Postmedia Network Inc. Employee Reviews

Great learning curve
Regional Director (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 January 2019
9 years in a very fast paced always changing industry, working closely with all types of people and companies and working with amazing cities. I hope in the future I can find a company that will give what I learned now and be able to give into the future.
Pros
flexable timelines for family
Cons
more work less staff
Plenty of opportunities to design here. I love designing.
Computer Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON29 January 2019
The best part of working here is that I am able to Design many ads per day. Design programs used are industry standard. Job changes often due to industry changing. Technology used is industry standard.
Pros
steady work
Cons
Too much work outsourced.
Family like culture.
Senior Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 January 2019
A typical day at work at Postmedia, would include getting to work on time, reviewing my daily responsibilities and what the workload would be like and managing my day around it. I learned many things while working at Postmedia but the most important would be multitasking, at the Computer Operator position it was extremely important to multitask as the workload was sometimes really light and sometimes really heavy with multiple important tasks going at the same time. Management was most often easy to deal with as it was family first culture, and employees were treated with dignity and respect. Workplace culture at Postmedia was great, everybody helped each other and treated everyone as a family member. The hardest part of the job was when we would have emergencies that would threaten the morning papers going out, but it was also the most rewarding when you would work through failing systems and meet deadlines. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with as they became family too me, it was definitely hard to say good-bye after so many years.
Pros
Family like culture
Cons
Salaries not up too industry standards.
One of the best jobs
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  MontrĂ©al, QC2 October 2018
Loved the management team
great team work
flexible hours you can work from home or go in the office
good support and training
great overall company culture
Work & Like balance
Senior Technical Specialist - Network (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 August 2018
Its great company to work, Great place to have balanced work and life. Very supportive colleagues, no cheap politics. Updated with latest technologies.
Pros
supportive work environment
Cons
Company is downsizing
Review
Customer service & client liaison (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 August 2018
This review is required to be filled out. The company under review provides news stories as print products called newspapers that are distributed daily.
Stress free workplace with little chance for growth
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 July 2018
The work environment is enjoyable and is stress free with good support for education. However there is very little opportunity for upward movement due to tight financial situation.
Pros
Support
Cons
Financially unstable
Emploi correct, pas trop demandant
Coordonnatrice (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 June 2018
Beaucoup de coupures, l'environnement n'est plus pareil.
have been a perfect place to retire if only this industry is not dying.
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 April 2018
Postmedia is one of the best company I worked for. The culture, the benefits, job and salary is beyond what I expected before I worked for them. It would have been a perfect place to retire if only this industry is not dying.
Pros
culture, the benefits, job, salary
Cons
Dying industry
A company that cares little about its employees or its customers
Writer/Online Editor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 April 2018
Postmedia is Canada's largest news media chain, and also perhaps the one least interested in serving its stated purpose of informing the public through high-quality journalism. In recent years, it has bought dozens of local news publications, shut many of them down, downsized many others, and centralized editorial control over most. Some major Canadian markets (Calgary and Edmonton, Vancouver, Ottawa) now only have Postmedia daily newspapers, and many of those now share their newsrooms. Content is largely shared network-wide with fewer and fewer exceptions. Local and/or investigative reporting is next to nonexistent and upper management has frequently interfered with editorial boards in the service of endorsing Conservative politicians during elections.

On a personal level, there's very little care for career advancement. Top execs are largely disinterested in the concerns of the rank-and-file, few of whom are either rewarded for good work or called out for the opposite. Few opportunities for advancement or salary negotiation exist. When I was there, a merit increase program was eventually taken over by upper management and divvied out without any input from managers.

All the while, there was ongoing anxiety about the company's future. Each quarterly report was worse than the previous one, except when the losses were offset by "savings" (layoffs). Morale was low for years, breeding an employee culture that was at once fatalistic and cynical, while still trying to maintain enough passion and pride to continue to produce good work (which many still did).
Pros
Still a good opportunity to build a portfolio of published work and have it read by large audiences
Cons
Negative company culture, questionable long-term prospects on both personal and company-wide scale
good company
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Toronto On25 March 2018
Had alot of fun working hear and met some great people. Have kept in touch with people and made friends for life. Great work culture and had a blast working downtown.
My favourite company but the industry is dying
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 March 2018
I love Postmedia. I love the benefits, salary, the people around me and my job. This is where I wanted to retire but the industry is dying and unfortunately I got laid off. I am not mad at Postmedia. It is what it is. its not their fault. Its the reality that newspaper is a dying industry.

I wish Postmedia the best and hopefully they recover.
Pros
Good people, competitive salary, good benefits, good boss
Cons
Dying industry
I worked for PES a long time and learned almost every position.
Editorial Assistant/Paginator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 February 2018
I enjoyed working in Newspapers - especially when we published a daily commuter paper. It was a relaxed and open complex environment. The last few years though there was no encouragement to work any harder or learn new tasks and management changed a few times. The company downsized due to a shift in the industry to more digital news.
Lots of Potential
Multimedia Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON7 February 2018
The company was great to work for but seemed to be behind the 8-ball when it came to keeping up with current trends. Lots of training was given, great opportunities for work-life balance.
Workplace that promotes entrepreneurial spirit
Senior National Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 January 2018
Workplace that encourages new ideas. Rewards revenue-generating ideas and allows individuals to work independently. Invests in sales training and brings in excellent sales coaches.
Pros
Generous bonuses
Cons
Constant changeover in mid-managers.
Confused and misdirected management
Reporter/Editor (Current Employee) –  London, ON25 January 2018
Parent company in financial peril and it produces unending pressure on local level management, which for the most part, has not responded well. Recent flight of talent and more waiting for the door to open to severance. Talent on the frontlines but mismanaged.
National Sales
National Sales (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 November 2017
Postmedia has a decent work / life balance with a dynamic changing environment, due to the disruption in the media landscape in Canada. One can learn a lot about the media world and grow their skills if they choose to.
Good people, however the industry is not doing well.
Pension and Benefits Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 October 2017
Good company, a lot of downsizing due to the newspaper industry not doing well. A lot of good people have lost jobs and has left the company with a very poor morale with the employees that remain.
Pros
Decent Salaries and wonderful people.
Cons
Downsizing
nice
Art Director/Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 July 2017
great place to work, now office moved to toronto. Designing pages for canada wide newspapers. Victoria, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Toronto National Post, Halifax.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Company too political but skilled employees
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 July 2017
Too much politics. Talented workforce but management does not take care of the employees. No salary increments or appreciation. Benefits doesn't help the employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Postmedia Network Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.