Planet Fitness Employee Reviews

Found 36 reviews matching the search See all 3,052 reviews
Worst job i've ever had
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON18 March 2019
Unless you like constantly repeating the same words multiple times a day, then this is the job for you. Be prepared to present the same membership in the same format to new people interested and report to unprofessional managers. Also you have to clean every few hours.
Pros
Free workout
soft and light work
Member Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 March 2019
Management is HORRIBLE. Manager does not communicate with staff. Most enjoyable part of the job are my co-workers (not manager) and members of the gym.
Cons
cleaning the gym (machines and bathroom) everyday.
Cleaning w/ Incompetent Managers
Front Desk (Night Shift) (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB19 February 2019
I worked at Planet Fitness in Grande Prairie before the actual gym opened and we were only in the trailer.

Since then, here's the things I've learned about Planet Shitless:
-Human Resources is a joke. They've been emailed twice about the acting manager (who is still working) PF GP and the employees were notified that she wouldn't be staying much longer. Days later somebody came up and promoted her to GM.
-Things the manager did that warranted an email:
-Sleeping in the tanning booths
-Screamed at employees the front desk in
front of customers and other employees
-Wrote a write up on an employee and said it
was from another without their knowledge
-Consistently lying to uppermanagement
about insubordinate employees
-Shows up HOURS late for shifts yet writes
up other employees for being 5 mins late
-Could literally write a whole other review for
the manager alone
-When I started I was promised 16/hr as overnight, and was getting underpaid from the get go. They paid me back pay only because I threatened to go to the labour board.
-Despite working night shift, I was not allowed to sit and got written up twice for doing so. You try standing and cleaning for 8 hours.
-Employee confidentiality is also a GIANT joke to PF GP'S manager. She consistently told other people whenever writing me up, and tried to spread rumors between
  more... other employees to start fights.
-Theres a lot of judgement at this job being a "judgment free zone".
-This job is basically just a janitorial position with a gym membership attached.
Pros
The people I worked with were pretty cool (minus the manager)
Cons
Laughably bad management, exhausting work for basically no benefits, dont work here if you have any ambition on moving up in a company
horrible place to work
Overnight Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON8 February 2019
this is a horrible place to work. I got fired from the cambridge location because my significant other was in the hospital from a car crash and I had to leave work. they ended up firing me for that. the management is also horrible. The supervisor brings her child to work and makes a mess of everything, glitter everywhere, crayon drawings in the staff room. honestly any other location is probably great to work at but definitely not the cambridge ontario location on hespeler road. the manager also texted me that I was terminated which i think is very unprofessional. good luck to them in the future
Fun place to work!
Fitness Instructor/ Front Desk Agent/ Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON5 February 2019
Needs improvement on district managers!!! Overall great place to work, will provide CPR training, customers are always very pleasant. Always work to do but nothing intolerable.
Pros
Environment
Fun Job
Member Services Associate / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON22 January 2019
The job was fun, but higher up management wasn't great. You get a free membership (which includes tanning as well) so it was pretty good. Often worked overnight alone, however.
Pros
Free gym membership, good work/life balance
Cons
overnight shifts, open most holidays
Day at work
Front Desk Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 December 2018
Working here was a great experience and learning opportunity. Being able to work with and meet new people everyday was great. There was also days such as Pizza Monday's and Bagel Tuesday's that really brought the work place together.
Former Member sales rep Burlington
Member Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON20 December 2018
There is no security of your position
In the contract it states you can be terminated at any time without notice despite your tenure
As an employee you constantly clean daily so that the manager may receive a monetary bonus
They show no empathy or understanding towards their employees
Management poor with leadership skills there’s no leading by example rather just giving orders
Their only concern is money and how the gym looks, the contentment of their employees is highly neglected
There’s no incentives yet they push you to get black card sales, therefore it only benefits upper management.

For a job that pays the minimal but expects the most this place is definitely not worth it.
Pros
Enjoyed fellow member sales reps and interacting with the members on a daily basis.
Cons
Upper management is quite poor often on power trips, constantly cleaning, one break for 30 mins for 8 hours maybe a 15 as well if you’re lucky, always standing and If you get caught sitting it’s punishable even if you work overnight, you clean so your manager may reap the benefits of all your work
Incompetent Management
Représentant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 December 2018
Lucky that there is 1 star. I would have given 0 zero star. Management should consider keeping employees who have been here for along time and make sure that their employees are taken care specially the overnight. They work very hard but treated poorly. Imagine that I don't even work at night but I still issue with the management overall.
They should review the management because they're lazy and no equality among staff. Favoritism is culture here.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Lots. Lazy lazy lazy management. Nothing really good to say.
You're always cleaning.
Member Service (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 November 2018
Very good temporary job for younger people, but alot of hard work for a low paying wage job (hours of cleaning). Hours are good if you want to rack up some money, but hours aren't flexible especially if you're a full time student (only offer 8 hours). Breaks are paid for but you'd probably never get your last 15 minute break. Very fun workplace environment and alot of interaction with cool members. Management is very unorganized sometimes and will force you to do a double shift if they can't find coverage.
Pros
Free gym membership, paid breaks, good customer service experience.
Cons
No raises or benifits, no cellphone use during shift, long hours (only offer 8 hour shifts), a lot of cleaning.
A cleaning position with a different job title
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC25 November 2018
I got hired and left shortly. Here is what the 'FRONT DESK ASSOCIATE' job looks like at Planet Fitness.

-CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN
-No advancement
-Left alone a lot of times and told there is no law preventing you to work alone.
-Basic wage rate for daytime (Night time 13/hr)
-Standing all day long
-Interaction with fun members
-Company just cares about their money
-Zero work life balance and benefits except for a Black card membership that costs 21.99.

DO NOT WORK HERE UNLESS YOU ARE SUPER DESPERATE
Pros
Fun time with staff and members.
Cons
Everything else.
Comfortable, interactive, productive, inclusive, educational, fun
FRONT DESK REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 November 2018
On a typical day, I thrived in a work environment where I could exercise my sales expertise while engaging small to large group tours within a fast-paced, high energy environment.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Sub-par salary
Good place to workout not a good place to work
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON18 September 2018
At the Bowmanville location the manager is a toxic person and treats her staff bad she only cares about herself and she even yells at members when they prove her wrong. She is not a people person and shouldn't be the manager there. I left here shortly after she was hired because she made a fun and exciting workplace toxic.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Manager
Fun workplace with members and staff
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON3 September 2018
I enjoyed working here because i got to meet a lot of new people, learn about fitness and help anyone in need. Dealing with customers both physically and financially.
Love Planet Fitness
Assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK21 August 2018
The work environment is like family, close knit and hardworking. Lots of room for advancement and meeting tons of wonderful members that get to know you as well
Pros
Free membership for employees
stressless work place
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK8 July 2018
very less stress work place, lots of cleaning, sign ups, no incentives , learnt a bit about banking, helpful staff.
The only thing I hate is that they pay the base pay
Fun place to work, added bonus is a free gym membership
Front Desk Agent(overnight) (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC4 July 2018
Was a fun place to work, my hours always stayed the same and never went down...
Downside was working overnights and it took a toll on me..
You kinda feel like all you do is eat work sleep and repeat..
I'm glad I gave it a try though.. I know realize I'm probably not meant for that kinda work,
But its a great
Planet Sh*tness
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK27 May 2018
I found my time at this place miserable. A glorified "cleaning position" where you were expected to clean 70 percent of the time on shift.

Management was brutal and only cared about memberships sold. He had poor people skills and was very "aloof"

There was a lot of employee drama, where employees would talk behind each others back, and then put on that fake smile.

Upper management didn't care about the employees, just looked at club numbers.

The only plus side was the members, who I enjoyed interacting with on a daily basis.

If your management (assistant or manager) salary is fairly competitive and this is the only reason I stuck around.

If your not management your working for minimum wage. (How can someone survive on minimum wage nowadays?)

I would stay away from Planet Sh*tness
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
Too many to mention
Always changing, lots of cleaning, not good enough pay. Horrible training
Front desk associate (Former Employee) –  British Columbia14 March 2018
Managers side with employees they have befriended
Lack of training leaves lots of room for error
Cleaning 24/7 for minimum
Only get a lunch break
Pros
Free membership
Cons
No 15min breaks, lots of drama, mostly women working, not enough training
Low pay for hard Labor
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Canada12 February 2018
Trainers get less than 40 hours a week. (Doesn't feel like full time) You pretty much get the same amount as front desk workers. You only get a 30 mins break a day during specific times whether you're hungry or not because you have classes. Front desk workers get 1h break. Sometimes you start your shift early 6ams and sometimes you start in the afternoon, which can really mess up your sleeping habits. 1 trainer with thousands of 1st time gym users. You can only give them general fitness instead of making it more personal. In result, causing members to not be please with your service. This is more of a group class instructor position than personal training.
$13/h when I worked there.
When I got my Certificate my instructor told me you should not be getting less than $20 for personal training in general. Keep in mind, you pay to get certified($300-500), why settle for this? You are LIMITING your ABILITY.
Keep it mind the company pays you not the members.
Pros
Off on weekends but early 6am monday morning
Cons
Under Payed