Price's Alarms

Price's Alarms Employee Reviews

Canada21 reviews
There is a LOT of communication methods at Prices alarms. Fast paced and competitive, they strive for hard working and the ability to multitask and exceedingly good phone communication skills are a must. If you are into talking with people, and fast paced environments, this is the place for you.
Worked here as a service technician and have to say it was by far the bet place I have ever worked. Great people and resources to help you along should you need it or get stuck on challenging jobs. I never felt overworked or stressed out which is rare in this industry, especially in a bigger city. Great firm work hours with nothing expected outside of working hours, allowing you to have a normal life. Learned a lot here, unfortunately I had to leave for family reasons but I do plan on coming back in a couple years and would love to work here again if given the chance.
Hands down the worst place I've ever had the misfortune of working for. Management doesnt care about you, and everyone is cliquey. If you're not perfect on day one dont expect to last.
The office manager all she did was scream at U & sit at her desk & paint her nails.Such Negative place to work.Always negative never positive feedback
If one of the techs doesnt like you, your boss will fire you.
They need to put in their job description, MUST be best friends with every single employee in their office, or you will be let go.
Great Management and team of Installs. Always ready to Help with smile on there face. loved working here. Have learned more about customer service and dealing with hard customer in stressful environment as well. All thanks to my Team of Installs and supervisor.
Price's took a gamble on me in 2010 - I was fresh off the boat from England, and had no qualifications that meant anything in Canada, and no job experience in security. I was hired and worked through some trying times, and built up strong relationships with my peers and the management team. I chose to leave Price's Alarms in 2015 to pursue other ventures. The other ventures did not pan out. While applying for other jobs I threw in a few applications for Price's Alarms, without any hope that they would re-hire me after I had previously left. They re-hired me without hesitation in 2017, and welcomed me back in to the team without any resentment over my previous departure.

Price's Alarms, the Price's family/ownership and the management team truly do value people who are willing to work and take the time to learn the job and do it right. The management team will always work with and stand-by their team, supporting and leading them. If you're willing to stick your neck out and get to know the management team and ownership, gorsh darn even going as far as to befriend them, you'll find some of the goofiest and friendliest people around.
I appreciate Price's gave me a chance and hired me even though I had very little related experience. The position was fast paced with lots to learn; my coworkers were nice and supportive in helping me learn the job. I enjoyed being able to help solve customers technical issues and the logistical challenges of scheduling techs.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, days go by fast, interesting industry
Cons
Parking, complicated security technology takes a while to learn
Very satisfying and fulfilling work, friendly staff, great clients, good pay and benefits. Relaxing desk work with great chairs, an hour total of paid break time, social fund for staff members, very accommodating and understanding management, great training.
Pros
Benefits, work environment
Cons
Inflexible work days
This is a fast-paced job, with a lot of information to learn. Once you have some experience and fill in the gaps, it's quite fun to figure out the puzzles each day.

Always something new to learn, and if that's what you are looking for this is for you!
Pros
Management takes an active interest, good benefits, nice working atmosphere
Cons
Parking can be tricky to find
Pay does not match the workload, the culture is gossipy and I feel like its high school all over again. Not enough help when its needed, high turnover rate for employes as the workload is a lot. No real reason to stick around plus its a 6 months probation period before the lousy benefits kick in.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Little pay heavy work load
11 June 2019
We regret to hear your negative experience and thank you for this feedback.

We’re surprised to hear your claim of a high turnover rate as our billing team is a small and remarkably stable team of 5 with little turnover (we don’t consider team members transferring to another dept as turnover). That said, the Billing Clerk role is one of the more demanding and specialized administrative positions in the company and it often takes multiple attempts before we find that “right fit” person. Some people choose to leave on their own and others simply aren’t suited for the position. (It’s not fair to the rest of the team when you have 1 person only doing 40% of their share and the rest of the team has to pick up the slack.

Turnover and hiring is costly and we are actively working to reduce it. We understand security is a very specialized industry and team members mostly learn via ongoing mentorship. We are in the process of moving all reference manuals to an easily searchable online database to help this learning curve.

Our benefits are comprehensive and comparable to other industries (include dental, chiropractic, physio, etc). We regret the need to have a 6 month waiting period, but our long term employees all support this as it helps keeps premiums down for everyone using benefits.

