Plan Group Employee Reviews

Productive learning environment, with a stable schedule
Red Seal Electrician (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB24 May 2019
I was able to maintain a job with this group until the work ran out. A reliable company for reliable workers.

A typical day would consist of 10hrs, a break at 10 and 2 each for 30mins. An apprentice, laborer, or journeyman would learn how to bend conduit, follow blueprints, fish and pull wire, also install light fixture and learn how to prepare a hospital with all its electrical components. The workplace culture was diverse from local worker to out of town workers who ranged from apprentices, laborers and journeymen. The hardest part of the job involved managing employees and structuring electrical rooms and other places where space was limited especially areas where electrical work was to be undone and redone with minimal space due to the other trades and their installations according to specs. Getting to work with such a diverse group and tradesmen from other walks of life helped to brighten the monotonous everyday rigmarole and to increase perspective and outlook of this world and the people therein.
Pros
There were some free lunches
Cons
There were periods of lay-offs without notice
Overall great place to work!
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON20 April 2019
A place where work-life balance actually exists, and co-workers are genuinely nice and friendly people.

Summer hours are great! We get to enjoy the a half day Friday off and the benefits are improving finally!

Management is okay but could be better, needs to be more progressive.
Pros
Free food, culture, office layout, extra-curricular activities
Cons
Office politics
Great environment very professional and just a great overall place to work.
Lead Hand Electrician (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB27 March 2019
This is one of the most organized companies I’ve ever worked for always willing to go above and beyond for the employees and to get the job done right. The level of professionalism they uphold is what makes them a great company to work for. I left on maternity leave and I’m sad I had to leave they made it easy to go to work everyday and I can’t say that about any other company I’ve ever worked for.
Pros
Great people. Willing to get any tool to get the job done.
Below average installations. Clicky office workers. Administer continuously leaked confidential information about layoffs.
General Foreman/ Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB. Richmond, BC23 February 2019
I believe they are a great company back in Ontario and they have a solid team back there. I have met office staff from Vaughn and they were pleasant and respectul. I cannot say the same for my posting in northern Alberta and then the Vancouver branch. I have seen some pretty terrible and unsafe work in my time but the Vancouver branch was horrendous I had to take photos for my 'OMG Electrical' photo album! The Vancouver employees, including supervisors on the Richmond Hospital had absolutely NO respect for company and government H&S policy and procedures. Very dangerous electrical termination and splices on both contruction sites with cheated couplings and EMT falling out of the walls, not to mention pipe fill well over CSA and spec reccomendations. I think what I find disturbing about these violations is that they happened on two different hospital complexes in two different provinces. I think if the Supervisors and management actually read the site specific specifications and the company's HSE representing did his daily site walks or even a weekly one (his day consisted of hours of YouTube videos) and if Plan had experience foreman, many of the forementioned issues would have been taken care of before they had a chance to happen.
Pros
Decent rate rate pay and benefits. All power tools supplied. No shortage of equipment.
Cons
Unproffesional approach to job specific installation, Sub standard craftsmanship, zero QAQC, Office staff spent way too much time playing when they abould have been taking care of business.
Down right toxic office moral
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC29 January 2019
The District Manager does not have a clue how to manage. Very paranoid! Runs around telling others about other office workers and how they are going to get fired. Micromanages everything. There was an attempt to bring Toronto up to speed as to what was going on. They turned a blind eye. As a result they have lost many office employees. The only bright spot is the Operations Manager but his hands are severely tied. RUN do not walk away.
Great Leadership with Opportunity for Hard Workers
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON24 January 2019
This was a great place to work. I felt that management were committed to their jobs and to helping me. A typical day is busy and fast paced. People are social and friendly.
2nd year Electrician apprentice
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 January 2019
Racist! If you aren't white I really don't recommend working for this company. I've been picked on multiple times by the manager and also felt left out ever since I've gotten there. Also you can get laid off for a while out of nowhere.
Pros
Union
Cons
Lay offs, high turnover
Stay away from the Vancouver office
Worked in the office (Former Employee) –  Vancouver3 January 2019
- low morale, very negative environment, constantly being watched for time in the Vancouver Branch.
-Management in the office is terrible. You have to work closely with an individual that is a dictator, emotional, and fake. The office is poorly run and has it's own practices which are different from head office. You get backlash if you reach out to Toronto to ask them a simple question...At the same time, Toronto provides close to 0% support and they turn a blind eye on all the issues. Company is SUPER CHEAP, used furniture in the Vancouver office.
-No one cares about people development in this office. There are no goals or direction.
- There is no appetite to work from home. If you need to come in later/leave earlier, and need time off, it turns into being a huge ordeal.
-The company's processes are SUPER ancient.
Generally decent company, upper management is severely disorganized
Apprentice Electrician (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC3 November 2018
Company is alright to go for your 8 hours, but upper management is pretty disorganized. People tend to get shuffled around from site to site and they take a long time to get back to you when you ask questions.
Not a good company
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 October 2018
Plan group was an okay company to work for when I started. After about 6 months into it, it all went down hill. I work in the Vancouver location of plan group and they are not organized at all. They do not take safety seriously nor do they take complaints that are being made seriously. Seems like no one cares about the workers. This should not be acceptable in the trade. Safety should be top priority aswell as serious complaints being made. They need change.
Happy employee
Apprentice Electrician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 September 2018
Been working for Plan Group as an electrician apprentice for 5years now.
Been very happy with how its been going.
Always paid properly for every hour, and o.t. hour clocked. Always worked for quality Foremans/Journeyman.

Hope i can continue my work with Plan as a Journeyman
Pay is alright and that's it.
Senior Purchaser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 August 2018
I came to work invisible and left work invisible.People lack manners and social graces.Very stressful and busy and no support.Every week I felt as if it would be my last.High turnover,I never felt secure in my position.A very cold unfeeling atmosphere.Pure misery.HR dept was a joke.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No security, hostile environment.High stress.High turnover.
Very Good Company
Architectural Technician / Revit BIM Drafter (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2018
Very professional staff, organized.
All workers are communicative and friendly.
Fast place where all projects changing so fast, what gives the enjoy and knowledge in different types of buildings.
Pros
Free Lunches, Coffee
Cons
Long Hours
well organized and safety aware
ELECTRICIAN (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 May 2018
Work was well organized and planned, material was readily available. quality tools were provided to complete the work that was assigned, on site training was provided to complete work in a safe manor. clean and well supplied lunch rooms.
great place to work
Electrician Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 May 2018
a very progressive company. well organized and a very good company to work with. all of their projects were very interesting and a challenge to work on. friendly and understanding, to any and all problems.
Pros
too hot in summer
Cons
too cold in winter
ok
Business Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 May 2018
very chalanging with the limited resources, lots of expectations with little support, poor pay, lots of bureaucracy, lots of paperwork
very safety conscious ,
Great Place to Work
PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario8 March 2018
Fast paced, projects that matter. unlimited resources. Union field staff are the best of the best. Integrated multi-trade sub-contractor that has the flexibility to perform as the GC.
Decent contractor for construction enviorment
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON7 March 2018
Good overall company ,upper management very unorganized. Lack of material on job sites, foreman not well informed about projects. Lack of consideration for work schedules and overtime.
Pros
Excellent safety practices
Cons
Long hours impossible time lines
good work environment
Journeyperson Electrician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 January 2018
the company has a high focus on safety, they also are good for providing the tools you need tools. they usually have afternoon and night shifts available for people who prefer that. lots of good people to work with.
Good
Mechanical Purchaser Porcurement (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON26 October 2017
Good company to work for. friendly and hard working co-workers.
Enjoy employee golf day as well Christmas lunch every year.
Good benefits. overall enjoyable place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Plan Group. Our community is ready to answer.