Princess Auto Employee Reviews

productive and fun place to work
Team Leader Trainee (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC14 January 2019
Team members and managment always work with you to ensure you have all the tools you need to do the job always something new coming and always have team meeting to find out previous days results
Pros
bonus every 3 mnths
Cons
na
Cant trust store manager and people at head office
Sales team (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC30 December 2018
Did everything I can to make a fun place to work was told one thing from management and behind my back was talk about to other staff from management Head office and store leaders stabs you in the back
Pros
People you work with
Cons
Never trust upper management or store manager
Good Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB27 December 2018
Ok place to work the only negative thing i can say is that i was made to feel like i had to talk to and be friends with the other employees ( i work to make money not to make friends ) and to make Princess Auto the center of my life. The managers were really approachable and easy to talk to. A little overly concerned with how your doing everyday but i could deal with that.

Other then that if you want to go go go your whole shift then this is the place for you, I walked and average of 9km every 8 hours shift and i learned something new every day.
Pros
discount
Cons
even if someone else messed up in "your" aisle you have to take the blame
Its alright
Night Replenishment team (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 December 2018
Job is fine. Benefits are great they also have profit sharing which is nice. Managers really play favorites though and I have been almost fired for "walking to slow" and that "my attitude needs to change" because I was having a rough week and didn't look thrilled to be at work.
Really Bad management and Supervisors at night
NRT (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS5 December 2018
You'll get paid $13 for working hard overnight while your supervisors get the credit for your hardwork.
Worst part of that is the supervisors will sneak out just to smoke while you're working.
useless to complain to store manager cause they'll never listen.
This is a dead end job.

P.S

Be very careful working with this supervisors specially at night shift, they can mess up your employment record, they talk bs behind your back if they don't like you.

Dartmouth #17
Pros
Awesome working with the employees
Cons
Supervisor's the worst backstabber ever
Sales Team Member (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON3 December 2018
Flexible schedule, health benefits and provides safety shoes. Discount card is very dangerous. You want to spend more than you earn. Management is great, potential of growth is there if you want to make Princess Auto your career.
Pros
Discount card
Cons
non
ASSISTANT TEAM LEADER (Current Employee) –  Leader, On2 December 2018
Been with Princess for over 8 years and have enjoyed every minute of it. I like going to work. I have been given many opportunities and have learned so much in just a few years. Their compensation is to me, more than fair with pretty good job security.
Pros
Fun work environment
Great place to work on merchandising.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SK30 November 2018
WIth the changing needs of the customer in mind, they change their stock to best serve. Customers are helped in many of the departments by some very competent staff.
Favortism to much with team leaders and team members
Sales Associate and Cashier and tlt (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 November 2018
The team members run the building while the team leaders are hiding in the office and joking around while the team members are running around helping lazy team leaders never seen a place that has meetings every week don't bother asking the team leaders to get your back they never respond to your pages when they do it's too late and to much with some team members with Favortism to the team leaders and the air quality is dusty and dirty who knows when there vents were cleaned with the pipes if you look up in the vent you can see all the dust and dirt
Cons
Worst place i have ever worked at
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 November 2018
Where do I start?
This place is a literal joke.
Work your a** off and get no recognition, leadership has their favourites the laziest people get rewarded and get promotions and the ones that work hard just get sh** on.
There is alot of bullying and work place harassment, be prepared to get yelled at ALOT.
I was getting minimum wage and doing the work of literally 5 people.
There are way better jobs out there that pay better and treat you better it's not worth it trust me.
Very Toxic work environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC24 November 2018
Coworkers are great, Management are bullies and take advantage of staff every chance they get. They are quite clear that you are there to do their bidding and it does not mater what you think. That is what they call a team environment. It is not a difficult job, but the bullying makes it hard.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Management does not care about staff
Could be worse
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON12 November 2018
I've worked at worse places in my life but, Princess Auto is not as great a place to work as they like to think they are.

Actually, Princess Auto in the TORONTO AREA is not that great. Other stores, in other areas, seem to have happier workers (from what I've personally seen but, maybe not, based on reviews on here), so maybe that means their leadership isn't as bad, or the odd decisions by the home office don't bother them as much. I don't know.

Personally, I think the company was better back when the owner had more of a hand in things. These days, Princess Auto is very 'American' in the way they run things...profits matter more than people. The only constant in Princess Auto is 'change'. They change your shifts; they change your duties...nothing seems to last very long before it gets changed again.

