Province of Manitoba Employee Reviews

Respite worker
Direct Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 February 2018
I Assist individuals to develop relationships with others and achieve personal goals. I also enable personal choice and treat participant with dignity and respect, provide a caring approach to participant needs. I also have experienced working with children, youth and adults with physical and Assist individuals to develop relationships with a others and achieve personal goals.
I had chance to accumulate Experience working with children, youth and adults with physical and intellectual challenges (worked in challenging and non-challenging situations).
I was expected to be Impartial, do not impose personal judgment and expectation on family or care recipient.
I was expected to Respect family lifestyle and choices regarding religious, cultural and nutritional preferences for client.
I was expected to understand and put into practice CRS policies and procedures, and follow Workplace Health and Safety plan including the Working Alone plan
Pros
Absent leaves
Cons
n/a
job is ok,
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  all provincial jails4 November 2017
working in Manitoba jails has it pro's and cons.

The pro side is the job security and high pay for basically babysitting..
unfortunitly you don't have to watch your back for inmates,... you have to watch your back from other staff as it seems they become superhereos when they put a uniform on and they are perfect (in there own eyes)

to become a correctional officer you must take and pass a 2 month training course, and 2 weeks of that training deals with how you deal with other staff and gossip etc..
ITS BAD!!!!!!!!

and after you pass the course and start the job, nobody follows what they were trained to do.. management is not seen or heard throughout the jail
Pros
pay
Cons
other staff and gossip and backstabbing
excellent environment to work and learn
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 October 2017
would go back if i had the opportunity. was a great learning experience and has given me the opportunity to enhance my current skills as well as learn new ones.
Horrible soul sucking management
Judicial assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 October 2017
The management team are soul sucking parasites who go out of their way to treat staff and some judges badly, second guess our every move and do things their way whether it is the right way or not. I have nothing but disdain for management and feel sorry for their next sucker. Still can't figure out how they are even still here.
If they got rid of some dead weight managers it might be good to be here.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Management is absolutely awful.
Important work.
Constituency Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 October 2017
Need to be concerned about the issues that others care about. Need to have a variety of job skills. Need to follow through and listen patiently to others.
Great place to work with great benefits and plenty of opportunity to grow.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 August 2017
I like the people I work with, they are very friendly and love what they do. There is plenty opportunity to move up in your career and to educate yourself through work. I would recommend a career in government to anyone especially young people to start and grow their life long career with a great pension and possible early retirement. The benefits are great, the pay is great, the opportunities are endless.
Pros
Benefits, Career Advancement, Pay, People, Culture, Work Experience, Workflow, Pension
Cons
Old technology
great place to work fellow employees are great
Building Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 February 2017
always busy always more work to do meet alot of interesting people from many cultures and backgrounds always something different everyday you learn something new everyday
Pros
good holidays
Cons
work enviroment
Can be a fun place to work, at times.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 February 2017
Can be a fun place to work. For the most part the co-workers are easy to get a long with. As a security guard. Get to see the insides of a few historic buildings, and learn about them. Which is interesting.
But when starting off as a casual/part time worker. There is very little chance to move into a full time position.
The only way to get a full time position, is to be related to some one in management. Or good friends, with supervisors.
Management, is aware of this but just ignores it. As they do with most issues that happen with the employees.
Pros
Learning about the history of various buildings.
Cons
Lack of clear direction.
Great work experience
Safety and Health Officer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 February 2017
Great place to work, good people to work with. Salaries are very behind industry average. I would totally try to get on there again if the salaries were a bit higher.
Love helping people with many challenges
Intake Specialist (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 January 2017
It is a job I enjoy although I would like more challenges that address my education. I also would like to work more in an environment that wants to advance people with diversity.
Pros
job sercurity
Cons
Lack of advancement
Job Review
Sheriff Officer/Adminstrative Supoort (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 November 2016
I have worked for 2 different deptartments within the government I do enjoy my position with family services however did not enjoy my position with Sheriff's as much mostly because of the work schedule.
Pros
pays decent
Cons
no schedule ahead of time
Difficult Environment
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 September 2016
This is a difficult job. More support is needed from management and programs for staff who are struggling. Otherwise, a good career.
Pros
Good salary, good pension, job stability
Cons
long hours, short call ins
Productive and fun
Executive Assistant to MLA (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg Manitoba4 February 2016
As Executive Assistant to an MLA I was tasked with the daily operation of both offices (legislature and Fisher Branch). This included mail collections, fielding and screening calls, setting appointments, office stock, paying bills/invoices and taking minutes in meetings among many other tasks to numerous to list. I had no co workers and was basically a lone wolf. I enjoyed this position and if a position as an Executive Assistant was to come up again in either the private or government sector I would not hesitate to apply for it.
Pros
Fast pace work enviroment
Morale breaker
Safety officer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg10 January 2015
Half of your day is spent on justifying the other half of your day.
Workplace Safety and health has very low morale.
Workers are afraid to make decisions.
The best part of the job is the direct interaction with the public.
The worst part of the job are all the stifling policies.
Pros
Vacation, benefits, pay
Cons
Red tape, politics, and Morale
Province of Manitoba
Career Development Consultant (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MB29 July 2014
Great work environment.
Welcoming and friendly colleagues who go above and beyond to assist you to learn your new roles within the organization.
Pros
Great Management, Good team environment, great hours, Fabulous new offices
Cons
Term position not entitled to benefits until 12 months
Good workplace with a lot of job stability
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 April 2014
Very stress free work environment with no pressure. Projects don't seem to have the delivery and deadline mandate that most private employers have.
Pros
Stress free
Cons
No knowledge learning opportunities due to the no pressure aspect of every project.
allways a Chalenge
Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg31 January 2014
Very Good place to Work for Always a Chalenge when working with all levels of the goverement
rewarding work, excellent executive management
Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 November 2013
A typical day at work involves being around the same team I've worked with for the most part for my 13 years in the organization. We develop together. There is a wonderful team spirit. The hardest part of my job is telling people we can't try out their great ideas because (insert reason here, usually budget concerns). The best part of my job is knowing as soon as I get up in the morning that I get to spend my day with a cheerful group of dedicated public servants. Also, it's great to know I'll learn something new this day.
Pros
benefits and vacation leave, opportunities to evolve as society's interests and needs change, lots of opportunity to move around the organization and try out different jobs
Cons
unfortunately, often too little recognition for ideas and hard work
It's a great place to work.
Rent Registry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba27 August 2013
good office location in downtown. have good training process. learning new things always. great coworkers.
great place to learn and work with groups of people
Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 March 2013
-many phone calls email and some staff neetings
-i learned how to be a better communicator
- managing staff is probably the most difficult job and requires a natural ability to lead and coach
-my co-workers have a mix of strengs and weakness, getting then to work together is the talent
- hardest part is being patient in selling change and understanding that some people don.t want to change.
- seeing a satisfied client working with a vendor that i set up
Pros
benifits and pension
Cons
not alot of movement on change