Precision Drilling Employee Reviews

used to be good
Heavy equipment operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 March 2019
getting paid less, working harder, getting pushed more, living allowance has not gone up, no raises in years, took away the 125$ credit card. zero job security. hence why I am looking for a new job
Tough work, good money.
Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB20 March 2019
Unless your put into a camp environment, your off to fend for yourself. So you’ll need the money for a hotel room upfront. They do pay you a living allowance but based on when you start you won’t see it for a while. There’s certain rules set out by each rig. If you do not fit in right away or like to complain than this is not the job for you. Your expected to break your back while higher positions than you sit on there A** all day. Expect to be talked down to, especially if your just starting out. Guys don’t tend to be nice to the green hands so best thing to do is keep quiet and work hard. I don’t recommend this lifestyle to anyone with kids. Your usually gone a minimum of 2 weeks or up to 20 days, With a week off. As far as the work goes it is definitely on the labour intensive side. Expect to have a sore back as well as hands and feet. You spend all day on your feet, and if your not doing hard labour than your cleaning the rig.
Pros
Money
Cons
Long hours, hard labour.
Poor management/ Favouritism
Driller (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB7 March 2019
Dedicated 20 years to a company that would rather throw you under the bus than to help you.
They want young people who suck up and back stab each other.
They don’t want people to get along.
You could screw up and cost company millions but if you know someone who knows someone or your mother/father/uncle/brother/etc works for the company you can get away with pretty much anything like failing a drug test 4-5 times and still have your job.
Was a great company one time. Not any more!
When they say you’re just a number....here you are definitely just a number!
Not recommended for a career, quick cash maybe.
Dead end job
Pros
Good pay/when they put you to work
Cons
Management/organization/favouritism/back stabbers
Leasehand to Derrickhand (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 March 2019
They were good.
They always paid. The Work environment was like any Other Drilling contractor. Long Hours. Typical Living Conditions Provided by Oil company.
Go no where job
Fitter-Welder (Former Employee) –  Rostel Industries13 February 2019
Guys I worked with where for the most part talk behind your back kind of people unless you melded with they’re every aspect. Some worse than others. Be careful seeking employment at a place like this. If you want to be you at work ? Or a fake ? This may not be the place for you. Management will lie to your face.
Pros
Benefit package awesome but they subtracted massage
Cons
Reminds me of a junior high school shop class
I worked there so long ago I barley remember my time there
Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 January 2019
Long winters and short summers. Working in camps. meeting a lot of drug addicts and cool east coasters. Not for me I like to sleep in my own bed and be around my children in the eve.
Great place to learn
Motor Hand (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB10 January 2019
I enjoyed the work and am grateful for the experience gained. The fact that you are away from everything for extended periods of time becomes straining on your personal life.
Pros
Long hours allow you to save money
Cons
You miss out on life
Excellent money hard work in extreme tempratures
Derrick hand (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB3 December 2018
I worked there for 15 years, if you are safety conscious and are not afraid of hard work. You can earn a good living but your family will rarely see you.
Pros
payday
Cons
long hours, cold and hot work, dirty, smelly.
Labour intensive
Motor hand (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB2 December 2018
Projects are remote and seasonal. The jobs are labour intensive and require a particular mindset so pray you are working with a good team cause you'll be trapped with those boys in the bush for the next couple of weeks
great experience
Driller (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 November 2018
Good equipment ,people and training.Safety was top notch and I learned continuously throughout the 10+ years with the company.I would recommend Precision to anyone.
Pros
Training
Cons
Inconsistent work
Pays the bills and funds a way of life
Motor hand (Current Employee) –  Nisku, AB28 October 2018
Don't sell your soul, you're in it for you, not for them, look out for number one. They will throw you under the bus, just givem a reason. buy a house and get out.
Managed 15 men on the drilling rig
Rig Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 October 2018
I lived at the job site and was on 24 hr avalibillity. Met with all crew members each shift and over seen drilling rig components and operations . Helped train new hands and trouble shoot all problems
Pros
Great job and pay
Cons
Long stretches away from home
Fun While It Lasted
Well Planner (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 October 2018
I worked in the field as an MWD Operator for 3 years then moved to Well Planning downtown Calgary. I enjoyed both positions but more so Well Planning. Things slowed right down as the oil/gas downturn hit hard and I was laid off. Haven't been unable to find another job as well planner so it is a difficult position to land.
Pros
Fun Challenging Work, Co-Workers
Cons
Training Was Poor, No Raises or Bonuses Offered
good working culture
motorman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 October 2018
precision drilling was very commited to its employees . they allways followed the highest level of safety and didn't take short cuts when it came to work
great place to start an oilfeild career
great guy (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB3 October 2018
Good benefits when working, safety and training program are good. stability of employment is horrible and loss of benefits happen right away once shut down
Pros
fast cash
Cons
gone alot, work conditions are never consistent. ei camp life, food, facilities varies job to job and the company you work for
Lots of fun as an intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 September 2018
Worked here as an intern for a couple summers, it was a lot of fun and helped teach me about the office environment and what it entails. I worked in the IT Department so the dress code was pretty casual and my co workers were really awesome.
Pros
Good pay, awesome management, great work environment
Cons
can be stressful for someone not used to office work
Working for Precision drilling on an old Triple Drill Rig
Oil & Gas Rig Technician/ Motor Hand (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB21 September 2018
My first real job as i see it was when I left Vancouver island with 1000$ in my pocket and my cavalier car and headed to Edmonton to get hired on with PD. Right after doing the training course i knew this would be labour intensive. I got on an old triple drill rig that didn't have all the fancy hydraulic elevators or hydraulic cat walk. Every piece of iron had to be pushed or pulled if you wanted it to move. I started as rough neck , then became a motor hand for most of my career with PD and worked a bit of derrick hand. A typical day on the drill rig would have us scrubbing and keeping it in tip top shape. Checking the hydraulic system and BOP Blow out preventer as well as the choke manifold and mud tank system in case we took a kick of gas and had to shut in and kill the well. As a motor hand i would service the 1000HP triplex mud pumps with the derrick hand. I was in charge of the SCR shack and the three CAT 600 HP diesel generator. I maintained the systems on the rig and ran the steam boiler in the winter to keep the rig warm. When we had to trip pipe in/out of the hole this could take 12 hrs at times as the depth that could be reached was 3400 meters. I liked working up the derrick tho it was just me pulling back pipe without any help by myself all night, so it could get a bit repetitive and cold as there was no heat 100ft up the derrick on the monkey boards as they called it. Most of the guys were great to work with, some of the fill in drillers could be a bit bossy and short tempered but if you worked hard and looked after one another it was pretty easy going. The hardest  more... part of the job at that point was the physical labour in the cold weather, Nothing wants to move easily and things freeze up constantly. The best part was the we had our own small camp and the food was phenomenal , the cooks would make us what we wanted.  less
Pros
Great food as we had our own cooks
Cons
cold weather, labourous, getting covered in Invert mud
Drilling Rigs
Roughneck (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB21 September 2018
Precision is a good place to work if you like hard work and 12 hour shifts. They have lots of work and the money is good. its typical drilling rig job
good steady work
Derrick Hand (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 September 2018
I enjoyed my time working for PD, and would recomend them to anyone. they will always help shuffle people around to ensure theres some work for you as long as you're willing to take some jobs below your normal position for a few weeks.
Bad culture
Sr. Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 August 2018
Like working in a mafia family, only friends and family culture, out sliders will be treated badly. HR does a great job hiring the good people but in operations they will keep who they know I was discriminated at in broad day light and the manager ignored all my complaints

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Precision Drilling. Our community is ready to answer.