Province of Manitoba Employee Reviews

Provincial corrections is a poor career choice
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Manitoba justice22 September 2018
Management have a severe disconnect from front line staff. All employees are just numbers and are treated as such. Management tries to bully staff in similar ways they would inmates.

Poor morale due to poor leadership skills from supervisors and senior management.

Lots of gossip and can be a toxic work environment.

Corrections has a high rate of PTSD. MB government recently had a study into mental health in corrections and how they treat staff. The government got a very bad report back.

The MGEU is a weak union and does not properly represent correctional staff needs as the MGEU caters to other workers in the civil service.

Stress and mental health issues are very common in this career and the support and training to prepare you for it is minimal. EAFP is provided but the quality of councilors are very poor. Most staff will not return to see councilors at EAFP due to poor experience. Staff ends up seeking help from a private counselor service or from the bottom of a alcohol bottle.

Job security used to be good. But with the conservative government manipulating prison numbers with the courts giving out more promises to appears to dangerous offenders, probations not breaching inmates, etc... inmate numbers are low and the province has started closing units. No staff has been laid off as of yet but that's because they put you in the part time pool so you will be on call 24/7.

You dont start out fulltime permanent but you are put in the part time pool on call 24/7 where you will sit by your phone for the next 7 years plus until a full time spot is available.
  more...

Majority of corrections officers would leave the job instantly if they could find s close paying job. But they are trapped as you only require a GED to be a CO. Staff will start and be paid 26hr.... after 5 years goes up to 34hr. Staff get themselves trapped in the job by making large purchases that they have to pay off. Unfortunately you dont realize how toxic the work environment is for you until about 1 or 2 years... so then your stuck.
Pros
Good salary, good time off, some good co workers, decent benefits
Cons
Shift work, start out in part time pool, long time till full time, high levels of stress, high risk of mental health issues, poor leadership, job security isnt as good as it once was.
Its a good place to wotk
Operator 1 (Current Employee) –  St. Malo, MB21 September 2018
Its out door work at a park but its nice kinda sucks in +30 but itz not to hard of work working every weekend is a pain but its olny a short season so not to bad
fire clerk
Regional Fire Clerk (Current Employee) –  The Pas, MB11 September 2018
my boss doesn't give enough work, I am usually finished by noon and have a lot of free time, I want to relocate and find a happy new life with a rewarding career
Pros
monday to friday
Cons
no advancement
Enjoyed
Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 September 2018
Enjoyed a full and rewarding career. Traveled through out Manitoba. Great experience with wonderful like minded individuals working with you. Highly recommend
Pros
Stable employment
Cons
Travel
Excellent work-life balance and autonomy
Finance Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 August 2018
The Province offers employees options for professional development, and has generous employee benefits and a reasonable workload. Managers also provide employees with a generous degree of autonomy in performing their work.
Pros
Generous benefits
Cons
Slow training
Traditional, Hierarchical and Productive
Project Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 June 2018
My experience with Province of Manitoba was great. It provided me an exposure to the dynamics of Public Sector and assisted in developing my political acumen. I would not like to reveal my actual work as its confidential.
Constituency Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 May 2018
I enjoyed my time working for the province of Manitoba and would strongly consider working in any government job again if possible. When the NDP lost government, I lost my job.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Some traveling required
Self-Employed as a government appointee but good support structure
Licensed Marriage Commissioner (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 May 2018
Working for the Government of Manitoba with the Vital Statistics Department as a Licensed Marriage Commissioner has been very rewarding, although not a full-time, career-paying job.
Pros
Meeting great couples and helping them get the ceremony they want.
Cons
Not for someone looking for it to be their only source of income.
Province of Manitoba in a nutshell
Bridge Building/Maintenance and Storekeeper 1 (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 April 2018
The Province of Manitoba gives good benefits but
moral needs tremendous improvement.
Anonymous reviews of managers and supervisors needs to come from all employees.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Pension needs to be better. Manager and Supervisor selection needs big improvement.
Respite worker
Direct Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 February 2018
I Assist individuals to develop relationships with others and achieve personal goals. I also enable personal choice and treat participant with dignity and respect, provide a caring approach to participant needs. I also have experienced working with children, youth and adults with physical and Assist individuals to develop relationships with a others and achieve personal goals.
I had chance to accumulate Experience working with children, youth and adults with physical and intellectual challenges (worked in challenging and non-challenging situations).
I was expected to be Impartial, do not impose personal judgment and expectation on family or care recipient.
I was expected to Respect family lifestyle and choices regarding religious, cultural and nutritional preferences for client.
I was expected to understand and put into practice CRS policies and procedures, and follow Workplace Health and Safety plan including the Working Alone plan
Pros
Absent leaves
Cons
n/a

