Pro Hockey Life Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Pro Shop specialist and Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON28 January 2019
Good place to work as a part time employee. Accomodate to workload at school well and are easy going. Provide a good work culture in the stores. Pay could be better considering we're doing more challenging work than the average minimum wage employee.
Wonderful and Flexible for students!
Retail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 January 2019
My typical day at work consists of working with costumers and helping them cash out. Cleaning and organization. The workplace is a fun and welcoming environment including the management. I have learned multiple things. The hardest part of the job is only when you are the only cashier and you experience a long line. Most enjoyable part of my job is definitely the stress free environment.
Shift manager
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON24 January 2019
Was fired a few weeks after opening because I walked through 3/4 finished store without “permission” and nepotistic management quietly wanted a difference appearance. Whatever that means.. was treated unfairly from higher date (paid less then co workers). Very poor management and discriminatory for reasons you can imagine.. really a blessing went on to more
money and better work environment. About the same as modern day Mcdonads job
Pros
Product education
Cons
Bullocks management & bigotry
fun workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 January 2019
I loved going to work everyday the management and other coworkers were fun to work with. I learned a lot in the terms of working in retail and communicating with people in hard situations.
Pros
discounts
Good work environment
Goalie Sales (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS12 December 2018
Pro Hockey Life gave me plenty of skills to use for outside of working as well in the job site. I've honestly enjoyed working there with my Co-workers but found management was very poor, as I wasn't given proper break times and the communication wasn't there. That being said I was given a lot of knowledge to do my job there. The thing I enjoyed most was seeing smiles on customers faces after I was able to provide them with all the information they needed for finding the proper gear that would be best for their level they play but also finding the best prices as well.
Pros
Was given a lot of hours
Cons
Getting only 30 min break times when i worked 8+ hours at a time
Good place for sales experience as first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON3 November 2018
Staff and culture was great as I was working with a bunch of hockey guys. Good training and they don't leave their employees out to dry. Good top management but assistant manager lacked,
Pros
Discount, Sales Experience
Cons
Assistant managers lack of business knowledge
Fun, and enjoyable
Sales Representative/Pro-shop Technician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 October 2018
You could not ask for a better job as a young, hockey player working part time.

Staff is friendly, hours are flexible, and work is fun.

Only complaint is that management was difficult to work with. Having multiple managers is fine, but the attitude of the building changes with each manager. Some are fun and hardworking, some are brutal and lazy.

If management was consistent and offered a fun and hardworking attitude, I know employees and customers would enjoy their experience more.
Pros
Fun, flexible, and great culture
Cons
management is hit and miss
Fun work environment
Protective, Skates and Sticks Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 October 2018
work is very perdictable at PHL, i knew lots before working there since i have played hockey my entire life it was like second nature selling the equipment that i still often wear to play.

Our management is great, we let go of one manager who was not completing their duties and now our store is smooth as ever.

the cuture in the workplace is fabulous as we all play hockey together outside of work on multiple teams.

the hardest part of the job is trying to explain the importance of proper fitting equipment to some parents because most of them dont care/ or want to listen to it.

the most enjoyable part of my job is helping first time hockey parents and kids navigate themselves around the sport giving them the do's and dont's etc.
Pros
discount!
Cons
customers are mean when warranty is up on $300 sticks !
Great Workplace
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 September 2018
Great Workplace.
Supportive Team.
Good Salary.
Periodic Meetings with the Manager discussing what we gained and what we need to achieve .
Working as a team helped to learn a lot.
Hard Workers aren't valued
Acting Assistant Manager E-Commerce (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON19 August 2018
Honest hard workers aren't valued. They don't; understand at all when a person is going out of their way to help the company and rather fire you and lose your references. It a discriminatory company
Pros
Cons
Managers are under educated have mentality of a highschool student.
Great Place
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Pro Hockey Life13 July 2018
Great place to work! Great staff and great management. I have a lot of fun working here and it there is plenty of room for advancement if you are willing to relocate.
Excellent Workplace
Pro Shop Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 July 2018
Very easy and understanding management to work under and the people who work at this location all share a common interest which is hockey. This makes the workplace a very enjoyable and inviting area which would be my favourite thing about this job.
Pros
Great management, good employees
Cons
no paid breaks, can be stressful during busy times
Can be fun environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  South Keys, ON25 June 2018
Can be a fun environment to be around but poorly managed. The co-workers were great and I am still friends with them, but the managers were highly unorganized.
Strong work culture, little career opportunity
Goalie Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 June 2018
Working as a sales associate, the work Culture at Pro Hockey Life is great. The management is friendly and open to employee concerns and the workplace builds off of constructive criticism.

However, much like many other retail jobs, Pro Hockey Life offers few opportunities for career advancement, and the pay scale is rather limited.
Pros
Strong work culture
Cons
Limited room for advancement
Fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON15 April 2018
A typical work day can always be fun as you get very close with other workers which makes it fun to work with anyone. Fun to get to connect with customers.
Friendly work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 April 2018
Lots of very nice people that were organized and fun to work with. There was always assistance when needed help and there was a manager on duty at all time to keep everything organized.
It was a frustrating place to work.
Proshop Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 April 2018
The company is poorly run and does not care about it's employees. The company is only concerned about sales and numbers, that is fine for the owners but as an employee it slowly makes you resent your management.
There is no room to advance or excel during employment.
The work place is toxic. I had a large number of people from our customer base start coming in to see me specifically. Even after this obvious showing of my quality of work I was constantly questioned and hassled by my boss. The actual work involved in the job was enjoyable and it was based around one of my hobbies. It was very tough to enjoy though because of the lack on competence of my co workers, the pressure applied by management and the lack of appropriate compensation.
Pros
discounts
Cons
low pay
Fun work environment.
Protective Gear/Stick Salesman (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS28 March 2018
PHL is a very fun place to work, with great co-workers, and pretty good management. The staff benefits are excellent, but some days can be long with very few customers.
Great workplace with a fun job but not enough hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON22 March 2018
Unfortunately there are just not enough hours in the department I work in to satisfy my needs. The people there are great and the job is very well worth the time.
Overall good place to work, good store subculture.
PRO SHOP SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 March 2018
The stores are a good environment most employee's develop a good subculture and become friends.. The overall corporate mentality is a bit skewed. They're not friendly and rarely communicate with lower level employees. The salary is as low as possible and benefits are to come by. HR is only contacted through email. They say they promote from the ground up but it is super hard to advance within the organization. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the people working there or the environment of the work. Working in the hockey industry is great.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pro Hockey Life. Our community is ready to answer.