Province of Nova Scotia

Province of Nova Scotia Employee Reviews

Canada19 reviews

Productive workplace. Staff were like family

Very interesting work. I enjoyed working with the clients and staff were like family. I enjoyed typing interesting reports for the Courts and liaising with Court staff.

Pros

Interesting work

Cons

N/a

management micro manges everything

-7:00 am to 4:30 pm - learned environmental stuff - worst management ever - fellow employees were great - hardest thing was dealing with management and HR - working outside

Pros

lunch perdiems

Cons

management

good job!

I like my job here, I work with great people.The pay is good and weekends are great to have off. Paid Vacation and 11 Statutory holidays is also great!

Engaging and growing market

The relationship with colleagues was great, the workplace culture was amazing, I can find myself easily comfortable here, however, the salary could be higher to live better in the province.

Progressive Employer

Good opportunities for entry level positions and a competitive wage. Workplace culture emphasizes diversity and inclusion. There are opportunities for career advancement.

OK place to work but not great.

Very backwards. Key organizational goals seems to be overlooked, not much oversight into the day to day operation of different departments. Could be providing a much better service to the public with better leadership initiatives.

Govt job with union/management issues

Often a challenge to change roles because of union limitations and "silo" thinking with in government departments. Positions often have a candidate in mind.

Pros

Good work life balance and benefit

Cons

Very hard to move between departments because of silo thinking

Never the same day twice

Working here, there was always a new challenge everyday. Troubleshooting computer systems and interacting with the clients was my daily bread and butter, with the occasional networking install. Management was great and let you tackle the problems in your own way within the structure of the organization. There is even some flexibility on the start and end times of the day. The hardest part of this job is coming up with the solution to very rare problems that are sometimes encountered. It also happens to be part of the most rewarding part of the job. Fixing a problem and seeing how happy the client is when everything is working as it should.

Pros

each day is different, flexible environment

Cons

limited time to come up with a solution, can be physically demanding

Learning about the system

Learning about the legislative process is something that everyone should want to have the opportunity to be apart of. It's inspiring and gives you access to some of the most important leaders and decision makers in the province.

A wonderful work-term experience!

They were wonderful to me during my work term. My supervisor helped me understand the basics of the job, and provided me with the support I needed to succeed at the position. Very friendly co-workers, and a very healthy work atmosphere.

Pros

Great co-workers, great support, paid travel millage.

Cons

If I had to pick any, it would be 30 minute lunch.

Good work-life balance

The government is a great place to work for stability and benefits. Salaries are lower compared to the private sector for jobs that require advanced skills but most people you'll work with are honest and hard working. Due to bureaucracy, it often takes a long time to get things approved.

Productive Workplace

I have previously worked for Government of Nova Scotia and enjoyed the experience. It taught me about services that are available and how to contact them or have the constituent contact them directly. The hardest part of the job was being alone in the office most of the time as I prefer a team atmosphere. Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to make a difference in someone's life.

Pros

networking

Cons

getting bus home at late hours

Province of Nova Scotia is a great place to work. Great people and enjoyable working environment. You will be asked to manage and do lots of projects by yourself. This makes it a great learning environment.

Pros

Enjoyable working atmosphere

Cons

Slow pace

Productive and fun

Productive Punctuality PMP skills stretching the timings and working hard to reach goals enjoying my work daily challenges new tools

Pros

multi cultural

Cons

A great place to gain new skills and serve the Public

I found the workload to be extensive at times, due to shortage of staff. I have acquired many administrative skills and knowledge of the protocol of a government office and the policy and procedures. Most of the management that I was required to work with seemed reasonable and fair, as well as the co-workers who were very accommodating when need be. I take on all of my positions with an understanding that the job must meet deadlines and constant change. This I welcome, since I strive more in situations like this. I enjoy working with great people and helping out the Public.

Pros

Working with good people who were down to earth

Cons

Heavy work loads at times, but not really a problem.

Excellent Company

-Great company to work for, benefits and salary were great.

methodical work place with professional people

* A typical day of work consists of bug fix and roll out changes to QA environment. * I learned how to handle multiple task and prioritize them. I also learned how to handle user expectation. * co-workers were professional. * manage both user and team lead's expectation. * Learn about new tools and more in depth knowledge about Java.

Pros

jobs security

Cons

salary

Nice workplace

Learned a lot, not only working experience, also how to deal with different people, also Canadian working enverionment culture

Hard to get a term/permanent

I have been casual for over a year. All assignments have been good. Diversity is not just a catch phrase and diversity makes it a very respectable workplace.There is a lot of work to do and sometimes it cannot be completed in the time alloted.

Pros

diversity, respectable workplace

Cons

no benefits if casual

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Province of Nova Scotia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8Job security/advancement