PriceSmart Foods

PriceSmart Foods Employee Reviews for Grocery Associate

Grocery Associate4 reviews
Canada4 reviews
This was one of my first part-time jobs in high school. They were quite short on staff so I often had to work multiple departments and got a taste for everything.
I really enjoyed my time there made a lot of friends. There is room for advancement if you are interested. Management is friendly and they always greet you in the morning. Some managers or supers are more hands on than others. we Got staff lunches and supported Hospitals with fundraising.
Pros
free lunch, friendly staff
Cons
need better pay.
My typical day would be on cash -which I had to be taken off of six months into the job due to medical reasons - In the meat department or the Deli. I was fine working on my own and kept my own pace, which lead me to be finished things earlier than most becuase I cleaned faster than most; except in the Deli.
Management didn't care about anyone who was below them, and made the entire store a hostile environment. The Team Leaders were worse, as most went on power trips and would berate you in front of customers for something that you had no control over, like them calling in sick and leaving no one to close, but becuase you were the last one in the department, it was somehow your job to stay 5 hours late to close it? There were over 200 of us working there, and you only really hung out with the people in the department you worked it; creating a high school-like environment. There was NOTHING good here, and I'm glad I left. The Store Owner and Front End Team Leader even trying to take wages away if your till was under - something against Union rules. I quit when the Store Owner accused me of blocking his "promotion" - which I had no clue he was even in line for, since I was just a CSR, not Management at the time. Last I heard, half the store quit, and when the union came in for a personnel Survey; they found that most of the managers and team leaders had an underground gambling ring; had a mysoginystic "Burn Book" in the office and had a "I would do them" chart in the security office. Every manager and team leader had been fired, and I'm glad.
Pros
The only pro was the break room would sometimes have treats
Cons
-Super busy, always doing something. Tons of customer interactions through out the day
-Learn about food safety and how to deal with unruly customers

-Management was very stressed out and caused for a really hostile and uncomfortable work environment at times

-super friendly staff
Pros
free lunches, friendly staff
Cons
always an angry customer, store is constantly a mess
Ask a question about working or interviewing at PriceSmart Foods. Our community is ready to answer.
PriceSmart Foods Reviews by Location