Prospera Credit Union Employee Reviews

It truly is a Great Place to Work
Talent Attraction Specialist (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC20 July 2018
Colleagues I work with are accessible, professional, and super friendly. They coordinate pot lucks and check in with me regularly. I am empowered to be innovative in my work and given technology that helps me serve the company effectively. This company truly cares about their members and employees, all the while being active in the community. They really give where they live!
Pros
advancement opportunities
Business Banking
Business Development (Current Employee) –  British Columbia5 June 2018
I can honestly say that working for this company was one of the biggest regrets I have. I was lured away from a great job with the promises of working for an innovative firm who would challenge me and help me in realize my full potential. It all started out very promising. I can even say they delivered on their promise initially. But the promise to allow me to put my family first? Not True. The promise that I can work from 9 to 5? Not true. Huge pressure to respond to emails at 10:00pm. I was expected to carry my phone everywhere.

As far as innovation goes, this company is about 10 years behind where they should be. And in terms of their promised "laser focus" on innovation, that seems to have entailed firing everyone I respect who contributed to the firm and gave this company all they could. Good people have walked (or been ordered) out the door, and this continues to happen. Opinions are no longer welcome, and individuality is frowned upon.

Excitement about the future has been replaced with trepidation and fear.

Accepting a position with this company was a mistake that the competitive salary and benefits no where near makes up for.
Pros
good benefits. Mid range salary
Cons
you will be married to your cell phone
Great team, work/life balance and career advancement opportunities
Management (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC22 May 2018
I have been with Prospera just over a year now and I very much enjoy working here.

What makes Prospera a great place to work are the people and the opportunities to learn and grow.

Sometimes it can be stressful but everyone on my team is very warm, caring and supportive including my manager. Everything we do is to ensure our members are taken care of and that includes our employees.

The other best part is the work life balance and my manager is very supportive of it. She ensures I have I have everything I need to do my job while I maintain a work/life balance. Truly a great boss!!

Prospera is going through growth period creating lots of career opportunities!
Pros
Good compensation package, flexible work arragements, career opportunities
Cons
Best people to work with
Associate (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC30 April 2018
One of the best parts of working at Prospera is the people you get to see every day. My colleagues are always warm, helpful and treat each other with respect. I have never worked in such a great environment and am always happy to come to work.

They seem to be really trying to make some positive changes to ensure our members and employees are always number 1.

My boss is incredibly supportive of my work life balance and always checking in to make sure that I have all the resources and support I need to do my job and also have a life! I couldn't ask for a better boss!

It is the perfect combination of a big, well run company with lots of career opportunities and a small everyone knows your name type of feel.
Pros
People, Career Opporunities, Work life balance
Cons
Sometimes too much administration work
Great focus on members (customers)
Manager (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC29 April 2018
I have been working with Prospera for a few months and I like how everything we do focuses on our members (customers). In other companies I have worked for, we made decisions to please shareholders and it was sometimes at the expense of customers or employees, but here, the members are the shareholders, and the employees are also members (which makes them owners).

My coworkers are great! They're so positive and helpful. And the vice presidents are very visible - we see them all the time. In my last organization, I never saw executives.

