Pioneer Youth Services

Pioneer Youth Services Employee Reviews

Canada37 reviews
Management does not deal with issues properly. No meal breaks are given! You get injured at work quite often and not offered to go to the doctors on shift. Health and safety huge concern at this company! The kids rights are taken away quite frequently and it’s really sad!
Pros
Money isn’t to bad. 2 weekends off if your full time front line
Cons
Management. No breaks.
Great support from supervisors. Collaborative work among staff to help residents. Like every other health care/community services institution, there is staff shortage. Frequent CPI training to manage behaviours of residents. Pay is decent as compared to other group homes in the Kitchener/Waterloo area. Everyday is unique, with its own challenges. However, there is lots of fun to get with the residents
Pros
Support from supervisors, decent pay, free frequent CPI training, lots of fun with residents, collaborating amongst staff.
Cons
Like every other health care/community services institution, there is frequent staff shortage, frequent staff turnover.
Save yourself the trouble and look for employment elsewhere!

Management only care about the bottom line, and will abuse their employees to meet it. They don’t worry about retention, just about filling the residences (that are still operating). Will do whatever is necessary to save themselves.

Rate of pay is not worth the aggravation of working there workexpected of any position in the agency. Every position is pushed to the max: always wanting more, more, more. MORE hours, MORE work, MORE paperwork, but never be compensated for all of your efforts.

Supervisors also do not care about retention, just filling the open shifts. Training is non-existent...there’s no time.

Prepare to be used and abused if you make the mistake of working here.
Pros
Helping youth
Cons
Management, demands, bullying
Management didn't have proper training. Laws not followed. House told NOT to report abuse by management. Ratio was suppose to be 1:1 but was not. Was expected to watch 3-4 youth with high behavioural needs.
time management skills provided
paperwork/organization

therepeutic relationships developed

cpi is taught for free

very welcoming environment

can be overwhelming at times
Pros
build skills throughout the field
Cons
long hours, understaffed
No job security, they dont have the childrens best interest in mind, it is all about the money they get and not about the kids...the kids can be difficult but they have been through a lot and you have to try to be understanding
Take the position at your own risk. The work environment is toxic at times. You are physically abused by the residents on a daily basis, however, they prohibit you from calling the police.
I have been an employee at Pioneer Youth Services for several years and I enjoy my job. It is a very busy environment, which is what I love, and you learn something new every day. The kids are wonderful, they have their challenges but that is why they are with Pioneer. Working at this place has taught me so many new skills and I have learned so much over the years. Supervisors are very helpful and teach and guide the staff, so they have a better understanding as to what their job is. Training is offered and is quite helpful. The pay is significantly higher than any other company that offers residential treatment. There is a high staff turnover but that is due to staff not knowing what they are getting into when they work in this environment or not having the skills that are needed to work with the type of kids that Pioneer has. I like the open communication with the Supervisors of the homes and the staff as this is helpful in the learning process. There are many positives to the job, being able to be a part of making a difference in someone's life, spending time doing fun things with the kids, learning new skills and working with some amazing people. I would highly recommend working here as it is a great place to be.
Pros
Working with some awesome kids and staff
Cons
Fast paced environment
Great policy and procedures. Low turn over rate in resident.s High turnover rate in Staff. Company is able to adapt and adjust.
Days seem to go as planned.
Pros
Supervisors and supervisor support
Cons
Staff turnover/experience
Long hours, always hours
Unionized

Busy

Hard to deal with youth

great supervisors

hard mangement

great relationship and friendships

Life style choice of work
I do not agree with the philosophy of this company, which seems to be to make as much money as possible, however I do think it is a good place to start out if you're fresh out of school and need the experience. Lots of cool people work here, and the kids are amazing.
It really is a fantastic place to work. This past year has taught me so much as a CYW. The most enjoyable thing is being able to sit around on the weekend and just hang out and watch movies or play video games to help build our rapport.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Drama
Sometimes rewarding and sometimes very difficult place to work. Its been many years since I worked there so I hope things have changes drastically. Great group of employees.
Learnt a lot in my many years in multiple different positions. Great staff to work with, many different challenges faced daily. Excellent learning opportunity.
A typical day at Pioneer Youth Services consists of general household responsibilities like cooking, cleaning, shopping for groceries or needs for the individual clients, as well as laundry. The clients that I serviced were absolutely the most wonderful young men I have ever met. Like most houses and clients you have your "up" days and also your "down" days but every day is another chance to make a difference in our clients lives.
The gentleman I woked with needed alot of assistance with his personal day, ie. getting dress, toileting and supervision but each day I encouraged him to put his toast in the toaster, and lead a more independant life. On special outtings, my client enjoyed swimming but would drop his body to the ground and refuse to walk to the car. Many times we would wait for him to decide to move or provide creative way to get him to the car. One place WalMart offer a wheel chair for clients that struggle with walking issues.

The management were helpful with individual review offered every six weeks. The staff that I worked with were amazing! Some staff had different approaches to our clients, some worked, some not so much but each staff came with their special ability and we had some amazing suppers, and outtings.

I think the hardest part of my job was shifts when staff moved on from the company and having to break in a new staff member.

The most enjoyable part of the job is coming in and seeing their smiling faces, working to see that moment when they get something or just knowing you made a difference in their lives.

I really enjoyed these boys,
 - more...
Pros
great outtings, share lots of laughs, singing
Cons
long hours, the drive from Woodstock to Kitchener, Waterloo
I come into work everyday with a plan "A" and a plan "B." Keeping the kids busy is key to running a successful shift. The most important part of this job is keeping the kids safe. That means supervising them. Engaging the kids in activities that they enjoy, participating "with" them to show support and model appropriate social behaviour is part of the treatment plan. Structured and predictable environment is something these kids have not previously experienced in their family home. For example: having a healthy breakfast in the morning may not have been an option in the family home, at PYS kids are expected to come to the breakfast table because its healthy and social. Workers eat with the kids to help kids learn portions, make healthy choices, use manners and engage in appropriate conversation.
Building a rapport with the youth can be challenging but not impossible. They sense your passion and they sense apprehension. We try to help the kids to feel safe by showing them even when they are completely out of control, we are in control and neutral. We don't work with "bad" kids we work with kids who suffer from significant mental health symptoms. They have experienced trauma and extreme rejection from the very people who were supposed to care for them. Before they were even born they may exposed to drugs and alcohol and now struggle with the effects of a damaged brain.

I come to work everyday knowing the risks of their impulsive, and sometimes/often angry behaviour. It takes great people to work with the clients at Pioneer. Skilled, patient, flexible, non-judgmental, energetic,
 - more...
Pros
Directly supporting youth with mental health diagnosis
Cons
Employees that engage in negativity (doesn't help anyone)

I really enjoyed
 - more...
Pros
great outtings, share lots of laughs, singing
Cons
long hours, the drive from Woodstock to Kitchener, Waterloo