Pioneer Youth Services Employee Reviews

Poor
CHILD & YOUTH WORKER (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON28 May 2019
Take the position at your own risk. The work environment is toxic at times. You are physically abused by the residents on a daily basis, however, they prohibit you from calling the police.
Been around for a while
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON10 April 2019
Great policy and procedures. Low turn over rate in resident.s High turnover rate in Staff. Company is able to adapt and adjust.
Days seem to go as planned.
Pros
Supervisors and supervisor support
Cons
Staff turnover/experience
life style choice
Assistant Residential Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON1 October 2018
Long hours, always hours
Unionized
Busy
Hard to deal with youth
great supervisors
hard mangement
great relationship and friendships
Life style choice of work
Front Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON19 June 2018
One to one worker (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON4 June 2018
Okay Starter Job
Relief Worker (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 January 2018
I do not agree with the philosophy of this company, which seems to be to make as much money as possible, however I do think it is a good place to start out if you're fresh out of school and need the experience. Lots of cool people work here, and the kids are amazing.
1:1/ Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON26 November 2017
Boys House
Relief Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 October 2017
It really is a fantastic place to work. This past year has taught me so much as a CYW. The most enjoyable thing is being able to sit around on the weekend and just hang out and watch movies or play video games to help build our rapport.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Drama
Full time front line (Former Employee) –  Queens, Albert22 October 2017
Demanding job
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 August 2017
Sometimes rewarding and sometimes very difficult place to work. Its been many years since I worked there so I hope things have changes drastically. Great group of employees.
Busy Workplace
Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 August 2017
Learnt a lot in my many years in multiple different positions. Great staff to work with, many different challenges faced daily. Excellent learning opportunity.
Life with 8 Austic Teenage Males
one to one (Former Employee) –  kitchener, ON19 March 2017
A typical day at Pioneer Youth Services consists of general household responsibilities like cooking, cleaning, shopping for groceries or needs for the individual clients, as well as laundry. The clients that I serviced were absolutely the most wonderful young men I have ever met. Like most houses and clients you have your "up" days and also your "down" days but every day is another chance to make a difference in our clients lives.
The gentleman I woked with needed alot of assistance with his personal day, ie. getting dress, toileting and supervision but each day I encouraged him to put his toast in the toaster, and lead a more independant life. On special outtings, my client enjoyed swimming but would drop his body to the ground and refuse to walk to the car. Many times we would wait for him to decide to move or provide creative way to get him to the car. One place WalMart offer a wheel chair for clients that struggle with walking issues.

The management were helpful with individual review offered every six weeks. The staff that I worked with were amazing! Some staff had different approaches to our clients, some worked, some not so much but each staff came with their special ability and we had some amazing suppers, and outtings.

I think the hardest part of my job was shifts when staff moved on from the company and having to break in a new staff member.

The most enjoyable part of the job is coming in and seeing their smiling faces, working to see that moment when they get something or just knowing you made a difference in their lives.

I really enjoyed these boys,
  more... for me it was like going home each day. As each boy moved to adult residence, it was good to know that each of them were so individual and special.  less
Pros
great outtings, share lots of laughs, singing
Cons
long hours, the drive from Woodstock to Kitchener, Waterloo
Great people, great youth
Front-line CYW (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON19 March 2017
I come into work everyday with a plan "A" and a plan "B." Keeping the kids busy is key to running a successful shift. The most important part of this job is keeping the kids safe. That means supervising them. Engaging the kids in activities that they enjoy, participating "with" them to show support and model appropriate social behaviour is part of the treatment plan. Structured and predictable environment is something these kids have not previously experienced in their family home. For example: having a healthy breakfast in the morning may not have been an option in the family home, at PYS kids are expected to come to the breakfast table because its healthy and social. Workers eat with the kids to help kids learn portions, make healthy choices, use manners and engage in appropriate conversation.
Building a rapport with the youth can be challenging but not impossible. They sense your passion and they sense apprehension. We try to help the kids to feel safe by showing them even when they are completely out of control, we are in control and neutral. We don't work with "bad" kids we work with kids who suffer from significant mental health symptoms. They have experienced trauma and extreme rejection from the very people who were supposed to care for them. Before they were even born they may exposed to drugs and alcohol and now struggle with the effects of a damaged brain.
I come to work everyday knowing the risks of their impulsive, and sometimes/often angry behaviour. It takes great people to work with the clients at Pioneer. Skilled, patient, flexible, non-judgmental, energetic,
  more... thoughtful, mindful, considerate, kind, forgiving, and passionate. I am so thankful for the staff in this agency that I work along side of who really do care. There are so many fantastic people who give so much of themselves to make a difference for these kids.  less
Pros
Directly supporting youth with mental health diagnosis
Cons
Employees that engage in negativity (doesn't help anyone)
Life with 8 Austic Teenage Males
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON14 January 2017

