Toxic workplace, poor management, minimal training

Satisfactory work place

Working as an LPN, there is no room for advancement or other opportunities, but you are treated fairly by mngt. The work culture is stressful due to the environment and sheer number of staff. I enjoy the long term benefits of working in this health authority.

7 October 2020
We are pleased to hear that your experience with PHSA has been a positive one thus far!Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. Your feedback helps inform PHSA’s future practices.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement

Compare Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) with

• Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA)