Pro Hockey Life

Pro Hockey Life Employee Reviews

Canada99 reviews
Fun place to work
If you love hockey and learning about the developments in equipment - then this is the place for you. Great place to start as your first job. Hours are flexible and people are awesome
Pros
Fun
Cons
Weekends
Workplace
It is a complicated workplace. They don't do commission but they want you to make constant sales and track them as though you earned commission. It can be a fun place at times but there are other times when they are serious and stern about the workplace.
Productive and enjoyable
Everyone is extremely helpful and enjoyable to work with. Managers are flexible and approachable. There are lots of different things that you can do if the day is slow and not as busy.
Team Environment
The characteristics of a team environment translate into the pro hockey life job experience as everyone is friendly, understanding and wants the best for those around them.
Terribly managed company
Terrible General manager. Doesn't care about the employees and you're lucky if you get 5-8 hours a week of work. If you get a job here chances are you won't be making money because the managers rather save the hours so they get a nicer bonus at the end of the year. Also they hire way to many staff so their may be weeks you won't even get shifts.
Pros
Great assistant managers, Great employee culture, Easy work, Fun work atmosphere
Cons
General manager, Hours
Fun experience so far!
Having a team to work with that’s most of the time very positive helps out a lot. Everyone who works here is very keen on helping each other succeed and obviously working in retail, that’s the most important thing you could strive to have. The management and employees altogether have so far been very positive and extremely welcoming here at Pro Hockey Life.
Poor Company Environment
PHL is great if you are part time and love hockey. Otherwise it is a corporate retail company run by monkeys. One big boys club so room for advancement is nil.
it is a fun place
If you enjoy the sport of hockey and are good with people, this is the place you want to work, the management and staff are all very chill, and schedule around school or sports
Decent job to have
It was an okay job. I did not know much about hockey when I applied. I’ve learned a little bit while I was there. For people who know about hockey this is a great job for you.
Competitive high end Hockey based sales environment
Pro Hockey Life is my current employer. It represents the intermediate to high end hockey players in the area. By far the most customer loyalty and regulars that I have seen in my career. Employees enjoy the environment because it's hard not to enjoy hockey as your daily focus if you are an enthusiast. Operational time could be divided up better between management and office time is hard to come across to get admin work done in a timely fashion. PHL represents a great customer service experience for the employee, but a very challenging admin and operational focus/environment.
Fun, low-drive workplace
It is a retail work experience. Comparing to other places of employment, there isn't much in the way of benefit or detriment, unless maybe if you are very close to the "hockey world".

Management is mostly fair and is very willing to work with you on your schedule (part-time), and is remarkably flexible. Expectations are relatively low, as it is a low-drive workplace, but it can be busy during key times of the year, as it would be expected (again, this is a retail job. You can imagine which days I'm talking about).

The staff generally fall into 3 categories: One is "Lifers", the other is people who stay on just for the discount. Everyone else falls somewhere in between, where the work ethic doesn't quite match up with their desire for more hours. The interactions between staff can sometimes remind me a bit of highschool drama, but there is a lot available to make friends with people even outside work. Most notably is the hockey team and golf tournaments that the store organizes, which offer fun and (generally) healthy ways to keep up with fellow staff.

Overall, this place is a fantastic place to work, and expect about as much back as you put into it.
Fun place to work
All around good place to work as everyone who works there and comes into the store you have mutual interest with. The management is friendly and super chill to be around
Great people, wonderful atmosphere, cool products!
A chance to do what you love... work in a hockey store. I was treated fairly and enjoyed working there. I did bring an extreme amount of hockey experience but was new to retail, training was very good! Allowed to do things my own style and was successful in my position. The management was flexible as it was a second job for me. I enjoyed working there and made some good friends.
Overall working at PHL
Love working there
Management was great

always willing to go above and beyond for customers and staff members

Everyday is a blast with hard working associates.
Seems great at first, but then you realize the culture is toxic. No communication, hoarding of information and general mistreatment of staff.
I spent my time there waiting on the “Advancement” I was promised when I first started and it never happened. Not part of GM’s “boyz” club, so passed over for promotion in favour of buddies, never in the loop as to the direction of the store. Told “You don’t like it, there’s the door. I’m not gonna stop you” Like High School, cliques everywhere. Moody, hungover Supervisors are common.
Very clique like place to work
Your either liked by the “ clique “ or your not!!! If not then you will be not included in activities or even invited!!!!
Stay away from working here,

The ad on sales expectations are unrealistic and if you don’t hit your targets you get coached or written up!!!
Pros
Hockey environment
Cons
Slave labour, management has favourites, clique like environment
A Good Entry Level Sales Job
It was a good job for anyone starting out in sales. Be ready for a ton of walking and constant customer interaction though. The pay is not competitive especially for the amount of product that you will have to memorize details about and the value of the products you will sell. As well no commission. However, if you enjoy hockey the atmosphere is great, everyone who works and shops there loves the game and makes it a fun place to work.
Pros
Good Atmosphere
Cons
Low pay, No commission, very little room to grow within company
Good atmosphere
Management was sometimes rough. Fun place to work though. Good atmosphere - if you love hockey, this is a good place to work. Cashier is fun but can be stressful when busy
Pros
Fun staff
Cons
Cliquey staff, short, unpaid lunches, no breaks. Only 30 mins off in an 8.5 hour shift
Productive and Fun Workplace
A professional company that made its employees comfortable and excited about coming to work. Great group of employees who are knowledgable and welcome new employees with open arms.
Easy Going
Customer service, lots of communication between customers and co-workers. Sometimes having to fit 4 to 5 customers at a time, not always able to give the full experience of Pro Hockey Life.

Not a lot of hours
Pros
involves hockey
Cons
low hours
Fun and young work place
Fun and young staff. Good workplace with well defined goals for end of day sales targets. No commission. Long periods of down time during the off season for hockey.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pro Hockey Life. Our community is ready to answer.