Pottery Barn

Pottery Barn Employee Reviews

Great place for part time work, flexible, fun. Only issue I saw is they were constantly changing managers. Very fun place to work and discounts are amazing.
Pros
Fun part time work
Cons
Changing managers monthly
Gorgeous environment and supportive management both for training and concern for your well-being. Consistently given information relevant to each day in a morning meeting which helps to be informed and productive. Management is consistently available when assistance is needed. Very supportive and rewarding to those working hard.
When I was there management was horrible and highly unprofessional. I got verbally, emotionally, and mentally abused there. The managers would talk badly about their employees and berate them, they would also talk badly about each other and it was such an angry environment. They would get upset over every single thing. With the exception of one manager who was fair and great and level headed. The turnover rate was incredibly high and I was only there for a few months and 7 people left during my time there. That's right, 7!!! I should have taken that as a sign to leave. Their system works in a way where if you sell more, then you are given more hours and this breeds jealousy as is taught in business school. The people I worked with were great until they started talking stabbing you in the back thanks to the managers who spoke badly about their employees to other employees. All of these problems start at corporate, because when disease attacks the root of a tree, at some point it will reach the leaves. My friend got an interview at west elm (because it's part of the williams sonoma brand) and I told her to stay FAR, FAR away. When she got to the interview she could then see what I was talking about. These problems also occur when people turn a blind eye to abuse. I don't see williams sonoma lasting very long in this world. People may like the product but that helps to soothe over what happens behind the doors. And the company idn't going to las if it's an absolutely horrid place to work at. This was the worst job I had ever had in my life. If I could give this whole experience - more...
I find it hard to believe the Calgary management and DM can become so self absorbed in their rolls that their personalities dictate that. It’s just furniture people!
Pros
Other then management friendly staff.
Cons
Nasty atmosphere! High turn over.
Store Manager demeaning & condescending If you are not fitting in with their culture they will collaborate with district & HR to have you terminated.
Pros
Full Time
Cons
Zero People Management
Honestly, I enjoyed working here because of the people! Head office is terrible though... Lousy pay, no benefits. Over priced furniture. Head office sucks
I started as a coop student in this company and was later on hired by the manager due to satisfying performances. Overall, I learned a lot in terms of designing areas and decorating walls using different products
Cons
No benefits, management is terrible
It was a fun gig. Does not pay much, but you work with other team members in a small group. Build a small bond and you do lots of physical work. If the manager wasn't so crazy and obsessed with micromanagement then it would be more tolerable. Overall, it is decent.
Pros
Physical Work, Fairly carefree.
Cons
Awful management, Micromanagement, Utter Hypocrisy and Insanity.
Part of being on the Visual team is all about being about to stay on top of tasks and keeping the store updated as per changes made by head office. Must be able to merchandise product in a way that makes the store look great and shoppers more keen on purchasing. It is important to learn how to work as a team as there are many working gears in the business with the behind the scenes team and the sales team. You must be able to adapt to every situation as it is very busy and all guests have different needs. Product knowledge is key, as you're selling high quality, expensive products, you must know the answers to every guests questions.
-You will be busy all day - Not a place where you get bored! - Fun co-workers. - It is an environment were there are lots of children - you MUST have patience.
Pros
You get to be creative
Cons
Spoiled Customers
this company allows you to grow in your career- they have instilled strong servant leadership competencies and empower their leaders to be true shop keepers.
Bon environnement de travail et personnel attentionné
Fun co workers, fun employers, great management, job is fun and fair, minimal contact with customers, no windows which is a negative, but the people make it worth it.
Busy store specially during Christmas time. Employees are friendly and helpful, great team work. Mangers have so much to worry about there not always there but they do their best. Always clean and amazing decoration.
When its busy you will be running around for the whole shift and hauling around 100-200+ lbs boxes. However it balances out when there's absolutely nothing to do. Being a part-time stock associate is great for some extra income while in school but there is almost no room for progress if you're looking for a career.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Heavy lifting alone, questionable management
An ideal company is a community that is looking at its back always. Moving forward together for the betterment of the company so that employees will be more productive and contented. From my previous company, I have learned to maximize my time because after a task is done another task is inline already. You should be able to learn how to manage your time and working with minimum supervision.
Pros
Free tea and coffee in the pantry.
Cons
Long hours and poor delegation of work.
As a leader in the industry the company has grown to many locations globally. The brand remains strong in its product assortment due to smart and attentive buying, thus allowing the company to adjust to trends in the market. One will benefit from working with a diverse but deep talent of dedicated and tenured teams. There are many dedicated leaders who foster a collaborative and enjoyable working environment. It is a great company to work for and if one is willing to put in the effort, can start from the bottom as a sales associate to become a store leader in the biggest market in the country. Perhaps one of the most challenging and enduring parts of the job would be the immense pressure to flip the store as visual changes come due. As a leader, one must be planful about budgeting the payroll and leveraging associates' availability to be able to execute the flip which may range from minor changes and shifts of the floor to a complete change store-wide.
Pros
Salaried managers qualify for a bonus program and generous employee discount and benefits
Cons
Mall locations often mean very long hours of operation
the job gets extremely hard when you are the only stock associate and the store gets busy, you are literally running up and down the stairs. The sales associates have no pateints
I would rather be employed as an Interior Designer, not a sales person. I feel that even though we are called Design Studio Specialists, we are basically just Sales People. Also, very little to no training provided - People in Managerial positions should not be managers. Very poor communication, and staff are treated like children on many occasions. Very high expectation to sell, which creates a toxic competitive environment that was not there previously. Poor pay, poor management, poor training, poor communication and follow-up.
Fun place to work. Management team is well put together. From the head manager to the supervisors they all care thoroughly for their employees. Always making sure that we were doing our jobs but mostly making sure we were doing alright. They were never shy to lend a helping hand. I would highly recommend working at this location.
Pros
team orientated, good management, store was in a mall
Cons
louzy coworkers, small space
Pottery Barn in Canada is the ugly stepsister to stores in the USA. The atmosphere has changed for the worse. Stores got rid of all the staff who know the product. Used to be amazing but they cut back everything little by little. Pay is all over place. Someone who starts after you will make more money with less experience. No bonuses. No benefits. NO FUN. The only perk to working at Pottery Barn is the discount and even that's all over the place. It's 40% off regular price merchandise and 20% off sale items. If the item is on promotion or in the "flea market" section they won't let you buy it unless it's charged at regular price. Better off getting your friends to come in and buy it for you beacause regular public get better deals than store associates. So much for your 1 perk. Still want to work for this retail group? Go up the street to West Elm or Williams Sonoma...they will treat you better.
Pros
Other store associates are pretty nice
Cons
Rude manager. Weird inconsistent store rules
  1. Employee reviews