PPL Aquatic Fitness & Spa Group Employee Reviews

Stay Away!!!
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON3 June 2019
They sent me to a brampton location when I live in mississauga (after i applied for a mississauga position) which is a 2hr commute from my house and when I asked to switch, management didn't respond. The pools are unequipped and in sketchy neighbourhoods and you can't easily drop any shifts (you'll get about 30 shift drop request emails a day, probably 10 of which actually get accepted). I wanted to quit after a week and they withheld my pay (I lost around $210). There are constant phone calls daily where managers ask you to take open shifts on your days off (the reason it's so easy to get the job is because no one ever returns). To the young naive kids that apply every year; my 1 advice: DO NOT HESITATE TO TELL THEM YOU REFUSE TO WORK AT A POOL THAT IS UNEQUIPPED. The liability will fall on you if anything happens so hold them to their responsibilities and BE ASSERTIVE or they will walk all over you.
Cons
no help, managing a pool alone
Be careful!
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 May 2019
All I can say is that is was the worst job I've ever had and I've ad 10 part time jobs.
No one cares about the lifeguards. Nobody does their job properly, especially the management. Too many things have happened to me while working there to put into words.
fun and productive workplace
Recreation Center Supervisor and Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2019
•Oversaw the operations of recreation facilities and promoted numerous fitness and health programs

•Demonstrated excellent customer service skills when handling residences’ conflicts and complaints

•Partook in daily pool and spa maintenance
Pros
freedom to be creative with programs
Cons
lack of communication
Great money and will always want you back, however the management sucks
District Supervisor (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON8 December 2018
-poor management
- great if you enjoy hot weather and being outside
-must have good people skills, lots of old people that swim and like to talk
-always looking for shift coverage
-unreliable staff
-great money
-very independant job, you will spend full days alone at your pool with no other staff.

overall: worth it, but quit when you feel they are abusing your loyalty.
Pros
Lots of money and shifts available
Cons
Lack of support from superiors
Bad Management
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 August 2018
For a summer job, this is a great start to a lifeguarding career. My experience with PPL was a mix of good and bad. I'll start off with the good - they have a flexible schedule (if you are are working part-time) and they give clear instructions before you work to download a "work app" - helps whenever you clock into work and for picking up a shift. A lot of the hours are rather long, but then again great to make easy money for the day. I've worked there for nearly a year but only in the summer. The lifeguards I've worked with are rather friendly and can be great company for a rather long day of guarding the pool. My advice if you do plan to work there - only asks for shifts that are three guarded or two, that way you won't be completely alone during a shift. The bad - never work full time for PPL. I repeat NEVER work full time for PPL. As soon as you work full time for them the management they will overwhelm you with shifts. They don't only overwhelm you with the shifts but they also give you shifts to places far from where you live. I had one of the management once who gave me a shift in Toronto and Etobicoke. I specifically told them I can't go further than Burlington since I live in Oakville and I don't have my G2. They still gave the shifts even though I couldn't take it. The management threatened to fire me because I could not go to the shift they located me to. They told me if I don't go to the next shift which was still too far away from my location they would fire me. I would use a bus but it takes about 2 hours to get to those locations from where I live. Who would  more... want to travel that long to get to work and then get back from a tiresome shift? And then there is uber which cost about nearly $50 dollars to get there. From the salary we are getting which is the minimum of $14 dollars an hour - that's like 3.5 hours worth of a shift. To be completely honest I've met a lot of great people - kids, parents, and lifeguards. I've never would have thought enjoyed working for a job that I could sit in the sun for the whole day. It's terrific! But if I have to change something it's the management. I've spoken to a lot of lifeguards and their concerns are with the people running the schedules. It's really frustrating to be working for a great job that is run by people that can't even handle their own employees properly.  less
Good summer job, lots of hours!
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 August 2018
This was great for a university student needing a summer job. Hours were slightly limited in may/june as most pools are outdoors. But the rest of the summer makes up for it, getting 50-60 hours a week! Each day you get an hour for pool maintenance, and usually at the same pool so get to know the people really well. The management team is very good at communicating with you and get you what you need. Only thing is it can be difficult to change shifts as they are often understaffed, and will often call asking for you to go on your days off. Otherwise I have recommended PPL to friends and family for recurring summer positions.
Pros
Lots of hours, outdoors, good management, lots of hours
Cons
can be boring, long hours
if you're desperate
Lifeguard and Swimming Instructor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 July 2018
hardest part is getting time off because no one cares about you and everyone else is trying to get someone to cover their shifts all the time, the people at the pool probably wont like you and will think you're not qualified
Pros
empty pool means you can swim
Cons
never getting time off
Ppl
Recreation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto9 March 2018
Typical work day: plan/teach recreation activities such as fitness classes, game nights, tournaments, bbqs, holiday parties, day trips.
: Customer (resident) services
: Pool/Spa maintenance
: Resident relations, materials such as flyers,newsletters and brochures.

