PLASP Child Care Services
Happiness score is 84 out of 100

PLASP Child Care Services: 128 Employee Reviews

Canada128 reviews

childsnackvolunteerprogramactivitykidschoolstaff

Certain collegues were toxic, many were wonderful

Overall, I enjoyed my experience working for PLASP. Kids were very tiring on days but it’s a part of the job. Main thing was to have fun and provide leadership and guidance to children.

Not what it used to be

When I began at this company, it was very family oriented and I felt supported by my superiors and given many opportunities to grow. Upper management has changed drastically in the last year and has created a stressful and toxic work environment. We are expected to be readily available from 7 in the morning to 6 pm while only getting paid part time hours. I’ve gotten many last minute calls to cover a different location and you are not allowed to say no. We are given very little resources to create a quality learning environment. Due to the lack of staff, there is zero consistency for children and families. Head office is very rude to staff and HR has made it very clear that we are nothing but bodies and don’t care about our well being.

Insights into PLASP Child Care Services

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Inclusive work environment

Use to be fun but not anymore

Plasp use to be a fun place to work a few years ago. With several new upper management coming on board, I have experienced changes that have increased my stress level. Not only do they make changes that directly affect staff and by extention our families, they make these changes without even asking us for our opinion or input. Vacation time is one such thing. We are now "forced" to take vacation when they close the centers. Vacation in the summer very expensive, and our lives aren't centered around the times that they have forced us to be off work. Totally unfair to us.I have worked for larger companies that do not do this so I don't understand why we cannot take time off throughout the year. This job is stressful and in between time off is essential for our mental health and sick days aren't always enough to cover mental health days.Additionally, we have no voice. It's a take it or leave it situation which is one reason why the turnover rate is so high now. You can't ignore the people who you rely on to show up daily. I loved worked here in the beginning but no so much anymore. Upper management have no idea what it is like being in the rooms with the kids so I guess they don't feel our pain.Scope for advancement is very difficult too. On the plus side, there are some awesome staff and kids at this company who make going into work worthwhile.

A good workplace but a lot of paper work

Other than too much paperwork everyday, everything else was great at Plasp. The hours you get are not a lot, it is basically a part time job with good pay. Almost 5 hours everyday, which kinda sucked because you whole day gets wasted when you go to the program for 2 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon.

Good organization to start work

I enjoy my work. Going to different schools give me the opportunity to learn a different style of teaching and handling the challenging behavior of kids. Sometimes it’s stressing me also because I have to pick the job from the system every day and I couldn't find a school nearby & have to travel to a far location. School staff and Office staff are very cooperative, helpful, and understanding.Handling the challenging behavior of kids along with their challenging parents is also you can say art and this you cannot learn until you experience it. I have gone through this experience. It was hard but with the support of my area manager and colleague, I was able to establish control over the situation.In any job the main character is the management, if you have all the confidence and support of management you can fulfill your all organizational duties and responsibilities. I feel I am with good organization.

Pros

As a relief staff don't have stress of work

Cons

very day going to different location is sometime stressful

Some wonderful supportive educators work at this company! I will always remember that.

Overall in the child care and early years sector in Peel region as an educator this is a good place to work. Positive things this job possess:-Job security (although pandemic has impacted that somewhat)-Lots of opportunity for growth organizationally -Wonderful people -Health and dental benefits -Paid sick time, vacation time (if your in child care centres)

overall a great place to work at. I worked as a relief and the pay was great for something you did 5-24 hours a week. Great cuz you go to a new school everyday so the environment always changes.

Pros

pay benefits

Cons

sometimes shift gets cancelled

Stressful environment

- It is a very stressful environment. Communication is confusing coming from leaders. Guidelines and protocols from leaders are followed and exercised based on convenience. Nothing consistent. Very frustrating. - You end up working beyond your required hours, putting in a lot of extra work with no extra compensation.- The company boasts about being 'all inclusive' but it's far from the truth.- The annual parent satisfaction survey percentage numbers seem fabricated.- The previous leadership, 2010 and prior, were a lot more human in their approach. Very compassionate and honoured their staff.- What is classified as a non-profit organization is currently being administered like a corporation, only pacifying the likes of outside influences that can provide financial provisions.- The turnover rate and instability on the front line is very high.Be forewarned: when you think you will have a steady position at a specific location, you will be pulled to various locations in a moment's notice and you cannot decline. It creates a very unsettled feeling because you never know what is coming your way. - Area managers are great but very stressed because executives put undo pressures on them. Executive leadership should be changed and replaced with more compassionate and kind personnel, especially being an organization that is non-profit and works with kids.- The company has an authoritarian type leadership. If you do not comply with their demands, you are dispensable. Very sad for a non-profit organization. Very inhumane.- Current COVID note: the organization made accommodation -

Pros

It's great working with students and kids, working with front line co-workers, and the area managers.

Cons

Executive leadership.

Benefits are good, but to compensate the management issues.

Some staff are very passionate and the employees are some very hard working but overall at times it can be overwhelming. Not such a great experience with HR or area management. Hard to rely on superior staff as they may help you only on admin issues not interpersonal issues.You may get trained by staff that was not sure on how or what to do specifically. Admin staff is quite professional. Some can make mistakes or forget to do from management. You got to keep in contact with them as they rely on managers to send reports. Hard to work and handle issues. Unprofessional, not teamwork, work environment sometimes very disruptive. Personal life in between too much expected and too much pressure.

