Province of Manitoba

Province of Manitoba Pay & benefits reviews

Canada52 reviews

Clear
3.8Pay & benefits

Working for the government is always nice

Relaxed job and several opportunities into different fields, MI provides you with a lot of in-house training for every single one of their procedures and specifications.It is a good job, specially since their overtime hours are incredible, and even though you're sent away for most of the time, It is a good experience to discover the province and to relate to the people you're working with.

Pros

Tons of overtime

Cons

Out of home times sometimes can be too much

Lots of red tape - gets in the way of serving the public

A typical day at work will very much vary in terms of the job you are doing. Under the NDP, my job was very much appreciated. I would rate it a 5 out of 5. I really enjoyed collaborating with specialists in various departments. I noted there were two types of Provincial employees...the bureaucrats and the true, humble public servants. Under the PC government, however, all "helping" jobs were eliminated and the focus became about assisting the wealthy, which made my position eliminated. I would rate it a 1 out of 5.

Pros

Benefits and decent pay

Cons

Political interference

Insights into Province of Manitoba

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues

Fun place to work

Great place-No Issues. Good Team; management. OT; some long hours. No weekends. Travel may be required. Company truck and credit card (gas) provided. Fun and productive environment. Some stress at times, no pay for rain days. Busier in the summer compared to winter.

Very fast moving work place with citizens attending daily

High stress environment, can be dangerous and unpredictable due to citizens having a variety of mental health and social welfare issues. Little to no support from management to deal with daily issues.

Pros

regular pay check, good benefits

Cons

No support, high risk.

Provincial corrections is a poor career choice

Management have a severe disconnect from front line staff. All employees are just numbers and are treated as such. Management tries to bully staff in similar ways they would inmates. Poor morale due to poor leadership skills from supervisors and senior management. Lots of gossip and can be a toxic work environment. Corrections has a high rate of PTSD. MB government recently had a study into mental health in corrections and how they treat staff. The government got a very bad report back. The MGEU is a weak union and does not properly represent correctional staff needs as the MGEU caters to other workers in the civil service. Stress and mental health issues are very common in this career and the support and training to prepare you for it is minimal. EAFP is provided but the quality of councilors are very poor. Most staff will not return to see councilors at EAFP due to poor experience. Staff ends up seeking help from a private counselor service or from the bottom of a alcohol bottle. Job security used to be good. But with the conservative government manipulating prison numbers with the courts giving out more promises to appears to dangerous offenders, probations not breaching inmates, etc... inmate numbers are low and the province has started closing units. No staff has been laid off as of yet but that's because they put you in the part time pool so you will be on call 24/7. You dont start out fulltime permanent but you are put in the part time pool on call 24/7 where you will sit by your phone for the next 7 years plus until a full time spot is available. -

Pros

Good salary, good time off, some good co workers, decent benefits

Cons

Shift work, start out in part time pool, long time till full time, high levels of stress, high risk of mental health issues, poor leadership, job security isnt as good as it once was.

Excellent work-life balance and autonomy

The Province offers employees options for professional development, and has generous employee benefits and a reasonable workload. Managers also provide employees with a generous degree of autonomy in performing their work.

Pros

Generous benefits

Cons

Slow training

Self-Employed as a government appointee but good support structure

Working for the Government of Manitoba with the Vital Statistics Department as a Licensed Marriage Commissioner has been very rewarding, although not a full-time, career-paying job.

Pros

Meeting great couples and helping them get the ceremony they want.

Cons

Not for someone looking for it to be their only source of income.

Province of Manitoba in a nutshell

The Province of Manitoba gives good benefits but moral needs tremendous improvement. Anonymous reviews of managers and supervisors needs to come from all employees.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Pension needs to be better. Manager and Supervisor selection needs big improvement.

Horrible soul sucking management

The management team are soul sucking parasites who go out of their way to treat staff and some judges badly, second guess our every move and do things their way whether it is the right way or not. I have nothing but disdain for management and feel sorry for their next sucker. Still can't figure out how they are even still here. If they got rid of some dead weight managers it might be good to be here.

Pros

Good pay and benefits

Cons

Management is absolutely awful.

Great place to work with great benefits and plenty of opportunity to grow.

I like the people I work with, they are very friendly and love what they do. There is plenty opportunity to move up in your career and to educate yourself through work. I would recommend a career in government to anyone especially young people to start and grow their life long career with a great pension and possible early retirement. The benefits are great, the pay is great, the opportunities are endless.

Pros

Benefits, Career Advancement, Pay, People, Culture, Work Experience, Workflow, Pension

Cons

Old technology

Great work experience

Great place to work, good people to work with. Salaries are very behind industry average. I would totally try to get on there again if the salaries were a bit higher.

Job Review

I have worked for 2 different deptartments within the government I do enjoy my position with family services however did not enjoy my position with Sheriff's as much mostly because of the work schedule.

Pros

pays decent

Cons

no schedule ahead of time

Difficult Environment

This is a difficult job. More support is needed from management and programs for staff who are struggling. Otherwise, a good career.

Pros

Good salary, good pension, job stability

Cons

long hours, short call ins

Morale breaker

Half of your day is spent on justifying the other half of your day. Workplace Safety and health has very low morale. Workers are afraid to make decisions. The best part of the job is the direct interaction with the public. The worst part of the job are all the stifling policies.

Pros

Vacation, benefits, pay

Cons

Red tape, politics, and Morale

Province of Manitoba

Great work environment. Welcoming and friendly colleagues who go above and beyond to assist you to learn your new roles within the organization.

Pros

Great Management, Good team environment, great hours, Fabulous new offices

Cons

Term position not entitled to benefits until 12 months

rewarding work, excellent executive management

A typical day at work involves being around the same team I've worked with for the most part for my 13 years in the organization. We develop together. There is a wonderful team spirit. The hardest part of my job is telling people we can't try out their great ideas because (insert reason here, usually budget concerns). The best part of my job is knowing as soon as I get up in the morning that I get to spend my day with a cheerful group of dedicated public servants. Also, it's great to know I'll learn something new this day.

Pros

benefits and vacation leave, opportunities to evolve as society's interests and needs change, lots of opportunity to move around the organization and try out different jobs

Cons

unfortunately, often too little recognition for ideas and hard work

great place to learn and work with groups of people

-many phone calls email and some staff neetings-i learned how to be a better communicator- managing staff is probably the most difficult job and requires a natural ability to lead and coach-my co-workers have a mix of strengs and weakness, getting then to work together is the talent- hardest part is being patient in selling change and understanding that some people don.t want to change.- seeing a satisfied client working with a vendor that i set up

Pros

benifits and pension

Cons

not alot of movement on change

A very good place to work with advancements and pensions

I enjoyed working with the Province of Manitoba for approximately 21 years.I started as an Institutional Supervisor, worked my way up to a Behavioural Counsellor and then moved to the financial end of my department learning the financial program that the Province of Manitoba uses to this day. In the end was able to train new staff in the program.I didn't find any of the jobs hard once I got used to it.As an institutional supervisor I worked the night shift and then as a behavioural counsellor I worked the evening shift and once these programs were closed by the government I worked the dayshift.

Pros

benefits were exceptional

Cons

didn't find any

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Province of Manitoba. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement