PriceSmart Foods

PriceSmart Foods Employee Reviews in Burnaby, BC

Burnaby, BC5 reviews
The work is simple but it gets boring when there are no customers. Knowing how to speak Cantonese or Mandarin is definitely an asset because many customers who shop there speak English as a second language. Learning cashier codes and being surprised by fruits I did not even know existed was an enjoyable experience.
The management is very funny and easy going, but somehow the company is too big and slow react in business changes. Good place for people who wants to work until retirement.
a typical day at work will be fast paced and filled with action and you will be performing a number of tasks from stocking shelves to helping managers
My typical day would be on cash -which I had to be taken off of six months into the job due to medical reasons - In the meat department or the Deli. I was fine working on my own and kept my own pace, which lead me to be finished things earlier than most becuase I cleaned faster than most; except in the Deli.
Management didn't care about anyone who was below them, and made the entire store a hostile environment. The Team Leaders were worse, as most went on power trips and would berate you in front of customers for something that you had no control over, like them calling in sick and leaving no one to close, but becuase you were the last one in the department, it was somehow your job to stay 5 hours late to close it? There were over 200 of us working there, and you only really hung out with the people in the department you worked it; creating a high school-like environment. There was NOTHING good here, and I'm glad I left. The Store Owner and Front End Team Leader even trying to take wages away if your till was under - something against Union rules. I quit when the Store Owner accused me of blocking his "promotion" - which I had no clue he was even in line for, since I was just a CSR, not Management at the time. Last I heard, half the store quit, and when the union came in for a personnel Survey; they found that most of the managers and team leaders had an underground gambling ring; had a mysoginystic "Burn Book" in the office and had a "I would do them" chart in the security office. Every manager and team leader had been fired, and I'm glad.
Pros
The only pro was the break room would sometimes have treats
Cons
The people and customers were all different but that is was makes the job rewarding, there is to much management and overall disorganized to many chiefs no enough Indians, they treat everybody like children and there is favoritism, it is supposed to be based on seniority but it isn't they want open availability and offer nothing,and the management lies, so good luck the jobs themselves are straightforward!
Pros
most of the staff are good
Cons
open availability
Ask a question about working or interviewing at PriceSmart Foods. Our community is ready to answer.