Our branches are going through changes but it means good promotional opportunities and also the chance to do some interesting work with the members.
Pros
Great coworkers, social committee, executives are visible
Cons
Short staffed in my area so lots of work to do
Beware sounds to good to be true it is!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Mainland , bc4 March 2018
If you enjoy micro management please apply, if you have no independent thoughts of your own....then apply. Management is only a word you will have no power to make decisions, you justify your existence everyday. Don’t do it.....move on, there are far better places to work, that will value you as an educated, experienced professional.
Very stressful environment, culture of a true credit union has been lost, we are becoming big bank....or in this case HSBC Credit union. The best part is the staff, hardest part now is trying to be positive and show up everyday without having a breakdown.
Pros
Do a lot for community
Cons
Poor leadership at exec and senior leadership level, dictatorship, micromanagement. No empowerment, do as I say and don’t ask questions. So many people have and are thinking of leaving, moral is at an all time low. Branch structure is a joke, it’s coming apart at the seams...... STAY AWAY
Always watch your back with
Wealth Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC1 March 2018
I spent 4 years of my life working for this quaint local credit union in the Penticton Branch. By all accounts I was awesome at my job. A true professional, making lots of money for the company and doing the right thing for the members. Then one day right before my vacation I'm told that my position is no longer required. I can only describe the environment at our branch as toxic and stressful and I'm very happy to say I no longer work there. If you're considering this company - keep looking.
Pros
Nice office furniture
Cons
Terrible management
It was awesome. Then it wasn't.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Okanagan Lake, BC28 February 2018
I had worked for this company for nearly a decade. The Credit Union changed so much in the time I was there, you wouldn't even know you were working in the same place. A ton of changes, and not all of them for the better. I thought I was a person who would embrace change. Being adaptable is and continues to be one of my strengths. However, I found that I started dreading newsletters, regional management and corporate visits. Especially at the highest levels, we would be told one thing and they would do another. This company has a very defined vision, and if they are able to achieve it, the company will be an absolutely fantastic place to do business. But, I think there's such a laser focus on the "Big Picture", and not a lot of thought or consideration for the smaller details or people that will help you achieve it. In my time there, there was so much turnover of staff and management, I spent a lot of time defending the decisions and the direction the company is going. They've lost sight that it's the people who are building relationships and trust. When they go, it sours the opinion of the Credit Union. I wish them nothing but the best. They are capable of greatness.
Pros
Defined Benefit Pension Plan. Good Benefits. Quasi-competitive salary
Cons
Long hours. Sometimes hostile work environment
Good people
Business Banking Administrator (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC11 July 2017
I have worked for Prospera for 15 years. They are a good company to work for. I enjoy the people and the job I do. The pay is pretty good but of course can alway be higher.
Learning Experience
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 July 2016
As a member services representative, my typical day at work was of a traditional teller.
The working environment was well diversified with friendly co-workers and visible management.
I enjoyed every aspect of this organization throughout my tenure.
Pros
friendly management and co-workers, well diversified working environment
prospera
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC19 April 2016
the cutomers are great, the services that prospera offers are better then most places i ve seen whitch made it easy to promote to the customer.
Good Environment, Good team.
Credit Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Union, ON25 November 2015
A typical day at work; collecting monies owed on overdue accounts including Lines of Credit, Loans and NSF Cheques. During a day you would typically go through a list of people owing money and call them to set up payment arrangements. I would also have to call homeowners for insurance payment on homes. I looked after the Bankruptcies and filed the Proofs of Claim. Occasionally I would re write a line of credit into a loan. Interactions with managers re something to do with a debtors account.

Management was knowledgeable and approachable.

The team of employees I worked with all got along very well.

The hardest part of my job was the odd irate debtor, however, I enjoyed the challenge of being able to calm them down and continue a good relationship with them
Pros
Good Team, Good Pay, Good Benefits
Cons
No cons, this was a good job.
Great people
MARKETING (Current Employee) –  BC15 November 2013
A great group of people to work with. The organization has a genuine interest in retaining employees and fostering a great culture.
Pros
great corporate culture, excellent benefits
Cons
poor communication internally
A good place to work.
Collections Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC12 April 2013
Daily work included calling clients on overdue lines of credits, loans, mortgages and late insurance payments on mortgages. Filling out bankruptcy papers and formatting various letters inter company and publicly. The management was very nice personally. Co-workers and I worked well together.
Having collection experience before getting this job helped me to do this job better. Learning the financial end of collections was not hard but a bit different to work with. I enjoyed working with the public and being able to resolve issues in a win win situation for both client and Prospera Credit Union.
Pros
broadened collections experience
Cons
n/a