We wish you well and request you contact us at HR@pricesalarms.ca if you have any other questions or concerns.
pretty good company to work for, local and has lots of good employees. This is a family owned and operated business that is probably going to be around for a very very long time
I have worked for a number of companies of various sizes (both private and publicly traded, with a handful to thousands of employees) and the management at Price’s do stand out. They actually spend time training their employees and developing their management team. It’s a busy workplace and while it can be challenging at times (juggling with various internal priorities and dealing with difficult customers), the talented performers are recognized. The managers were interested in hearing my feedback and viable suggestions were implemented where possible, and this truly makes an employee feel valued. Price’s was a stepping stone for me and I enjoyed my time there. Victoria is a small city, and it is nice to be able to work at this sizable company.
Pros
Local headquarters with great opportunities and a management team that cares.
Cons
Job posting was vague. Specialized industry with steep learning curve.
I was a billing clerk. Without going into too much detail, this was the WORST employer for whom I ever worked. The ownership family can't run a business to save their life and the culture here is nothing more than a highschool popularity contest.
Pros
Competitive pay, business hours
Cons
No parking for employees, bad management, poor work culture
11 June 2019
We regret to hear of your negative experience and thank you for your feedback - we believe in a positive, respectful, and harassment free workplace based on merit, and will try to place a stronger emphasis on culture and fit when hiring. We’re surprised to read your feedback about ownership as the company has been owned and operated by the same family for over 124 years (now in its 4th generation). While far from being perfect, we are one of the longest running successful businesses in Western Canada. We wish you well.
Consistent work flow, with interesting challenges to keep you sharp and expand your knowledge, learning opportunities each day, and great support from wonderful co-workers in each department. A large, and ever growing company with extremely down to earth, and talented members of management to lead us to success, and great customer service.
Pros
Endless job experience, applicable in many fields.
Cons
Changing procedures, and having to adapt to them due to growing customer base.
Great company and leadership.
Just keeps getting bigger!

Great training.

Well diverse in many different aspects of security and a great customer service team.
I would not recommend this company. They are very disorganized though they believe they are well run. They do not treat the staff well at all and in my opinion view them as disposable. I was there for 4 yrs and saw a company that holds a compliment of about 150 staff company wide and have gone through more than 400 people in the time I was there.
Pros
Good people work there
Cons
Bad management
11 June 2019
We regret to hear of your negative experience and thank you for your feedback.

We dispute your claim of more than 400 people hired in 4 years – it’s HUGELY exaggerated! 1/3 of our staff have been with us for over 5 years (the longest tenured employee has been with us for 25 years!)

That said, employee turnover is a problem and we are working to reduce turnover across the company; this includes trying to hire positive people who fit with the company culture, setting a respectful and harassment free workplace, encouraging a good work/life balance, and offering cross training opportunities for those interested.

It’s a difficult task in today’s hot economy and job market. The vast majority of turnover is within the first 3 month probation period - most often, the job isn’t the right fit for that team member and they decide to leave (and we’re back at square one to fill the position). It’s costly in time and money to advertise job openings, conduct interviews, hire, train and repeat. Additional costs include lower service levels for our clients and higher stress and workload for the existing team members who are working short staffed. We hire for aptitude and attitude and many of our employees are young adults who commonly leave the organization to go back to school, move to another part of the country, or simply pursue other opportunities more in-line with their personal passions (ie. holistic organic farming, human resources career, personal trainer, etc)

Once we find “right fit” team members, they can be with us for the long term. 1/3 of our staff have been with us for over
 - more...
11 June 2019
We regret to hear of your negative experience and thank you for your feedback.

We dispute your claim of more than 400 people hired in 4 years – it’s greatly exaggerated! 1/3 of our staff have been with us for over 5 years (the longest tenured employee has been with us for 25 years)

- more...
- Small family like setting
- Hands on ownership

- Great hours

- Centrally located

Really enjoyed my time here with this company. People who care about other people
This company does not operate on work ethic and is strictly on what your peers think of you. The management in this department is very cryptic and unclear on what is expected from one person. You have to guess to what issues you maybe having and correct them because no one is going to tell you. The communication to the employees is very limited and causes a lot of issues within each department.
Pros
Locally owed and operated
Cons
Communication, pay, management
11 June 2019
We regret to hear of your negative experience and thank you for your feedback. We have worked hard and improved a lot as an employer in the 5 years since this review was posted including: implementing a hire from within policy that resulted in more knowledgeable and supportive supervisors, leadership training, refining employee reviews, and rolling out an internal sharepoint website to assist with communication by posting documents, policies, and procedures in an easily searchable online database. We wish you well.
11 June 2019
I have done sales for ten years I lasted one week doing this door to door sales BS
Good company to work for, and start your Alram tech carrer for. Lots of work, and decint pay.
Pros
great starter company to work for
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Price's Alarms. Our community is ready to answer.