Pleasant Solutions

Pleasant Solutions Reviews: Working at Pleasant Solutions

Canada22 reviews

Pleasant Solutions has it's ups and downs like any other company.

Summary: CEO needs to listen to his employees and managers more. From the BA/PM team, the direct manager is FANTASTIC! However, the CEO has a tendency to tunnel vision his ideas (which is his prerogative) but he will spend tens thousands of dollars on something that does not help the customers but won't even consider the overwhelming needs of his employees to help them make their jobs easier. Both the Sales and BA/PM managers are topnotch! But the developer "manager" needs to be someone other than the CEO - who has no time to actually be the dev manager. (This may have been remedied since I left.)

Meat Grinder

Dont expect to enjoy management, at all. This is a good jumping off point for your development career as you wont regret quitting, and management wont really care. management rules like 1984 instead of showing their employees trust and some semblance of decency.

Pros

free snack

Cons

Toxic management, time tracking

You're better than Pleasant Solutions

On paper, they'll offer to what seems like a great job. In execution you will be micromanaged, then ignored, then micromanaged, then likely reprimanded because you can't work properly while being ignored.The CEO is one of the worst bosses I've ever had. He views his employees much the way he views the office furniture, cheap and easily disposable. He will not listen to any criticism or ideas diverging from what he originally plans and considers himself an expert at everything. He'll also expect you to clock out from work to go to bathroom. If you're happy being a yes man with no agency or self respect then this is the job for you

Cons

Great place to work. Flat organization structure.

Great place to work. Flat organization structure. You work alongside some of the most intelligent people. If you enjoy intellectual conversations then this is the place for you.

UNpleasant

If you are considering working for the so-called Pleasant Solutions... I highly advise you to reconsider. This company is a dumpster fire of high-level incompetence, paired with excruciating micro-management, led by a CEO who has no business managing other human beings. The company is shrinking, with a high employee turnover rate and downsizing galore. Most people with any level of expertise or competency are either fired or quit. If you work for Pleasant Solutions, be prepared to have all of your professional expertise minimized. You will be given tasks that are the equivalent of a chicken pressing a lever to receive a piece of corn. You will be given no opportunities for professional growth, and in fact opportunities for growth will be explicitly withheld. If you suggest improvements to any part of the company, you will be ignored, or contradicted, and most likely even reprimanded.The benefits are laughable. Forget about RRSP matching or other corporate perks: instead, you will be given instant noodles and gummy worms in the break room as a form of compensation. If you can retire on gummy worms, then all power to you.Steer clear of this one, friends. It may look tempting at a distance, but I can promise you, you are worth so much more than this. Keep looking, and a much better job opportunity will come along for you. Pleasant Solutions is a dead end road and a completely toxic work environment. You can and will do better.

Pros

Free gummy worms

Cons

The CEO tries to rule with fear and micromanagement

It took some getting use to in the beginning to get familiar with their time tracking system, but I actually like the time tracking system very much as it adds lots of flexibility in managing your work hours(better work and life balance). Management is great especially the CEO, very approachable. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. Lot of unique perks like snacks and massages, etc. I didn’t have prior experience in the position I took which most company requires, and they hired me anyways which I was very grateful for. Also their response to COVID-19 pandemic was very timely and considerate for employees which demonstrate they care about employee health and safety.

Compassionate Ownership

I experienced a number of personal difficulties during my time at Pleasant. Both the company and the ownership were incredibly gracious, understanding, and accommodating during that time. For that, I'm truly grateful and wish them nothing but the best.

