Pottery Barn Management reviews

Fun
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 September 2018
It was a fun gig. Does not pay much, but you work with other team members in a small group. Build a small bond and you do lots of physical work. If the manager wasn't so crazy and obsessed with micromanagement then it would be more tolerable. Overall, it is decent.
Pros
Physical Work, Fairly carefree.
Cons
Awful management, Micromanagement, Utter Hypocrisy and Insanity.
Great position
Stock and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 May 2018
Fun co workers, fun employers, great management, job is fun and fair, minimal contact with customers, no windows which is a negative, but the people make it worth it.
Decent part-time job
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 April 2018
When its busy you will be running around for the whole shift and hauling around 100-200+ lbs boxes. However it balances out when there's absolutely nothing to do.

Being a part-time stock associate is great for some extra income while in school but there is almost no room for progress if you're looking for a career.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Heavy lifting alone, questionable management
Fun place to work, but high pressure to sell
Design Studio Specialist/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary30 August 2017
I would rather be employed as an Interior Designer, not a sales person. I feel that even though we are called Design Studio Specialists, we are basically just Sales People.

Also, very little to no training provided - People in Managerial positions should not be managers. Very poor communication, and
staff are treated like children on many occasions.

Very high expectation to sell, which creates a toxic competitive environment that was not there previously.

Poor pay, poor management, poor training, poor communication and follow-up.
Great place to work with good management
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 June 2017
Fun place to work. Management team is well put together. From the head manager to the supervisors they all care thoroughly for their employees. Always making sure that we were doing our jobs but mostly making sure we were doing alright. They were never shy to lend a helping hand. I would highly recommend working at this location.
Pros
team orientated, good management, store was in a mall
Cons
louzy coworkers, small space
co-workers are friendly and supportive, the manager is not
Cashier/Stock/Sales (Former Employee) –  Chinook center22 March 2017
I was lead to believe that I would stay on past seasonal however I learned through a supervisor in casual conversation that I was written out of the schedule and let go. There was no official word from the manager. This was demeaning and disrespectful. Additionally through the month leading up to this event my job would change sporadically with no notice or communication before or after. I would go into work dressed business casual (as expected of me) to do the job I've been accustomed too for months only to be told I was working in stock now, I was given a work shirt to change into which i had to do in the bathroom as I was given not even a minute of notice. Communication from the manager was poor and insincere.
Pros
They gave me a cupcake on my birthday
Cons
Horrible communication
Great Company
Sales Associate/ Design Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 February 2017
Easy going management, fun work environment if you love kids. Spent most of the day helping mothers and kids chose furniture and decor for their bedrooms or playrooms.
Pros
great discount, fun work environment
Cons
Bossy, demanding parents who expect to always get what they want
Great co-workers. Terrible human resources
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 October 2016
Beautiful store with really nice staff but company and manager policies have made a toxic work atmosphere and very high turnover. As a result store is constantly short staffed.
Very high focus on selling and culture but without the commissions/rewards to go along with it.
Anyone can get 40 hours per week if they want it however no full-timer benefits given except for management.
Pottery Barn is a great retail brand with great products but unfortunately their human resource policies are wacky and some people aren't equipped to lead employees.
Pros
Flexible working hours. No shortage of hours. Staff discount (if you can afford it!)
Cons
No benefits. Short staffing. Old technology. Almost no training.
Productive and fun workplace
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brossard, QC13 March 2016
Most enjoyable part of the job is the teamwork to get the job done and customer satisfaction. Nice touches by management to say they appreciate your work.
very unorganized. too many micro managers
DESIGN STUDIO SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 February 2016
no one in the management team seem to be on the same page at any given time. hours are never guaranteed. new staff are hired on without being fulled trained. management does not correct problems within the workplace in a timely fashion.
very laid-back environment with great staff and a great stock team.
Stock Personnel (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 July 2015
stock checks, running up and down stairs, finding products for customers, lifting big items and customer pick-ups is a typical day at work.

i have learned much about the stock procedures due to the size of stock dealt with at Pottery Barn compared to other stores.

management and co-workers are all very good and down-to-earth people. very nice and very friendly.

the hardest part of the job is trying to locate a product when the customer gives little information about their purchase.

the most enjoyable part is the end of the work shift because i know i leave the job with a very hard days work under my belt.
Pros
free lunches/snacks/drinks
Cons
not enough hours
Productive woking place with fun team activities
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  AL Rai industrial park, Kuwait4 January 2014
Everyday in our store we have a friendly games and activities,
like each team should reach their target quota for the day, each team who will reach their target will gonna have a free lunch or 2 hours long break. The management are very smart to think of kind of fun activities at work because it helps to increase the sales and we are having fun at the same time, my co-workers are very supportive in everything especially my team mates we help each others to get the success for the everyday activity. We fail sometimes but its fine.
the hardest part of the job is nothing maybe, I don't know maybe because I'm enjoying the job and if you are enjoying the job nothing is hard and the most enjoyable part of the job is when everything is well done and the customer appreciated your work and if they came back and looking for you to assist them really it makes me happy, If the management appreciated what you've done it's really make me happy as well.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Free 1 hour more on break time
decent job for young people, but not a place for growth and advancement unless you were good friends with management
Key Holder/Shipper/Receiver/Stock (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontaro at 3 different locations8 December 2013
-receive shipment, process it, organize it into back storage
-help with retail sales
-ship out customer orders
-ship organize orders for customer pick up
-most co-workers were great to work with the occasional not so great co-workers
-with management it was pretty much the same with the comment on co-workers
-it was a very simple easy job
-hardest thing about the job was advancement, unless you were really close with management you weren't getting promoted. I actually had to change to a different store location in order to finally get promoted.
-the most enjoyable part of the job was working with some good people that were both good friends and efficient at the job.
-as a key holder I was in charge of the closing shift in the back stock. It was like a management position without the management pay.
Pros
flexible work hours, decent benefits, promotes safe work environment
Cons
Low pay rate, Rarily promotes from within unless you are very good friends with managers