Pronghorn Controls Ltd Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work, treated employees like garbage.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 January 2019
I worked with pronghorn a few years ago and we were required to travel over 100km to work each day with no travel pay. This is illegal but they got away with it because when the economy dips people will accept whatever they can get. In essence pronghorn is a bottom feeder of the industry which only cares about the profit for management and not the well being of their employees
Pros
Zero
fun place
Branch Service Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 January 2019
I really enjoyed working with everyone. I was able to be myself. The reason for leaving was due to me moving from Calgary, AB to Chilliwack, BC to be back with my family
Pros
management were great people
Cons
had to move
Very glad I left.
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Cenovus22 August 2018
When times are good it's a okay place to work if you don't mind being the lowest paid trade onsite. But when times get a bit rough look out. Say good bye to RRSP matching, travel pay, and wage cuts even if it's a bid job. The travel was a huge down fall, 8-10hrs in a crammed suburban. After I decided to better myself I was shocked at how much better things got. People weren't worried about pay cuts every day, we weren't the lowest paid on site, rrsp, pension and hour bank benefits were a thing, and provided flights was great instead of hi way.
Pros
PPE allowance
Cons
No rrsps, low rate, no flights or travel allowance, have to pay for benifits.
Good Company
Instrumentation Technician (Former Employee) –  Athabasca, AB11 June 2018
Good Guys to work with wages competitive hours of work good stayed busy not to many offices left mostly in southern Alberta I believe. my boss was a hard man to get along with
Dependent on where you work in the company.
Industrial Electrical Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Drumheller, AB9 May 2018
I've been lucky enough to be in a maintenance branch for my apprenticeship, the work's been fairly steady, the pay's been decent even through the recession and my co-workers and manager have been a pleasure to work with. That being said, when working out of town or on projects up north it's typically a disorganized, rushed environment with little opportunity to learn. Finding the right niche in the company isn't difficult, and when you do; you look forward to going to work.
Realized how bad it was once I went somewhere else.
Journeyman electrician (Former Employee) –  Camrose14 April 2018
Say they practise safety but chastise anyone who has been hurt and hide many things. CEO pretends to care and acts like he knows your name but they put your name on your coveralls so that he can call you by name. Have been at a few companies since who truly care about safety of employees and installing a culture of safety, It is completely different from what I experienced at pronghorn. They promote people to safety positions that are unfit for the job as well as make employee take any hit they can financially as to keep too many unqualified people in high paying positions in which they don’t belong.
Pros
Some good co workers
Cons
Bad ceo bad safety
Was once a great company to work for
Red Seal Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Nisku, AB5 February 2018
Pronghorn Controls was once a great company to work for until the oil slump in our current economy. They continually send the cuts down to the workers and you are required to frequently sit.
School yard antics
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB24 January 2018
If you enjoy watching inept people be rewarded and management turn a blind eye to workplace harassment then this is a place for you. School yard politics and sand box favortism is rampant. Worst experience in my career. It's shocking to experience school yard bullying as an adult and when brought up to management the response was tepid and impotent. The pay was good but it didn't offset the experience.
Pros
Pay was on time
Cons
Work environment and incompetent people running the show.
Pronghorn Employment Review
Payroll (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 January 2018
Mgmnt focused on Safety and related accolades in industry. Project oriented organization with a lot of ups and downs in headcount based on what project is on the go. Preferential treatment if you are a buddy or related, regardless of skillset. Learned alot while there. It was great when busy and not so great once the downward economy started in 2015. Values and culture changed after that.
Pros
Great on the way up
Cons
Not so great on the way down
Safety conscious
Apprentice Electrician (Current Employee) –  Camrose, AB4 June 2017
Very safety concerns devious company, puts the safety of employees first above all else, production and efficiency close behind. Work can take you around the province l.

Want to know more about Pronghorn Controls Ltd?

Ask a question
all good on the surface
Apprentice Electrician (Current Employee) –  Wood Buffalo, AB24 August 2015
Pronghorn just looks for numbers, a number of guys to get a job done. they don't care about a culture of "safety" that they talk about every day. I highly recommend going anywhere other than this boys club.
not good
Instrument Tech/Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB4 August 2015
Will not return. Management is poor and doesn't listen to employees. focused on projects not day to day business. Lost focus on small providers and only wanted large income.
Safety is important
Corporate Reception (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 February 2015
Safety is a company culture at Pronghorn, and working in an atmosphere where people were very conscious of hazardous situations in the workplace, made me more competent not only in the workplace, but at home also.

Some safety concerns included: working alone, vehicle competency (doing a walk around prior to driving) right to ergonomics of the workspace.
Pronghorn Review
1st Year Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 August 2012
I feel that this company could benefit more by allowing the lower level apprentices get involved with the particular aspects of their trade. With the advancements in the school studies, not having the proper knowledge and experience to attend the classes properly will result in failure upon the apprentice.

I sincerely believe that the wage scale also needs to be advanced to compensate based on experience and not just current apprenticeship level.
Pros
decent shifts, some communication
Cons
lack of responsibilty for management
I am very happy to have moved on to where I am appreciated for my experience and hard work.
Accounts Payable Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 May 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Pronghorn Controls at the beginning. But after certain Management changes in the accounting area, work became very stressful and not a pleasant environment to work in.
Pros
small bonus
Cons
long hours, work load not divided fairly