Propak Systems Ltd.
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Propak Systems Ltd. Employee Reviews

Canada107 reviews
My overall experience there was a positive one. The work is fast paced but that is what's required in a fabrication company. You are required to complete your work on time.
Pros
A good group to work with
Cons
Too long of a drive for me.
Listening to idiots making animal sounds all day in the shop!
QC that cant speak english!!!!’

Unreal expectations

If you like working on your knees all day this ishow they build everything!!!! Offthe FN floor

Not all is bad all the OT your knees can handle!!!

Pay is good

Poor poor management bully tactics from the 1970s

If you dont swallow ya wont last long “ gulp”

Pros
Good pay
Cons
Just a number
I got laid off due to the collapse in oil prices, and covid-19! Was sad to leave, but thanked my Foreman. My nightshift Foreman, was an amazingly understanding guy but also liked his work done right.
No positivity in this work place hr will cut ties with you instead of initiating change they should all management a bunch of self entitled employee who keep a foot firmly on the heads of shop employees
Pros
Shop employees great to work with
Cons
Management promoting friends rather than people with more credentials
Atypical work day required work. What I have learned was to learn. Management was fine. Workplace culture was what ever The hardest part about the job which depends on the individual.
Pros
Bbq
Cons
I dont know
Only apply if you have experience, this is not an entry level company. You probably won’t get a job with Propak without a referral or being part of a clique.
the benefits are really good and a good place to work nice weeks with four days on and then 3 day weekends are nice to have, I would recommend if you have the chance to work there
Nice & friendly working environment;
Encourage to work using new technology;

Learned how to control each step of shop quality control, e.G material, fitting/welding, rt control, ptr, hydro test.
good work environment the supervisors expect to do your best in every job, good coworkers always ready to help and teach. different shift to chose from, 10 hours 4 day shifts
Awesome employee benefit, but poor management position in firing or lay offing people. Basis is not PERFORMANCE but whom you know or how you follow their likes even if its wrong.
Pros
Great employee benefit
Cons
Poor middle management
if you don’t care about quality and standards this is the place for you. Many foreman have never done the job they run, B Welder foreman is a structural welder. Paint Foremen are sheet metal ticketed. Fumes from painting in the shop on nights is horrible, 3 fires and over 20 lost times in 5 years, safety doesn’t leave their offices, you’ll be written up for no earplugs while dangling 20 feet in the air without a harness. They run out ladders, tools, paint, and sand on a weekly basis. There is Zero accountability for management no matter how bad the screw the job over. Layoffs are based on Yes men, if your not one your gone. Check your common sense at the door!
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Upper, Middle, Lower management are useless
It’s a good company, I’ve worked there 3 times and never left on bad terms. The management are focused on quality and production in a safe and effective manner
- Outdated equipment.

- Not enough tools in the tool crib.

- Gang box system used for tools, but only 1 person has a key for each box. Don't have a key and the guy who does didn't show up, or is on holidays? No tools for you!

- HR dept. is literally and completely useless. They sometimes don't call back for over a week no matter how important your issue is. They are also in a different building so you can't just walk to their office without being gone for an extended period of time. Makes it hard to bring up issues about your foreman since they will want to know where you went, or are going. But don't bother, because HR don't care about your problems anyways.

- Safety dept. is HILARIOUSLY incompetent. They actually thought a chipping hammer was a modified hammer turned into a weapon, and passed around pictures of it... Not kidding. We had a whole meeting and everything. This is only one instance of their incompetence.

- Any employee working there should expect to do their foreman's job for them at any given moment.

- Management runs the shop like its the year 1937.

- Flooding in the shop to the point where your welding cables are completely submerged is perfectly fine, but if you don't cover them with the provided mats then they become the most dangerous things in the world according to the safety dept.

- Expect to trip over the cable mats regularly.

- No one knows the actual requirements for having to wear a harness because safety is well... see point number 5 again.

- It often takes WEEKS to get simple materials such as commonly used studs and
 - more...
Most co workers are great to work with but management is very toxic. If the main boss didn't like you then you get treated poorly. They have no communication to the guys working on the floor.
If anything goes wrong the safety team will go out of there way to blame the worker.
I worked there as a contract employee senior and lead process engineer.
Our projects were in heavy oil SAGD central processing facilities.

Very interesting projects they are.
Management makes a lot of scheduling mistakes and try to cover up delays. Putting projects on critical paths. Could be a good place to learn for young engineers, but would not recommend for someone who has levels of expertise in project management.
Propak is a very good company to work for. The owners are down to earth, and very respectful to their employees. I have all positive experience with the company. Fast paced and lot to learn.
Very busy and when it slows down layoff come hard, but they pay well while you are busy. Had to really keep up inch count or you would hear about it, but thats how most b shops are these days
I have been in the industry for many years, worked at Propak for 5 years as an employee (Senior Buyer) and then back many times for short term or contract work. I am not sure of the current corporate structure but it was privately owned by a couple mavens in the industry when I started ('Entrepreneur of the Year' type of mavens) ~ they had a successful business model and always had work - very aggressive sales group.

My work habits and methods have evolved with the industry & I can work on my own with minimal orientation or assistance. I did feel a bit sorry for newbies & joked that a "Sink or Swim" method was used, the last I was there it was getting better in that regard as the workforce and company grew.

I liked that initiative was encouraged and rewarded, if it was successful - you were a hero. If it wasn't - you were an 'example' for a long time. It was up to you how you dealt with either outcome.

Management was approachable and easy to talk to, listened to your ideas and were pretty quick with decisions on whether or not they could entertain or if it had to go back to the drawing board.

I still have an affection for the look and feel of Stainless Steel and the other high nickel alloys, and can look at a piece of pipe and know the size (and sometime the schedule!)... good times. It was always exciting when a new job was booked into the schedule ~ I would try and sneak a peak at the preliminary drawings to see if there was something new or unusual.

I liked working there and miss it ~ I moved to BC a couple years ago and there is really nothing
 - more...
Propak paid half as compared to market
Micro management culture

Very manual work method

Work place culture is good

No application of hard work

Always argument for extra hours
The culture at Propak is very friendly. The employees were all easy-going and nice people. They made slow days go by fast and they were very helpful when it got busy.