Progressive Housing Society

Progressive Housing Society Employee Reviews

Canada13 reviews

Great People

Great people to work with. Culture is very relaxed and most of the employees are dedicated to supporting and helping others. I would highly recommend this organization to others

Pros

Flex days

Cons

Clients can be difficult to work with

Pay is better than other support work jobs I've had.Managers were fantastic. Job can be stressful- however love the flexibility of the hours, the collaboration with coworkers, etc.

Insights into Progressive Housing Society

Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Productive, great experience, connecting with clients

Supportive staff and management. Amazing opportunity to network with different medical professionals. Great paid trainings and some over time. Great company over all

Pros

Paid training and certifications

Cons

No Benefits for casual unless reached certain amount of hours.

Productive and fun place to work

I loved working at PHS. The work environment is healthy. Colleagues are respect and genuinely care about you and their work. It’s amazing. Best place ever to work.

Pros

Great work cultures

Cons

Great managers, responsive and respectful & adequate pay

Great opportunity and job culture! Managers are very responsive and respectful. They understand when life happens. They are flexible and really care about their clients!

Fun place to work with good management

Great peers, hands off management, pay is decent, company is very flexible. Shelter worker, supervise and interact with guests. Great food from whole foods. Never have to bring food to work.

Pros

Great co workers, get to know the guests, invaluable experience

Best shelter work and culture so far in my career

Management is great as well as staff. Since I joined the front line field I constantly came across staff that we in it for the paycheck only but this place has helped me realize there are so many people in this field who care and are in it for the right reasons. People who stay at the shelter/marginal housing adopt the culture quickly as they are shown empathy and understanding from others.

Pros

Benefits Pension Union

Left due to toxic workplace

The pay is really good but advancement is quite limited, unfortunately. I agree as one rater stated management are against unions even though the workplace is unionized. It is low barrier work, so you leave the clients alone, but you do need to check up on them at least once every 24 hrs to make they don't overdose. I left because most of the staff are there for the money not for the clients. It was toxic. I rather take a pay cut and work in a team where colleagues do care about the persons they serve.

Pros

The clients and above livable wages

Cons

Co-workers, not enough support for clients, clients smoking indoors

Casual shift

I applied as a casual community support worker and I never got called for shifts. The company pays good but they are anti-union, so you gotta be careful. If you can actually get a permanent position with them then it is a good gig until you find something better. Nonetheless, the shelter and supporting housing they provide is very low barrier and they do enable their clients. You as a worker come last.

Pros

Pay rate

No training, unsafe

I was casual staff and didn’t like it, wasn’t trained well and was told it was my fault. I worked at the shelter and there was no support for staff. Very unsafe

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Progressive Housing Society?

Productive workplace

A place where you incorporate work with a whole lot of empathy. Also you learn the art of assertiveness and boldness. I recommend working with progressive.

Ok place to wirk

Progressive Housing was a good place e to work for the most part. Job was pretty stressful but the other employees were great to work with. Not a lot of room for advancement however as manager roles are very limited

Awesome

The work environment was friendly and team base. Manager will work with you and help you achieved your goal. The challenges is you need to work with the ministry and your clients are coming with a lot of baggages.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Progressive Housing Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement