Powell Industries Employee Reviews

Student worked for Powell temporarily during the summer
Mechanical Assembler (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 September 2019
co-workers are patient and understanding, Powell has a great atmosphere and work culture, also management is very easy to work with. I highly recommend Powell to any college or university students looking for summer employment. Powell gives you a great opportunity to learn about low and medium switchgear while giving you an idea of what working in the industry will look and feel like.
Joke
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 August 2019
1.Well below industry wages - which means they get inexperienced people.
2.Mass confusion, More managers than workers. Just like a soap opera day in day out with employees and mangers constantly arguing and Backstabbing each other and just plain disrespectful and cancerous place to work.
3.Lies, lies and more lies. They don't Care about there employees. They'll tell you what you want to here.
They say there's lots of work or keep you busy but soon as it's slow- layoff.

My suggestion. Look for another job not worth the headache!!
Pros
Lots of time off
Great place to work!!!
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Acheson, AB14 August 2019
I have been employed at Powell for over 5 years. It is a great place to work, there is a great culture, and the management is very approachable.

I would recommend it to anyone.
Pros
There are usually 2 staff BBQ's every year, and industry competitive benefits.
Edmonton branch valve division was horrible
Doesn’t matter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 August 2019
Management was poorly organized. Took too many short cuts to put lives in danger. Valve division management does not how to communicate effectively. More like a shut up and do your job kind of feel even though there was never enough work due to. They say core values is important but there was none
Hated Powell
Worker (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB2 August 2019
I hated working for Powell. Middle management treats you like a child and there is so many middle managers to workers. It is long days working there and the rules seems to be no end in rules and some just seem unreasonable. If your sick you are sent to 3 different people to be given the ok to go home😂.

I'm glad to be free of this employyer.
Pros
Clean Shop
Cons
Benifites are not fully covered by Powell.
Productive and friendly enviroment
Welder/Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 July 2019
I started with Powell as a contract welder in February of 2019. I went in for 3 days work as a contractor. They liked my work and personality. I've since had almost 500 billable hours of work as a contractor. The Management is fantastic. I get along with everyone there. The lunch meals are brought in about 2 times per month and BBQ's seem to be about every month. The culture is great.
Pros
excellent team atmosphere
Cons
30 day wait for pay as a contractor
No respect
Employee (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB9 July 2019
At Powell they preach respect but do not practise behind the seen.
Pros
Close to Spruce Grove
Cons
No respect, Long hours.
Job not a Carreer, move on!
Building Erector (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB27 June 2019
Powell is a place that likes to act like their a big company but is pretty disheveled and penny pinching. They hire one week only to lay off a a couple months later. Saw a lot of good employees lay-ed off ( while they kept the useless ones) which were never called back when it does pick up the few months a year when they have work. Management seemed to only care about the office employees and none of the employees on the floor. My Manager was a complete imbecile who only created problems and never solved any when you needed help . Only sucked up to the hierarchy. Safety is pretty pathetic, it appeared to be there only to empress clients. Don't give a hoot about employees. American outfit that is used to having Mexicans working for nothing. Unfortunately managers buy into that culture. I worked with a lot of good people that will never work there again. That's why their always recruiting. They like to sell new employees on cafeteria and working inside but don't buy into it. Its all a facade!
Pros
Free parking, short term job.
Cons
Low wages, Little advancement, Poor safety. A Manager and Supervisor for every 3 to 4 employees.
Demeaned
Employee (Current Employee) –  Acheson, AB24 June 2019
Floor manager lied to me and trested me with no respect. I felt demeaned. I will be looking for a new job and quite Powell ASAP. Wish I never took a job here. They also deduct a lot to pay for benifites off my pay checks.
Cons
Long Hours
Terrible Employyer
Employyee (Former Employee) –  Alberta13 June 2019
Powell Canada is a terable employyer.
Do your self a favor and look for a place that does not just preach respect like Powell but acually shows you respect.
Pros
Productive fast furious place to work
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB18 October 2017
Fast, furious and fun place to work at.
Great work hours. Monday to Friday with approved overtime.
Laid off due to work shortage.
Close to home.
Great benefits.
Pros
Monday to Friday.
Cons
Laid off due to work shortage
good place to work
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB13 March 2017
Was a good place to work. Everyone had fun, and the foreman were approachable. Got along well with everyone, and had lots of fun. Good work dynamic among everyone.
fun place to work
Nameplate Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB27 February 2017
This is a different nature of work compare to my previous employers and I must say that I learned lots when it comes to electrical, low voltage, switch gears and other stuff for oil and gas company. Learned the safety and security of working with a lot of hazards and also to communicate well on production and work orders to make sure that we deliver products on time to the client or customers.
Pros
clean and safe work environment
Cons
unstable employment status
Work environment while intense at times was not without its rewards ie: praise.
Senior IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ont.24 October 2016
I was the IT liaison between Public Works/Shared Services Canada and Transport Canada and Health Canada. The work entailed ensuring that the IT services that those departments had contracted with Public Works/Shared Services were delivered on a timely and on cost basis. This was a daily requirement. The management for those two departments were very demanding in ensuring those contract commitments were met.
Pros
Monetary
Cons
Very agressive work environment
Good Place to work
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 May 2016
Lots of work when oil is up in price. Good co-workers and management team. Was kept busy and safe on the job projects. Good co-workers.
They do not support the apprenticeship program.
Electricians Helper (Current Employee) –  Acheson, AB24 March 2016
Unless you are a Journeyman Electrician who doesn't care about the future of the trade I wouldn't work here. This place exists with no apprentices.
non stress work place
Electrical Journeyman (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 March 2016
company with very high safety standards and good management with very good ambient between co-workers.
good police about teaching apprentices.
i really enjoyed working with powell
1ST YEAR ELECTRICIAN APPRENTICE (Former Employee) –  acheson6 October 2015
I only got the pleasure of working with powell for 6 months but i really enjoyed it. I worked with many different types of people and learned alot in the process. Both management and my coworkers went out of their way to thoroughly train me and im very thankful for that.
great job
Construction & Estimating Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 October 2015
a great job; great colleagues
Unfortunately there were some upper management personnel conflicts that resulted in a number of key personnel leaving, resulting in a 'challenging' work environment.
disorganized management and no communication
little bit of everything (Current Employee) –  Acheson, AB11 August 2015
the job tasks are good, just the disorganization in the planning and management are lacking. also overworked for little pay and no recognition
Pros
work hours
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Powell Industries. Our community is ready to answer.