Pleasant Solutions Employee Reviews

Thrilled to work in a Diverse, Positive, Supportive Environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 November 2019
- I'm really enjoying Pleasant, and have been here while, and have learned how the business and culture operates.

- Pleasant Solutions is diverse, a "rapid growth IT company", fast-moving flexible, with a start-up business mindset.

- Day-to-day I've found there are new and interesting challenges to tackle, usually fast-paced, new technologies, and often, multiple projects and many tasks to handle.

- I've been able to dig deep into my industry/domains, learn new market machinations and niches that I can now better understand, and comprehend additional factors needed for a strong, growing company

- It's a positive environment where I see that employees own their work and expand their skills in a variety of areas.

- Since employees are busy, I believe HR concerns are probably a lot less, with minimized drama or politics. That's a huge plus when coming from other work-places including the public sector.

- However, I've found management to also be very supportive and flexible, to a degree I haven't experienced in other private / public companies.

- I've been often fascinated to learn from the different skill-sets within the business, because of the breadth and depth that the company goes to, to compete in complex challenges, and with speed and efficiencies of business.

Their mascot is the humming bird: fast, efficient, and pleasant.

- I have the feeling that the work-place is safe and accommodating and that employees have a sense of accomplishment.

- There can be some overwhelming thoughts at times when the targets are aggressive and seem very unlikely,
  more... however, management remains understanding

- It is not real if there's never a time where things or people don't "go south" on bad day, but I think that's normal everywhere, and we're able to still able to ask questions, resolve problems, and come to understand and push forward

- It is quite impressive month-to-month to interface with staff and see the work and hear them explain their projects.

- When I listen to the management I see that they are forward thinking for the long-term, which is contrarian to common thinking. I believe they have a strong and very detailed accounting team that provides them with a strong company foundation which will eventually visibly expand in size globally.

- The CEO and the company employees have many innovative market disrupting ideas, successfully delivering internationally. The organization is quite flat and they are still cultivating leadership and supporting an employee-base with an ever-expanding capability.

- I've seen that the company has learned from / moved on from an unfortunate internal breach (publicly documented) which, thankfully, the company was able to catch with external partnerships.

- Now the feeling is relief that this situation was resolved, and I feel much more confident that I am safe and that we're seeing good, higher quality, trust-worthy replacement staff coming in.
Variety of Projects and Technologies
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2019
In my time at Pleasant I've been exposed to a variety of different technologies, many of them cutting edge. I've had the opportunity to work with some very bright and talented developers. I've learned more in my year at Pleasant than I did in the latter half of the almost decade I spent at my last job.
Flexible and Supportive
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 November 2019
Pleasant Solutions has been great to work for. There is an amazing team of friendly and smart people. The schedule is flexible which is very nice. I never have to worry about being late if I am running behind in the morning. Management supports a healthy work life balance. They have have made me feel very valued as an employee. I can tell that management cares about making Pleasant a great place to work.

I would recommend working at Pleasant Solutions to friends or family.
the majority of people are positive
developer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton2 October 2019
I was not certain about accepting a job (they offered) given the reviews I saw here... it took me less than half a day to realize that the relatively small number of reviews here relative to the large number of employees in the company was for a reason.

This place has a lot of happy employees and I'm definitely one of them. All the work I do is meaningful and I get to shine at what I'm best at rather than doing low importance maintenance stuff. In short, the things I do matter.

Everyone here is very friendly... plus I get an upbeat vibe from almost everyone here, they care about their job as much as I do and it shows.
Pros
the people and the projects, quiet environment, fun stuff, people care
Cons
I wish offices were each a bit bigger
Horrible work environment
Project Manager/Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 July 2019
They will ask you to stay late without paying overtime. No workers comp coverage so if someone slips and has to sue, the company will likely go under.
Help me, Tom Cruise.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Office6 March 2019
The culture is one of universal fear and mistrust. Coworkers rarely want to commit more time for social activities since their every second is logged.
Cons
Way too many.
Suicide is Not The Answer
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 July 2018
This place is not recommended.

The pay is below market and there are zero benefits (health, dental, whatever they tell you). They pay you monthly at the end of the month to keep you desperate.

Everything is timed and must be "timed precisely". Bathroom breaks/lunch is not included in the mandatory (and vehemently watched) minimum 37 hours per week "timed" and minimum 41.25 hours per week "on-site". They will demand an answer if you do not meet both of these minimums. It is indeed clocked to the second. This is a stressful place with little trust from management. Project managers will watch their projects' timing very closely and will hound you for their own answers if you go over-time on any issue they deem excessive. This is in spite of some of them lacking any development skills of their own. They are scrutinized by management and therefore scrutinize you.

Development is mainly in C# with little chance for learning. They have several internal projects that are a mess due to the capricious decision-making by the CEO. Recent projects indicate the company has taken on more than it can swallow.

Don't subject yourself to this place. Better offers will come along.
Pros
Desultory snack deliveries
Cons
Low pay, No benefits, Dour managment, Induces torpor
Lots of potential but poorly executed, great coworkers are overshadowed by poor management
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 March 2018
A recent security breach that management chose to withhold from employees has reinforced that their delusions of infallibility hold back what could otherwise be a great place to work. Roughly five months after the fact, taking no responsibility for the breach of their internal systems, management reluctantly informed former employees of the potential that their personal information, kept on hand long after the cessation of their employment had been compromised.

As a previous review mentioned, the nit-picky, big-brother-esque work timing policies ensure that most employees will need to be in the office 45-50hrs per week in order to 'clock' the glibly-called 'only 37hrs' per week of timed productivity. Anything less will result in disciplinary action, but anything additional has no reward whatsoever.

Benefits are next to non-existent, besides a often un-staffed massage therapist benefit that is often far more trouble than it is work, and can result in disciplinary action if their poorly written and oddly-implemented policies surrounding the 'massage benefit' are not followed precisely.

As for salaries, the developers are typically underpaid compared to industry standards and have to work for free on "crunch time" in addition to the already-long hours when projects are behind, or over budget.
Pros
Flexible hours, great coworkers, interesting projects
Cons
Toxic work environment, malicious policies and lackluster management
Great staff. Management leaves a lot to be desired.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 March 2016
You end up working between 9 and 10 hours to clock 7.5
Bathroom breaks are on your own time
Be prepared for spontaneous timer checks by the owner
Only benefits are a sometimes stocked kitchen and a monthly massage
You will be asked to 'donate time' (yes, free time on top of working long hours to clock your necessary 37 hours a week) when projects are in crunch time
Salaries are below industry average
Atmosphere of secrecy and fear from management
Turn over seems high - people leaving and being let go

Work is interesting - neat projects
Co-workers (developers, sales team, BAs) are great people
Pros
Free food, massage, interesting work, good co-workers
Cons
Long hours, no real benefits, toxic atmosphere
Excellent Place to work backed by expert technical minds
Technical Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 July 2015
Pleasant solutions provided a fantastic learning environment given the opportunity to provide a full host of IT solutions for global clients

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pleasant Solutions. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8