PriceSmart Foods

PriceSmart Foods Employee Reviews

Canada34 reviews
The work is simple but it gets boring when there are no customers. Knowing how to speak Cantonese or Mandarin is definitely an asset because many customers who shop there speak English as a second language. Learning cashier codes and being surprised by fruits I did not even know existed was an enjoyable experience.
If you can stick it out for base pay, it's a fun place to work and has a great staff. They are quick to acknowledge people for a good job and are always providing benefits for employees and holding barbecues for appreciation.
Pros
Free weekly offers
Cons
Low pay
The management is very funny and easy going, but somehow the company is too big and slow react in business changes. Good place for people who wants to work until retirement.
lack of advancement for my experience in on site sushi bar and ethnic deli program.

learn to work as a group, very goof benefits.

hourly paid job, proceeded a salary and best suit my experience
Pros
good benefit
Cons
lack of advancement
This was one of my first part-time jobs in high school. They were quite short on staff so I often had to work multiple departments and got a taste for everything.
Volunteering with the B.C. Children's Hospital, I was able to take this opportunity and see what community involvement was like and able to give my hand in helping the children and hospital anyway i could.
Working at Pricesmart was a great place to work at. The variation of skills learned on product placement and sales. the people and the managers made the difference.
a typical day at work will be fast paced and filled with action and you will be performing a number of tasks from stocking shelves to helping managers
I really enjoyed my time there made a lot of friends. There is room for advancement if you are interested. Management is friendly and they always greet you in the morning. Some managers or supers are more hands on than others. we Got staff lunches and supported Hospitals with fundraising.
Pros
free lunch, friendly staff
Cons
need better pay.
Everyone is kind and getting along with each other. They are very considerate especially for part-time students. They treat their employees respectfully.
this job was one of my best job.as It was my first job as teacher but I have never feel that I am doing any job because there was no stress as management was soo good and helpful.
Pros
awesome people, salary
Cons
exam time
A typical day at work, pretty basic. Check your paperwork, the incoming loads for shipping. Help customers and stock shelves. It's a low wage but easy job.
typical day of work consisted of signing in, reading the on sale items in the front counter. working Cash as well as knowing all produce by 4 digit codes. Co-workers were very nice and had positive attitudes. translating and trying to understand what some of the customers were saying because a lot didn't speak much english. Most enjoyable part was making customers satisfied with there purchases and gaining relationships with them.
staff is diligent and everyone works as a team.
staff offers free lunches daily, and plenty of snacks.

time goes by fast since there is plenty of work to be done
Amazing company to work with, especially if you're a student - they're very accommodating and understanding of student/ part-time hours. Definitely reccomended!
My typical day would be on cash -which I had to be taken off of six months into the job due to medical reasons - In the meat department or the Deli. I was fine working on my own and kept my own pace, which lead me to be finished things earlier than most becuase I cleaned faster than most; except in the Deli.
Management didn't care about anyone who was below them, and made the entire store a hostile environment. The Team Leaders were worse, as most went on power trips and would berate you in front of customers for something that you had no control over, like them calling in sick and leaving no one to close, but becuase you were the last one in the department, it was somehow your job to stay 5 hours late to close it? There were over 200 of us working there, and you only really hung out with the people in the department you worked it; creating a high school-like environment. There was NOTHING good here, and I'm glad I left. The Store Owner and Front End Team Leader even trying to take wages away if your till was under - something against Union rules. I quit when the Store Owner accused me of blocking his "promotion" - which I had no clue he was even in line for, since I was just a CSR, not Management at the time. Last I heard, half the store quit, and when the union came in for a personnel Survey; they found that most of the managers and team leaders had an underground gambling ring; had a mysoginystic "Burn Book" in the office and had a "I would do them" chart in the security office. Every manager and team leader had been fired, and I'm glad.
Pros
The only pro was the break room would sometimes have treats
Cons
-Super busy, always doing something. Tons of customer interactions through out the day
-Learn about food safety and how to deal with unruly customers

-Management was very stressed out and caused for a really hostile and uncomfortable work environment at times

-super friendly staff
Pros
free lunches, friendly staff
Cons
always an angry customer, store is constantly a mess
staff needs concerns health hazards management lacking elements
cleanliness space and safety concerns

benefits need to be updated
This was a very fun job working with amazing people and an overall good experience. There were issues with scheduling errors and being scheduled on my unavailable hours (that the store was given), as well as no notice to online scheduling changes.
Pros
Fun Workplace
Cons
Scheduling
It was a wonderful place to work with excellent managers and customers. Was a fast paced job that i enjoyed. Would work for the company again.
Pros
Very friendly
Cons
Was hard with school so I had to quit
I have done Hot Dog stand for Childrens Hopsital, It was all on the free time that I spent with Price Smart Foods for over the years either if its just clean up after an event of seting up something small im always around to help them
Ask a question about working or interviewing at PriceSmart Foods. Our community is ready to answer.