Province of Manitoba
Happiness score is 44 out of 100

Working at Province of Manitoba: Employee Reviews

Canada53 reviews

governmentbenefitpeopleenjoygoodworkinggreattime

In 3 decades the job and work culture changed (To be expected.) Luckily the students and educators always came first.

With downsizing the unit became less unified as everyone was doing 3 people's jobs. Bottlenecks occurred as staff prioritized their work flows. Political employees parachuted in had their own agendas. Some middle managers went rogue and had to be sidelined in lonely offices. One middle manager disappeared without a word over Xmas break. Casual staff were treated as disposable. Protecting them from management was very stressful.

Toxic work environment

A hateful, back-stabbing toxic place where nepotism rules. You can never advance because all the spots are taken by flatterers and sycophants. This place will irreparably damage your mental health.

Insights into Province of Manitoba

Areas for improvement
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Great Place to Work! Staff are professional!

Working for the province of Manitoba has been great! Workload is reasonable. One minute you are busy, and the next you are super busy. It helps being organized. Love my job and love the people I work with.

Good work environement

Great people with vast experience, the difficult thing can be going at a slow pace sometimes, but in general, everyone is supportive and promotes new ideas but the experience can vary from department to department

Fun, lots of hours. Morale can be low sometimes

Just like the summary says. Sometimes the 24 day in a row aspect gets a little old especially when only given two days off and then back in the bush for the next 24

Political only decisions and Kingdom building makes this an awful place to work.

The biggest issue is that there is no consideration for the civil service staff from executive. You can work your but off for years and be demoted at someone's whim. The union is mostly useless and really only cares about receiving your union dues.

Pros

Work life balance.

Cons

No consideration for the staff as executives are only worried about themselves.

Working for the government is always nice

Relaxed job and several opportunities into different fields, MI provides you with a lot of in-house training for every single one of their procedures and specifications.It is a good job, specially since their overtime hours are incredible, and even though you're sent away for most of the time, It is a good experience to discover the province and to relate to the people you're working with.

Pros

Tons of overtime

Cons

Out of home times sometimes can be too much

Fast Paced, Able to keep busy

Very structured and organized everyone worked as a team knew what their job was and got it finished helped other co workers if needed. Good Schedule Rotations

Pros

1 hour lunches

Cons

Overwhelming sometimes alot of gossip

Toxic management and work culture. Extreme nepotism problem.

This is a great job if you are friends with, sleeping with, or related to management, otherwise you are bullied and treated as less than a number. You start part time on call and expect to stay that way for 7+ years, despite them telling you it will be 3 or so. Expect the worst shift rotations for possibly your entire career unless you are “in” with management. Seniority means nothing and the MGEU does not care about you, only padding their own wallets. Promotions mostly happen due to nepotism.People get stuck here due to lack of any other education or transferable skills. It seems okay for the first couple of years. Mental health issues and addictions are rampant. Please consider any other career.

Pros

the pay is reasonable

Cons

Management. On call schedule. Toxic work culture. Horrible union

Lots of red tape - gets in the way of serving the public

A typical day at work will very much vary in terms of the job you are doing. Under the NDP, my job was very much appreciated. I would rate it a 5 out of 5. I really enjoyed collaborating with specialists in various departments. I noted there were two types of Provincial employees...the bureaucrats and the true, humble public servants. Under the PC government, however, all "helping" jobs were eliminated and the focus became about assisting the wealthy, which made my position eliminated. I would rate it a 1 out of 5.

Pros

Benefits and decent pay

Cons

Political interference

Workplace culture supports opportunities to improve and advance.

Work is construction and project specific, generally engaging with minimal interaction with supervisors/management. Opportunities to learn/advance in the "trade" are abundant. The culture is supportive, appreciative and allows creativity in accomplishing final results. Travel and remote work locations can be stressful. Travel and working with new people in remote work locations were some of the things I enjoyed about the job including the opportunities for continuous learning.

Pros

Continuous Learning!

Cons

Away from home!

Toxic work environment

The culture is completely toxic and harassment issues are failed to be addressed by management. No trust and dirty double-dealings. Management fosters this toxicity.

A great place to work.

During my career with the Province of Manitoba, I was able to advise taxpayers on tax statutes and how the tax laws pertained to them. I was also in a position to learn from the individuals and businesses I met with.

Fun place to work

Great place-No Issues. Good Team; management. OT; some long hours. No weekends. Travel may be required. Company truck and credit card (gas) provided. Fun and productive environment. Some stress at times, no pay for rain days. Busier in the summer compared to winter.

Good place to work.

Great place to work . I had great support from my coworkers, but managment in corrections was not the most supportive. High stress environment. Definitely a tough work environment.

Lots of Variety

Very busy and productive, lots of moving parts. The government culture is very controlled and takes along time for approvals. Waiting for the approvals is frustrating and hard to keep vendors waiting. The people I work with are great and I continue to learn new things.

Not bad

Lots of work have to be organized lots to do everyday, more political than job performance get along with people guards are awesome what else u don’t know lots to know had lots of help

Great on site management

Enjoyed working here. The people were great the community was friendly and helpful. Was a great place and enjoyed my time there. Only left due to family reasons.

Pros

Wonderful management!

Cons

Distant to get there

Average Government Environment

I enjoyed working for the MB Government. The overall atmosphere was positive and cooperative. Excellent work/life balance with no pressure to work overtime.

Very fast moving work place with citizens attending daily

High stress environment, can be dangerous and unpredictable due to citizens having a variety of mental health and social welfare issues. Little to no support from management to deal with daily issues.

Pros

regular pay check, good benefits

Cons

No support, high risk.

Great Staff

Wonderful staff to work with in every way. Always approachable and willing to help when help was needed. Approachable management and leadership. Overall good personal experience

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Province of Manitoba. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement