posAbilities Association of British Columbia

posAbilities Association of British Columbia Employee Reviews

A great place to help people who cant help themselves. Very satisfying, you are the eyes and ears of people you care for. i work with those who are non verbal and autistic.
Pay is low, expectations high with little training, management pretends that they care, but ultimately are protecting themselves and will blame employees over taking responsibility on their own. Do not work here, you will not be valued and will definitely have to work a second job.
Pros
Free dinners at some ppaces
Cons
Stressful, bad pay
Work is slow paced, pay is better than in a facility. Person served are great, they challenge you everyday. I work in different houses which I prefer cause in this way I challenge myself more and I don’t get bored.
its very satisfying and rewarding to help people with autism and other mental health struggles. If one is relational and cares to give, then this is the job for you. If you want to make money look elsewhere.
The clients are really at the centre of care. The Holistic care is really taken into account and the client is given the best possible life. I find at the care home I worked at it wasn't just a policy to provide Holistic care it was followed.
If you enjoy going to work to truly make a difference in the community and having variety in your job, then you will love working for posAbilities. It's not easy to please everyone but this organization goes out of their way to ensure all staff is heard about what's working and what's not. A typical day at the employment service can look like, meeting with individuals to explore their interests, skills, and abilities. Creating resumes, doing mock interviews, exploring job opportunities and supporting someone at their job. Its a lot of juggling but if you like variety, problem-solving and assisting someone to have purpose in their day, and the job they always wanted then you will love working at posAbilities Employment Service. We have a relaxed but professional and supportive staff team.
Pros
Free Yoga
As a long term employee for almost 20 years, I’ve had the opportunity to work in different sevice streams of posAbilities (ie. community inclusion, life skills, residential) and in different positions., prog locations. There is opportunity for advancement if staff build their skills, and communicate their career development goals. I find supporting persons served to be actively involved in their day, build skills/ community connections, and try new things rewarding both for them & myself. Management truely cares about persons served and staff, are willing to listen and work collaboratively to provide the best.
Pros
Opportunity to impact lives of others, supportive team environment
Cons
Wage tied to collective aggreement; process of wage increases
posAbilities is one of the best community living organizations i have worked for. The culture is positive and the focus is on person served. The focus on person centered thinking is what attracts me to the organization. I enjoy working with my team members and enjoy the emphasis on working as a team.
Pros
flexibility, ability to be creative, positive culture, person centered, lots of choices where to work
Cons
the health benefit plan is good but could be improved.
Staff is welcoming and work place is inclusive of people with all abilities. Managers are very supportive of staff especially on wellness initatives. They promotes health work/life balance, even have yoga classes at the head office!
Pros
great wellness programs, inclusive work enviornment
I spent a good portion at PosAbilities, this career was my family. I received on job training and advancement. There was one year, where they redesigned middle management, and this was challenging for me, however I believe the company overall is outstanding. There are some wonderful directors and staff still within the company.
Imagine a workplace where the management longs to conspire with brown-nosing line staff, and pits staff against each other like dog fights. Do you like gossip and constant drama? If so, you may have found what you're looking for. A place where you're treated like a slave, bullied, insulted, and infantilized. The entire image of the company is an illusion to attract new potential contracts. No care in the world about the actual clients.
Pros
The 'pros' are working with some wonderful people (the clients).
Cons
Zero job security. Certain team managers are misogynistic, prejudiced, use intimidation tactics, and abuse their positions. Requests to improve lives of persons served get blatantly neglected and passed off. There are some genuinely wonderful people employed here, but they're drowning in a sea of poor management and disorganized houses. If you have any self-worth don't bother applying, because watching the people you care about/for have their quality of life diminished over political and bureaucratic nonsense, will strip you of your love of the job.
Pros
Decent salary
Cons
Everything else.
The company encourages you to ask questions. There is also a lot of community environment and inclusion. You are also able to suggest potential outing for person served
Pros
Person served
Typical day at work for myself is I never know what to expect. Anything from staffing changes to incidents and equipment not working are typical of the place I am working.
Pros
Easy to get to
Cons
Complex problems
Unprofessional management that is not trained for their job. Gross negligence in this company. A judgemental group of folks in management that are way more interested in their ego and what power they think they have than the caring for the people "below" them.
I am hard working and good at team worker, I care so much about the holistic health of my clients. I obey the rules and regulations of my work place.
Pros
I send time with my clients
Cons
there is no much work to do some times.
Each work day is different. At day program, I usually start out by reading the comm. book and greeting individuals as they come in. We tend to toileting needs and generally go on an outing. I often help people to have their lunch. While we are out, I encourage clients to participate in whatever activity we are doing. If we are at day program all day, I'll assist folks with crafts, reading, music, playing games etc. I've learned to ask for help instead of taking on too much work. Management is very approachable and easy to get a hold of. My co-workers are generally very compassionate and helpful to clients and staff. The hardest part of the job is having people not engage in certain activities because of a lack of funding or accessibility. I really enjoy celebrating successes with clients!
Every day is different, as it often depends if the client is having a good day, this will determine what activities will be scheduled for that days outing. Management and co-workers are very supportive. Hardest part of the job is not always having enough time to fit in everything that you hope to do in a shift. Most enjoyable part of the job is getting to support individuals who otherwise would not be able to take part in the community. The job is very rewarding indeed.
Pros
get to spend time out in the community
Cons
long shifts
It was a pleasure working for PosAbilities. I was very fortunate to grow along with the Supported living Network.We supported PWD individuals to continue to live independatly in the community.Great Job PosAbilities formally MAPCL.
Pros
paid employees what they were worth, flexable work schedule
Cons
administration issues