Pottery Barn Employee Reviews

Fun
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 September 2018
It was a fun gig. Does not pay much, but you work with other team members in a small group. Build a small bond and you do lots of physical work. If the manager wasn't so crazy and obsessed with micromanagement then it would be more tolerable. Overall, it is decent.
Pros
Physical Work, Fairly carefree.
Cons
Awful management, Micromanagement, Utter Hypocrisy and Insanity.
Fast Paced Environment
Visual Representative, Full & Part Time (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 July 2018
Part of being on the Visual team is all about being about to stay on top of tasks and keeping the store updated as per changes made by head office. Must be able to merchandise product in a way that makes the store look great and shoppers more keen on purchasing.
It is important to learn how to work as a team as there are many working gears in the business with the behind the scenes team and the sales team. You must be able to adapt to every situation as it is very busy and all guests have different needs.
Product knowledge is key, as you're selling high quality, expensive products, you must know the answers to every guests questions.
Great place to build skills
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 June 2018
-You will be busy all day
- Not a place where you get bored!
- Fun co-workers.
- It is an environment were there are lots of children
- you MUST have patience.
Pros
You get to be creative
Cons
Spoiled Customers
career path and people first company
Employee (Current Employee) –  Canada4 June 2018
this company allows you to grow in your career- they have instilled strong servant leadership competencies and empower their leaders to be true shop keepers.
Super environnement
Vendeuse/Conseillère (Current Employee) –  Brossard, QC21 May 2018
Bon environnement de travail et personnel attentionné
Great position
Stock and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 May 2018
Fun co workers, fun employers, great management, job is fun and fair, minimal contact with customers, no windows which is a negative, but the people make it worth it.
Great environment
Stock boy (Former Employee) –  Brossard, QC10 April 2018
Busy store specially during Christmas time. Employees are friendly and helpful, great team work. Mangers have so much to worry about there not always there but they do their best. Always clean and amazing decoration.
Decent part-time job
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 April 2018
When its busy you will be running around for the whole shift and hauling around 100-200+ lbs boxes. However it balances out when there's absolutely nothing to do.

Being a part-time stock associate is great for some extra income while in school but there is almost no room for progress if you're looking for a career.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Heavy lifting alone, questionable management
Amazing Operations Manager
ADMIN (Former Employee) –  Head Cashier23 February 2018
An ideal company is a community that is looking at its back always. Moving forward together for the betterment of the company so that employees will be more productive and contented. From my previous company, I have learned to maximize my time because after a task is done another task is inline already. You should be able to learn how to manage your time and working with minimum supervision.
Pros
Free tea and coffee in the pantry.
Cons
Long hours and poor delegation of work.
Company with great benefits for FT employees
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2017
As a leader in the industry the company has grown to many locations globally. The brand remains strong in its product assortment due to smart and attentive buying, thus allowing the company to adjust to trends in the market. One will benefit from working with a diverse but deep talent of dedicated and tenured teams. There are many dedicated leaders who foster a collaborative and enjoyable working environment. It is a great company to work for and if one is willing to put in the effort, can start from the bottom as a sales associate to become a store leader in the biggest market in the country. Perhaps one of the most challenging and enduring parts of the job would be the immense pressure to flip the store as visual changes come due. As a leader, one must be planful about budgeting the payroll and leveraging associates' availability to be able to execute the flip which may range from minor changes and shifts of the floor to a complete change store-wide.
Pros
Salaried managers qualify for a bonus program and generous employee discount and benefits
Cons
Mall locations often mean very long hours of operation
hard
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 September 2017
the job gets extremely hard when you are the only stock associate and the store gets busy, you are literally running up and down the stairs. The sales associates have no pateints
Fun place to work, but high pressure to sell
Design Studio Specialist/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary30 August 2017
I would rather be employed as an Interior Designer, not a sales person. I feel that even though we are called Design Studio Specialists, we are basically just Sales People.