'Advancement' might as well not even exist anymore, since they have slashed the number of Leaders in their stores. If you want anything higher than a Supervisor...good luck.

Again, I've worked at worse places in my life but, if someone were to ask me if Princess Auto was a "good place to work", I would have to answer "no". It fails on too many levels.

Best part of working there: my co-workers

Worst part of working there: the constant changes to shifts, and duties
Pros
Benefits after three months (for full-time workers); profit sharing after six months (half share), full share after a year.
Cons
You get jerked around a lot by management. They are constantly changing the way things operate, in an effort to justify their paycheques.
lots of room to grow with company
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 November 2018
versatile workplace many things too offer. Good work environment. Always room for advancement. Paid benefits as well as PCT paid 40 hours. Was happy with the company but I need a change
Pros
paid benefits
Cons
shift work
good and bad
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 November 2018
some of the managers were fantastic and some not so much. money really is their bottom line and they dont care if your sick or hurt always want you to work anyway
Fun place to work
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 November 2018
Working here was a very interesting opportunity, there were lots of chances to move up and great benefit packages, and they genuinely treated their staff well.
Pros
Good discounts
Cons
Lots of stock
Night Crew (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON6 November 2018
Everyone is friendly and management is great I worked the night shift so I didn’t see much of the day team but I helped build the St. Catharines store and it was great it’s a great company with great benefits and a good structure was a great job right out of high school
good benefits terrible management
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS18 October 2018
i worked there for over 4 years and it was fantastic for the first little bit but then there was a shift in management and it went down hill from there. you are not respected you are constantly yelled at for not doing things right or if it is not done the way that they wanted it done. the managers do not understand that the employees get busy so that not all task get done on time because customers come first, well at least that is what we thought when in fact i personally myself have been told to stop talking to a customer and stock shelves. also certain mangers are sexist if they see a young girl working with a customer talking about something that is not considered girly like a air compressor we are told to get on cash and to get a man to help the customer. everyone is cranky and immature and there is a lot of drama. there are some employees that are fantastic but the management is just terrible.
benefits
Cons
management
Bad upper management
Employee (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS7 October 2018
I worked hard but the manager and his favourite assistant manager have ruined the place. The store has things thrown everywhere. It is not safe for customers or employees. Apparently it was a fun place to work a long time ago and they paid big profit share money. Now it is unrealistic goals with no team to make it happen. Some team members do nothing while other ones make themselves sick trying to take up the slack. Not as advertised! The upper management don’t care about you even if the paperwork says so. They don’t listen when there are problems and blame the messenger. Horrible and petty management with revenge if you go higher up with an issue. Not worth it. Lots of staff fleeing this store right now because they’re fed up.
Pros
Non management staff are good people in an impossible situation. They care but can’t fix things.
Cons
Bad management. Unsafe workplace.
Awful leadership, Money driven company.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 October 2018
When I first got hired I thought this was a great place to work, and for awhile it was. As time went on things started going downhill (as apparently it was already going downhill from even before I started) managers started picking favourites, the store became money driven. Team members were constantly leaving. I enjoyed my job title I enjoyed it all. What I didn't enjoy was suddenly I had a target on my back. Everything I did even if it was a mistake I was punished for (literally) but, when I did something good it wasn't even acknowledged. Ive been called names by the LEADERSHIP. The LEADERSHIP talks badly about their team member to other TEAM MEMBERS. There are people that are actually doing something wrong yet you're watching my every move. They really disrespect and take advantage of their employees.
Pros
Profit Share
Cons
Awful management
You learned a lot but not a lot of room for advancements
Customer Service/Sales (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON2 October 2018
Co-workers are nice to work with, always something to do and learn. Could never quite figure out the management as they were always changing their minds, you'd get into trouble for really petty things, always being watched, not allowed to talk to your co-workers in between work, and even get into trouble for helping clients coming in for help who could be potentially spending hundreds of dollars even in the thousands but would get into trouble for helping/talking with them for "too long". All of these factors really lowered the moral of the team, customers would even comment at why does everyone have a gloomy face? Not the type of vibe you want to give off to people potentially spending money at your store. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping clients find what they need or where to find it if it wasn't in stock and interacting/helping your fellow sales/cashier staff
Pros
There used to be schedule flexibility, and some free food
Cons
Not a lot of work life balance, salary should be a lot higher for everything that we did, no real room for advancement unless you move out west

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Princess Auto. Our community is ready to answer.