Management/Workplace : Young and energetic go getters, whom do their best to work with staff to create a schedule and work environment suited for everyone.

Hardest Part: Scheduling programs to fit every ones needs.

Most Enjoyable part: Getting to see the residents enjoy and interact with each other during community events
good company, alot of work by yourself but you get to interact with alot of people
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 March 2018
all the pools they own are private so they are very quiet. but there are a lot of people who live in the buildings and you really get to know them and befriend them. a lot of the times I've had people offer me drinks and snacks because they feel bad that I'm out in the sun all day.
Pros
alot of fun working outside with different people
Productive and Fun Workplace
Recreation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Absolute Recreation7 March 2018
A typical day as a recreation coordinator begins with prioritizing the bookings for a given day and organizing them into today's bookings or future bookings folders. Afterwards, you ensure that the pool chemicals are at an acceptable range, and that residents coming into the facility are in fact residents and have a valid club ID card on them at all times.

The management team at Absolute is terrific, offering constant support and mentorship to the staff. It helps to cultivate a a strong team environment that is both productive and fun to be apart of.
Pros
PPL offers a fun work environment with a great management team and room for upwards mobility.
Cons
Some residents can be difficult to deal with at the various locations, but these are few and far in between.
Great experience for current students or new graduates!!
Recreation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 March 2018
PPL was a company I started to work for after graduation. It was a great starting job, with a great management team, benefits and amazing atmosphere. I worked full time in a very independent role as a recreation coordinator. I had a full week of training where I thoroughly learned how to complete pool maintenance and chemical checks, along with completing administrative work for residents.
PPL has lots of locations where you can work, and there is possibility to be placed in an area of your convenience! The company was really accommodating to my schedule and was able to schedule hours based around things that came up!
On top of this, I spent most of my day interacting with many different types of people which made the job really awesome!
Pros
Flexible hours, potential for growth, different positions available
Recreation staff and lifeguard
Lifeguard and Recreation Staff (Current Employee) –  135 Matheson Blvd. East Mississauga9 January 2018
The work environment is friendly and professional. I've worked with PPL for the past five years and I'm proud to be their employee. I travelled to different sites for different shifts and all of their sites were welcoming.
Productive, relaxed and great people
Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 January 2018
Each day was simple, organized and low stress. The head drafter was extremely knowledgeable. The people were very friendly and easy to work with. Overall enjoyable place to work.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Little room for advancement
Worked for more than 4 years
Recreation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 October 2017
- Amazing job if you are a student. Got a lot of school work done as the job requires you to mostly sit at your desk. You can never really be fired, unless you screw up really really bad. I've seen people screw up and just get moved around. But management is pretty incompetent and a headache to deal with.
Good experience for beginner lifeguards
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 January 2017
Overall, this was a good summer job. A typical day at work would involve daily pool maintenance and then lifeguarding for a couple hours at a time. The management team is very young and inexperienced and can expect too much from their employees. The hardest part of the job was the pool maintenance, as it turns out the state of the pool is heavily dependent on the location of the pool. Weather, construction zones and residents can make or break the pool. Another hard part of the job was being expected to work alone. The employer hires inexperienced lifeguards but has them working alone after one 2 hour training session. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with people everyday. Lifeguarding can be pretty boring without social interaction.