Want to know more about Province of Manitoba?

Ask a question
job is ok,
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  all provincial jails4 November 2017
working in Manitoba jails has it pro's and cons.

The pro side is the job security and high pay for basically babysitting..
unfortunitly you don't have to watch your back for inmates,... you have to watch your back from other staff as it seems they become superhereos when they put a uniform on and they are perfect (in there own eyes)

to become a correctional officer you must take and pass a 2 month training course, and 2 weeks of that training deals with how you deal with other staff and gossip etc..
ITS BAD!!!!!!!!

and after you pass the course and start the job, nobody follows what they were trained to do.. management is not seen or heard throughout the jail
Pros
pay
Cons
other staff and gossip and backstabbing
excellent environment to work and learn
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 October 2017
would go back if i had the opportunity. was a great learning experience and has given me the opportunity to enhance my current skills as well as learn new ones.
Horrible soul sucking management
Judicial assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 October 2017
The management team are soul sucking parasites who go out of their way to treat staff and some judges badly, second guess our every move and do things their way whether it is the right way or not. I have nothing but disdain for management and feel sorry for their next sucker. Still can't figure out how they are even still here.
If they got rid of some dead weight managers it might be good to be here.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Management is absolutely awful.
Important work.
Constituency Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 October 2017
Need to be concerned about the issues that others care about. Need to have a variety of job skills. Need to follow through and listen patiently to others.
Great place to work with great benefits and plenty of opportunity to grow.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 August 2017
I like the people I work with, they are very friendly and love what they do. There is plenty opportunity to move up in your career and to educate yourself through work. I would recommend a career in government to anyone especially young people to start and grow their life long career with a great pension and possible early retirement. The benefits are great, the pay is great, the opportunities are endless.
Pros
Benefits, Career Advancement, Pay, People, Culture, Work Experience, Workflow, Pension
Cons
Old technology
great place to work fellow employees are great
Building Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 February 2017
always busy always more work to do meet alot of interesting people from many cultures and backgrounds always something different everyday you learn something new everyday
Pros
good holidays
Cons
work enviroment
Can be a fun place to work, at times.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 February 2017
Can be a fun place to work. For the most part the co-workers are easy to get a long with. As a security guard. Get to see the insides of a few historic buildings, and learn about them. Which is interesting.
But when starting off as a casual/part time worker. There is very little chance to move into a full time position.
The only way to get a full time position, is to be related to some one in management. Or good friends, with supervisors.
Management, is aware of this but just ignores it. As they do with most issues that happen with the employees.
Pros
Learning about the history of various buildings.
Cons
Lack of clear direction.
Great work experience
Safety and Health Officer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 February 2017
Great place to work, good people to work with. Salaries are very behind industry average. I would totally try to get on there again if the salaries were a bit higher.
Love helping people with many challenges
Intake Specialist (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 January 2017
It is a job I enjoy although I would like more challenges that address my education. I also would like to work more in an environment that wants to advance people with diversity.
Pros
job sercurity
Cons
Lack of advancement
Job Review
Sheriff Officer/Adminstrative Supoort (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 November 2016
I have worked for 2 different deptartments within the government I do enjoy my position with family services however did not enjoy my position with Sheriff's as much mostly because of the work schedule.
Pros
pays decent
Cons
no schedule ahead of time