Unpleasant

Low salary. You are expected to quit after a while. You will not get an annual review or a raise unless you ambush the CEO. If you try to schedule it properly, without ambushing, it will get moved back months and may never happen. I was informed from someone in headquarters that it took multiple months for someone over there to get their annual employee review. In 2 years, I haven't had one. Different project managers and leaders have different styles of management. It can be very jarring having to mentally switch between the different ways project managers try to "lead." Especially if you stay for more than a year and you are on 3-4 projects at once. In 2 years, half of the project managers I worked with were decent, the other half were not. Some of them need to have basic things explained to them over and over again. Many people I have spoken to understand just how bad things are, but everyone is either too scared to say anything to the CEO or they don't feel they will be listened to. Everything is compartmentalized, so that developers are as out of the loop as possible. Regardless of whatever they told you, truly interesting projects come a few times a year, and you will likely not be chosen to be on the team. Everything is timed, and every piece of code is reviewed. Because everyone is on multiple projects, you could wait days for your code to be reviewed by the reviewer because he is doing something else. That could result in you having nothing to time. Every new developer in my office has no clue who their direct boss is. When this satellite office opened, we speculated -

Pros

Good work-life balance, Somewhat interesting projects if you're lucky enough to be chosen for that specific team, The other developers are mostly nice.

Cons

Low salary, Everything else

Great Place To Work

As a current employee for this company I can say it has been an awesome experience so far. This company provides you with many perks and the atmosphere is amazing. Its basically like a family here.

Fast paced and steadily growing company

Pleasant Solutions is a very fast paced company, with lots of exciting and unique projects available. Staff are also very friendly and sociable and there are often social activities to participate in. We get free food, massages and lots of unique perks that I haven't seen at other companies also.

Pros

Interesting projects, people

Cons

time tracking

I did not have a Pleasant time

Every second of your time must be tracked to a project. Fear and threats are the only way management knows how to lead. Don't get fooled by the sleight of hand -- their policies are as bad as they sound.

Pros

free snacks, modern development process

Cons

high-stress environment, toxic culture, lack of leadership, underwhelming compensation

Thrilled to work in a Diverse, Positive, Supportive Environment

- I'm really enjoying Pleasant, and have been here while, and have learned how the business and culture operates. - Pleasant Solutions is diverse, a "rapid growth IT company", fast-moving flexible, with a start-up business mindset. - Day-to-day I've found there are new and interesting challenges to tackle, usually fast-paced, new technologies, and often, multiple projects and many tasks to handle. - I've been able to dig deep into my industry/domains, learn new market machinations and niches that I can now better understand, and comprehend additional factors needed for a strong, growing company - It's a positive environment where I see that employees own their work and expand their skills in a variety of areas. - Since employees are busy, I believe HR concerns are probably a lot less, with minimized drama or politics. That's a huge plus when coming from other work-places including the public sector. - However, I've found management to also be very supportive and flexible, to a degree I haven't experienced in other private / public companies. - I've been often fascinated to learn from the different skill-sets within the business, because of the breadth and depth that the company goes to, to compete in complex challenges, and with speed and efficiencies of business. Their mascot is the humming bird: fast, efficient, and pleasant. - I have the feeling that the work-place is safe and accommodating and that employees have a sense of accomplishment. - There can be some overwhelming thoughts at times when the targets are aggressive and seem very unlikely, -

Variety of Projects and Technologies

In my time at Pleasant I've been exposed to a variety of different technologies, many of them cutting edge. I've had the opportunity to work with some very bright and talented developers. I've learned more in my year at Pleasant than I did in the latter half of the almost decade I spent at my last job.

Flexible and Supportive

Pleasant Solutions has been great to work for. There is an amazing team of friendly and smart people. The schedule is flexible which is very nice. I never have to worry about being late if I am running behind in the morning. Management supports a healthy work life balance. They have have made me feel very valued as an employee. I can tell that management cares about making Pleasant a great place to work. I would recommend working at Pleasant Solutions to friends or family.

the majority of people are positive

I was not certain about accepting a job (they offered) given the reviews I saw here... it took me less than half a day to realize that the relatively small number of reviews here relative to the large number of employees in the company was for a reason. This place has a lot of happy employees and I'm definitely one of them. All the work I do is meaningful and I get to shine at what I'm best at rather than doing low importance maintenance stuff. In short, the things I do matter. Everyone here is very friendly... plus I get an upbeat vibe from almost everyone here, they care about their job as much as I do and it shows.

