Princess Auto Employee Reviews

good benefits terrible management
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS18 October 2018
i worked there for over 4 years and it was fantastic for the first little bit but then there was a shift in management and it went down hill from there. you are not respected you are constantly yelled at for not doing things right or if it is not done the way that they wanted it done. the managers do not understand that the employees get busy so that not all task get done on time because customers come first, well at least that is what we thought when in fact i personally myself have been told to stop talking to a customer and stock shelves. also certain mangers are sexist if they see a young girl working with a customer talking about something that is not considered girly like a air compressor we are told to get on cash and to get a man to help the customer. everyone is cranky and immature and there is a lot of drama. there are some employees that are fantastic but the management is just terrible.
benefits
Cons
management
Bad upper management
Employee (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS7 October 2018
I worked hard but the manager and his favourite assistant manager have ruined the place. The store has things thrown everywhere. It is not safe for customers or employees. Apparently it was a fun place to work a long time ago and they paid big profit share money. Now it is unrealistic goals with no team to make it happen. Some team members do nothing while other ones make themselves sick trying to take up the slack. Not as advertised! The upper management don’t care about you even if the paperwork says so. They don’t listen when there are problems and blame the messenger. Horrible and petty management with revenge if you go higher up with an issue. Not worth it. Lots of staff fleeing this store right now because they’re fed up.
Pros
Non management staff are good people in an impossible situation. They care but can’t fix things.
Cons
Bad management. Unsafe workplace.
Awful leadership, Money driven company.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 October 2018
When I first got hired I thought this was a great place to work, and for awhile it was. As time went on things started going downhill (as apparently it was already going downhill from even before I started) managers started picking favourites, the store became money driven. Team members were constantly leaving. I enjoyed my job title I enjoyed it all. What I didn't enjoy was suddenly I had a target on my back. Everything I did even if it was a mistake I was punished for (literally) but, when I did something good it wasn't even acknowledged. Ive been called names by the LEADERSHIP. The LEADERSHIP talks badly about their team member to other TEAM MEMBERS. There are people that are actually doing something wrong yet you're watching my every move. They really disrespect and take advantage of their employees.
Pros
Profit Share
Cons
Awful management
Usual pitfalls of retail at Princess Auto
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB29 September 2018
Princess Auto is another company that began with good intentions/culture/values, strong work ethic, good core values, and at one time treated its staff with fair wages and good benefits. PA has been a successful company, but unfortunately their core focus has turned to profit, and their culture and values suffer because of it. On the store level, the turnover rate is high because the wages are low and the benefits that the company boasts are only attainable once you get a fulltime position--and they now only hire staff on part time contracts, like many other retailers. The usual mountain of bureaucratic nonsense is alive and well at PA. Employees who didn't do their fair share of work were never reprimanded. Employees who worked hard were passed by for promotion or demoted. The store leader didn't seem to interact much with the floor staff. Most of the floor leaders spent their days hiding out in the cash office. There is little motivation for staff at PA other than a paycheck..and since their hourly rate is so low, most people would be better off somewhere else.
Pros
Some good staff members, good benefits if you're lucky enough to qualify
Cons
Low pay, long wait times for fulltime, unorganized management, little incentive, little advancement, alot of poorly motivated staff, high turnover
Awesome Staff!
Cashier, and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK5 September 2018
I felt respected by all the team leaders and team members. Great atmosphere. I once was disrespected by a customer. The leaders assured me that I would not have to deal with that customer anymore if there were any future instances. I respect their company.
Corporate Sociopath
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC5 September 2018
The store manager in Langley doesnt care about his employees and doesnt abide by the same amazing values as the company has. He plays employees against eachother and makes very lude unprofessional remarks
Floor sales and cashier
Cashier, Floor sales/stock team member/receiver (Former Employee) –  London, ON31 August 2018
The London location is mixed with decent hard working people that actially do the jobs they are paid for and they know the products. The rest are lazy, gossup spreaders, liars and theives. These lazy ones get paid to chit chat all day and waste the day away either outside smoking, hiding in the bathroom, taking all day to put away a cart of stock. Some in leadership shouldnt be as they dont do anything but stand around and are never available when you need them for skims, overrides or complaints. High turn rate. Poor leadership and no one gets treated fairly unless youve been there 5+years and know each other
Pros
better off being unemployed
Cons
NO overtime if your past shift time, disorganized management
Fun workplace, well paced environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC26 August 2018
Nice place to work. None of the tasks are too difficult, but there's a level of customer service that needs to be met. The customer comes first and you always go out of your way to make a relationship happen.
Pros
BBQ's every once in a while, nice dogs in store.
Cons
Management can be difficult to work with, overall decent.
Great company to work with
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 August 2018
My time with this company was a great experience. Very nice coworkers and I am easy going which made it easy to get along with the customers and other workers
Cons
no cons
Lies Lies Lies
Sales Team Member (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB20 August 2018
Hired as PA with many promises and expectations. They promised work/life balance and a dynamic culture and room for advancement. This location is ran on favoritism, lies and a ladies clique. If you are a man it is a waste of time to bother working here as if you show any knowledge or insight, you will be dragged upstairs, screamed at, wrote up and accused of having a negative attitude.

