Plantlife Cannabis

Plantlife Cannabis Employee Reviews

Canada15 reviews

Stressful environment for everyone on the chain of command

A lot of store managers with this company seem to be trained to make their employees fearful of repercussions rather than fostering an environment of growth. Be prepared to be extremely micromanaged in everything you do and written up for the smallest of circumstances. There is also no transparency for what actions constitute a write-up and employees are NOT treated equal in this regard.Company also puts sales above all else, and not in a healthy way that benefits the company/staff. Employees are made compete against eachother in a way that creates way more tension and stress than necessary in entry level positions.Overall bad experience and the poor work environment hits the budtenders and goes all the way up to regional management. Do not recommend working for this company at any level.

Pros

Working around Cannabis, if that's something you like, you will learn a lot

Cons

High stress, micromanagement of staff, fear-based supervision

good

typical day at work was smooth, i learned a lot in this environment, the management was good, and the workplace culture was good too, the best part of the job was the staff

Insights into Plantlife Cannabis

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

Horrible management.

Great company, but horrible management at most locations. Lots of employees that get hired either get fired or quit within a month of working here !!! Wouldn’t recommend wasting your time applying here lol

Cons

Management, poor schedule, NOT full time

If you want to be forced to compete with your coworkers and love capitalism this is the job for you!

The corporate and competitive nature of this job is exhausting. Maybe some people thrive in that environment, but I personally entered the cannabis industry looking for a different type of retail. A LOT of cannabis retailers are life changing to work for and I’ve had some awesome jobs in cannabis! That is not what I found here at Plantlife. They pit us against each other and only care about who has the highest sales and who makes the most money. It’s allll about numbers here, and if you can’t keep up they cut you loose. If you’ve ever worked for a large corporate company like Walmart, that’s EXACTLY what the culture at place is like, just with weed instead of sweatshop clothes and reasonably priced groceries. If you enjoy competition, and cliques, and managers who exploit you, you’ll LOVE it here!

Pros

Decent hourly wage, cannabis education is adequate for beginners to the field

Cons

Low hours, competitive, disorganized, poorly managed, robotic

Do not recommend

Started out being trained by a first time trainer. Thought I learned it all but didn't actually. The manager was mean and rude and favored someone over me for everything. Called in because of weather and got 12 hours for the next schedule. New management is now in place but the place can't get their act together. If it's not one thing it's another. If you aren't the favorite then you don't get ahead at all. Do not waste your time here, not worth the mental stress, the upper management does nothing to improve anything and you get written up after you complain about the wrong doings around you.

Pros

Discount on weed

Cons

Everything but the discount

Great co-workers understanding managers

Honestly the Cannabis industry can be a bit of a struggle when it comes to finding good reliable workers and employers as well. I believe Plantlife is striving to break that stigma. The location I work at has a manager who genuinely cares about their employee’s which is quite refreshing in this day and age. Reiliable working employees get credit where credit is due which is also refreshing after leaving the cooking industry.

Pros

Weed discounts

Cons

Can be a slow sometimes.

Rushed, careless managemnt

only care about whether or not the staff was hitting budget, didn't care weather they were selling product to incorrect costumers. management puts on a front that they are promoting you to get you into staying until they make you hire your own replacement. once the have that going they'll have you gone with no hesitation or explanation. there was little to no training as well as no communication between stores or staff. don't follow legal hiring bylaws, or will walk the grey line as much as possible. wouldn't waste you're time or effort trying to please management for a raise because the furthest you'd go in the company is a transfer further then your original store.

Pros

good discounts

Cons

Everything else

Very poor management structure

Felt like there was no organization happening whatsoever within this company. Things would change from day to day with no advance notice. Did get a pretty decent discount on the weed though.

Pros

Discounts on weed

Cons

High turnover

Not worth the trouble

Inner circle drama. Favoritism. Gossip. Toxicity. Low wage. This company completed desecrated my mental state of being. It took me months to recover from being treated like I was incompetent. There are some good people here, but they also get treated like trash. Don't be fooled. They don't pay well enough for what they ask of you, and you could easily find a better wage elsewhere. If you value joy and peace in your life, you will stay far away.

Pros

Coworkers can be great, but that comes with the industry.

Cons

Not worth the low quality of life, better pay elsewhere

Not Supportive of Students

If you’re a student looking for a job, I wouldn’t suggest getting employed within Plantlife as I got fired when my schedule changed.Good job overall. I loved the environment and my coworkers more than anything.

Would not recommend

Typical corporation, they don’t care about the staff or the efforts you put in, it’s only about the money. Poor management, terrible policies, lack of communication from head office.

Pros

You get samples of really bad cannabis

Cons

Almost all of it

Work drama

Very beat around the bush sort of people so to speak. Not a great work environment, very little care about the employees. Not enough hours to make dealing with the drama worth it.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Not enough hours

Management is “transparent” and then your fired and don’t know why

Place is unprofessional, you get fired for being a great employee if you’re aGoofy person by all means apply there they don’t take the job serious so you can goof around not clean

Cons

No full time

Toxic co workers / gaslighting

It was one of the worse places to work , I have never felt so terrible in a job in my life. I was gaslighted and alienated by management. I'm all about empowering people and promoting. This company is only interested in you if you are under 25 and have no qualifications, that way they think you will put up with their low wages and ridiculous schedule expectations. I put my best foot forward and worked hard to overcome the obstacles with a smile. my reward of advancement was a lie. I was discarded like trash. It was a terrible experience!

Pros

selling cannabis/customer service

Cons

treated like you don't matter

Was amazing at the start then fell from grace

This workplace was an amazing opportunity to get my foot in the door into the cannabis industry but after some time the quality of the people around me and management as well as interactions between management and employees became very insufficient and immature

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Plantlife Cannabis. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement