Prospera Credit Union

Prospera Credit Union Employee Reviews

Canada24 reviews
great teamwork
I enjoyed very much the teamwork with the other staff members.
I also enjoyed the variety of the work which we did, such as cash transactions, handle member issues, assist them in solving their financial problems.
Run fast ship is going down
Was a decent place several years ago,but realignment and now merger has created distrust and chaos. People are so disallusioned, trust is broken, don’t waste your time. Move on there are better opportunities elsewhere
Problems not taken seriously
I worked at Prospera for a few months as a customer service rep/teller. The training was helpful and the job itself was okay. The customers and my coworkers were all great. Unfortunately I was harassed by my manager, which made me very uncomfortable to be at work. I reported the harassment to head office, and they offered to transfer me to a different location. However, they refused to confront or reprimand the manager who was harassing me. I ended up quitting due to this situation, and the manager was not punished and got to continue on at their position.
Pros
Nice customers and coworkers
Cons
Harrasment not taken seriously
Can be a very stressful environment
Hardest part of the job is job security
Does have benefits and pension option

Good working hours for work life balance

You are repeatedly told your voice matters but it really doesn’t
Great people to work with a lot of monthly team builders. We also, did a lot of community building excercises
A typical day was to help assist clients with banking needs. New members, help assist in finding a financial liason for new mortgages or financial planning assistance.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
If someone was over or short we would have to stay behind and help.
Place to learn about financials
Working at Prospera Credit Union was a great place to learn all about financials and how to work in a professional environment. Every day you had the opportunity to learn a new skill and you also had the tools to do so right at your finger tips!
Not recommended
Not a mature organization
Poor management

Lack of proper training
Good place to work, friendly staff, good management and benefits. Learn customer serviced skills, how to be a good team player, manage time efficiently.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Prospera Credit Union?
Strange Old school Credit union culture
Learning are that while this company says they want change and be more progressive they do not want to take the steps to make that happen.
This organization is letting the inmates run the Asylum to the detriment of progress.

The teams are more interested in what the lunch function is to how can we move the business forward.
It truly is a Great Place to Work
Colleagues I work with are accessible, professional, and super friendly. They coordinate pot lucks and check in with me regularly. I am empowered to be innovative in my work and given technology that helps me serve the company effectively. This company truly cares about their members and employees, all the while being active in the community. They really give where they live!
Pros
advancement opportunities
Cons
Big changes but in the right direction. Senior management and CEO amazing to work for. Employee benefits and culture were amazing. good place to start a career.
Business Banking
I can honestly say that working for this company was one of the biggest regrets I have. I was lured away from a great job with the promises of working for an innovative firm who would challenge me and help me in realize my full potential. It all started out very promising. I can even say they delivered on their promise initially. But the promise to allow me to put my family first? Not True. The promise that I can work from 9 to 5? Not true. Huge pressure to respond to emails at 10:00pm. I was expected to carry my phone everywhere.

As far as innovation goes, this company is about 10 years behind where they should be. And in terms of their promised "laser focus" on innovation, that seems to have entailed firing everyone I respect who contributed to the firm and gave this company all they could. Good people have walked (or been ordered) out the door, and this continues to happen. Opinions are no longer welcome, and individuality is frowned upon.

Excitement about the future has been replaced with trepidation and fear.

Accepting a position with this company was a mistake that the competitive salary and benefits no where near makes up for.
Pros
good benefits. Mid range salary
Cons
you will be married to your cell phone
Great team, work/life balance and career advancement opportunities
I have been with Prospera just over a year now and I very much enjoy working here.

What makes Prospera a great place to work are the people and the opportunities to learn and grow.

Sometimes it can be stressful but everyone on my team is very warm, caring and supportive including my manager. Everything we do is to ensure our members are taken care of and that includes our employees.

The other best part is the work life balance and my manager is very supportive of it. She ensures I have I have everything I need to do my job while I maintain a work/life balance. Truly a great boss!!