I really enjoyed
  more... these boys, for me it was like going home each day. As each boy moved to adult residence, it was good to know that each of them were so individual and special.  less
Pros
great outtings, share lots of laughs, singing
Cons
long hours, the drive from Woodstock to Kitchener, Waterloo
Great Workplace
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 January 2016
Job required multitasking all HR and payroll functions. Administrative work was coupled with employee relations, management support, and liaising with other departments and agencies as needed. Excellent co-workers who all want to give back to the community and help our youth.
A good organization to work for
full time Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON28 January 2016
I was a full time child and youth worker for Pioneer for several years. While I was at Pioneer, I found the salary/benefit to be excellent, almost as good as my husband's who is a teacher. Job security was never in doubt and there were lots of opportunities for advancement providing that you perform well. Management is very supportive. The job culture is the weakness. My peers tend to complain and gossip a lot instead of providing care for the children. I enjoyed working for Pioneer Youth Services and only quit because I was going back to school.
Pros
meals provided, luich hour paid for, excellent salary & benefit
Cons
complaints and gossip among workers
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 January 2016
Was a great place to work and all the staff have hard jobs but do their best for the children. Senior management team was great and really enjoyed coming to work everyday.
Learned something new everyday!
Front-line Case Worker (Former Employee) –  KItchener, ON5 January 2016
I was employed at Pioneer Youth Services as a front-line staff. I have recently left this position to relocate.

A typical day at work really depends on what shift your working. As a front-line staff the schedule rotates every 3-4 weeks depending on the residence you work at.

The job requires the staff to work as a team and sometimes independently to assist and support the youth that live in the residences to be successful in completing daily expectations and managing their emotions.

The best part of working in this position was that I was working with youth who experienced a variety of significant mental health issues first hand. I was able to learn how to support them when they were in crisis.

The hardest part of this job is learning to manage paperwork, and other job duties to ensure everything is complete. This job requires you to have excellent time management skills. (Good common sense also helps) The youth's behaviour's on any given shift can be unpredictable and can take time and patience to manage, this can quickly consume the time you have on a shift. Thankfully I was working with a fantastic group of individuals who were very supportive and we all helped each other. I have learned a great deal from my job and from those I worked with.

==
Pros
Good pay - learned lots.
Cons
Only located in Kitchener
Rewarding -
Residential Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON30 December 2015
I have worked at PYS for over a decade in many capacities. I have worked in the overnight, relief, front-line, assistant and residential supervisor roles. Residential treatment is one of the most challenging fields of employment that I have ever worked in physically and mentally. However, it is also the most REWARDING.

Pioneer homes are very busy, and no matter what role you take on as an employee the job is demanding. Pioneer deals with challenging clients who can no longer live with biological family or foster families. It takes a team effort to support and manage the youth through their routines/treatment on a daily basis. Keeping youth safe and out of the legal system is a huge part of this job. Collaboration with regional police, psychiatrists, medical doctors/specialists, court agents/probation and family and children's services gives employees exposure to community resources and multidisciplinary approaches for treatment. There's never a dull moment!

Like any job there are pro's and con's to be considered. Each employee is going to have a personal perspective of Pioneer Youth Services because of their own individual experiences within the company. I have seen many people come and go. I also know employees who have been with Pioneer for two decades because they love the job.

Resilience and patience are two of the skills that I am most proud of enhancing through my experiences at Pioneer. If you are looking for employment in the fields of psychology, social work or the legal system I would suggest looking at available job opportunities within this
  more... agency.  less
Pros
Saving our youth!
Cons
NOT and easy job.
AUTISM SUPPORT LIASON (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON24 August 2015

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pioneer Youth Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Pioneer Youth Services Reviews by Location