The retail admin is a backstabber and the ATL's both listen to the lies coming from lazy team members that are causing the issues in the first place. There is no direction and simply criticism when you even try to please them. The leaders do not communicate and half of them are not competent to be in their positions. They will pay you minimum wage and look for ways to write you up and not give you a raise on the annual review. Don't count on using your benefits as they will suspend you for getting ill. Don't waste your time with this place.

The company needs to seriously review the management at this location. Don't count on having a life as they will take your weekends/ holidays away and yell at you when you ask for time off.
Benefits
Cons
Incompetent Management
Excellent place of work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON24 July 2018
The company was awesome, best place I have ever worked. I was a long term part-time employee. The atmosphere was great and there was room to grow personally and professionally. The pay was above average for retail work and the benefits were pretty good.
Pros
rsp contributions
The people are awesome
Sales (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB6 July 2018
Want to get that out of the way right off the bat. The people working Sales, warehouse and Cash, are great... for the most part. a couple of slackers, but management doesn't seem to mind. Work is doled out based on sex, so if you are a guy, you can expect some heavy lifting, if you're a female (except for a couple of stellar sales ladies) you're not required to lift heavy stuff.
Management does not follow company policy even though it repeatedly pointed out to them. Part timers are not compensated anywhere near the level of full timers. two years before you get any benefits.. where full time are after 3 months I believe.. Seriously??
Unions are frowned upon. When a few people tried to start one, they flew in a couple of HR hotshots from Winnipeg to dissuade it. talking about how bad unions are and other lies.
So if you want a job that barely pays above minimum wage, where management doesn't follow their own rules, and you're expected to work like a dog the whole shift, sign er up. you'll love it.
Pros
great people working there.
Cons
no consistancy, people are singled out, sexist...
work day
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE4 July 2018
management was everywhere your told one thing then the next someone else is saying something else. hardest part is you stand all day. you meet nice people everyday but working with 4-5 mangers is hard
Best place ever
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB3 July 2018
Princess Auto has been the best place I have ever worked to date. Management is great and always willing to listen and help and put your ideas to work. Not sure about the other reviews people wrote but Princess Auto does everything they can to empower and grow their team members. From day one I knew this was the place for me me! Management strives for a clean and organized store and empowers employees to make decisions.
Pros
Great management, competitive pay, benefits
Cons
Retail does have times with grumpy customers
retail sales
Retail salesperson (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 June 2018
This job was like every other salesperson position. Dealing with the public in the manner that management wanted did prove to be quite taxing on my psyche.
supervisors are awesome
Part-time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK29 June 2018
fun place to work at.
fellow co-workers are great. supervisors are very friendly.
good place because they give employee discounts. it really helps a lot!
Good workplace, assuming you have good management.
Receiving Team Member (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB25 June 2018
The culture of this company is a good one, but as soon as you get into a store that has bad management, it becomes a nightmare of working day in and day out with abusing management.
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
Heavy lifting, Tight Deadlines
Typical day at work
Night Stocker (Former Employee) –  Burnside, NS17 June 2018
A typical day is receiving product, stocking shelves, greeting guests and helping them find what they are looking and most importantly giving them a good customer service experience.
Pros
Awesome people
Cons
Very small workplace
Great company
Floor Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON16 June 2018
The values of this company are great and its nice to see the growth of our company through the years. Management needs work, it shouldn't be intimidating to speak to a superior and those in the leadership roles shouldn't be able to abuse power without consequences.
Pros
great benefits and workplace culture
Cons
politics
Fun workplace, fun people.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC29 May 2018
Princess Auto was a fun place to work, with lots of different people. I loved working with different people on different shifts, and it felt like a family. The customers were mostly very nice, and fun to serve. The most enjoyable part of the job would be just getting to know my customers, and co-workers. The toughest part of the job would have to be the physical labour, and working in the warehouse.
Pros
Fun Staff.
Cons
Working on Sundays.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Princess Auto. Our community is ready to answer.