Prospera is going through growth period creating lots of career opportunities!
Pros
Good compensation package, flexible work arragements, career opportunities
Cons
Best people to work with
One of the best parts of working at Prospera is the people you get to see every day. My colleagues are always warm, helpful and treat each other with respect. I have never worked in such a great environment and am always happy to come to work.

They seem to be really trying to make some positive changes to ensure our members and employees are always number 1.

My boss is incredibly supportive of my work life balance and always checking in to make sure that I have all the resources and support I need to do my job and also have a life! I couldn't ask for a better boss!

It is the perfect combination of a big, well run company with lots of career opportunities and a small everyone knows your name type of feel.
Pros
People, Career Opporunities, Work life balance
Cons
Sometimes too much administration work
Great focus on members (customers)
I have been working with Prospera for a few months and I like how everything we do focuses on our members (customers). In other companies I have worked for, we made decisions to please shareholders and it was sometimes at the expense of customers or employees, but here, the members are the shareholders, and the employees are also members (which makes them owners).

My coworkers are great! They're so positive and helpful. And the vice presidents are very visible - we see them all the time. In my last organization, I never saw executives.

Our branches are going through changes but it means good promotional opportunities and also the chance to do some interesting work with the members.
Pros
Great coworkers, social committee, executives are visible
Cons
Short staffed in my area so lots of work to do
Beware sounds to good to be true it is!
If you enjoy micro management please apply, if you have no independent thoughts of your own....then apply. Management is only a word you will have no power to make decisions, you justify your existence everyday. Don’t do it.....move on, there are far better places to work, that will value you as an educated, experienced professional.
Very stressful environment, culture of a true credit union has been lost, we are becoming big bank....or in this case HSBC Credit union. The best part is the staff, hardest part now is trying to be positive and show up everyday without having a breakdown.
Pros
Do a lot for community
Cons
Poor leadership at exec and senior leadership level, dictatorship, micromanagement. No empowerment, do as I say and don’t ask questions. So many people have and are thinking of leaving, moral is at an all time low. Branch structure is a joke, it’s coming apart at the seams...... STAY AWAY
Always watch your back with
I spent 4 years of my life working for this quaint local credit union in the Penticton Branch. By all accounts I was awesome at my job. A true professional, making lots of money for the company and doing the right thing for the members. Then one day right before my vacation I'm told that my position is no longer required. I can only describe the environment at our branch as toxic and stressful and I'm very happy to say I no longer work there. If you're considering this company - keep looking.
Pros
Nice office furniture
Cons
Terrible management
It was awesome. Then it wasn't.
I had worked for this company for nearly a decade. The Credit Union changed so much in the time I was there, you wouldn't even know you were working in the same place. A ton of changes, and not all of them for the better. I thought I was a person who would embrace change. Being adaptable is and continues to be one of my strengths. However, I found that I started dreading newsletters, regional management and corporate visits. Especially at the highest levels, we would be told one thing and they would do another. This company has a very defined vision, and if they are able to achieve it, the company will be an absolutely fantastic place to do business. But, I think there's such a laser focus on the "Big Picture", and not a lot of thought or consideration for the smaller details or people that will help you achieve it. In my time there, there was so much turnover of staff and management, I spent a lot of time defending the decisions and the direction the company is going. They've lost sight that it's the people who are building relationships and trust. When they go, it sours the opinion of the Credit Union. I wish them nothing but the best. They are capable of greatness.
Pros
Defined Benefit Pension Plan. Good Benefits. Quasi-competitive salary
Cons
Long hours. Sometimes hostile work environment
Good people
I have worked for Prospera for 15 years. They are a good company to work for. I enjoy the people and the job I do. The pay is pretty good but of course can alway be higher.
Learning Experience
As a member services representative, my typical day at work was of a traditional teller.
The working environment was well diversified with friendly co-workers and visible management.

I enjoyed every aspect of this organization throughout my tenure.
Pros
friendly management and co-workers, well diversified working environment
prospera
the cutomers are great, the services that prospera offers are better then most places i ve seen whitch made it easy to promote to the customer.