PNR RailWorks

PNR RailWorks Employee Reviews

Canada40 reviews
You are not treated the best, just a number for most of the employees. I was lucky to work with just a select few guys as mechanics and we had a lot more freedom
Not many leaders left. Was at one time the company where all wanted to be. Not anymore very unfortunate. U.S. leader stepped in to manage and ruined the place. Not sure what is left to save. All the key people are still leaving and they are leaving right across Canada. Hiring people with zero rail experience is not a good way to grow in a strong market. Unless you have 20 years to rebuild . They should just close the track office at the rate there going with values and respect for employees. To bad they had many good people at one time.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
No values left all based on lies and smoke
This job was okay for short term. I did not feel like I was apart of the team or like there was room for growth. I worked with people that were across the country, so communication was sometimes a barrier. The crews that I worked with made work enjoyable.
Very poor management team. They treat their employees horrible. Very abusive!!. Would not recommend this company to anyone. Although people don't quit bad companies they quit bad management. I've never seen such abuse of power in all my years working. No regard for their field staff.
Pros
There are no pros with this company
Cons
They promote people who are not Qualified
Work was varied, mostly troubleshooting and repairing construction and railway maintenance equipment. Work was logged using a computer tracking system.
Used to be a Great Company/ Guelph construction side falling apart. Zero respect for any experienced people and next to no knowledge left. You think someone in USA would notice the turn over and wonder hmmm wonder why?
Pros
It's a job nothing more
Cons
Management team poor
productive, outside work year round so must be able to handle weather shifts on the daily cold wet hot dry, besides that its hard work but good pay
Signals & Communications division in Guelph is a great division to work for. Management is approachable and appreciate a job well done. Co-workers are amazing - friendly - helpful - I enjoy coming to work every day.
Pros
Office work environment
Overall the experience was great.I was given the opportunity to take-on task above job level, I also had many opportunities to attend training. Excellent working environment. Top notch management, always there when assistance was required.
The Guelph Signals construction group are a great group, (family). They work together to help each other out with challenges on their projects. The field work force are very passionate about their craft and take great pride in the quality of work. The operations team are efficient and tend to promote positive ideas with the client to successfully complete a project.

I would highly recommend this group as a first choice for furthering your career or starting a new one.
Pros
The employees work together to successfully complete all challenges
Cons
RRSP plan could be better
I learned many skills from my time at PNR Railworks such as time management, professionalism, management skills, and was a friendly place to work.
10 hour days checking machine before operation, job briefing. learned about signals and communications on the rail way. management wasn't the greatest they would give training to employees and not pay them for what they are qualified at. a lot of the co workers were great helping learn along the way and teaching open to questions you have. staying away from home can be hard for 8 days and being laid off for so long. working with friendly people always is the best for me by far.
Pros
food bonus, benefits, decent pay when all is included, boot allowance
Cons
laid off for over 4 months, management doesnt want to pay employees what they are qualified for.
Awesome Co-workers and great learning athmosphere for anyone who is interested in the railway. Great place to advance in project management.
The pay and compensation package here isn't bad but the job culture is horrible.

The Upper Management at this company are controlling and condescending and make the work environment very stressful for those working under them, as such there is a high turnover rate

The work/life balance here isn't too great either as there is a fair amount of on-call involved which makes it difficult to have a social life.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Job Culture, Management, On call, Rotating Shifts
I have learned a great deal about the railway construction industry, something I was completely unfamiliar with when I accepted the position and in doing so I have had the pleasure of working alongside some extremely talented and brilliant colleagues. There is a decent amount of politics, employee turnover and organizational downsizing in some areas, all to be expected in such a project/construction based US company. PNR is bottom-line results oriented therefore a high expectation to perform with maximum output, minimal error and the least amount of overhead. Understandably there is little down time but workdays go by VERY quickly. There truly are some really great people at PNR with abundant experience, skills and knowledge. There is also some great mentoring and support, especially for the project teams and PM's but don't expect a lot of hand holding.
Pros
Occasional in office lunches and some nice people
Cons
Not a lot of work/life balance or flexibility in admin roles
Good place to work until the "Americans" came over joe can't keep track of his own lies and they just don't have the common sense to listen to anything... Great place to take advantage and rapė them for money.
Pros
They company is stupíd
Cons
The people are stupìd
Railway Signalman, look after all aspects of all electrical use and control, for crossing control for road, public and train safety, but also the understanding of what and how the railroad utilizes electrical energy.
PNR as a contractor looks after all points of ground installations and up to job completion, but they also maintaining personnel to ensure the safe usage of the rail by any type of passenger or freight.
Pros
travel, always learning, decent pay, benefits
Cons
away from home, miss out on family times and yearly events
I am part of the Signals and Communications department. We contract to all the major railway companies, such as CN, CP, GO, Via, etc; performing most installations and upgrades. We work on the communication aspect of the railway, including cabling, (underground or buried), signal masts and bridges, bungalows, (the brains of all communication). The nature of the job means that we are outdoors throughout the year and must adapt to changing conditions whether it be climate, location or job requirements, (tasks).

My duties include delivering equipment and supplies to the job site, and many times placing items with the crane. I also float mini-excavators and back hoes. When not driving I assist the crew with Installation.
got into work, walked the edge of the yard to make sure nobody was in there at night, sorted wooden ties,break,sorting metal scrap piles (which was the hardest of the work), lunch,loading/banding wooden tires ( most enjoyable part of the day),break, then clean up.
Pros
3 breaks a day, and good pay
Cons
long hard days, it was very hot.
• Operate front-end loaders to load and off load tractor trailers of railway material, such as rail, ties, switch panels, etc.
• Distribute and layout material in accordance with foremen blueprints.

• Operate several types of rail-mounted heavy equipment, such as tamping machines, brooms, graders, and ballast cleaning machines to tamp ballast beneath and between ties, to clean tracks, to clean and redistribute ballast, and to grade and level ballast on railroad tracks

• Keep daily Inspection and Maintenance log, lubricate machines, change oil, and fill hydraulic reservoirs to specified levels.

• Assistant ground crew with such tasks as, bolting, drilling and cutting rail. Spiking and gauging rail safely into place.