Also, very little to no training provided - People in Managerial positions should not be managers. Very poor communication, and
staff are treated like children on many occasions.

Very high expectation to sell, which creates a toxic competitive environment that was not there previously.

Poor pay, poor management, poor training, poor communication and follow-up.
Great place to work with good management
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 June 2017
Fun place to work. Management team is well put together. From the head manager to the supervisors they all care thoroughly for their employees. Always making sure that we were doing our jobs but mostly making sure we were doing alright. They were never shy to lend a helping hand. I would highly recommend working at this location.
Pros
team orientated, good management, store was in a mall
Cons
louzy coworkers, small space
Not what it used to be
Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 June 2017
Pottery Barn in Canada is the ugly stepsister to stores in the USA. The atmosphere has changed for the worse. Stores got rid of all the staff who know the product. Used to be amazing but they cut back everything little by little. Pay is all over place. Someone who starts after you will make more money with less experience. No bonuses. No benefits. NO FUN.

The only perk to working at Pottery Barn is the discount and even that's all over the place. It's 40% off regular price merchandise and 20% off sale items. If the item is on promotion or in the "flea market" section they won't let you buy it unless it's charged at regular price. Better off getting your friends to come in and buy it for you beacause regular public get better deals than store associates. So much for your 1 perk.

Still want to work for this retail group? Go up the street to West Elm or Williams Sonoma...they will treat you better.
Pros
Other store associates are pretty nice
Cons
Rude manager. Weird inconsistent store rules
Hard to say something nice about store
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 May 2017
They hired a bunch of staff and a week later they fired them and cut everyone's hours.
Expect to be pushed by managers to make unrealistic sales targets but not given any product knowledge training. Low hourly pay, no commission, no rewards, no benefits. The absolute worst sales culture of any place I've worked at High staff turnover.
Common to have half of cash registers broken.
Pros
Free donuts sometimes
Cons
Inconsistent hours. Low pay and no commission despite pressure to meet targets.
Pottery Barn
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 April 2017
A beautiful product to stand behind and sell, however logistics in international markets are challenging. Work life balance is a challenge and salary isn't as competitive as you might think.
co-workers are friendly and supportive, the manager is not
Cashier/Stock/Sales (Former Employee) –  Chinook center22 March 2017
I was lead to believe that I would stay on past seasonal however I learned through a supervisor in casual conversation that I was written out of the schedule and let go. There was no official word from the manager. This was demeaning and disrespectful. Additionally through the month leading up to this event my job would change sporadically with no notice or communication before or after. I would go into work dressed business casual (as expected of me) to do the job I've been accustomed too for months only to be told I was working in stock now, I was given a work shirt to change into which i had to do in the bathroom as I was given not even a minute of notice. Communication from the manager was poor and insincere.
Pros
They gave me a cupcake on my birthday
Cons
Horrible communication
Great Company
Sales Associate/ Design Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 February 2017
Easy going management, fun work environment if you love kids. Spent most of the day helping mothers and kids chose furniture and decor for their bedrooms or playrooms.
Pros
great discount, fun work environment
Cons
Bossy, demanding parents who expect to always get what they want
Productive and customer focussed.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
A typical day at work consists of managing staff, providing world class service and driving sales. The hardest part of the job is managing payroll. The best part is the staff.
Pottery Barn is an amazing place to work
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 October 2016
I worked with a fantastic group of people! The managers all tried to keep positive, even we were having a rough day. I worked in stock so I didn't have to be on the sales floor too much unless I was needed for something like a carry-out, but when I was on the floor, I would always get smiles from them and they would ask how i was doing.

A lot of the time people would bring in snacks for everyone! They would even have little prizes for sales associates if they sold a certain amount, like a gift card to somewhere, out of the managers own pockets, as incentive.

I loved this job and I wouldn't have quit but I had to considering life events.
Pros
Big discount, snacks sometimes
Cons
once in a while crabby customers