Plato's Closet Employee Reviews

Found 32 reviews matching the search See all 1,213 reviews
Supportive environment and fast paced
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC19 April 2019
You won't ever be bored working here. The team is great, fun and motivated in the day to day tasks. Multi-tasking ability is key here and you can't be a slow mover but if you're motivated and eager to learn, it's a great place to get all kinds of retail experience.
Great Place of Work
Team Leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 April 2019
Depending on the location, there is plenty of room for advancement, and competitive staff discounts! Working in a smaller team (10-15 people) makes for a great work experience, and prevents having too many or too little hours to handle.
Pros
Staff Discounts, Friendly Environment, Interesting Job
Cons
Very fast paced, Can be a physically draining job during busy days/weekends
not a great place to work
Ontario - Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON9 April 2019
long hours, very stressing a lot of pressure, I learned to work hard and give my best foot forward, the management wasn't the greatest. there wasn't really any workplace culture, I got a free water bottle though.
Pros
discounts
Cons
long hours, unfriendly people
Work Experience at Plato's Closet
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 March 2019
Plato's Closet gave me a lot of experience with working with new people, and helped me build up my communication, hard work ethic and customer service. I like helping out the company in as many ways as i can with terms of making the store look more presentable and making sales while doing so. the hardest part of the job was dealing with management. I do not make anything inconvenient for others or anyone. I always make sure everyone's happy and that we're always working as a team. I take my time if a task is being assigned to me and won't rush until it's done properly. I take advice well and apply it to my knowledge to make my work ethic better. Management at Plato's runs unprofessional. At the end of the day, I do my job and I do what needs to get done.
Pros
customer engagement, friendly staff
Cons
unprofessional management
You'll have to have a thick skin to work here
SUPERVISOR/KEY HOLDER (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON26 February 2019
The job itself requires you a lot of times tell the customer something they don't want to hear which causes a lot of conflict. I was a young supervisor and was constantly berated by adult customers. The management often undermined my authority by giving the customer whatever they wanted instead of sticking with company policy.
productive, yet poorly managed by head bosses
Keyholder and Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 December 2018
Employees were never listened to and thoughts and concerns were not taken into consideration. Managers would give unfair hours to employees, as low as 4 hours in a week.

I do not recommend applying here.
Pros
Friendly staff, lots of retail experience
Cons
poor management, lack of care for employees
Bad Work Environment
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB18 December 2018
An every day at work was like just cleaning and stalking clothes, helping customers, going through the buying process and tagging. I learned some management skills and what to do and not to do. Our manager there picked her favorites and stuck to them and was also very bipolar and took that out on the customers. The girls you worked with very clicky, if you didn't drink and party you don't fit in. Hardest part of my job was putting up with management, best part was working with so many different styles clothing.
Very good business and lots of good clothes
Customer Service Representative/Sales (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB24 October 2018
my typical shift would be all around making sure all the store is organized ,putting price tags and helping customers find what they are looking for and give them a great work experience
good place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB7 October 2018
its a good place to work ,the workers were very polite and respectful and the management is good ,i liked dealing with fashionable clothes and getting good deals on them
Pros
no free lunch
Cons
long hours on the weekend
Never a boring day!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON4 October 2018
I’ve been with Plato’s Closet for five years and have enjoyed growing and excelling within the location that I’ve been at. While I understand how stressful retail can be, I enjoy working through the busy periods and thrive at it. Retail is not for everyone. Plus with the added skill of buying clothing from customers (a personal experience for them), it can be difficult to say no to items and to deal with any conflict from that but I feel that the owners at my location have given myself and the rest of the staff the tools we need to explain the buy process to them.
The only downside is that there will always be gossip. Most of the employees are young (15-20) and most are females. While we try our best to stop the gossip and for the most part the cliques, bonds tend to form and from there, staff thinks it’s okay to share everything about their life.
However, even with this, this job has been the one that I’ve been the most successful at and the one that I’ve liked the most. The great team members outweigh the ones that have not worked out, as well as the regulars who know us by name outweigh the ones who threaten to never shop with us again.
Pros
Great teamwork, ownership, hours are available
Cons
Cliques can form, sometimes gossip
Okay
Field Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON21 September 2018
I enjoyed my field placement at Plato's Closet. The staff was friendly, helpful, and patient. The store was also, a creative environment.
A typical day, involved merchandising and helping customers. The holiday seasons such as March Break and Christmas tended to be busier.
The hardest part of the job had nothing to do with the actual job, it was the commute which is why I am applying to The Superstore as it is close to home, in fact, it is within walking distance.
While I was working at Plato's Closet, I learned how to communicate with people in a workplace environment and learned about peoples' likes and dislikes when it to customer service and fashion. This enhanced my abilities to communicate and work with people to achieve the desired results.
Pros
Plato's Closet is a clothing store and I have always had a passion for fashion.
Cons
The commute from Midland to Barrie.
Nice benefits, managers are accommodating.
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON13 August 2018
I enjoyed my time at Plato's. I made interesting connections with other employees, and the managers were responsive when I took on a second job. My main gripe was with the work culture. There were definite cliques within the work-place. The more senior members were given preferential treatment and better hours while everyone else was given slap-dash hours. Some days were very productive and the work-flow made the day go by fast. Meanwhile other days there would be a distinct tension in the air.
Pros
Flexible management
Cons
Clique-based culture.
Fun and challenging environment
Assisstant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON16 July 2018
Different from other retail due to buy process. Challenging and exciting environment. I really appreciate the elevated skills I acquired here. Flexible management and immense room for growth.
Great Place to work
Cashier/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 July 2018
All in all a great place to work. Easy going management, benefits package, very accommodating. The work environment is fast-paced and fun. I would especially recommend this to students.
benefits
Cons
nothing
Great if you likes clothes and gossip
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC24 May 2018
The store is mostly females in high school or early 20's. Very hard to fit in and make friends. A lot of gossip goes on. The program for buying the clothes isn't great either because every employee has a different opinion.
Long days with good pay.
Elbow Dr SW - Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2018
The days seem rather long because the work is a bit tedious in the sense that it is repetitive but otherwise it is alright. The pay is minimum wage and I was paid on time. Because it is a consignment store, there are mountains of clothes almost constantly which can seem rather intimidating, especially when the keyholders and managers are stressed about it. Otherwise, a decent work experience for a first job.
Negative atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 February 2018
My time with Platos Closet was cut short due to a negative atmosphere and rude co-workers. The management was unorganized and did not seem fit to be running a business. When I had given my notice (through email) I was not notified that it had been received or confirmed, I was told to ‘wait for the schedule and see if I’m on it’.
Pros
Platos closet helps reduce clothing waste.
Cons
Immature staff, unorganized management.
fun work place
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 January 2018
I enjoyed the workplace and the environment very much. Did not like the workplace drama that did take place. Also did not like the favoritism. Very much liked the warm, and caring environment.
Pros
discounts on cheap clothes
Cons
Productive place to work at
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON28 December 2017
Plato's Closet was a great place to work for a first-time retailer. The atmosphere was positive and happy. I am thankful for my experience at Plato's Closet, but working at a clothing store wasn't cut out for me.
Pros
Friendly owner, really easy to get along with
Cons
Boring work
Productive and Fun
Floor manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 August 2017
Great Place to work, if your willing to work grown and learn lots. very high energy and fast paced with slower days. Working as a team is great and everyone is nice with some ups and downs.
Pros
Benefits are offered and free lunches during sales
Cons
Managements time managing and team work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Plato's Closet. Our community is ready to answer.