Pros

Free gifts coffee cards Benefits were good, but to compensate the management issues. Professional Trainings.

Cons

Long hours, long meetings, time management

Management does not understand ratio requirement when they don’t send enough relief staff or say I they have no relief staff available

Job advancement doesn’t exist unless you been in the company for a very long time .Head office does not provide the support that field staff require.

Cons

Too many to mention

Exceptional child care services, wonderful, well trained staff.

Fantastic leadership, compassionate staff, great benefits, rate of pay and RRSP matching. Exceptional training and mentoring. The before, after school and PA Day programs are exceptional.

Pros

Great rate of pay, benefits and RRSP matching

Cons

Not enough paid sick days

Fantastic Families---Horrible Management/Head Office

Worked there almost a decade. Directed multiple programs and camps. School were staff amazing, families and children were amazing. But the company head office really showed their bigotry and ignorance of the human rights and moral codes. Staff never really were never given support, basically it was deal with it rather than give extra resources. The company does not mind wasting money on their head office buildings and other non essential expenses. Trained staff are not really trusted to make a decision, however if something is wrong it's a staff person's fault. ie Ministry inspections. Pay is pretty good for the field, however again if they cut over head cost pay and sick benefits would be better. I loved the job, hated the company. Went in one morning, talked to Shrang about something very personal, then area manager went back to head office and within a few more hours I was let go. BTW the personal issue was nothing criminal/harmful/illegal.I can still remember Leal asking to meet up with me at a mall and offering me a payout to leave. (what payout I am not allowed to share, but it was a good according to my lawyer)So ya if you love kids, love working in a team environment (aka the other staff you may be on site with) that might allow you to over look the other side of that company. FYI the start and end that I must answer will not be correct

Pros

Kids, families, schools and staff you work alongside, colleagues

Cons

The administration office minions

Great to start with

Worked with PLASP for many years. Learned a lot, made a lot of good connections. Management does not support you. Some staff not fit for their job. Pay is great, can't beat it. Hours are good for starting off, unless you work all camps year round it is not sustainable for young person.

Pros

Pay, hours, flexible, ability to move around

Cons

Lack of support, school staff restrict us, staff not prepared for duties

I do not recomend this place to work...

Work culture is not the best. Supervisor shows not inerest in helping you as an employee. Expectations are hight but little or not support at all. You will be on your own the majority of the time.

Pros

Working with children and their families was great

Cons

The worse supervisor ever, you will be left on your own since the first day, Management doesn't care about employees at all, Coworker are awful.

Friendly environment

We are recognized by most of parents. Some make us feel proud. Some take out their stress on us. School staff sometimes make us feel unwanted. We have a great team work. We trust each other

Good experience working in schools

Overall not a bad place to work if you are trying to gain experience or wish to do a directors position and do not need a job with a ton of hours, however if you need a steady income it is not reliable or enough pay to get by. PROS the kids are great, when trying to build relationships with children for future work experience, good experience for working in childcare (ECE, CYW etc) , benefits/discounts ,management is nice when requiring support Cons- pay sucks, dress code makes no sense, it is sexist and leaves you little to no room on options to dress, locations are moved last minute, waste of gas driving back and forth to locations, hours are horrible, job sucks if you need consistent income, management is unreliable when telling you when you’re moving locations

Pros

Kids are great

Cons

Pay sucks

Absolutely enjoyed working at PLASP

If you enjoy working with children at a fun recreational level, you will love working at PLASP. The company offers workshops and continuously you learning new things. They provide an amazing package for before /after school program if you have school age children of your own. As an employee you are entitled to 50% discount for your children and you get to enjoy being able to work and have your children enrolled in the program at their school providing if is available. I would always recommend family, friends and even stranger to PLASP. Opportunity to grow within the company and you are able to apply for any position that becomes available within the company.

Pros

Free lunches at workshops and monthly area meetings, great benefits for health/dental, head office supportive staff available to assist you throughout your shift

Cons

Not working at a school in your neighborhood

Fun and pleasant volunteering experience

Depends on the children at your location, but mine were very fun and well-behaved for the most part. The teacher was very friendly to me and introduced the job very smoothly. It was volunteer work so there was no salary but it is an experience you can brag about and it does come with benefits if you volunteer there long enough.

Very productive and fast-paced environment!

I spent all day in a class alongside an ECE. THe administration were extremely helpful and worked with you, rather than against you. They helped you strategize on ways to ensure the enjoyment and success of the children.

Nice place to work

Good place to work for learning experiences. If you are a recent graduate or just looking to experience working with children in a before and after school program this will be great for you. Hours are flexible as you can work just mornings or afternoons or both and they try to place you in schools close to your home so less driving.

Repetitive work with cheerful colleagues

The work that I was assigned was very repetitive since I had to configure a lot of electronic devices over a short period of time. It was possible to complete this task because I had a great time working with my fellow team and staff members because they made it fun.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PLASP Child Care Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement