Pleasant Solutions

Canada22 reviews

Clear
2.8Pay & benefits

timemanagementworkprojectpeoplecompanypleasantplace

Great place to work. Flat organization structure.

Great place to work. Flat organization structure. You work alongside some of the most intelligent people. If you enjoy intellectual conversations then this is the place for you.

Compassionate Ownership

I experienced a number of personal difficulties during my time at Pleasant. Both the company and the ownership were incredibly gracious, understanding, and accommodating during that time. For that, I'm truly grateful and wish them nothing but the best.

Insights into Pleasant Solutions

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Energizing work tasks

Unpleasant

Low salary. You are expected to quit after a while. You will not get an annual review or a raise unless you ambush the CEO. If you try to schedule it properly, without ambushing, it will get moved back months and may never happen. I was informed from someone in headquarters that it took multiple months for someone over there to get their annual employee review. In 2 years, I haven't had one. Different project managers and leaders have different styles of management. It can be very jarring having to mentally switch between the different ways project managers try to "lead." Especially if you stay for more than a year and you are on 3-4 projects at once. In 2 years, half of the project managers I worked with were decent, the other half were not. Some of them need to have basic things explained to them over and over again. Many people I have spoken to understand just how bad things are, but everyone is either too scared to say anything to the CEO or they don't feel they will be listened to. Everything is compartmentalized, so that developers are as out of the loop as possible. Regardless of whatever they told you, truly interesting projects come a few times a year, and you will likely not be chosen to be on the team. Everything is timed, and every piece of code is reviewed. Because everyone is on multiple projects, you could wait days for your code to be reviewed by the reviewer because he is doing something else. That could result in you having nothing to time. Every new developer in my office has no clue who their direct boss is. When this satellite office opened, we speculated -

Pros

Good work-life balance, Somewhat interesting projects if you're lucky enough to be chosen for that specific team, The other developers are mostly nice.

Cons

Low salary, Everything else

Variety of Projects and Technologies

In my time at Pleasant I've been exposed to a variety of different technologies, many of them cutting edge. I've had the opportunity to work with some very bright and talented developers. I've learned more in my year at Pleasant than I did in the latter half of the almost decade I spent at my last job.

Flexible and Supportive

Pleasant Solutions has been great to work for. There is an amazing team of friendly and smart people. The schedule is flexible which is very nice. I never have to worry about being late if I am running behind in the morning. Management supports a healthy work life balance. They have have made me feel very valued as an employee. I can tell that management cares about making Pleasant a great place to work. I would recommend working at Pleasant Solutions to friends or family.

the majority of people are positive

I was not certain about accepting a job (they offered) given the reviews I saw here... it took me less than half a day to realize that the relatively small number of reviews here relative to the large number of employees in the company was for a reason. This place has a lot of happy employees and I'm definitely one of them. All the work I do is meaningful and I get to shine at what I'm best at rather than doing low importance maintenance stuff. In short, the things I do matter. Everyone here is very friendly... plus I get an upbeat vibe from almost everyone here, they care about their job as much as I do and it shows.

Pros

the people and the projects, quiet environment, fun stuff, people care

Cons

I wish offices were each a bit bigger

Lots of potential but poorly executed, great coworkers are overshadowed by poor management

A recent security breach that management chose to withhold from employees has reinforced that their delusions of infallibility hold back what could otherwise be a great place to work. Roughly five months after the fact, taking no responsibility for the breach of their internal systems, management reluctantly informed former employees of the potential that their personal information, kept on hand long after the cessation of their employment had been compromised. As a previous review mentioned, the nit-picky, big-brother-esque work timing policies ensure that most employees will need to be in the office 45-50hrs per week in order to 'clock' the glibly-called 'only 37hrs' per week of timed productivity. Anything less will result in disciplinary action, but anything additional has no reward whatsoever. Benefits are next to non-existent, besides a often un-staffed massage therapist benefit that is often far more trouble than it is work, and can result in disciplinary action if their poorly written and oddly-implemented policies surrounding the 'massage benefit' are not followed precisely. As for salaries, the developers are typically underpaid compared to industry standards and have to work for free on "crunch time" in addition to the already-long hours when projects are behind, or over budget.

Pros

Flexible hours, great coworkers, interesting projects

Cons

Toxic work environment, malicious policies and lackluster management

Great staff. Management leaves a lot to be desired.

You end up working between 9 and 10 hours to clock 7.5 Bathroom breaks are on your own time Be prepared for spontaneous timer checks by the owner Only benefits are a sometimes stocked kitchen and a monthly massage You will be asked to 'donate time' (yes, free time on top of working long hours to clock your necessary 37 hours a week) when projects are in crunch time Salaries are below industry average Atmosphere of secrecy and fear from management Turn over seems high - people leaving and being let go Work is interesting - neat projects Co-workers (developers, sales team, BAs) are great people

Pros

Free food, massage, interesting work, good co-workers

Cons

Long hours, no real benefits, toxic atmosphere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pleasant Solutions. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement