Plan Group

Plan Group Employee Reviews

Great at first when I started more than 10 years ago. Then a big company bought us out and it started to change. It was no longer family style culture more a professional get things done culture.
Pros
Great money, benefits and people.
Cons
Became too big and wasn’t a family setting any longer
Being that I have worked on similar projects as the cancer center here in Calgary, I expected that there would put quality above else. Not the case here, its a hurry up and get it done attitude. There are some decent foreman, but the majority are chosen on how well they take orders. The foreman are young and inexperienced. The company could benefit from getting some experience in their leadership, and treating the employees better. If you treat people well, they will perform better for you.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Young, inexperienced management. Safety comes second. No quality expected. Very fast paced.
As it often happens in the trades, the people you work with can either make your experience great, or terrible at a company, especially as an apprentice. So far in my career, I have been fortunate to work for a few great companies and some not-so great ones. My time at Plan group was very enjoyable. Even though they are a bigger company, they take care of their guys. The tool crib was always stocked with materials and tools necessary to do the job, and any defective or broken tools were promptly replaced. Plan spared no $$ on good quality stuff, so I was never stuck with an unsafe tool. They take safety very seriously, and actually enforce their policies - which may be good or bad depending on what kind of worker you are. As long as you follow the rules, and wear your PPE you are good to go. The guys I've worked with were top notch - professionals in their field, and invested in teaching a new apprentice new skills. I was given the opportunity to work in a team and independently as well. The foreman never stood over my shoulder or constantly rushed me to work quicker. Plan is huge, and they have no time for drama in the workplace - you go to work, do your job and go home. They reward good honest work and if you screw up, show you how to improve next time. Being a large company, the turnaround is also quite large, but as any apprentice knows our work has its ups and downs and we get laid off from time to time. I would not hesitate to work for Plan group again.
Pros
Great learning environment, new and safe tools, good camaraderie and some perks as well.
Cons
Fast employee turnaround depending on project, can mean sudden layoffs when you least expect it.
Really big company to work for they were only in Halifax for a short time and i really only got to work for them for a few months but the pay was good and the hours were there is you wanted them.
The resources are there to take the next step, it is up to human resources leaders/executives and senior management to lead the way. Very collaborative and friendly environment at the head office.
PlanGroup was a good place to work. Every one was professional. The foreman and lead hand all know what they are doing. Good culture and you can make a friend.
I loved my time with Plan Group. I was contracted with them for 3.5 years on multiple projects. If you work hard theres no problems. Management is too worried about fudging numbers to look good rather than producing a quality product. Not much room to grow as its very "cliquey" with management.
Best Place to work, organised, lots of support from other departments, Managers, Site Personnel. Training will be provided as and when require. competitive salary and benefits.
Depending on the job site you are on. You need to work independently; however, if you need help you always have people you can rely on at Plan-Group. The hardest part of the job is when the people change in the office you might have to learn an entire new language. Example: One project manager might call a work order and change document. They are the same thing but they don't realize that it is. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people you work with. No stress if you are a team player.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
No bonuses, no recognition
Didn't mind working for this company, lots of good people, paid weekly and only did 10hr days but management and foremans could of used some training to deal with workers
Pros
paid weekly
Cons
bad management
Since starting with Plan it has been great. Plenty of opportunities and support from all areas. Great people and work environment. There is room for improvement but what company is perfect.
Plan good is great company to work for good employees, diverse work experience and good benefits. I have been exposed to many different areas of the trade. They just don't seem to have a lot of work.
Productive and good place to work, learned new skills, management was excellent to work with, the hours of work allowed a good balance of work and social time
Some people in HR department are very rude. They just pretend that they are nice but they are completely two faces..Don’t trust them at all and don’t believe in what they say. Some of them are absolutely racist
Never been part of a job were two company were working “together”. Lots of micro managing for higher up. Will make anyone foreman, evening if they have zero idea what they are doing. Hundreds of commercial Journeyman out of work, but they hire industrial and residential electricians who have zero commercial experience. Provided tools and pay are about the positive thing about company. Your typical big company.
good place to work.plan group is a very competitive broad based company involved in all kinds of big and small projects. things are kept fun and intersting
This was my first time working in another country and it was surprised a lot with new culture and working environment. As a fast learner, I caught up pretty fast and did a good job with some scripting skill to help others colleagues automate some manual tasks.
great people to work for hands on and lots to learn No problem taking the time to help teach you how to complete a task in the proper manor to ensure customer satisfaction
Highly respectable and productive work environment. Great management and co-workers. Great communication on projects and very good compensation as well as treatment.
Promises of lots of work in orientation. They will hire ANYONE, they retain useless journeymen, people who won't work overtime. when the job slows down, they will lay off everyone who hasn't been there passed probation, regardless of how useful or hard working you have shown, or 60 hour work weeks. Vital materials show up 10 months late, boom and bust, pay dosent reflect skill speed or production
Terribly run company. PM's take no responsibility, and will pass the buck in a second to escape blame. They will downplay your achievements, and under pay you. No real pay structure, as new hires will be paid more than established techs, and be expected to do less. Getting more work form the same customer is not a goal of theres, as they regular mess up jobs and over charge for small fix ups. The grass isn't always greener, and Plan Group is a perfect example of this, I would avoid.
Pros
Easy to take Vacation off
Cons
Expect you to give up your life for a low wage.
  1. Employee reviews