Province of Manitoba

Province of Manitoba Employee Reviews

Very structured and organized everyone worked as a team knew what their job was and got it finished helped other co workers if needed. Good Schedule Rotations
Pros
1 hour lunches
Cons
Overwhelming sometimes alot of gossip
This is a great job if you are friends with, sleeping with, or related to management, otherwise you are bullied and treated as less than a number. You start part time on call and expect to stay that way for 7+ years, despite them telling you it will be 3 or so. Expect the worst shift rotations for possibly your entire career unless you are “in” with management. Seniority means nothing and the MGEU does not care about you, only padding their own wallets. Promotions mostly happen due to nepotism.People get stuck here due to lack of any other education or transferable skills. It seems okay for the first couple of years. Mental health issues and addictions are rampant. Please consider any other career.
Pros
the pay is reasonable
Cons
Management. On call schedule. Toxic work culture. Horrible union
A typical day at work will very much vary in terms of the job you are doing. Under the NDP, my job was very much appreciated. I would rate it a 5 out of 5. I really enjoyed collaborating with specialists in various departments. I noted there were two types of Provincial employees...the bureaucrats and the true, humble public servants. Under the PC government, however, all "helping" jobs were eliminated and the focus became about assisting the wealthy, which made my position eliminated. I would rate it a 1 out of 5.
Pros
Benefits and decent pay
Cons
Political interference
Work is construction and project specific, generally engaging with minimal interaction with supervisors/management. Opportunities to learn/advance in the "trade" are abundant. The culture is supportive, appreciative and allows creativity in accomplishing final results. Travel and remote work locations can be stressful. Travel and working with new people in remote work locations were some of the things I enjoyed about the job including the opportunities for continuous learning.
Pros
Continuous Learning!
Cons
Away from home!
The culture is completely toxic and harassment issues are failed to be addressed by management. No trust and dirty double-dealings. Management fosters this toxicity.
During my career with the Province of Manitoba, I was able to advise taxpayers on tax statutes and how the tax laws pertained to them. I was also in a position to learn from the individuals and businesses I met with.
Great place-No Issues. Good Team; management. OT; some long hours. No weekends. Travel may be required. Company truck and credit card (gas) provided. Fun and productive environment. Some stress at times, no pay for rain days. Busier in the summer compared to winter.
Great place to work . I had great support from my coworkers, but managment in corrections was not the most supportive. High stress environment. Definitely a tough work environment.
Very busy and productive, lots of moving parts. The government culture is very controlled and takes along time for approvals. Waiting for the approvals is frustrating and hard to keep vendors waiting. The people I work with are great and I continue to learn new things.
Lots of work have to be organized lots to do everyday, more political than job performance get along with people guards are awesome what else u don’t know lots to know had lots of help
Enjoyed working here. The people were great the community was friendly and helpful. Was a great place and enjoyed my time there. Only left due to family reasons.
Pros
Wonderful management!
Cons
Distant to get there
I enjoyed working for the MB Government. The overall atmosphere was positive and cooperative. Excellent work/life balance with no pressure to work overtime.
High stress environment, can be dangerous and unpredictable due to citizens having a variety of mental health and social welfare issues. Little to no support from management to deal with daily issues.
Pros
regular pay check, good benefits
Cons
No support, high risk.
Wonderful staff to work with in every way. Always approachable and willing to help when help was needed. Approachable management and leadership. Overall good personal experience
fast paced and structured daily routine, excellent manager. Learned to multitask, office management skills, supervisory skills, leaderships skills. Supervisor provided training and supported capacity building for sure
Pros
decent breaks
Cons
working in the citys downtown is hectic traffic wise
I loved my job at the Province of Manitoba and the challenges that came with it. I loved the various clients that I was assigned to and the fun of working out space problems for large and small works groups.
Pros
Great Work
Cons
Tight Timelines
Management have a severe disconnect from front line staff. All employees are just numbers and are treated as such. Management tries to bully staff in similar ways they would inmates. Poor morale due to poor leadership skills from supervisors and senior management. Lots of gossip and can be a toxic work environment. Corrections has a high rate of PTSD. MB government recently had a study into mental health in corrections and how they treat staff. The government got a very bad report back. The MGEU is a weak union and does not properly represent correctional staff needs as the MGEU caters to other workers in the civil service. Stress and mental health issues are very common in this career and the support and training to prepare you for it is minimal. EAFP is provided but the quality of councilors are very poor. Most staff will not return to see councilors at EAFP due to poor experience. Staff ends up seeking help from a private counselor service or from the bottom of a alcohol bottle. Job security used to be good. But with the conservative government manipulating prison numbers with the courts giving out more promises to appears to dangerous offenders, probations not breaching inmates, etc... inmate numbers are low and the province has started closing units. No staff has been laid off as of yet but that's because they put you in the part time pool so you will be on call 24/7. You dont start out fulltime permanent but you are put in the part time pool on call 24/7 where you will sit by your phone for the next 7 years plus until a full time spot is available. - more...
Pros
Good salary, good time off, some good co workers, decent benefits
Cons
Shift work, start out in part time pool, long time till full time, high levels of stress, high risk of mental health issues, poor leadership, job security isnt as good as it once was.
Its out door work at a park but its nice kinda sucks in +30 but itz not to hard of work working every weekend is a pain but its olny a short season so not to bad
my boss doesn't give enough work, I am usually finished by noon and have a lot of free time, I want to relocate and find a happy new life with a rewarding career
Pros
monday to friday
Cons
no advancement
Enjoyed a full and rewarding career. Traveled through out Manitoba. Great experience with wonderful like minded individuals working with you. Highly recommend
Pros
Stable employment
Cons
Travel
The Province offers employees options for professional development, and has generous employee benefits and a reasonable workload. Managers also provide employees with a generous degree of autonomy in performing their work.
Pros
Generous benefits
Cons
Slow training