Pros

the people and the projects, quiet environment, fun stuff, people care

Cons

I wish offices were each a bit bigger

Horrible work environment

They will ask you to stay late without paying overtime. No workers comp coverage so if someone slips and has to sue, the company will likely go under.

The sweatshop of software development

The projects are interesting, you use the newest tools, there are always people around to help. You can work as independently as you want, or as part of a team. There is always someone who can teach you new things. It's not a bad place to grow your skill-set. However, you get nickle and dimed on your time. You have to bill against a project for it to count towards your weekly hours. So no time for stack overflow, learning, etc. They don't offer benefits either. If I wanted to work as a contractor/consultant, I'd expect to be paid as one. Unfortunately that was not the case. Project management is non-existent. Any social contact is non-billable time, lunch and learns aren't even paid.

Pros

interesting work

Cons

culture, pay

Help me, Tom Cruise.

The culture is one of universal fear and mistrust. Coworkers rarely want to commit more time for social activities since their every second is logged.

Cons

Way too many.

Suicide is Not The Answer

This place is not recommended. The pay is below market and there are zero benefits (health, dental, whatever they tell you). They pay you monthly at the end of the month to keep you desperate. Everything is timed and must be "timed precisely". Bathroom breaks/lunch is not included in the mandatory (and vehemently watched) minimum 37 hours per week "timed" and minimum 41.25 hours per week "on-site". They will demand an answer if you do not meet both of these minimums. It is indeed clocked to the second. This is a stressful place with little trust from management. Project managers will watch their projects' timing very closely and will hound you for their own answers if you go over-time on any issue they deem excessive. This is in spite of some of them lacking any development skills of their own. They are scrutinized by management and therefore scrutinize you. Development is mainly in C# with little chance for learning. They have several internal projects that are a mess due to the capricious decision-making by the CEO. Recent projects indicate the company has taken on more than it can swallow. Don't subject yourself to this place. Better offers will come along.

Pros

Desultory snack deliveries

Cons

Low pay, No benefits, Dour managment, Induces torpor

Lots of potential but poorly executed, great coworkers are overshadowed by poor management

A recent security breach that management chose to withhold from employees has reinforced that their delusions of infallibility hold back what could otherwise be a great place to work. Roughly five months after the fact, taking no responsibility for the breach of their internal systems, management reluctantly informed former employees of the potential that their personal information, kept on hand long after the cessation of their employment had been compromised. As a previous review mentioned, the nit-picky, big-brother-esque work timing policies ensure that most employees will need to be in the office 45-50hrs per week in order to 'clock' the glibly-called 'only 37hrs' per week of timed productivity. Anything less will result in disciplinary action, but anything additional has no reward whatsoever. Benefits are next to non-existent, besides a often un-staffed massage therapist benefit that is often far more trouble than it is work, and can result in disciplinary action if their poorly written and oddly-implemented policies surrounding the 'massage benefit' are not followed precisely. As for salaries, the developers are typically underpaid compared to industry standards and have to work for free on "crunch time" in addition to the already-long hours when projects are behind, or over budget.

Pros

Flexible hours, great coworkers, interesting projects

Cons

Toxic work environment, malicious policies and lackluster management

Great staff. Management leaves a lot to be desired.

You end up working between 9 and 10 hours to clock 7.5 Bathroom breaks are on your own time Be prepared for spontaneous timer checks by the owner Only benefits are a sometimes stocked kitchen and a monthly massage You will be asked to 'donate time' (yes, free time on top of working long hours to clock your necessary 37 hours a week) when projects are in crunch time Salaries are below industry average Atmosphere of secrecy and fear from management Turn over seems high - people leaving and being let go Work is interesting - neat projects Co-workers (developers, sales team, BAs) are great people

Pros

Free food, massage, interesting work, good co-workers

Cons

Long hours, no real benefits, toxic atmosphere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pleasant Solutions. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement